Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
As it happened: US reported coronavirus deaths pass 65,000 - BBC News

I meant to post this yesterday but ran out of time.

• Posted at 18:20 2 May18:20 2 May
      Will the UK investigate China?
      The government was asked at the daily press briefing if the UK would try to claim "billions in reparations" if it was shown that a lack of transparency from China hampered efforts to prevent the pandemic.

Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick said while "there will come a time" to analyse the origins of the virus and consider what actions to take, the time was "not now".

It follows international calls for an investigation into how the virus - first documented in the Chinese city of Wuhan - emerged.

At a White House press briefing last week, US President Donald Trump appeared to undercut his own intelligence agencies by suggesting he had seen evidence coronavirus originated in a Chinese laboratory.

In the same week, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said he would push for an investigation next month at the annual World Health Assembly, which is the decision-making body of the World Health Organization (WHO).

That body already plans to discuss calls for a "lessons learned" review of health emergencies.

Our science editor has looked in detail at the Wuhan lab theory and the lack of any evidence for it - have a read.

Article share tools
    • Posted at 18:11 2 May18:11 2 May
      What did we learn from today's briefing?
      The briefing was led by Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick alongside Dr Jenny Harries, Deputy Chief Medical Officer for England.
      • The total number of fatalities from coronavirus in the UK, across all settings, now stands at 28,131. The death rate is starting to come down "very gradually and very slowly"
      • 105,937 tests were carried out on Friday, surpassing the government's self-imposed target of 100,000 tests a day.
      • The government pledged a support package of over £76m to support victims of domestic abuse, vulnerable children and victims of modern slavery through the coronavirus crisis
      • Dame Louise Casey will oversee a national effort to ensure rough sleepers have safe accommodation in which they receive support whilst self-isolating
      • Any return of UK pupils to school will be done carefully and "may well be in a phased manner", but only when the time is right
      • The fact that the rate of transmission is "significantly less" outdoors than indoors is likely to be taken into consideration when lockdown measures are lifted
      • It is still not clear whether a person can catch coronavirus twice, but increased testing will help scientists in their conclusions
      Article share tools
    • Posted at 18:01 2 May18:01 2 May
      What is the R number and why does it matter?
      UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said to avoid the "disaster" of a second peak that we must keep the R rate below one.

But what is the R number and why does it matter? BBC health correspondent Laura Foster explains.

Video content
      Read more about these links.
  1. Posted at 17:25 2 May17:25 2 May
    Schools could be re-opened 'in a phased manner'
    Any return of UK pupils to school will be done carefully and "may well be in a phased manner" but only when the time is right, Robert Jenrick said at the briefing that finished a few minutes ago.

He said he was aware that home-schooling could be difficult and said there was anecdotal evidence that there was a huge range in terms of the quality of education that children are currently receiving at home.

"I am very focused upon those children who we know are vulnerable... and are at home and less visible," he said.

On the re-opening of schools, Dr Harries, England's deputy chief medical officer, said that children who get infected with the virus "tend to have less clinical disease" and that the disease is less likely to become severe.

She added there was some evidence to suggest younger children are less susceptible to the disease but further research was required.

I have just loved the international posts here. I don't think any of us could have kept up with Australia, the UK, France, South Korea etc....and Dr. Suheult and Dr. Campbell (ha!!) My biggest worry is that the US will not work as closely with these other international leaders when the time comes. His actions with the WHO were rather sad for me..but I still hope he comes back to their table when we all have to work on this together to learn something, and if necessary be prepared for a longer haul.. I dreaded typing that..a longer haul or a second wave.

The US just reported its deadliest day for coronavirus patients as states reopen, according to WHO

The United States just had its deadliest day on record due to the coronavirus as states across the country begin to ease restrictions meant to curb the spread of the virus, according to data published by the World Health Organization.

The U.S. saw 2,909 people die of Covid-19 in 24 hours, according to the data, which was collected as of 4 a.m. ET on Friday. That’s the highest daily Covid-19 death toll in the U.S. yet, based on a CNBC analysis of the WHO’s daily Covid-19 situation reports.

Before May 1, the next highest U.S. daily death toll was 2,471 reported on April 23

I keep thinking...no, people get it... they will not congregate on the beaches, or churches.. we know better now. But, geeez, when I see this number today,, I guess all i keep thinking is "what are we thinking?"

It helps to take a cooler of beer or a big yeti full of shakey juice. Then you get to clean them. ;)
Nice post..... I cannot afford a Yeti cooler( I am a tightwad also). People will steal them here in Texas...:(......Opinion - I am eternally grateful to the person that came up with the idea "to put wheels" on Coleman Coolers......:)..........moo

Last edited:
Yes, she drives herself and is only 7 miles away. Prior to this, she was here for a bit 3 or 4 times a week. My dog has started woefully sniffing things I bring back from my mom’s house (she sends bags of fabric and stuff when I drop supplies off). She had ordered some dog toys online for her and they sat at Mom’s house for weeks. Dog was ecstatic when I brought those home for her. They have a bond. If my dog had to make a choice who to save, she would pick my mom over hubby and me.
i know this is so cute...but also heartbreaking.... You can't take the dog over to her house for a visit??????

I heard a sports guy talking on all the issues, problems with starting..not starting sports clubs activities.. So many jobs, so many hardships, so much joy lost........ it is really terrible... I would not complain to see teams get special testing and treatment to play... i just wouldn't.
I wouldn't complain either. I think Sports is an 'essential' business at this time. It would surely help a lot of people to be able to focus on something together, that is enjoyable and would relieve stress.

Doctor: 'Take care when you clap for carers'

In this article there is a warning about being careful of accidents when going outside the home. Also in the article there are details of what the NHS doctor calls "our secret weapon" the CPAP machine and some descriptions of how it works

"She was put on a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine, which has been our secret weapon in the treatment of Covid-19. It blows air into the lungs, keeping them inflated, but the feeling is unpleasant - and the mask needed for machine to work can make people feel claustrophobic. Some of our patients just cannot tolerate it.

"At first I panicked, I'm not going to lie," Kelly told me when I visited her on the ward 10 days ago.

"I've never had anything like that before and I tolerated it for maybe about an hour or two, and I was fine. And then I told the doctors overnight that I wasn't having it on any more, it was so claustrophobic. It felt like I had no control over what was going into my lungs, even though I know it was helping me. I felt like I couldn't breathe.

"And one of the doctors gave me strict talking to and said, 'You know, if you don't have it on you are going to go downhill.' So I had it on again." "

My CPAP is like my pacifier. I can't go to sleep without it now... And there are so many different kinds of masks--some with two little air "pillows" inside the base of the nose. My guess is that they are using higher power positive air flow than the normal sleep apnea patient... but I must admit I feel good to have one here...

Two different sources... one is daily from hospitals and the health departments etc. (WHO and Johns Hopkins etc.) and the other source is from the lagging indicator of from death certificates... which takes weeks longer. Also, don't just look at 37,308 coded for COVID, add to that the number for those 16,564 that were coded COVID/pneumonia.

I'm seeing lots of naysayers to the numbers on facebook quoting the same thing. They say it's a conspiracy theory and use the link you have above to "prove" their point.

Go with JH and the sources we have been using

MOO

Where do you live? I would like to come hug you for finding/sharing and so often interpreting these great doctors and charts. ty, dixiegirl I am "so much smarter" cuza you!

Very good information. He's getting real technical now and building on what he's said before. I'm missing understanding it all, but at least I get the overall gist. Thank goodness for Dr. Hansen doing that one chart as it helped me understand more of what Dr. Seheult was/is talking about.

Coronavirus Pandemic Update 65: COVID-19 and Oxidative Stress (Prevention & Risk Factors)

ETA: I keep seeing information about free radicals with oxidative stress. Isn't that why a lot of people take vitamin E? I haven't seen him or anyone speak to such.

Could you remind us again of the Dr. Hansen one with the chart... I though i kept it in my email...but could not find.

Perhaps there is still a way for churches to be proactive in doing their part to stop the spread of Covid. Is there something that they can do to regain a more positive public image plus have a practical solution to the urgent needs of the current health care crisis?

Could they request permission to photograph each gathering, date it and store the photograph with their legal council? Then, if there is a question about transmission within the church, the church can quickly provide assistance, while maintaining the privacy of their members.

that sounds like a good idea. though am sure many would fight it. We have to figure out how other countries are so effective with tracking and tracing, knowing it is such a big part of the battle, but, at least, here in the US, it is so interpreted as violation to privacy.

I'm with you 100%. We need some entertainment to maintain (or restore) our mental health. Some people will be very upset (and lost) without sports.

AND I think this is a fabulous idea--- >getting cut-out people for the stands. These could be "contests" or "fund raisers" in cities and places with teams... Sports players could be part of it, getting cutouts of themselves that could be sent to contest winners etc. This could be a wonderful big deal with lots of teams...small to large. It's not just players out of work. Then entire sports systems employ so many. People need these sports to find a way.....

https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/germa...FFDGrfFCHSk0Q1SP32fbesE7OTo2Frtm2gK7sEMMS4ai4

It seems so 20th C for human contact tracers to interview and track down contacts of infected people when TraceTogether apps provide instant data. I realize that some people view digital tracing as a violation of personal rights. However, regardless of whether the information is obtained through conversation or bluetooth digital data, the result is the same. Time and location is revealed for the benefit of the person who is traced.

Most people don't realize that every time they walk into a shop, it is very likely that their cell phone ID has been recorded and tracked for marketing purposes. The TraceTogether app uses the same principals but, instead of collecting cell phone ID when it enters a shop, it collects cell phone ID proximity that is only accessed when the phone ID has been close to the phone ID of a sick person.

Digital tracing may seem like "big brother is watching" even though it's nothing more than the more reliable digital version of asking people who they were near. Furthermore, chances are that most people have already agreed to cell phone ID tracking with one or another cell phone download. The difference here is that governments are spelling out how it is used, whereas other apps bury it in consent to use an app.

Otto, you have a headstart on the marketing campaign "to teach folks"...keep it up!! spread it around!! Somebody has to.

I ran into the same problem... long wait time. Then I th
Prepping for May...

My current preps involved getting a deep freezer- no easy task as they are super hard to find. I also wanted an apartment size one because its just me here.

My first order at Amazon was cancelled, but I persisted and checked multiple times a day and voila...finally got a highly rated apt. size front opening one delivered 3 days after ordering!! Really happy now and its hooked up and so quiet - no dents, no issues.

I have also started using Instacart. Don't know why I never did before?? I would do a grocery pickup or farmstand pickup or farm delivery, but never Instacart. Am thrilled to say I used it last week, got my order in less than 2 hours and from my favorite store ALDI...I almost cried when i got my favorite items again....(I run a huge ALDI facebook group-64k and to say I missed the store is a huge understatement!) Having to go to other stores that do pickup (Aldi does not) was just not cutting it for me....grateful for Instacart!

I also went back to meal planning as figuring it all out willy-nilly was getting me nowhere here. Wasting food, or not knowing what to make, etc. So I have two weeks planned already.

Many folks in my area making face masks. I have done a bunch of "porch pickups" of various styles for my family and mailed them to them...such as an AirForce fabric for my father who is pretty stubborn, but I know his Dr visits and all the bases require masks....Va Tech ones for my brothers who all went there and nephews going now...Dallas Cowboys for one of my sister's who is a huge fan...etc. This is in hopes to encourage them to wear them of course.

Now, what are you all doing??

I ran into the same issue... long wait time, even though I thought I was ahead of the curve on ordering it). Then I decided to look for one that was "odd" or "different" thinking it was not as common a purchase. So found one that was "counter-depth" rather than regular depth--and it worked. got it in 3 days. It's actually pretty cool!

Hi, otto......Note to self - Leave phone at home when going out in the future. .......moo
What if we are only allowed out of lockdown if we take a smart phone with the downloaded app on it? Will people do that? What about privacy laws? Also I read that they only need a certain percentage to take it up anyway. (Not sure how that will work.)

ETA it could also sort out the church registration automatically too if they all signed up to an app.

Last edited:

Children
Uncommon 'New' Inflamatory syndrome in children:
Fever
Torso rash
Irritated eyes
Abdominal pain

Germany:
has partly reopened
In two weeks we may see new and excelerated number of cases
Hope it's in manageable numbers.
Churches are reopening but not allowing singing

The possible viral load in air will be reduced simply by opening up the windows.

Venezuela prisons and SA,
poorer SA countries,
prisoners don't get fed by authorities,
family visitors provide food.
If visiting is closed, no food.

A beautiful day in my neck of the woods. Sitting on the front porch with my laptop and coffee. Pups are milling around. Looking across the field enjoying nature.
A beautiful day in the neighborhood except I don't have neighbors!!!
Good for the pups to get fresh air.

Went to the pharmacy and picked up prescriptions. The workers were not wearing gloves or masks. I did not have a mask but I did have gloves.

AND I think this is a fabulous idea--- >getting cut-out people for the stands. These could be "contests" or "fund raisers" in cities and places with teams... Sports players could be part of it, getting cutouts of themselves that could be sent to contest winners etc. This could be a wonderful big deal with lots of teams...small to large. It's not just players out of work. Then entire sports systems employ so many. People need these sports to find a way.....

https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/germa...FFDGrfFCHSk0Q1SP32fbesE7OTo2Frtm2gK7sEMMS4ai4
Great idea! Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member