Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
We discussed this missing person case here 5 years ago. We couldn't understand why investigators spent so much time at the site with a tented area. They declared at the end of the search that no body was found. That was true. Also true was that they found tooth fragments of the three victims. That information was released during trial.

Just because there isn't a body, and just because there's no evidence related to the missing person at the time of the search, it is premature to assume that the search was a waste of time.

Calgary police search Airdrie property for more evidence related to Liknes and O’Brien homicides
That’s fair. Questions should still be asked though, else what are we doing here?
I have to take LE’s statement at face value that nothing was found related to this missing persons case until we hear otherwise.

ETA: In your example, they were on site digging for weeks. I assume that if anything of significance was found here, they would still be on site scouring the entire property.

Last edited:
Gimme Funds. Putting in Daughters' Names?
@vaporlass :) sbm bbm Gimme page now says nephew & FF "are organizing this fundraiser on behalf of" ShMor. IDK what it said previously. Currently nephew says intended uses: Well being of fam; food for fam & volunteers; for housing accommodations for fam; compensating fam & vol's for time spent away from work and w the fam. Who is "family?" Which fam members does that emcompass. BM & 2 daus only? Aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents? I'm sure it's hard to think of everything when setting up one of these campaigns. And this was done just the day after SM was reported missing. What is "well being?" Current version does not say: to pay their everyday living exp's, e.g., food, mortgage, utilities, gas, insurance, car payments, clothing, etc, college tuition & dorm, etc.

Did Nephew previously say anything different re who & what he intended to use $ for? IDK. In setting up Gimme did Nephew consider BM as possibly involved? IDK, even if he did, might seem a weeeee bit awkward for a campaign organizer to solicit $ to pay expenses for two dau's only. Would not evoke image of a Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving family dinner tableau.

Putting it in daughter's name??? Like organizer withdraws $50,000 and writes check, payable to the order of Dau1 And Dau2??? Sounds simple enough, let them deposit $ to bk a/c in their joint names, use as needed? Or maybe split into two a/c's, one a/c for ea teen? Aside from any possible legal issue w anyone not yet of the age of majority & bank a/c's, perhaps there are other issues weighing against giving teens unfettered access to $? Not saying anything about these two, but how many teens are responsible enough to handle that amt of $? And no oversight on what they spend $ on? Is either a 'wild child' or vulnerable to boyfriends' or peer pressure to spend, well, unwisely. Frivolously? Illegally?
Or would Nephew, or trusted fam/friend, deposit $50,000 to a separate, designated a/c, to manage payments for two dau? Or have atty draft a trust agreement w the two teens as beneficiaries, and use Gimme $ to fund it, then w Nephew/bank/atty/fam/friend(?) handling as trustee?
Depending on particulars, there's likely a reasonable arrangement (not a one-size-fits-all solution) to use the $ for their expenses. All they way around and regardless of what has happened to SM, a extreeeemely sad situation for BM, daughters, friends, family and communities in COL. and IND.
Good points. I do think well meaning family often set these funds up as a way to do something to "help", probably with good intentions and without thinking about the possibility of a mess if things go south. At this point, anything they do can be criticized and could look bad....

Re cougar attacks.

Very rare for them to attack an adult but it does happen: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-killed-biker-injured-another-was-emaciated/

Vancouver Island has the highest population of cougars in the world. Occasionally adults are attacked there. I can't find the story (it was some time ago) but a man, near Port Alberni iirc, was cycling and a cougar jumped on his back. He fought it off. What saved him was his backpack which protected his neck.

This 61 yr old man was also attacked but killed it with his pocket knife. Attacking cougar killed with pocket knife

This guy got lucky too: Deadly cougar attack on mountain bikers highlights importance of bear spray

They usually attack children, or pets. I don't think petite Mrs. Morphew would do well against one unless she was carrying a weapon. There would be clear signs that it had happened and the dogs would know (as long as it happened within the area searched). Also why would the bike be up against a tree, unless perhaps a passerby who didn't realize what had happened came along and propped it up later.

My grandma used to say, “Every day is Mother’s Day.”

We should always show appreciation for our mothers, every day. If you really want to make your mother happy surprise her with a gift or flowers on a day that isn’t Mother’s Day.

I think that is the philosophy. And it's really weird because I have a friend who has said things to me like: it's too bad you didn't have more than one child! Yet she has cousins who have children that are horrible to their moms on an ongoing basis but offer the obligatory bouquet on Mother's Day. Okay, I'm over and out on this topic. Thanks.

I provided muscle for a dig at an ancient chert mine; we were moving loads of rock and dirt from the mine shaft over to the processing area. We didn't have tents but we did have overhead canopies, but it was for heatstroke, not rain.

When I first read the first line of your post I thought it read music instead of muscle, and I read the rest thinking
"what, they do that? why would they have music at a dig?"
then I had to go back and re-read.
I lol'd for real, so thank you for the unintended laugh. Ahem.
I needed that today.
:D

The longer they stay so tightly lipped. The more i feel they do not have so much that we think they have. Imo

MOO a modern no body case takes at least two months to subpoena, sort, investigate and link the physicial, electronic and digital evidence. Its been only two weeks.
Even with all their searching she might still be hidden up a hill.

One isn't a rumor. I've provided two links stating that the bike was connected with a bridge.

I don't mean to be picky, but those quotes don't state where the bike was found. They quote other people talking about the bike, with no attempt to verify or clarify. So basically, reporting a rumor.

It's the same as the supposed Denver trip. Somebody said it and now everybody thinks it happened.

This post falls at random:

Some gentle advice.....
If your post states:
“I remember reading that _____”
OR “Didn’t somebody say that ______”
OR “I don’t have a source but I saw somewhere that _____”
OR anything in that vein, you are posting a potential runaway rumor if it does not have a link to the info in MSM.

Runaway rumors are tough to stop, and often require a thread shutdown to clean up.
I know NO ONE ever intends that with what seems to be innocent questions, but once those words are printed here they can take on a life of their own.
Please consider carefully what you write. You can ask some of these questions in PMs that will remain off the board and not cause a proliferation of mistaken info taking over the thread.

You all are doing a really good job here on thread #6.
THANKS from me - I really appreciate your efforts!

Faithfully,
CocoChanel

IF SM's body was burned (and I don't subscribe to that theory, as I've learned it takes a very hot fire for longer than you think to burn a body to ash), her ashes could not be mixed in with the concrete. Mixing is done at a plant and brought to the build site in a truck, where the truck driver runs the chute pouring concrete into prepared forms.

Ashes could be buried in or spread over the dirt prior to pouring the concrete. But again, I don't think that's what happened to SM.

Also, I see the news of no sign of SM found at the search on the east side of Salida.

Mercy me. If you were trying to be funny, it did not come across to me.

THE BIKE has given me a headache. I'll eat my hat if SM actually disappeared while on a bike ride.

I shall scroll and roll.

I "drove" Hwy 50 with Google Maps, and at different points along the road, angled the view up or down while facing south toward the housing developement where the Morphew house is. The house is visible from the highway, as are some of the other homes.

I have a screenshot, I'll try to upload the image. The Morphew house is in the center of the screenshot.

View attachment 248407

https://goo.gl/maps/oJeypMcdhC6drW6V

I think the area is beautiful, and I think living there probably feels less remote than looking at it from afar. It doesn't feel remote to me, but I live in a mountainous area, where neighbors are acres away, on a private access road much like the Morphew's road into their house. Salida is close, and you'd go through tiny Maysville and Poncha Springs to get there. So people are just minutes away.
A lot of people are referring to this area as "remote." Rural-ish maybe but, as I've stated in previous posts, the house is just 7 miles from Poncha Springs, which is the intersection of Hwy 50 (which goes to Crested Butte) and Hwy 285 (a major North/South thoroughfare). There are several small towns within a 20 mile drive, including Nathrop, Salida, and Buena Vista. The stunning Collegiate Peaks are nearby and the area is a big draw for tourists; lots of whitewater rafting outfitters along the Arkansas River, mountain bikers, hikers, and hunters. And the area has grown so much in recent years that real estate prices are becoming exorbitant. I laugh when I hear someone call it "remote." I live not too far away and, you're right, most people up here have unpaved access roads in keeping with the mountain aesthetic.

Last edited:
I never said that the site shouldn’t have been searched, but I do question the amount of resources used for this dig. And if the evidence that led them there was so compelling, why only stay for 3 days and dig only a small, specific area and then leave?

Well, the amount of resources seemed to be CBI, FBI and Chaffee county. Could have been more, I may have missed some of the articles.
If they didn't question their own involvement on those search days, and they know loads more about what evidence they've already uncovered than the public does, then I'm not going to question their involvement either.

As to your other question, I can't say what evidence lead them there or why they searched specifically where they did, and for as long as they did.
I can't say because the public has no clue what they're dealing with, what they know, how they know it, etc.
It's kind of impossible and unfair really to deem it "mishandling" when we don't even have all the information to make such an informed opinion.

jmo

We discussed this missing person case here 5 years ago. We couldn't understand why investigators spent so much time at the site with a tented area. They declared at the end of the search that no body was found. That was true. Also true was that they found tooth fragments of the three victims. That information was released during trial.

Just because there isn't a body, and just because there's no evidence related to the missing person at the time of the search, it is premature to assume that the search was a waste of time.

Calgary police search Airdrie property for more evidence related to Liknes and O’Brien homicides

ITA. “at this time” is the phrasing they used that gives me hope that they found something and need testing to confirm. If not, I hope we have a huge break soon and she is found so her girls can lay her to rest.

IMO JMO MOO

When I first read the first line of your post I thought it read music instead of muscle, and I read the rest thinking
"what, they do that? why would they have music at a dig?"
then I had to go back and re-read.
I lol'd for real, so thank you for the unintended laugh. Ahem.
I needed that today.
:D
and I had to look up what a "chert mine" was : )

I "drove" Hwy 50 with Google Maps, and at different points along the road, angled the view up or down while facing south toward the housing development where the Morphew house is. The house is visible from the highway, as are some of the other homes.
I found it! Thank you! I thought that was house to the left and closer to the road! :rolleyes: It doesn’t look like it’s on a hill to me as it does in Realtor pictures ...

Attachments

• CE10D038-C22D-45A5-8899-5308DF1D4C1C.jpeg
    CE10D038-C22D-45A5-8899-5308DF1D4C1C.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 53
ITA. “at this time” is the phrasing they used that gives me hope that they found something and need testing to confirm. If not, I hope we have a huge break soon and she is found so her girls can lay her to rest.

IMO JMO MOO
Exactly.
Hoping for a break soon.
This is an active criminal investigation and that's how LE is treating it.

My heart aches for her daughters in the face of such monstrosity. :(

Gimme Funds. Putting in Daughters' Names?
@vaporlass :) sbm bbm Gimme page now says nephew & FF "are organizing this fundraiser on behalf of" ShMor. IDK what it said previously. Currently nephew says intended uses: Well being of fam; food for fam & volunteers; for housing accommodations for fam; compensating fam & vol's for time spent away from work and w the fam. Who is "family?" Which fam members does that emcompass. BM & 2 daus only? Aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents? I'm sure it's hard to think of everything when setting up one of these campaigns. And this was done just the day after SM was reported missing. What is "well being?" Current version does not say: to pay their everyday living exp's, e.g., food, mortgage, utilities, gas, insurance, car payments, clothing, etc, college tuition & dorm, etc.

Did Nephew previously say anything different re who & what he intended to use $ for? IDK. In setting up Gimme did Nephew consider BM as possibly involved? IDK, even if he did, might seem a weeeee bit awkward for a campaign organizer to solicit $ to pay expenses for two dau's only. Would not evoke image of a Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving family dinner tableau.

Putting it in daughter's name??? Like organizer withdraws $50,000 and writes check, payable to the order of Dau1 And Dau2??? Sounds simple enough, let them deposit $ to bk a/c in their joint names, use as needed? Or maybe split into two a/c's, one a/c for ea teen? Aside from any possible legal issue w anyone not yet of the age of majority & bank a/c's, perhaps there are other issues weighing against giving teens unfettered access to $? Not saying anything about these two, but how many teens are responsible enough to handle that amt of $? And no oversight on what they spend $ on? Is either a 'wild child' or vulnerable to boyfriends' or peer pressure to spend, well, unwisely. Frivolously? Illegally?
Or would Nephew, or trusted fam/friend, deposit $50,000 to a separate, designated a/c, to manage payments for two dau? Or have atty draft a trust agreement w the two teens as beneficiaries, and use Gimme $ to fund it, then w Nephew/bank/atty/fam/friend(?) handling as trustee?
Depending on particulars, there's likely a reasonable arrangement (not a one-size-fits-all solution) to use the $ for their expenses. All they way around and regardless of what has happened to SM, a extreeeemely sad situation for BM, daughters, friends, family and communities in COL. and IND.
The truth is ....As long as the person responsible for the disappearance of SM does not get a penny ...I don’t care.

I listened to reporter Lauren Scharf's live fb update last night and one thing she made very clear is the very spotty cell service in the area -- even using Verizon (said to provide best coverage there). She talked about having to drive to hilltops for a signal.

The reporter's very recent account just confirmed what we've been told all along and for that I'm inclined to believe SM left her phone at home.
I’d take my phone even without a signal because I could still listen to downloaded music on it.

LE has not released any information about her phone at all. But they’re the ones who *do* know whether or not her phone was found or if it wasn’t! And fortunately, there is a lot of info they can get from the cell phone carrier even without the phone itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member