Found Deceased IA - Abdullahi "Abdi" Sharif, 18, Des Moines, 17 Jan 2020

A teenage Target employee left his store on a Friday night almost 2 weeks ago. He hasn't been seen since. This is not a new article, it is dated in March, but it does reference several times that LE thinks he may be missing voluntarily, or at least it started out that way. This is based on the last message he sent referencing "very, very bad" . LE and family do not know what he meant by this.
There is an award of $5,000 dollars for information. LE seems to still be very involved in following up leads.
This is agonizing for his family and all who know him.

A teenage Target employee left his store on a Friday night almost 2 weeks ago. He hasn't been seen since. This is not a new article, it is dated in March, but it does reference several times that LE thinks he may be missing voluntarily, or at least it started out that way. This is based on the last message he sent referencing "very, very bad" . LE and family do not know what he meant by this.
There is an award of $5,000 dollars for information. LE seems to still be very involved in following up leads.
This is agonizing for his family and all who know him.
This text about things being 'very very bad.'

Have they checked to see if anything bad happened at school? Like some bad grades or something, in which he'd worry that his family would be angry or upset with him?

My friend's 16 yr old daughter ran away briefly, and she had no idea where her girl was or why she had run off---turns out she was hiding at a friend's house because she and another student were accused of cheating on a math final...she was afraid of her father finding out so she hid for a few days...Police finally found her safe....

Makes me wonder if he did leave voluntarily at first?

If the PI knows the “identified group of people” that harmed Abdi, why are they not putting this group of people and this information on blast?

And regarding the body pulled from the river today...I have a feeling it is him. His phone last pinged in that area.

Last edited:
In regards to the body was found, it would certainly seem like a coincidence that it was found in river by Prospect Park. Which leads me to a question...

I live in Des Moines and was out of town the weekend of the disappearance. I know that day there was a big snowstorm, canceling school. I was thinking it was pretty cold the week or so leading up to that date but the beginning of the month was pretty warm. Does anyone know if the river would have been frozen over that weekend? (Sorry is already discussed).

Sounds like the authorities will give a statement on Monday regarding today’s finding. My heart goes out to friends and family of whomever it turns out to be.

Just my own thoughts and questions...

From what I have read, it would take like 5 years for a body in water to turn to a skeleton. So for a body in water for several months, I would guess a lot of bloating and disfiguration...

Also, regarding the river being completely frozen at the time of Abdi’s disappearance, I do not think it was, according to someone on another site. I am local but did not pass by the river during that time. There were probably ice patches here and there though...maybe someone else who lives near the river can confirm.

Last edited:
In regards to the body was found, it would certainly seem like a coincidence that it was found in river by Prospect Park. Which leads me to a question...

I live in Des Moines and was out of town the weekend of the disappearance. I know that day there was a big snowstorm, canceling school. I was thinking it was pretty cold the week or so leading up to that date but the beginning of the month was pretty warm. Does anyone know if the river would have been frozen over that weekend? (Sorry is already discussed).

Sounds like the authorities will give a statement on Monday regarding today’s finding. My heart goes out to friends and family of whomever it turns out to be.

Just my own thoughts and questions...
At this point I believe that’s exactly what it is, coincidence. Abdi went missing after a brutal snowstorm, I can’t imagine the parking lot would have been accessible, much less access to the river.

At this point I believe that’s exactly what it is, coincidence. Abdi went missing after a brutal snowstorm, I can’t imagine the parking lot would have been accessible, much less access to the river.
It’s not coincidence. I heard from a credible source it’s him. They will be doing a press release tomorrow at 2pm. His dental records are supposed to come in at 9:30am.

It’s not coincidence. I heard from a credible source it’s him. They will be doing a press release tomorrow at 2pm. His dental records are supposed to come in at 9:30am.
I’ll sure be watching for this. If it is in fact Abdi I’ve got to wonder how on earth he got there. I have a hard time envisioning a foul play scenario in that kind of weather.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Decomposition in a wet environment differs from other environments, both in the changes that occur and the RATE at which they occur. Typical decomposition changes proceed more slowly in the water, especially in cooler temperatures and postmortem changes are affected not just by the temperature of the water, but current, obstacles (underwater debris) and structures (piers, bridges) that may interact with the remains prior to discover. Cold water also encourages the formation of adipocere. This is a waxy, soapy substance formed from the fat in the body that partially protects the body against decomposition. Bodies have been retrieved almost completely intact from very cold water after several weeks. Medical examiners are trained in the uniqueness of immersed remains and understand as well that underwater predation may cause external damage to the remains that may mimic an injury. Such findings are normally interpreted with care so the ME review of remains found in water will not be hurried.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure glad to read this. Since not much was going on in MSM, I was worried that he had been forgotten. Thank you for your information.
That’s also a reason I’m hesitant to believe the body in the river has anything to do with Abdi. With all the local interest I haven’t seen any suggestion that this might be Abdi. Even the Facebook group that stays very active and just launched another fundraiser for the Private Investigator hasn’t mentioned it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back