GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former PD and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arbery was a football player and graduated from Brunswick High School in 2012.

He went on to attend South Georgia Technical College.

Cooper said that her son was pursuing a career as an electrician.

Thanks. That info led me to this article. He was enrolled at SGTC for two semesters 8 years ago.

From the link:

Arbery was enrolled at South Georgia Technical College in the electrical systems program in the fall 2012 and spring 2013 semesters, according to the technical college.

Officials respond to Ahmaud Arbery’s death

Was the home under construction or being renovated? "Under construction" led me to expect a bunch of 2x8 framing. Without the porta potty on the front lawn, it would look like any other home, at least in that video.

I also see a person enter what looks like a garage but I don't see him come out. I see someone enter the frame from the left side of the screen, but would that be the same person? How did he get there?

I'm putting this in the "not my job" category.

I see him run across the front of the house now.

2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 17 - CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
CHAPTER 4 - ARREST OF PERSONS
ARTICLE 4 - ARREST BY PRIVATE PERSONS
§ 17-4-60 - Grounds for arrest
O.C.G.A. 17-4-60 (2010)
17-4-60. Grounds for arrest

A private person may arrest an offender if the offense is committed in his presence or within his immediate knowledge. If the offense is a felony and the offender is escaping or attempting to escape, a private person may arrest him upon reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion.

2010 Georgia Code :: TITLE 17 - CRIMINAL PROCEDURE :: CHAPTER 4 - ARREST OF PERSONS :: ARTICLE 4 - ARREST BY PRIVATE PERSONS :: § 17-4-60 - Grounds for arrest

The question for me is two part.

Part 1: were the McMichael's present to witness or have direct knowledge? UNKNOWN but not likely IMO. I think it more likely that R is the first 911 caller and the man seen on the video showing Arbery enter and then exit the open construction site. I suspect after the first 911 call another was made to the Ms because police did not seem to take the first 911 call seriously enough to suit the caller.

Part 2: Was the offense witnessed or with direct knowledge of a felony? And here is where that citizen's arrest thing grinds to a halt for me. No it was at most a misdemeanor trespass.

then we get to the self defense prong of this case.

2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 3 - DEFENSES TO CRIMINAL PROSECUTIONS
ARTICLE 2 - JUSTIFICATION AND EXCUSE
§ 16-3-24 - Use of force in defense of property other than a habitation
O.C.G.A. 16-3-24 (2010)
16-3-24. Use of force in defense of property other than a habitation

(a) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with real property other than a habitation or personal property:

(1) Lawfully in his possession;

(2) Lawfully in the possession of a member of his immediate family; or

(3) Belonging to a person whose property he has a legal duty to protect.

(b) The use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to prevent trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with real property other than a habitation or personal property is not justified unless the person using such force reasonably believes that it is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
2010 Georgia Code :: TITLE 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES :: CHAPTER 3 - DEFENSES TO CRIMINAL PROSECUTIONS :: ARTICLE 2 - JUSTIFICATION AND EXCUSE :: § 16-3-24 - Use of force in defense of property other than a habitation

This does not apply to this case IMO because the property in question is the construction site, there was no forcible entry and most importantly, GM and TM did not have a "legal duty" to protect it.

A person is not justified in using force, if that person

a) initially provokes the use of force against himself/herself with the intent to use such force as an excuse to inflict bodily harm upon the assailant; or

b) is attempting to commit, is committing, or is fleeing after the commission or attempted commission of a felony (define arguable felony); or

c) was the aggressor or was engaged in a combat by agreement, unless the person withdraws from the encounter and effectively communicates his/her intent to withdraw to the other person, and the other person still continues or threatens to continue the use of unlawful force.

O.C.G.A. §~16-3-20, 16-3-21
GA 3.02.10 Justification; Use of Force in Defense of Self or Others – Law of Self Defense

[edited to clean up orig source formatting - too large]

To answer one of your questions. If you look at an interactive street level map of Satilla Drive, you'll see it was literally impossible for Senior to have witnessed Ahmaud entering E's unfinished house/construction site.

The address of that site is 220 Satilla Drive. Junior's address is 230 Satilla Drive, and Senior said he was in Junior's front yard before the pursuit. 222 Satilla is the house to the left of the construction site, as seen in the surveillance camera from across the street. It's the house with the white truck parked in the driveway.

Junior's home is 4 houses further down the road, and on the same side of the street as the construction site. Thus, it was literally impossible for Senior to have seen Ahmaud enter E's (under construction) house.

About your thought that it was R who placed the first 911 call. That makes sense, imo, because of what's said on the call, especially his emphasis on alleged prior burglaries, not on the "trespassing" he's witnessing. Which also makes it likely that R is the guy in overalls seen in the video, across from the site, the only visible peep in the video in the position to see Ahmaud enter E's house.

What's interesting is that unless the time is off on the surveillance video, the first call to 911 was actually made BEFORE Ahmaud entered the property.

2:08 (and seconds). Ahmaud comes into view, stands on site's front yard.

2:08. Call to 911.

2:09. Ahmaud goes inside (the garage?).

2:12. "Overalls," across the street, walks into plain view, clearly watches as Ahmaud runs from the site, turns right and runs down Satilla in the direction of Junior's house. Overalls runs in the same direction, then turns back.

If Overalls is R, perhaps he saw Senior in the front yard and they decided, together, to give pursuit?

Another quick note. Whoever made the second 911 call at 2:14 knew Junior, and seems to have witnessed at least some part of the pursuit.

I don't think it was to quell tensions but rather to incite a division based on how some might look at the justifiable actions of his clients. If you look at this as a crime, they hunted him. If you look at this as protecting your neighborhood, all one's actions are justifiable based on a single burglary that might have been committed by this man of color.

Police were on their way, Travis McMichael getting out of the truck with a shotgun was a threat.
The arriving police literally heard the shots.

Last edited:
It certainly suggests that. Which is my point. If it were true, why can't they find anyone to say so? Maybe I've missed it.
Why would they need to find anyone else to verify that he was a jogger? Both of his parents, a coach, and a friend have already indicated that he was. Why assume they are lying?

I'm not sure how it is relevant to the fact that he was killed. Even if he wasn't a jogger and decided to take a look at a house under construction, the men had no right to chase him down and kill him. They had no evidence that he was in the process of carrying out a crime, especially a felony.

Their decision to chase him was based on an assumption. Even the man following in the truck said he didn't recognize the guy.

Why did they assume he was a "burglar?" What was there to steal from an empty house? Did they really believe he was going to steal some construction equipment and attempt to run several miles home with it? It sounds to me like it is McMichaels who is lying to justify the crime.

Imo

Why would they need to find anyone else to verify that he was a jogger? Both of his parents, a coach, and a friend have already indicated that he was. Why assume they are lying?

I'm not sure how it is relevant to the fact that he was killed. Even if he wasn't a jogger and decided to take a look at a house under construction, the men had no right to chase him down and kill him. They had no evidence that he was in the process of carrying out a crime, especially a felony.

Their decision to chase him was based on an assumption. Even the man following in the truck said he didn't recognize the guy.

Why did they assume he was a "burglar?" What was there to steal from an empty house? Did they really believe he was going to steal some construction equipment and attempt to run several miles home with it? It sounds to me like it is McMichaels who is lying to justify the crime.

Imo

They don't need anyone to verify he's a jogger. What they need is someone to verify the statements in their news article. jmo

Last edited:
They don't need anyone to verify he's a jogger. What they need is someone to back up the statements in their news article. jmo
Well, I guess they don't always name their sources. They did name the parents, I believe. I thought they identified the coach, as well. Maybe not the friend. They mentioned his post on FB.

Has anyone posted his FB information? Is it allowed? I thought it was ok for the victim and the suspects. That might give us some clues for both the victim and the accused.

Imo

And why in the 2nd video is it sped up to look like he was jogging? Looks to me like he was walking and became interested in the house when he got close to it.

Also, he looks unsure whether or not to enter as he walks up to the garage and turns around and stands in the driveway for a minute before returning to the house.
<rsbm>

I would like to see that video in real time. By the speed of the vehicles on that street, I would say the video is at least 4 times real time. The way it is sped up it presents as if he ran quickly to the house. If it is slowed down to real time, I believe it shows that he had just broken from a jog and started walking (arms down rather than elbows bent when jogging). As you say he ventures onto the lawn and heads toward the house, but then comes back toward the street and appears to stand with his hands on his hips looking toward the house (IMO, as if he finds it interesting and is debating whether to go in). IMO, standing out in broad daylight at the corner of the property where anyone can see him does not indicate someone who is intent on burglary.

Well, I guess they don't always name their sources. They did name the parents, I believe. I thought they identified the coach, as well. Maybe not the friend. They mentioned his post on FB.

Has anyone posted his FB information? Is it allowed? I thought it was ok for the victim and the suspects. That might give us some clues for both the victim and the accused.

Imo

The parents said he's a jogger and the coach says he saw him jogging somewhere a couple of months ago. The article linked above says (bolded by the OP}:

Ahmaud’s route would take him along the flat, curved road outside the home he shared with his mother, then into the unincorporated community of Satilla Shores on the Georgia coast just outside of Brunswick. Ahmaud would wave to the regulars on his route.

But doesn't provide a single source for that. So for me, it's fiction as of right now. jmo

Imo
Very good question.
Surprised no one has found his page.

Last edited:
brief video statements from Cooper-Jones (Arbery's mother) to First Coast News

brief video statements from Cooper-Jones to NBC news

Interview the mother of Ahmaud Arbery
NBC Montana footage of answers with Cooper-Jones (this appears to be raw footage containing only her responses but not the questions being posed by interviewer?)

Here is a Don Lemon CNN interview with Cooper-Jones
Georgia man shot and killed while jogging, mother says - CNN Video

in the last linked interview Cooper-Jones (2:45 mark) states she was originally told by authorities on February 23rd that her son was involved in a burglary and that there was a confrontation between her son and the homeowner and that her son was shot and killed during the tussle involving a struggle over the firearm.

It is MOO that If evidence existed that there was a burglary involving AA we would have already seen it. It goes directly to the alleged motives of the accused so if there was some sort of evidence linking AA to a crime it would have been leaked to "quell tensions" and not the video of the shooting itself, which has had the polar opposite effect.

<rsbm>

I would like to see that video in real time. By the speed of the vehicles on that street, I would say the video is at least 4 times real time. The way it is sped up it presents as if he ran quickly to the house. If it is slowed down to real time, I believe it shows that he had just broken from a jog and started walking (arms down rather than elbows bent when jogging). As you say he ventures onto the lawn and heads toward the house, but then comes back toward the street and appears to stand with his hands on his hips looking toward the house (IMO, as if he finds it interesting and is debating whether to go in). IMO, standing out in broad daylight at the corner of the property where anyone can see him does not indicate someone who is intent on burglary.

Great point.

If the video was sped up perhaps an estimated 4X and it was consistent, then the speed could easily be reduced to normal speed with any video program.

Just can't figure out why the "seconds" are randomly speeding up and slowing down.

I wish we had other door cams or surveillance from other houses prior to him stopping at the property that he entered.

It certainly suggests that. Which is my point. If it were true, why can't they find anyone to say so? Maybe I've missed it.
At least one of the local Brunswick News (thebrunswicknews.com | Voice of the Golden Isles) articles that I linked on the first few pages of the thread noted that he ran/jogged. One neighbor in Satilla Shores, who preferred to only use her first name, Nancy, noted she regularly saw him jogging there. I'd repost the link for which specific article it is, but when you access their site too many times, then it won't let you access without buying a subscription. I've apparently maxed out their page views for my PC.

Marcus Arbery said his son, who aspired to be a boxer, was athletic and known for taking daily jogs. Ahmaud Arbery lived in Brunswick, one town over from Satilla Hills, where the McMichaels live.

"He took his body very seriously, always ran and had pride in everything he did," said Marcus Arbery. "It cuts me deeply how his life was taken. I would have preferred them to come and take my life instead."

Cooper said when police told her that her youngest son was shot and killed inside a home during a burglary she had no reason to question it "because it was authority talking."

At least one of the local Brunswick News (thebrunswicknews.com | Voice of the Golden Isles) articles that I linked on the first few pages of the thread noted that he ran/jogged. One neighbor in Satilla Shores, who preferred to only use her first name, Nancy, noted she regularly saw him jogging there. I'd repost the link for which specific article it is, but when you access their site too many times, then it won't let you access without buying a subscription. I've apparently maxed out their page views for my PC.

Protesters "Run with Maud" In Satilla Shores

McQueen’s sons, Rafael and Akeem Baker, grew up playing sports with Arbery, she said. “It’s ridiculous that this young man is gone and these two are sitting around having dinner right now. We understand that the people who live in this neighborhood didn’t do this. So we don’t want to be disrespectful to them. But we’ve got to be heard.”

In fact, some residents joined the march. Nancy and Ann (both declined to give last names) filed in with the marchers at Zellwood Drive. Nancy said she often saw Arbery jogging through the neighborhood. She just wanted to show her support.

“It’s my neighborhood,” Nancy said. “I had seen him jogging. It scares me that something was this reckless. I know the McMichaels, but this just wasn’t right.”

ETA: tlcya beat me to it

PS about whether R made the first 911 call. Based on the list of witnesses in the original police report and their addresses, Overalls was definitely
a witness, but is highly unlikely to be R.

Also, I'm thinking the timestamp on the surveillance tape is likely off, at least by a few minutes.

After listening again to the 911 call at 2:14: the caller says he doesn't know what street "WE" are on. He sounds somewhat breathless. Says there is a black male running down the street, then moments later, yells "stop!" Stop that, d-ammit! Travis!" It sure sounds like gunshots are being fired during the call.

Thinking caller #2 is most likely R, and that he called 911 at almost the exact time he began recording the video.

This news channel link to the exterior / across the street video doesn't appear to have time speed ups or annotations. It's an extended time frame which includes quite some time before AA arrived and quite some time after he departed the home construction site.
"We chose to post the entire video clip provided, which is 22 minutes long. The man is first seen entering the frame at 13:31 in." New video in Ahmaud Arbery case offers a view of what happened moments before the deadly shooting
Thanks , @JaxFlaGal !

I was looking for this.
I think the edited/fast-forwarded clips were for time constraints on various news sites; and not necessarily to prove jogging/walking ?

Unbelievable. ^^^
Gmafb.
LE had reason that very day, to make an arrest for both shooters re. my previous post and links.
And this act of violent crime would have been dealt with as necessary and a full investigation started.
The DA (both of them) shut LE down and would not allow it.
Now, all of a sudden it's LE's fault ?
Liars.
Tom Durden and Jackie Johnson.
I'd be interested in what other cases have crossed their desks.
And which ones were dismissed/downplayed/charges dropped, if any ?
A man is dead and the DA's wanted this shut down.
Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members