Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just signed up for a coronavirus antibody test. Tomorrow at 11:45AM. $130. Couple of days turnaround, I think.

Why? I think I had coronavirus, and would put the odds at 75%. This would likely mean my wife and daughters had it as well since we have been together for 2 months.

My symptoms-

Late February, early March: I felt off for about two and half weeks, experiencing usual fatigue. I got winded and a little weak going up two sets of stairs where I never did before. I felt like I was running at 50-75% energy. The first week I was at my desk and felt a strong fatigue come on and also felt slightly feverish. I took my temperature the next day but it was normal. From then, I just had the fatigue and my light cough persisted, tapering back to normal in a couple of weeks. Now none of this is particularly pointing to CV, but I suspect the virus since these were symptoms I never had before- I recall thinking that at the time. It wasn't until a month ago that I tied this episode to possibly being coronavirus.

My boss/colleague at work also had a month long cough, weakness etc before my episode. He joked about probably infecting everyone (10) at work with a cold, but this was before coronavirus was thought to be a possibility in Massachusetts.

So hoping for a great outcome- a positive reading. I repost with my results when I receive them.

Questdirect

I am so eager to hear the results. So is the process to request easy enough? Who are you going through? My daughter and her boyfriend live in NYC, and she had very similar symptoms as you--extreme fatigue, headaches, and winded when never before. He had a cough, but she did not. I am trying to get her to get antibodies, but she thinks she cannot. So any further wisdom on how to make this happen is very appreciated.

I am so eager to hear the results. So is the process to request easy enough? Who are you going through? My daughter and her boyfriend live in NYC, and she had very similar symptoms as you--extreme fatigue, headaches, and winded when never before. He had a cough, but she did not. I am trying to get her to get antibodies, but she thinks she cannot. So any further wisdom on how to make this happen is very appreciated.

I think I heard that most medical plans will cover the test IIRC, but you need approval though your doctor. I saw an opening available tomorrow so I didn't want to wait days to find out if it is approved. So I just went to the website and paid by credit card. No doubt the best purchase I have made this week (but it's also the only purchase I've made this week).

Rapport and also confidence are going to be essential skills - and also an acute understanding of the neighborhood. Not all communities are alike or will respond the same, and I'm assuming that will be covered with training.

I'm very skeptical that Americans are going to participate in tracing or appreciate anyone knocking on their door to ask questions. I don't have high hopes tracing will work, sorry to say.

jmo

KFF Health Tracking Poll – Late April 2020: Coronavirus, Social Distancing, and Contact Tracing

This article suggests 66% would support tracking
  • While the public is divided in their willingness to download apps for their phones as a way to trace and monitor the contacts of people infected with coronavirus, support increases to as high as 66% once people hear the argument that this could allow for many schools and businesses to reopen. Republicans are less willing to download and use a contact tracing app than Democrats and independents.

they might not find it so funny if someone ended up getting injured by obstructing the cops

In Montana the police have decided to educate people. And not escalate situations further. As it can lead to situations where LEO are exposed to Coronavirus.

Every jurisdiction is different. But there may be a lot of issues when people go to court and state that they were exercising their right to peaceful assembly.

My daughter-in-law had antibodies test almost three weeks ago and still waiting on results.

I’ve had the Corona virus for five weeks Thursday! Have run fever every day. Luckily I skipped the dry cough and lung problems, however, have had almost all the other symptoms. My doctor has been in constant zoom meetings with me. Finally reached the requirements of my state to be tested, test came back negative! My nurse said they are getting a lot of tests returned negative. This is the new test with a two day turn around. Blood pressure is fine. Have another meeting in the morning. It will be interesting to see where we go from here. Please stay safe. This virus zaps all your strength.

Just signed up for a coronavirus antibody test. Tomorrow at 11:45AM. $130. Couple of days turnaround, I think.

Why? I think I had coronavirus, and would put the odds at 75%. This would likely mean my wife and daughters had it as well since we have been together for 2 months.

My symptoms-

Late February, early March: I felt off for about two and half weeks, experiencing usual fatigue. I got winded and a little weak going up two sets of stairs where I never did before. I felt like I was running at 50-75% energy. The first week I was at my desk and felt a strong fatigue come on and also felt slightly feverish. I took my temperature the next day but it was normal. From then, I just had the fatigue and my light cough persisted, tapering back to normal in a couple of weeks. Now none of this is particularly pointing to CV, but I suspect the virus since these were symptoms I never had before- I recall thinking that at the time. It wasn't until a month ago that I tied this episode to possibly being coronavirus.

My boss/colleague at work also had a month long cough, weakness etc before my episode. He joked about probably infecting everyone (10) at work with a cold, but this was before coronavirus was thought to be a possibility in Massachusetts.

So hoping for a great outcome- a positive reading. I repost with my results when I receive them.

Questdirect

Good luck! And thanks for the link.

Lack of masks, social distancing ‘concerns me deeply,’ SC epidemiologist says

As South Carolina begins to reopen and restart its economy in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, preventative measures to further limit the spread of COVID-19 will be crucial moving forward to avoid a new surge in cases, experts have said.

But state epidemiologist Linda Bell, speaking during a virtual meeting of the Richland County ad hoc committee on the coronavirus on Tuesday, said she was “alarmed” by examples she’s seen in the community of people failing to practice those measures.

“I don’t want people to lose sight of the prevention measures. I am rather alarmed by the fact that as I try and restrict my activities in public, when I do go out, I would say that 10% of people in the businesses and stores when I have been out this past weekend had on masks,” Bell said. “And so I think that message is being missed. From a policy standpoint, reinforcing what we can to do to prevent disease is equally important, perhaps, as finding disease that’s already present.”

Throughout May, Gov. Henry McMaster and the state government has begun easing restrictions imposed at the beginning of the pandemic, lifting a “home or work” order, allowing restaurants and retail businesses to open with limits and permitting the state’s beaches to reopen.

https://www.thestate.com/news/coronavirus/article242678556.html

In Montana the police have decided to educate people. And not escalate situations further. As it can lead to situations where LEO are exposed to Coronavirus.

Every jurisdiction is different. But there may be a lot of issues when people go to court and state that they were exercising their right to peaceful assembly.

exercising their right to peaceful assembly does not include physically obstructing police officers from doing their job IMO

Sweden size: 450,295 km²
Ireland size: 84,421 km²

I'm going to bring Scotland into the comparison also. Scotland's population and area is similar to Ireland and although the figures being quoted for Scotland deaths are 1,912, (382 per million) this article states the real figure is 2,795 ( 559 per million) so much higher than both Sweden or Ireland.

328 Sweden
297 Ireland
382 Scotland (now 559)

Earlier lockdown 'could have stopped 2,000 deaths'

WHO sees "potentially positive data" in treating coronavirus

GENEVA (Reuters) - The World Health Organization said on Tuesday that some treatments appear to be limiting the severity or length of the COVID-19 disease and that it was focusing on learning more about four or five of the most promising ones.

The Geneva-based WHO is leading a global initiative to develop safe and effective vaccines, tests and drugs to prevent, diagnose and treat COVID-19. The respiratory illness has infected 4.19 million people around the world, according to a Reuters tally.

"We do have some treatments that seem to be in very early studies limiting the severity or the length of the illness but we do not have anything that can kill or stop the virus," spokeswoman Margaret Harris told a briefing, referring to the body's so-called Solidarity Trial of drugs against the disease.

I ordered the 3M anti fog safety glasses thru Amazon.ca. I'll let you know how they work. It says delivery May 16th. Key word says. I'll be back to work Thursday but have plenty of other glasses/goggles I'll just have to muddle thru with.

Toilet duty for Jakarta's social distancing violators

AAAkOaU.img

Toilet duty for Jakarta's social distancing violators

2 hrs ago
Indonesians who violate social distancing rules in the capital could soon find themselves forced to clean toilets to atone for their sins.

Latrine duty is among a range of punishments listed in new rules aimed at battling coronavirus infections in the Southeast Asian megacity of Jakarta.

Going outside without a mask can result in a 250,000 rupiah ($17) fine, while residents gathering in crowds could be forced to clean public facilities -- including toilets -- while wearing a vest that labels them as rule-breakers.

Russia opens ventilator investigation after hospital fire kills coronavirus patients

Russia opens ventilator investigation after hospital fire kills coronavirus patients

5 hrs ago
Russian authorities are investigating the safety of ventilators, some of which have been sent to the US, after a fire broke out in a St Petersburg hospital, leaving at least five people dead.

The blaze erupted at St George's City Hospital after a ventilator in the intensive care ward treating patients with COVID-19 burst into flames on Tuesday morning, a source told the TASS news agency.

A similar fire — caused by the same model of ventilator, according to a law enforcement source speaking to TASS — killed one person in a hospital in Moscow on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonFly57