Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITA

Shaking one's head "no" while speaking is one of the biggest tells that a person is lying.

Lying is hard on the psyche and the mind does not want to participate so it signals "no" to the viewer.

If I had to guess I'd say a lot of rehearsing went into that short performance and then, Whoops! the old brain gave it away! My opinion only.
Clearly his production assistant and editor had not studied up on all the signs that someone is lying. I wouldn’t have thought of that... I’ve always heard/read that the persons eyes go one way for memory (up and left for truth) and one way for creation (up and right for lies) and I did notice BM very expertly kept his eyes focused on who was directly in front of him, so much so you could see the effort /concentration in the wrinkles on his forehead.
I thought the head shaking was “this can’t be happening” until someone on here pointed out that he did it when he said specific things like “We love you, I want you back so bad” I’ve definitely learned a new technique for judging if someone means what they are saying.

MOO doubt the deputies or sheriff would put the bike on an open bike rack. I hope not. Its suspicious circumstances from the outset.
I know right? Coincidences bother me though. Just odd that it's a woman's bike and it's baby blue. I know a saw a list somewhere that BM made of articles to look for and it included baby blue colored bike. Checking on that again. JMO

I have a general question about the term "Crime of Passion" if anyone knows. I think I have heard where Crime of Passion can be used as a defense strategy to sometimes get a lesser sentence.

I have never really understood it.

"Crime of passion" would be charged as Second Degree Murder. It's a charge that will be used if the prosecutor (or possibly the judge) isn't sure a jury would agree to first degree murder, or where premeditation and intent cannot be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, which is required for a jury to convict on first degree.

The charge could be one of a few, where a jury gets to decide if they find the defendant guilty whether they are guilty of First Degree Murder or Second Degree Murder. Or, it could be the only murder charge brought against the defendant. It all depends on the state and how they structure the charges and what charges the jury will ultimately be given to decide.

ITA

Shaking one's head "no" while speaking is one of the biggest tells that a person is lying.

Lying is hard on the psyche and the mind does not want to participate so it signals "no" to the viewer.

If I had to guess I'd say a lot of rehearsing went into that short performance and then, Whoops! the old brain gave it away! My opinion only.
Clearly his production assistant and editor had not studied up on all the signs that someone is lying. I wouldn’t have thought of that...
I’ve always heard/read that a person’s eyes go one way for memory/truth (up and left) and the opposite way for creation/lies (up and right).
In his plea he seems to be concentrating/focusing on looking straight ahead at the videographer, so much so he has tons of wrinkles on his forehead.
I thought the head shaking was “this can’t be happening” until someone on here pointed out that he did it when he said specific things like “We love you, I want you back so bad” I’ve definitely learned a new technique for judging if someone means what they are saying.

"Crime of passion" would be charged as Second Degree Murder. It's a charge that will be used if the prosecutor (or possibly the judge) isn't sure a jury would agree to first degree murder, or where premeditation and intent cannot be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, which is required for a jury to convict on first degree.

The charge could be one of a few, where a jury gets to decide if they find the defendant guilty whether they are guilty of First Degree Murder or Second Degree Murder. Or, it could be the only murder charge brought against the defendant. It all depends on the state and how they structure the charges and what charges the jury will ultimately be given to decide.

Thank you. That helps. We have seen some cases where the jury has options on certain charges.

It wasn't miscontrued or taken out of context by me. It was quoted from the MSM article:

ETA: I think the problem is that journalists are not identifying their sources and could be speaking with both sides of the family but not indicating what info came from which side. At least the article did state that spokesperson TN is in fact Barry's nephew.

I think the reporter made it impossible to figure out if the relative meant "I don't know TN" as in "I never, ever knew this person existed before SM went missing," OR "I don't know TN personally though I am aware BM had a nephew by that name." The former might be a little weird, though, depending on the size of the family I could definitely see it being normal in some cases. The latter meaning would be entirely normal. My spouse's blood nieces and nephews are known to some of my blood relatives but not well known by any of them.

I agree. This might be the piece we feel is missing in the story. If LE was aware of converstations of this type with friends/family or that Suzanne had actually had talked to an attorney, it might explain some of their early actions regarding the investigation. MOO
Or a piece of paper carried out in evidence, a hidden diary/journal found that BM didn’t know that she kept? I think the peace that is so obvious and present in her face in photos isn’t just faith, it comes from expressing herself through journaling. The way she is described by others indicates this to me as well. She reaches within herself rather than out to others, IMO.

My take on this is: we actually do not know the dynamics of this marriage behind closed doors. We can not say one way or another what SM would of could of or should of done... We simply do not know at this point.
MOO this is so correct. No one really can see into others relationships. It might look messy and be messy or in reality be loving, it might look perfect and be perfect or in reality be in a state of deep alienation.
MOO the daughters are most likely to know the state of the state of their relationship.

Clearly his production assistant and editor had not studied up on all the signs that someone is lying. I wouldn’t have thought of that...
I’ve always heard/read that a person’s eyes go one way for memory/truth (up and left) and the opposite way for creation/lies (up and right).
In his plea he seems to be concentrating/focusing on looking straight ahead at the videographer, so much so he has tons of wrinkles on his forehead.
Myth Busted: Looking Left or Right Doesn’t Indicate If You’re Lying | Science | Smithsonian Magazine
Scientific Content Analysis (SCAN) Cannot Distinguish Between Truthful and Fabricated Accounts of a Negative Event

A lot of statement analysis is pseudoscience.

Or a piece of paper carried out in evidence, a hidden diary/journal found that BM didn’t know that she kept? I think the peace that is so obvious and present in her face in photos isn’t just faith, it comes from expressing herself through journaling. The way she is described by others indicates this to me as well. She reaches within herself rather than out to others, IMO.
Yes!

I can't help but think all of the searches conducted in Jennifer's case - the park, the ski lake, the many Fore Group properties - and still no Jennifer has been found. I am hoping we aren't heading for a year of this searching for Suzanne.
IMO

JMO
Hoping LE solves this case soon.

I have a general question about the term "Crime of Passion" if anyone knows. I think I have heard where Crime of Passion can be used as a defense strategy to sometimes get a lesser sentence.

I have never really understood it. The example that always comes to mind when I hear about Crime of Passion is an example like this.

A person comes home to find their partner in bed with someone else and then that person ends up killing someone.

My question is would a regular big verbal fight about any subject between a husband and wife that escalates into physical violence and death also be considered "Crime of Passion"?

If not, then what if the subject of the verbal fight started with allegations of infidelity, then would it be considered a Crime of Passion?

I dont know when it can be used as a valid defense strategy in the eyes of the law.
Hatfield, I don’t have the answer. I do have an opinion, of course.

I would hope for a crime of passion to be successfully used by the defense it would mean finding your spouse in bed with another person (example). But a verbal fight escalating to murder is just an out of control temper by a very controlling person. I would hope that would deserve a first degree murder charge, not second degree. JMO.

I think what happened in this case is he lost his temper. And if so, shame on him.

I keep hoping we are all wrong and that he is innocent. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member