Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monkeys resist virus re-infection after vaccine study immunisation

Monkeys resist virus re-infection after vaccine study immunisation

9News Staff
3 hrs ago
US researchers have found that monkeys given a trial vaccine for COVID-19 or those who have had the infection were immunised or resisted re-infection in a positive sign that human trials could soon provide the same results.

Dr Dan Barouch, along with colleagues at the Harvard Medical School, tested nine rhesus macaque monkeys according to a study published on Wednesday.

The infected animals developed mild coronavirus symptoms before vaccines that included COVID-19 proteins immunised them by developing antibodies over a month.

"We showed that vaccines induce antibodies, and the vaccinated animals are protected either partially or fully," Dr Barouch said, CBS reported.

"But we also show that the levels of antibodies correlate with how good the protection is."
The study showed eight monkeys had higher levels of antibodies after being exposed to the vaccine tests and then showed no detectable trace of the coronavirus, while the rest of the animals showed very low levels of it.

One in 20 have had coronavirus in UK and 17% in London, study finds

Mikey Smith
2 hrs ago
One in 20 of the UK population have had coronavirus, new figures show.

Revealing the results of a government study, Matt Hancock said the figure rose to 17% in London.
The figures come from antibody "surveillance" testing which has run alongside the government's main testing regime.

Mikey Smith
2 hrs ago
One in 20 of the UK population have had coronavirus, new figures show.

Revealing the results of a government study, Matt Hancock said the figure rose to 17% in London.
The figures come from antibody "surveillance" testing which has run alongside the government's main testing regime.
I think that is wonderful news! I had just read an article saying that some models suggest that all that is needed for a successful herd immunity level is about 20% with antibodies.

Herd immunity may only need 10-20 per cent of people to be infected | The Spectator
"That would mean herd immunity could be achieved when between 10 and 20 per cent of us have been infected.

If herd immunity really is achieved at between 10 to 20 per cent it could mean that many parts of the world are approaching it – or are there already. A study of 1,000 residents in the North West German town of Gangelt in early April suggested that 14 per cent had already been infected (many without even knowing it). A study of 1,300 New Yorkers in late April suggested that 21 per cent have been infected."

Which is interesting. Because right now, the only places that have declining new cases are the hardest hit areas, which likely are at 20% by now. Like NYC...

Wonder what the point of the article is? Is it to cast blame?

Referring to the report ... The researchers estimated that had the measures been instituted just one week earlier that the U.S. may have avoided more than 700,000 confirmed cases of the virus and as many as 35,927 deaths that it caused. " Social distancing one week earlier could have saved 36,000 US lives: study.

I don't believe that the report is intended to cast blame, but rather to describe how early intervention was critical in reducing the impact of Covid. Pandemic preparation policies are based on information such as this.

How could lockdown have begun as early as 1 March or even 8th March? WHO had not even declared a pandemic at that stage.

"The study, which focused on transmission in metropolitan areas, found that social distancing measures adopted throughout the nation after March 15 "effectively reduced rates of COVID-19 transmission."

The researchers estimated that had the measures been instituted just one week earlier that the U.S. may have avoided more than 700,000 confirmed cases of the virus and as many as 35,927 deaths that it caused.

The researchers also estimated that if lockdown measures were instituted as early as March 1, approximately 54,000 fewer people would have died by May 3."

The outbreak was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on 30 January 2020. Warnings were issued that steps needed to be taken immediately to prevent a pandemic.

It wasn't declared a pandemic until it was a pandemic.

Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) - events as they happen

How does someone lockdown a nation with 335 million people when there is not a pandemic declared yet and there were very few known cases?

And when those who were supposed to know, like Dr Fauci, were still saying it was not a big threat to us?

It's rather like hearing a fire alarm go off in a huge building. Do you drop everything and get outside, or do you look around for signs of fire, see nothing too concerning, and wait for confirmation that there really is a serious fire after all.

It's rather like hearing a fire alarm go off in a huge building. Do you drop everything and get outside, or do you look around for signs of fire, see nothing too concerning, and wait for confirmation that there really is a serious fire after all.
Well, if by 'looking around' for signs of fire, you mean putting together a task force and researching the problem and looking at options, then I think our government took it seriously.

Maybe they should have locked down faster, but given the situation at the time, it would have been unlikely they could have done so. JMO

Do these things count as starting the ball rolling?

[Also, in terms of the government, the House of representatives did absolutely NOTHING on this crisis. ZERO]

Jan. 6:

• Trump’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a travel notice on Wuhan, China, before any U.S. infection arose.
Jan. 17

• Trump’s CDC began enhanced screening for COVID-19 symptoms at three U.S. airports, in San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York's JFK. U.S. infections: Zero.
Jan. 20

• Trump’s CDC opened an emergency operations center after one U.S. COVID-19 patient was diagnosed.
Jan. 21

• Trump’s CDC expanded COVID-19 checks to airports in Chicago and Atlanta.
Jan. 29

• President Trump chaired his Coronavirus Task Force and unveiled its members.
Jan. 31

• One day after the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a “Public Health Emergency of International Concern,” President Trump restricted travel from China. Former Vice President Joe Biden called this policy “hysterical xenophobia.” CDC began the first mandatory quarantines since the 1960s. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar declared “a public health emergency in the United States.”

Deroy Murdock: Coronavirus timeline – Trump acted early and energetically, don't buy Dems' criticisms

If only we had all realised that the virus was entering our countries through Europe as well.
One of our first Aussie outbreaks followed a wedding where people flew in from Europe (Italy) to attend the wedding.

Last edited:
If only we had all realised that the virus was entering our countries through Europe as well.
One of our first Aussie outbreaks followed a wedding where people flew in from Europe (Italy) to attend the wedding.
Right, I wish we all knew.

Pretty clearly most experts would not agree that only 10-20 % infected are needed for herd immunity.
Maybe....but this article makes a pretty good case for it....

Herd immunity may only need 10-20 per cent of people to be infected | The Spectator

A team led by Gabriela Gomes of the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine argues that it is wrong to assume that herd immunity will only be achieved when 60 per cent of people have been infected. It is more likely, they argue, that the true figure lies between 10 and 20 per cent. The 60 per cent figure, they say, is based on the idea that we are all equally likely to contract the virus. In reality, there is a wide variation in an individual’s susceptibility to becoming infected. People who are frail or who have greater exposure to the virus – perhaps because they are working in an intensive care unit – are in practice far more likely to contract the disease. As the epidemic progresses the pool of easily-infected individuals dries up and the virus has to search out new victims who are less-easily infected.

Modelling by Gomes’ team aims to calculate the ‘coefficient of variation’, which quantifies the variability in individuals’ susceptibility to the virus – with zero denoting no variability at all (ie we are equally likely to be infected). If this coefficient really were zero, say the scientists, then herd immunity would only be achieved when over 60 percent of the population has been infected. If the coefficient were four, on the other hand, it would be achieved when 10 per cent of us were infected. The team then looked at real-life data to try to deduce what the coefficient of variation really is and concluded that it is in the range of just under two to just over three. That would mean herd immunity could be be achieved when between 10 and 20 per cent of us have been infected.

Resort locals 'shocked and angry' at beach crowds

Oh dear, and we haven't even got to the Bank Holiday yet.

Coronavirus: Resort locals 'shocked and angry' at beach crowds
  • 5 hours ago
_112404004_beach.jpg

Image captionSouthend beach had thousands of visitors on Wednesday
People living in seaside resorts have said they are "horrified" by the influx of visitors as temperatures soared ahead of the bank holiday weekend.

Thousands of people have headed to English beaches, with many apparently unconcerned about public health issues.

"Hundreds die every day yet people think it's OK to have a jolly on the beach," a walker in Southend said.

Norfolk Chief Constable Simon Bailey said he feared there was a perception that lockdown was "done and dusted".

'Lack of respect'
Government guidelines in England allow people to travel for fresh air and exercise, as long as they keep two metres (6ft) from anyone they do not live with.

Image Copyright @CGoreham@CGOREHAM

More crowds at link.

That first picture is worth a 1000 words... an image that used to be of pleasure and such fun....now just looks so dangerous. I am sure you will keep us updated @tresor2012.... Our beaches just do not look this bad... well... I don't think so anyway. Maybe we will get pictures this Memorial Day Weekend too.
I was at one of our beaches this week at 8am. We can drive on some of our beaches here and I probably saw 10 or so people for miles in either direction. I had forgotten just how wonderful the smell of salt air was! And for right now only our county residents can drive on to the beach... that helps.

Oddly, I started taking this because someone in here told a member who was fostering a dog that was on this medication that it was probably for lung health. I thought, well, that’s not a bad idea, and I’ve been taking it ever since.

I take it every night for sleep. I never dreamed it had any other use.

Some were looking for substantiation of the increased suicide rates. Here's some. I expect the bay area docs quoted in the article to be "on leave" as of tomorrow. jmo

Doctors at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek say they have seen more deaths by suicide during this quarantine period than deaths from the COVID-19 virus.

"Personally I think it's time," said Dr. Mike deBoisblanc. "I think, originally, this (the shelter-in-place order) was put in place to flatten the curve and to make sure hospitals have the resources to take care of COVID patients.We have the current resources to do that and our other community health is suffering."

The numbers are unprecedented, he said.

"We've never seen numbers like this, in such a short period of time," he said. "I mean we've seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks."

Suicides on the rise amid stay-at-home order, Bay Area medical professionals say

I've been saying this all along. :(

Referring to the report ... The researchers estimated that had the measures been instituted just one week earlier that the U.S. may have avoided more than 700,000 confirmed cases of the virus and as many as 35,927 deaths that it caused. " Social distancing one week earlier could have saved 36,000 US lives: study.

I don't believe that the report is intended to cast blame, but rather to describe how early intervention was critical in reducing the impact of Covid. Pandemic preparation policies are based on information such as this.
I don't see how that one or two weeks would have made such a difference. The cases had already flown in and were coming in via international travel from countries we didn't know were suffering from it at the time. Additionally, most of the casualties have been in care homes and over 65's and they were shielded from early on, which didn't work for various reasons. Even if all flights had been stopped from 1st March, infected travellers were already in other countries two months earlier than that. 21 Jan was the first in US.

Oddly, I started taking this because someone in here told a member who was fostering a dog that was on this medication that it was probably for lung health. I thought, well, that’s not a bad idea, and I’ve been taking it ever since.
I know someone who takes it for migraine.

He's a doc at well-respected hospital with personal knowledge of the situation. And he did personally go on camera on msm to say they've seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in four weeks. Maybe not good enough for you or me, personally, but definitely good enough for the thread.
He appears to be saying suicide attempts though, not actual suicides. Obviously that is really serious enough but on record there should be suicide death rates somewhere to be looked at.

I don’t know. I think they’re just trying to mitigate the risk as much as possible. But how do we know what wasn’t a factor in why the lockdown of care homes failed miserably if we don’t know why they failed?

Also, haven’t many care homes been successful at preventing the spread via lockdown? I mean the ones who had outbreaks wasn’t that mostly at the beginning of the lockdowns or in places where there wasn’t one?

Raises some good questions....we keep hearing about more and more deaths, in care centers, in other countries too. But are they under control? And are they still on lockdown? I feel so badly for all these folks so cooped up without ways to see loved ones.,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48