Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bars packed in Wisconsin. Why?

My guess, in order of importance from the patron's viewpoint-
1) they consider this like the flu (and they aren't afraid of the flu)
2) they just want normal
3) they want to show they are unafraid
4) they want to support the local businesses that are a part of their life
5) they are resisting being told what to do
6) they have not personally seen any impact from CV

What they wouldn't consider important for their actions is-
1) concern for others
2) future negative economic impact of the actions
3) appropriate knowledge of the dangers of coronavirus (can get sufficient information from a couple Facebook memes)

From the bar pictures in the article this looks like young people primarily. Truth is they will not personally be affected differently than the flu, although the flu goes away and coronavirus is highly infectious and is here to stay. And I doubt that the young people packed in a bar would change behavior even if they lost a grandparent to the virus.

I think Americans are more selfish than many European and Asian countries, and a significant part of the population is fixated on rights in a way that they don't want to be a subservient part of a collective action (right or wrong). So IMO, with a highly infectious and asymptomatic virus like CV, and poor testing capability, we never had a chance to stop the spread- regardless of action.

Hours after Wisconsin court stops stay-at-home order, residents pack bars | Boston.com

Last edited:
The contract tracing scheme doesn’t require location services or a google account. It will be opt in and controlled by an App at first. Later it will become part of the device operating system but still allow user control.

https://covid19-static.cdn-apple.co...-tracing/pdf/ExposureNotification-FAQv1.1.pdf

If I were a restauranteur, I'd require people to have the app and put that into my reopening plan. Way better than the liability of having a trail of CoVid cases traced back to the business and seems to be a very proactive thing to do.

The numbers are extremely insignificant and it's being "headlined" as though they're not, imo. We can agree to disagree on that and why.

I don't think any child being ill is insignificant, so yes, we can just agree to disagree and move on. But some of us do think it's significant and I fear that even if it's only .1% (1 in 1000) kids who have had CoVid, that's very sad and awful.

Trump says virus chief's warning 'not acceptable'

US President Donald Trump has said a sobering warning by his top infectious diseases expert about lifting pandemic restrictions too soon was unacceptable.

He accused Dr Anthony Fauci of wanting "to play all sides of the equation" in his testimony to lawmakers on Tuesday.

The president said he was especially dissatisfied with Dr Fauci's caution around reopening schools too quickly.

Covid-19 has infected nearly 1.4 million people in the US and killed 84,000, while ravaging the economy.

What did the US president say?
Speaking on Wednesday at the White House, Mr Trump took issue with Dr Fauci's comments to a Senate hearing a day earlier about the risks to children of reopening and his assessment that a vaccine was unlikely before classes could begin this autumn.

"Look, he wants to play all sides of the equation," Mr Trump said of his top coronavirus expert's concerns.

p08d39zl.jpg

Media captionHow Denmark reopened its primary schools
"I was surprised by his answer actually, because, you know, it's just to me - it's not an acceptable answer, especially when it comes to schools," the president told reporters.

He said "the only thing that would be acceptable" is giving older teachers and professors a few more weeks before they return.

"Because this is a disease that attacks age, and it attacks health," the president said.

p08d3k8t.jpg

Media captionStay-at-home protesters clash with city council president in California
"But with the young children, I mean, and students, it's really - just take a look at the statistics. It's pretty amazing," Mr Trump added.

The Republican president is keen to get Americans back to work and has praised governors who are moving to do so while criticising others for not acting aggressively enough.

The country is split over Mr Trump's focus on protecting livelihoods, and critics accuse him of gambling with lives to serve his own political interests ahead of November's re-election bid.

They have no choice but to revert to good cop/bad cop now.

In total 2 children under 15 have died in England & Wales of COVID-19.
Schools were open until 20th March
We locked down on 23rd March
Our death rate peaked around mid April.

It does seem that children are in a very low risk category. I personally know of one child who has had it, his mum is a nurse and she caught it working on a CV ward. They are (touch wood) the only people I know in real life who have had the virus, luckily both had extremely mild cases.

FactCheck: what are the coronavirus risks to children?

I never thought I'd find a real use for my Apple Watch's decibel meter, but there it is!

Interesting. One thing I've noticed on subways (in New York, London, Paris and Milan, which are the only places I've regularly used them) is how quiet, in general, the sardine-like passengers actually are. As the train emptied out a little (we were staying in Hammersmith), the London teens and young people did start talking more, but when it was really crowded, I didn't hear much conversation. Don't know if that's normal, as we were only there for a month and we were on the train around rush hour nearly every early evening (heading back to Hammersmith).

At any rate, I think this would work in a restaurant or food court environment, if there are any open to go to.

Good to see that biologists are echoing Prime Minister Justin Trudeau - speaking moistly, etc.

Former Director of the Arizona Department of Health Services:
"The data point that I think is most useful is…the number of new hospitalizations per day,”...
(Because those numbers aren't affected by inadequate testing)

Which stat may give you some clarity on coronavirus in Arizona | 12news.com
Is it safe to go out? This stat may give you some clarity

But do 'hospitalisations ' automatically mean Covid19? Aren't other types of illnesses happening now too?

If I were a restauranteur, I'd require people to have the app and put that into my reopening plan. Way better than the liability of having a trail of CoVid cases traced back to the business and seems to be a very proactive thing to do.

Great. So going out to eat dinner now includes inviting "Big Brother" or whoever into every tick of information on your cellphone.

Yeah, uh, I can see many people who would not be interested in that. And also, there is a section of the population, believe it or not, that still does not have a smartphone.

Coronavirus: Reopening dates set for daycares, gyms, campgrounds, BMVs and more

Gov. Mike DeWine and Lt. Gov. Jon Husted announced reopening dates for multiple industries, including childcare, day camps, gyms, pools, campgrounds, Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicle offices and horse racing.

Daycares and childcare facilities will be permitted to reopen May 31 with a reduced number of children. Day camps can also resume on May 31.

Campgrounds can reopen on May 21 and gyms and fitness centers on May 26.

Low-contact and non-contact sports, including baseball, tennis and golf, can resume on May 26.

Higher-contact sports, such as hockey, basketball, football and soccer, are not part of the reopening yet.

DeWine noted that some sports leagues depend on school facilities to operate. Husted noted that technically school buildings are closed, but the grounds are not.

Pools regulated by local health departments can also reopen May 26.

Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles will reopen on May 26, Husted said, but he encouraged people to utilize online services as much as possible.

Bars packed in Wisconsin. Why?

My guess, in order of importance for their viewpoint-
1) they consider this like the flu (and they aren't afraid of the flu)
2) they just want normal
3) they want to show they are unafraid
4) they want to support the local businesses that are a part of their life
5) they are resisting being told what to do
6) they have not personally seen any impact from CV

What they wouldn't consider important for their actions is-
1) concern for others
2) future negative economic impact of the actions
3) appropriate knowledge of the dangers of coronavirus (can get sufficient information from a couple Facebook memes)

From the bar pictures in the article this looks like young people primarily. Truth is they will not personally be affected differently than the flu, although the flu goes away and coronavirus is highly infectious and is here to stay. And I doubt that the young people packed in a bar would change behavior even if they lost a grandparent to the virus.

I think Americans are more selfish than many European and Asian countries, and a significant part of the population is fixated on rights in a way that they don't want to be a subservient part of a collective action (right or wrong). So IMO, with a highly infectious and asymptomatic virus like CV, and poor testing capability, we never had a chance to stop the spread- regardless of action.

Hours after Wisconsin court stops stay-at-home order, residents pack bars | Boston.com

This is what my students are saying in their end-of-term essays. That Americans, especially the youth, are selfish. One student questioned whether young Americans have a "worldview" at all, perhaps a "selfview," she said.

The entire class said that their eyes have been opened to aspects of American culture that they had not noticed before. Being young, they thought we were more unified. The older students did not think this (oldest is in his forties).

I agree with you completely, about how no matter what kind of pandemic plan we had, we wouldn't have been able to execute it as a nation.

I wonder what will happen next. We're about to be excluded from visiting the EU once it reopens, until we get a handle on our rising numbers. Even California is going in the wrong direction, a tiny bit, with our very soft reopening.

We shall see. Canada won't let us in. Mexico won't let us in. We are rapidly becoming a very large island, with a patchwork of different views on how to proceed.

Great. So going out to eat dinner now includes inviting "Big Brother" or whoever into every tick of information on your cellphone.

Yeah, uh, I can see many people who would not be interested in that. And also, there is a section of the population, believe it or not, that still does not have a smartphone.

Nope, just at my restaurant. I'm sure you could find one that doesn't care. And restaurants are capable of studying their own demographics (as are salons). For many of us, we wouldn't go to a restaurant that wasn't using current technology. I live in the Los Angeles area. We have app-driven bowling alleys and reservation systems. There are already restaurants where you have to have an app to reserve (they are often either the big au courant chains - or more upscale, like in the Funk Zone of Santa Barbara).

Overseas tourists seem to like this system. I'm a DE on TripAdvisor and while people are divided on the topic, a vast number of people want hotels and restaurants to be "on an app." So different strokes for different folks, as always. I wonder what McDonald's will do, though. They have their own app (very popular) and it already knows where you are and logs your device. Millions have it. So McDonald's may just go ahead and collect that data as they have been...quietly.

Right now, where I live, restaurants are supposed to be phone-in or app driven, and pick-up/drive-through only.

It's estimated that about 15% of Californians don't have smart phones, but that same group has a much lower disposable income (in general) than the ones who do - so if I were running a restaurant, I know which group I'd cater to.

This is what my students are saying in their end-of-term essays. That Americans, especially the youth, are selfish. One student questioned whether young Americans have a "worldview" at all, perhaps a "selfview," she said.

The entire class said that their eyes have been opened to aspects of American culture that they had not noticed before. Being young, they thought we were more unified. The older students did not think this (oldest is in his forties).

I agree with you completely, about how no matter what kind of pandemic plan we had, we wouldn't have been able to execute it as a nation.

I wonder what will happen next. We're about to be excluded from visiting the EU once it reopens, until we get a handle on our rising numbers. Even California is going in the wrong direction, a tiny bit, with our very soft reopening.

We shall see. Canada won't let us in. Mexico won't let us in. We are rapidly becoming a very large island, with a patchwork of different views on how to proceed.

It is interesting what you say about not being 'unified', because I never realised until this pandemic how fragmented the US is in terms of different state laws and governance. It is true that Americans hold slightly opposing values to many other countries; your individual and constitutional rights appear to be valued more highly than the rights and safety of society as a whole.

Nevertheless, as I have said from the start, this is a truly international crisis and in my opinion we must all try and help each other be it in terms of shared information, science, medicines, equipment, and even emotional support.

I don't think any child being ill is insignificant, so yes, we can just agree to disagree and move on. But some of us do think it's significant and I fear that even if it's only .1% (1 in 1000) kids who have had CoVid, that's very sad and awful.

It's statistically insignficant. Which is different, obviously, then personally significant. There are millions of kids around the world ill every single day. No headlines. jmo

This is just insane! I know the cruise lines were offering huge discounts and incentives for people to rebook, but August seems way too soon.
And I'm assuming most people also fly on a plane to get to the port where the cruise ship is. Lots of traveling in close quarters with lots of other people.

Good luck to them - as we all need it.

jmo

Well, my son had to suck it up and wear a mask yesterday. My grandson fell off their bed and broke his right collarbone/clavicle. He called and asked of it was safer to go to urgent care or if he should go to ER.
ER... sigh... My son said they questioned him repeatedly about travel and exposure, took their temps several times and after about 2 hours they went to x-ray.
Broken.
So, my son's fiance has to find an orthopedic and make an appointment for a "later date".
I guess this is a lesson that life, in fact does go on and we can only quarantine to a point.
Poir little guy is only 15 months old! It makes me sad to know he has a broken bone.
Moo

oh no poor baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members