Resolved WV - Harpers Ferry, Appal'n Trl, UnkSexAgeRace, UP75513, male clothes, Saint Mary nklce, Apr'20 - NamUs removed

Not the same crucifix/cross.

Do you mean Tom Duesterhaus's vs. UIDs? They look similar to me but that's just a casual glance on mobile so I probably missed something.

Side note about the jewelry: IMO these remains have probably been out there for many years. The remains are skeletal and scattered and the clothing degraded, but the state of the jewelry stands out to me. I would be surprised if the PMI is less than 5 years and I don't think this is Aigeltinger.

Last edited:
The FBIs ViCAP poster states the crucifix is four inches long. IMO that's slightly large for someone to wear as a necklace. I'd be interested to know if there were any mass productions of the crucifix and the St. Mary necklace. I'm not sure how said things are produced, but it may give way to a time period at least.

The FBIs ViCAP poster states the crucifix is four inches long. IMO that's slightly large for someone to wear as a necklace. I'd be interested to know if there were any mass productions of the crucifix and the St. Mary necklace. I'm not sure how said things are produced, but it may give way to a time period at least.

IIRC a crucifix that big is usually worn by Roman Catholic clergy.

Welcome to Websleuths, RubbleWoman_05, and thanks for the heads-up! You make a great point. I noticed the poster also provides more detailed location information:
Remarks:
The victim had the following clothing: a blue dress shirt, a red jacket with a light stripe across the chest, white Puma high-tops, and a white sock with three red stripes. The victim also had the following jewelry/possessions: a crucifix and a necklace with an image of Saint Mary.

Details:
On April 7, 2020, the remains of an unidentified person were located in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, off of the Appalachian Trail (specifically the Loudin [Loudoun, IMO :)] Heights Blue Trail/Orange Trail). The deceased was wearing a blue Montgomery Ward brand dress shirt, a red jacket with a light stripe across the chest and elastic cuffs and waistband, white high-top Puma shoes in size 10, and a necklace with an image of Saint Mary and the inscription ‘O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.’ A subsequent search of the area on April 10, 2020, recovered a white sock with three red rings and a 4-inch crucifix. No cause of death has been determined.

Submit a Tip:
If you have any information concerning this person, please contact your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.

Submit an anonymous Tip online“ (BBM)
AE7365E6-956B-4933-84E5-17E0B35446B2.jpeg
UNKNOWN VICTIM - HARPERS FERRY, WEST VIRGINIA | Federal Bureau of Investigation

About the Louden Heights Trail:
“Cross the hiker-friendly section of the highway bridge over the Shenandoah River then follow the staircase under the bridge to reach the base of Loudoun Heights. Continue up the AT 0.9 miles to the intersection with the orange-blazed trail. Turn left for a break from the climb and hike about 0.5 miles on the orange trail to the first overlook. At the top of the mountain turn left on the blue-blazed trail. Two more overlooks along the power line cut preview the beautiful vista waiting at the Split Rock overlook. Backtrack on the blue-blazed trail to return to the orange-blazed trail and then down to the AT and the descent back to Lower Town.“
Loudoun Heights Trail - Harpers Ferry National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Directions to the Harpers Ferry NHP's Visitor Center by car, MARC Commuter Rail and Amtrak:
Directions - Harpers Ferry National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

“As the psychological mid-point of the 2,178-mile Appalachian National Scenic Trail (AT), Harpers Ferry is home to the non-profit Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) headquarters.”
Hikes - Harpers Ferry National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

More on the Appalachian Trail:
Appalachian National Scenic Trail (U.S. National Park Service)

Obvious this crucifix is much bigger than the one Duesterhaus wore.

Has there been any reports of missing priests in that area within the past, I don't know, maybe 5 to 10 years?

Thanks, @inmyhumbleopinion! Awesome information, BTW! And I agree, @MaryG12. I don't think this is Duesterhaus, but you never know...

My fascination with the St. Mary's necklace took me down a slight rabbit hole. I ended up finding out it's called the Miraculous Medal. See background information here: The Meaning of the Miraculous Medal

Additionally, I took a screenshot of the medal and pulled it up in photoshop to try and lighten it up a bit (see photo). Something interesting to me is that Mary has no face. Quick Google searches of the medal all showed a rendition of the medal with a face. Depending on the age of the medal, and it being subjected to the weather/outside environment over the years, it could have definitely worn off. But I find this unlikely since other parts of the medal are still so detailed. I'm curious about what other think on this.

Perhaps I'm deep diving into something that has little substance in the grand scheme of things, but I still think there is more to see here...

Attachments

• Miraculous_Medal.jpg
    Miraculous_Medal.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 54
Thanks, @inmyhumbleopinion! Awesome information, BTW! And I agree, @MaryG12.

Additionally, I took a screenshot of the medal and pulled it up in photoshop to try and lighten it up a bit (see photo). Something interesting to me is that Mary has no face. Quick Google searches of the medal all showed a rendition of the medal with a face. Depending on the age of the medal, and it being subjected to the weather/outside environment over the years, it could have definitely worn off. But I find this unlikely since other parts of the medal are still so detailed. I'm curious about what other think on this.

I actually do see a face. Mary has her head bowed but I can see an eye and mouth. Might become clearer if the medal was cleaned up.

Attachments

• WV App Trail Mary face.JPG
    WV App Trail Mary face.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 55

I have a crucifix that's just about 4" tall. Mine came from a "Church Restoration and Supply" store. It has the Stations of the Cross on the back and came with a keychain ring attached to it. This was back in 2005. I was researching 306ufpa at the time and, on a whim, stopped into the store to see if I could find anything similar to her crucifixes.

As an aside, the ladies in the store were so nice and helpful and I really felt I should make a purchase. I picked out this crucifix (attached). But the ladies, hearing the story of the Bensalem Doe, gave it to me and said they'd pray for me and the unknown lady.

It would be nice to know what the AT Doe's crucifix is made of. Is it a heavy metal like I remember the nuns wearing back in the day? Or more lightweight like mine? That alone may give some indication of it's origin.

Attachments

• Crucifix front and back.JPG
    Crucifix front and back.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 78
Thanks, @inmyhumbleopinion! Awesome information, BTW! And I agree, @MaryG12. I don't think this is Duesterhaus, but you never know...

My fascination with the St. Mary's necklace took me down a slight rabbit hole. I ended up finding out it's called the Miraculous Medal. See background information here: The Meaning of the Miraculous Medal

Perhaps I'm deep diving into something that has little substance in the grand scheme of things, but I still think there is more to see here...

My grandmother has a necklace similar to this and the details have actually faded a lot due to how often she touches/rubs/prays with it. Like how a statue will turn gold in a spot its constantly rubbed? Maybe the person was incredibly religious and prayed a lot with it? Or on the other hand was an anxious person and rubbed it for comfort over and over again. It might have to do more with how long they had it as opposed to how long it was out there

One thing that might be difficult about this case is how long the trail is, and how many people hike it either end to end, or in long pieces that can span multiple states. It's also something someone might travel a good distance to get to if they are interested in hiking. How far from the trail should we be looking?

One thing that might be difficult about this case is how long the trail is, and how many people hike it either end to end, or in long pieces that can span multiple states. It's also something someone might travel a good distance to get to if they are interested in hiking. How far from the trail should we be looking?

I really wouldn't put geographic limits on the search for the reasons you mentioned. They could've even come from abroad.

However, IMO the clothing and shoes suggest that this probably wasn't a hiker, and Harper's Ferry is within close proximity to several major metro areas like DC. I think it's a good idea to focus on the Eastern US, and consider not only potential hikers, but also transient people, people who may have been suicidal or met foul play, e.t.c e.t.c. They could've been dumped there, they could've been experiencing homelessness and living on the public land around the trail.

Extending the search past just the trail and WV, Michael King was last seen in Pennsylvania about a half hour to hour from the AT. He was also last known to be in an orangish jacket and white sneakers (a different brand but the same color and similar style to the pumas). His family said he had a "large crucifix" that he wore and a few rings. They unfortunately dont have a picture of the necklace but I'm wondering if by large they mean the size of the one found?
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I know this is a really long shot (probably not him?)

John Patrick Kerrigan

I realize his clothes were initially found in Montana where he was murdered but what are the chances he was dressed by the killer in other clothes and dumped across the country?

Has it actually been confirmed the body is of a male? I’ve gone through the posts a few times and I haven’t seen it mentioned. I apologize if I missed it.
I have not seen any confirmation that it's male, but the clothing and shoes suggest it is.

Respectfully, I'd suggest keeping an open mind until there is confirmation of Doe's sex. There have been a few MP cases wherein the missing woman was wearing/known to wear men's clothing. The same is true for missing men. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janewiththedogs
Back