Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's worse is I just had an area compacted in my backyard for a small patio as my dogs have run ruts. Now I told the hubby to watch the men! Paranoia setting in. Geez. Moo
When the dirt is compacted, I'm assuming that is done by some sort of compacting machine? How is the process done, for those of us who don't know?

jmo

Good info from CBS4 Denver's Rick Sallinger posted at midnight last night.

"The property owner confirmed to CBS4’s Rick Sallinger that Suzanne’s husband was hired to lay dirt on the riverfront land, located east of Salida.

The owner of the property told CBS4’s Rick Sallinger that he has known Barry Morphew for three weeks. The riverfront property was undergoing improvement. Concrete was laid over the dirt."

ETA: "The property owner has told others that investigators have been using an x-ray type device to try to see through the concrete."

BBM. Much as we have speculated here.

Finding Suzanne Morphew: Investigators Search Husband's Job Site Near Salida
Wouldn't it be easier to just use the river instead of a job that would link you right to it? I mean it is right there...

Would it be made public if there was a search warrant involved with this vs. the land owner consenting? I'd be surprised if this is a fishing expedition either way (seems like a lot of manpower to chase a maybe?), but obviously if there is a search warrant involved they would have something to show probable cause. MOO.

IMO they definitely got a search warrant even if the owner consented. They could use the fact that the owner consented in persuading a judge to issue the warrant but they wouldn’t destroy private property unrelated to the case without good cause and proper legal process. JMO

ETA: search warrants aren’t public unless someone releases them or they’re attached to an open court case. So we won’t know unless the Sheriff tells us or someone’s arraigned

Thank you @sillybilly for opening the thread back up. It must have felt like a runaway train had taken off with the mods trying to hold on with only one hand strap.

Yes Mimosa, it did get a little intense ;)

giphy.gif

Suzanne Morphew's husband was paid to lay dirt at the building site Colorado cops are searching | Daily Mail Online

"Barry Morphew, 52, had worked at the Salida property laying dirt on the riverfront land, around 12 miles from the couple's home, before his wife's mysterious disappearance almost two weeks ago, the property owner told CBS4."

"Agents from the FBI, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation and the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office were pictured Friday sifting through buckets of newly-laid dirt and rubble they had dug up from the site's ground."

"A chunk of cement had been removed from the foundation of the property and an evidence response team truck was stationed nearby."

So, it looks to me like they were sifting through the dirt that BM had brought to the site. As for the chunk of concrete, maybe that was removed due to an indication that something was underneath of possible evidentiary value. Some of that dirt from under the removed slab was probably sifted as well, looking for evidence.

At first I also did not think they were digging under the navy tent and using it as an evidence/sorting/sifting station, but I realize now there is absolutely a cut out, so I think there has to be reason for that.

Also, its possible that the perp knows a lot about ground penetrating radar, x-ray equipment etc. so they possibly obscured any evidence to make it harder to locate? moo!

Last edited:
I think the area under the tent is their working station, where they are sifting through the dirt at sifting tables. I don't think they are digging under the tent area, from what I can tell....though it's hard to know for sure, of course.

Scroll down to see photo of tent area: Finding Suzanne Morphew: Investigators Search Husband's Job Site Near Salida
It's hard to tell. It looks to me like they cut through the concrete in that square area and are digging down.

From the DM article:
  • Morphew was hired to lay dirt on the riverfront land, around 12 miles from the couple's home, before his wife's mysterious disappearance almost two weeks ago, the property owner told CBS4

so, he was hired before she went missing but I wonder when the job was supposed to finish. Maybe she found it weird he came to work on it while his wife was missing, I would definitely find that strange. Just speculation and JMO

ps thank you mods!

ETA link Suzanne Morphew's husband was paid to lay dirt at the building site Colorado cops are searching | Daily Mail Online

IMO they definitely got a search warrant even if the owner consented. They could use the fact that the owner consented in persuading a judge to issue the warrant but they wouldn’t destroy private property unrelated to the case without good cause and proper legal process. JMO

ETA: search warrants aren’t public unless someone releases them or they’re attached to an open court case. So we won’t know unless the Sheriff tells us or someone’s arraigned

I asked last evening, (before the thread went to plaid) and I'm really curious... to cause that amount of property damage, I wonder what kind of evidence the investigators had to bring before a judge? Surely it couldn't just be owner consent, right? Wouldn't there need to be some really specific information that would lead them to believe a body may be under that concrete?

ETA: I guess we'll be in the dark on this until the PC is released.
It'll sure be interesting reading.

Last edited:
Wouldn't ground penetrating radar show skeletal remains and wouldn't they be able to go directly above where the remains are? I am obviously having difficulty figuring out what kind of evidence they are sifting for and why haven't they found whatever was big enough for the ground radar to identify to choose that exact spot.

From the media thread... the dirt MOO they are sifting is from the cut concrete in the slab pouring. The sifting was to the side of the property.

Search for missing Chaffee County woman focuses on residential property in Salida 9:24 PM MDT May 22, 2020

Article with video and drone shot of cut out concrete - all screen shots from link

View attachment 248166

and map of 10 miles from house, search area per article and video

View attachment 248167

and looks like the media has found a new vantage point for today

View attachment 248168

Finding Suzanne Morphew: Investigators Search For Missing Mom On Residential Property In Salida

Article with video, screen shots of property on Arkansas River from video

View attachment 248170
OnArkansasRiver.JPG News4drone.JPG New4.JPG Set.JPG Concrete.JPG

View attachment 248171

View attachment 248172

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors