Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can scent dogs find people under water?

Yes, there are “water search dogs”:

“Water Search Dogs are also known as Water Recovery Dogs or Water Recovery K9s. These specialized search and rescue dogs alert to human scent in the water. Typically, they're trained to alert to the scent of human remains. Water Search Dogs help police find victims of drowning or to locate other bodies in the water.”

Water Rescue Dogs and Water Search Dogs: What's the ...

—-

_79699984_dog11.jpg

The dog that finds underwater bodies

—-

“WATER SEARCH DOG

A water search dog is trained to detect human scent that is in or under the water, focusing on the scent of the bodily gases that rise up. As a team, the handler and dog usually work in a boat or along the shoreline. Because of currents and general changes in the water, it can be hard to pinpoint the location of a body. To enhance the chance of location, a diver should be ready to search as soon as the dog indicates. Additional teams, unaware of the previous teams' findings, work independently to indicate a location. This allows team members to determine the most likely location of the body.”

Dogs In Search And Rescue

Last edited:
I just read an article that said 26% of the homes ( 1 in 4 ) are vacation homes. Also saw this one about the effects of our current stay at home situation on your community.

'Social Distancing' Begins to Wear Thin, Social Isolation Grows, Hostility Appears - by Jan Wondra - Ark Valley Voice

In the past few weeks, Ark Valley Voice has received communications from some residents and a business executive, who asked to remain anonymous, that paint a picture of hostile phone calls, name-calling by some waiting in line to safely enter grocery stores, epitaphs hurled at cars going by with out-of-state license plates, “tattling” on neighbors who appear to break the rules, and trailheads filled to overflowing with cars with out-of-state license plates, triggering a verbal confrontation.
Given the Covid 19 lockdown situation, there is indeed a lot of polarization among people, with tempers and frustrations flaring. In my neighborhood in CA, a local woman made a huge scene in a local grocery store, refusing to wear a mask and shouting at those of us who were complying. A physical fight nearly followed, and police needed to intervene. Protests are happening elsewhere in the state, with near violence.

Could it be that some nutcases are so worked up that someone may have harmed Suzanne out of sheer bravado and misplaced violence?
Likely not, but it's a thought. A lot of hotheaded punks are devoid of self control these days.

Yes, there are water search search dogs:

“Water Search Dogs are also known as Water Recovery Dogs or Water Recovery K9s. These specialized search and rescue dogs alert to human scent in the water. Typically, they're trained to alert to the scent of human remains. Water Search Dogs help police find victims of drowning or to locate other bodies in the water.”

Water Rescue Dogs and Water Search Dogs: What's the ...

—-

The dog that finds underwater bodies
That's interesting Margarita! I didn't know this!

I keep looking at the day. Mother's Day is a heavy day. It can be both positive and it can be negative. Covid, no family, isolated. ...It makes me worry for her state of mind. Not trying to insinuate she is responsible. She is the victim. Just saying Mother's Day may play a role here in one way or another.

I don't think you're alone wondering such things and I was relieved when a reporter asked the Sheriff at Friday's presser if there was a possibility of self-harm involved in SM's disappearance. I think his response alleviated that concern. MOO

It would be fun (but admittedly difficult) to do an analysis of the success rates for criminal convictions against how much - or how little - detail LE released during the investigation stage. We might find we’re approaching the point where the greater the number of press conferences the less the number of convictions - thanks in large part to wild speculation and rampant social media reinterpretation!

Completely agree. I've definitely noticed in the last few cases I've followed that LE is much more tight lipped about the details of an investigation. And I completely understand. One comment by LE on a high profile case goes a thousand different ways on social media.

Considering the fact that I think Suzanne was abducted and taken by a really creepy dude, as I've stated in earlier posts, I'll give a list here of the likely suspects:

It's terrible that she hasn't been found yet. With all of this searching, I was convinced she would be found dead or alive by now.............from "whatever" cause.

At first I was really mad at law enforcement for keeping the inner workings of the investigation so private, cloaked in secrecy. After some time to think though, I think I know what they're up to.

They knew by Tuesday of last week that she had been snatched, for lack of a better word. So then the question.......snatched by who ??? Her husband put up a 100K reward shortly after, which was matched by a family friend shortly thereafter, both of these individuals have "insider" information that none of us have.

The police and their trained search crews have been out there for a week now. They aren't searching for Suzanne, they're searching for evidence of what may have happened to her. I think they knew by Tuesday of last week that this wasn't some weird biking accident.

I watched the video of her poor husband today, he looks sunburned, tired, exhausted, and scared. He was asked to sit in front of a camera to satisfy the curiosity of all of us. If I had to take a wild guess, I think he really did believe that his wife had some kind of a bizarre biking incident......in the beginning. He certainly doesn't think that now..........nor do I.

I stated three or four days ago that I thought she was abducted by a local. Local to........Maysville or Salida, ?
These are things I don't know. Had Suzanne and Barry met people that knew both of them ? I don't know either.

I commented that I think she was abducted/taken by someone that the two of them had met in the short time they've lived in Colorado. I still think that's true..........but the big question for the police.........who? Remember the Jayme Closs abduction? I think we're dealing with the same type of nutcase. He stalked her. Watched her. Fell in love with her. Decided he had to have her. The only difference in this case, I think this is a sexual assault/"I think she likes me , I'll confront her" type of case.
Much to his chagrin...........and anger............she didn't want anything to do with him. Chances are good, the person that "nabbed" her is an unstable nutcase that lives in the immediate area. My....wasn't he surprised, knowing her husband was out of town, but here she rejected him ???!!! My suspicion is that Suzanne was nice to this person at one point or another. Maybe she joked around, and heaven forbid (winked) at him !!! As a total and complete loser, he went into "Jayme Closs" mode.

I think that's the type of person that grabbed Suzanne. I think her husband knows it. I think the police know it. I think all of these searches are being conducted to look for evidence..............and to buy time...............while the detectives are interviewing and squeezing the employees and contacts of this poor family.

Unfortunately...............the last person on the radar...............is going to be the last person suspected...............just think Jayme Closs. She had to save herself. The cops and all of their blustering, did nothing to save her. The cops had given up on it...........assumed her dead. I don't really believe that Suzanne is still alive....................but I do believe that hope is something we should never lose or discount.

I feel this huge disconnect because so little was said about Suzanne. I wish we knew more about her. All I know is she is a mom a wife, beat cancer, and was a middle school english teacher. Is cycling her passion? Does she talk to her family a lot? If her mom is still around dis she call her on Mother's day? Who is Suzanne?

I feel this huge disconnect because so little was said about Suzanne. I wish we knew more about her. All I know is she is a mom a wife, beat cancer, and was a middle school english teacher. Is cycling her passion? Does she talk to her family a lot? If her mom is still around dis she call her on Mother's day? Who is Suzanne?
Only her family knows and they have been silent as is their right.
<modsnip>

The fascinating thing to me is that the mainstream media has been unusually reticent to publish any of the normal “color” that you mention, which would’ve enabled informed discussion here and elsewhere. I think they’ve been asked to steer clear for the moment. Because it’s not like there is no “color” there.

When family does not talk to media, hard to know personal info about the victim including interests and hobbies.

<modsnip>

An Indiana MSM report did cite that her dad is alive. Probably the same where you read SM was an Indiana teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read an article that said 26% of the homes ( 1 in 4 ) are vacation homes. Also saw this one about the effects of our current stay at home situation on your community.

'Social Distancing' Begins to Wear Thin, Social Isolation Grows, Hostility Appears - by Jan Wondra - Ark Valley Voice

In the past few weeks, Ark Valley Voice has received communications from some residents and a business executive, who asked to remain anonymous, that paint a picture of hostile phone calls, name-calling by some waiting in line to safely enter grocery stores, epitaphs hurled at cars going by with out-of-state license plates, “tattling” on neighbors who appear to break the rules, and trailheads filled to overflowing with cars with out-of-state license plates, triggering a verbal confrontation.
So no ban on short term rentals like some other states? (Florida is one)

So any of you remember Amy Ahonen who went missing from Clear Creek County in 2011? Mountains, canyon, found her car, and only found a bone fragment of hers 3 years later? Was that case ever solved? It’s not crazy far away.

I thought the FBI was called in early because the Morphew family owns homes in two different states - CO and IN.
IMO Sheriff Spezze knew his resources were limited and he needed help.

Also indicative of the evidence very early on pointing to foul play. Not to mention the inter-relational aspect and closeness of local agencies. Sort of like when LE has to investigate a dirty cop. They turn to internal affairs or an outside agency. Not saying that happened here, just thinking out loud.

Not necessarily. As I stated before in the Leanne Bearden case she was found close to where they had searched several times and scent dogs had not been able to locate her either. There isn't always a suicide note either.

Agree. there’s actually quite a few cases where a missing person’s body was later located close to where they went missing and in areas that had been searched.

Molly Bish’s remains were 5 miles from where she disappeared from, but were only found 3 years later. Granted it’s not like 5 miles is RIGHT next door, but 3 years for 5 miles is kind of crazy when you think about it. And I’m not blaming anyone, it’s just that while us armchair detectives might feel like a body would be obvious to find if it wasn’t buried, the reality isn’t always so black and white.

This reminds me of a couple of other cases. Sierah Joughin (her assailant had assaulted at least one other female cyclist). Murder of Sierah Joughin - Wikipedia
And Mickey Shunick in LA and her assailant was a registered sex offender. Mickey Shunick Fought for Her Life, Court Documents Reveal
Still another is Tara Calico. Disappearance of Tara Calico - Wikipedia

And there are many more regarding female joggers like Molly Tibbetts.

With 8 search dogs and they find no sign of Suzanne in the area around her bike? It would seem fairly obvious this isn't merely an accident. Even with a suicide, I would think at least one of these dogs would have tracked her down. Could it have been staged? Maybe, if someone assaulted her at one spot and then moved the bike to another spot. Could something have happened at her house and they staged her bike on a trail? Maybe but most of the times when we see a crime staged elsewhere it involves a vehicle and not a bicycle or motorcycle.

THAT'S what I say. Why didn't LE ask for this right away!Also isn't the FBI in on this too?! Why didn't they ask???
I realize I'm a couple pages behind because of work. But do we know for a fact that LE & FBI didn't ask for this. They hold so much close to the vest. We actually do not know what they are doing behind the scene.

This reminds me of a couple of other cases. Sierah Joughin (her assailant had assaulted at least one other female cyclist). Murder of Sierah Joughin - Wikipedia
And Mickey Shunick in LA and her assailant was a registered sex offender. Mickey Shunick Fought for Her Life, Court Documents Reveal
Still another is Tara Calico. Disappearance of Tara Calico - Wikipedia

And there are many more regarding female joggers like Molly Tibbetts.

With 8 search dogs and they find no sign of Suzanne in the area around her bike? It would seem fairly obvious this isn't merely an accident. Even with a suicide, I would think at least one of these dogs would have tracked her down. Could it have been staged? Maybe, if someone assaulted her at one spot and then moved the bike to another spot. Could something have happened at her house and they staged her bike on a trail? Maybe but most of the times when we see a crime staged elsewhere it involves a vehicle and not a bicycle or motorcycle.
I think the crime happened at her house on Friday or Saturday, and the bicycle was dumped to throw off law enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa