Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
help me out here sleuthers - didn't we find early on these cameras don't record?? or is that another case?
JMO

The ones up by the Morphew house and on Monarch Pass were said to be traffic monitoring only (no pictures).

However, surely there are some in the larger area that do record?

Been speculating about this “Ozark” angle also...large expensive home in remote isolated area...very nice home but low key decor and landscaping...nothing fancy or flashy to draw attention just blends into the forest...took over $200K loss on last home yet purchased new home almost double price...moving expenses/medical bills for cancer treatment/college tuition/expensive vacations...IN home also located in secluded area on large acreage...landscaping business...it doesn’t add up...maybe SM started to question or found out something or saw something she wasn’t supposed to see? <modsnip: When a post is removed do not discuss it>

I share your speculation, although I don't think the decor is exactly low key. I think the leather chairs and sofa are super expensive (by my middle class standards). I have friends with fairly nice houses, but nothing near as well decorated as the Morphew home. Of course, I'm probably swayed by the architectural details of the home. At $1.5M, it certainly should look great without anything in it.

I have friends who live in mountainous/upland parts of California, New Mexico and Utah (and family in Colorado). To me, that house is flashy. My best friend designed a house in pretty much the middle of nowhere, but she was at the time a 45 year resident of the area, and definitely designed a different type of home. She didn't want to attract attention to her home, including from neighbors. That's partly because she travels a lot and she and her husband travel separately a lot, so she is home alone. She wanted a certain kind of driveway and views of the only approach road. None of the main living areas are visible from outside the house, except the kitchen window at night. She moves vehicles when her husband isn't around, and makes sure one is always in the driveway. While she doesn't socialize much with her neighbors, they do keep an eye out for each other. Her family members have those neighbors' numbers in their contacts. She has an alert dog. No triple car garage, nothing like that.

Where I live, all creek and riverbeds are currently transit areas for homeless people (and the nexus of those trails/creek areas is vast - people can go as much as 30-40 miles up and down the riverbeds, always finding some source of water, and digging through garbage in nearby housing areas). Among the homeless, there are a certain number of people attempting to evade the law for various reasons, and arrests made on a fairly regular basis (but this is over-crowded California). Still, the same is true in counties like Mariposa and Madera in California, where living more or less "on the land" attracts a lot of people who we can call marginal to society.

But your point - that the Morphews seem very well off - is definitely a strong one. It's not a minor point, because people who do various kinds of stalker-like or home invasion things do select homes based on certain characteristics (lack of dog is one of them). In my suburban neighborhood, most of our houses are single story tract homes, but there were much bigger 2 story homes at the top of the price range - and those homes are in fact targeted more for daytime burglaries. People with more expensive cars in the driveway also seem to be targeted. We have an active security camera that is pointed directly at the only route to our front door (and a fence line camera in the back - both of those blink quite nicely at night).

If it's true that the Morphew house only occasionally had its security system working, it could have been an attractive target. To someone looking in through those windows, it would look quite luxurious, especially if that person was living rough.

(Just riffing off your post to throw another theory out there...)

I agree that the case itself is not cold. LE is doing their job and they are properly not out there spilling info. I assume it’s because they know enough that they do not need the public’s help at this time. Do you find it odd that there has been no outcry on the family or community’s part on behalf of a seemingly beloved member who is missing out there? Could they also be mum because they know or sense more than what is being portrayed?

I don’t find it odd in the least bit. Cases like this I’ve experienced when no one talks it’s because talking would do no good. In other words, nothing will bring her home alive at this point.

It sure would. This is one of those cases where the only developments will be huge developments; they’ll come out of nowhere.

I get the impression that we’re going to be waiting a while.

Agreed. It could take a while but LE seems very focused and methodical. I'm confident justice will come for Suzanne even if it's not swift.

On a related note...there was a search of water and then a search of the work site in the concrete. I wonder if those two searches were related at all (same person provided tip?) Or completely unrelated? MOO

Agreed. It could take a while but LE seems very focused and methodical. I'm confident justice will come for Suzanne even if it's not swift.

On a related note...there was a search of water and then a search of the work site in the concrete. I wonder if those two searches were related at all (same person provided tip? Or completely unrelated? MOO
I think the water search was probably law enforcement doing their due diligence.

The search of the work site wouldn’t have been done on a whim, so they almost certainly had something specific that pointed them there (tip, cell data, etc).

Myself- I've been curious as to how they could afford two mortgages at the same time while waiting for their home in Indiana to sell, which happened over a year and some months later. We're not talking two small 2 bedroom 1 bath homes here. I am just willing to be that if a certain person does become a POI or suspect, that there are several on here ready to elaborate on this very subject. We can't now, though.
There was some land behind the home which looked like it could be leased for farming. Speculating it could have been enough to contribute to the mortgage payment every month, in the interim period before it sold in 2019.

Been speculating about this “Ozark” angle also...large expensive home in remote isolated area...very nice home but low key decor and landscaping...nothing fancy or flashy to draw attention just blends into the forest...took over $200K loss on last home yet purchased new home almost double price...moving expenses/medical bills for cancer treatment/college tuition/expensive vacations...IN home also located in secluded area on large acreage...landscaping business...it doesn’t add up...maybe SM started to question or found out something or saw something she wasn’t supposed to see? <modsnip: When a post is removed do not discuss it>

Where is it reported that the Morphews took a 200k loss? Upthread posters noted that only 3 acres of undeveloped backlands of the IN property had been sold.

Myself- I've been curious as to how they could afford two mortgages at the same time while waiting for their home in Indiana to sell, which happened over a year and some months later. We're not talking two small 2 bedroom 1 bath homes here. I am just willing to be that if a certain person does become a POI or suspect, that there are several on here ready to elaborate on this very subject. We can't now, though.

We do not know if they had two mortgages. Colorado requires mortgages to be public record and earlier posters could not find one on the Colorado house.

The ones up by the Morphew house and on Monarch Pass were said to be traffic monitoring only (no pictures).

However, surely there are some in the larger area that do record?

Snipped. BLM, CPW, USFS, NPS... every public land agency out here uses game cams in certain locations. They're usually concealed, sometimes near trailheads and other points of interest (the ones I've happened to spot anyways.) I have no clue where any game cams might be out in this specific area but it's likely there's some.

I figure if someone put thought into committing a "perfect crime," they would take cameras into account. And learn the number one lesson from Jason Young and Scott Peterson: Don't be witnessed someplace your alibi said you were not supposed to be!

Why are so many comments very interested in the colour of her bike? Anyone?
Because bicycle geeks like to examine every micro detail of every bike out there. It's what we do.
BUT.... color is only a micro aspect of this tendency, so feel thankful we haven't been discussing derailleurs or comparing the forks of different brands and models on the basis of relative flex resistance.

I figure if someone put thought into committing a "perfect crime," they would take cameras into account. And learn the number one lesson from Jason Young and Scott Peterson: Don't be witnessed someplace your alibi said you were not supposed to be!
True!

In a heat of passion scenario though, it's often where they get caught.

I own a construction company and have for many years. Owning the equipment makes sense rather than renting it. However, in the big recession I had to turn it all back in as I had mtgs on them and nowhere to store them. So now I went back to renting them all out again.
But BM has a large property where he could store the heavy equipment. I think he owns equipment.
I also think he probably got large commercial contracts for his expertise and made good money.

I think he got large contracts in Indiana, but I doubt there are many large contracts in Salida. His work in Indiana seems to have included some very large commercial properties, golf courses, etc.

In Salida, he seems to have been the dirt moving guy for a small residential project. I doubt there are any large commercial projects anywhere within an hour's drive of his house. Perhaps he hoped to be a subcontractor for fire safety (fire lines, fire road clearance, etc).

The entire population of Chaffee County is ab0ut 20,000 people. The small college in that county is at least 2 hours away from where the Morphews lived - but it's one of the larger employers in the county. The other big employer is the County itself, with offices in a modest, sparsely landscaped building in Salida.

I find it hard to believe he could have been making good money in the mountain West via landscaping, in a place where, within an hour of his home, there are probably only 6000 people. Much of it is under snow for much of the year, and nature has provided amazing landscape that people cherish. Boulder moving would be a thing, I'm sure (and building rock-based walls and walkways). But I can't imagine making a 6 figure income off of that. So the family finances remain a mystery to me.

Suzanne's charitable foundation may have received funds from a bad faith insurance lawsuit she filed in Indiana.

11% of Chaffee County lives at or below the poverty level. Median per capita income is $28,900. (US Census data). 25% of the population is over 65. There are only 956 establishments with employees in the county (includes public employers).

It appears the Morphews may well have purchased one of the most expensive homes in the county - if not the most expensive per square foot or per acre. I guess that alerts my superstitions. Most of the $1M properties have...more land and more square footage.

Where is it reported that the Morphews took a 200k loss? Upthread posters noted that only 3 acres of undeveloped backlands of the IN property had been sold.
Zillow posted up thread by @Heliopops. I tried to copy & paste it here. Where is my teenager when I need her! Lol. It’s on page #16. It looks like it was almost a million when it first went on the market and several price cuts were made but when it sold it was approx 200K less than asking price and a lot more than that from original asking price. It also says something about a “refi” payment estimate of approx $3700 and I was wondering if that meant the mortgage had been refinanced and rolled into their new mortgage in CO and that was the monthly mtg payment for both houses until IN house sold? Just speculating...but that would be a very big mtg payment every month! Isn’t it crazy how Zillow and other realty sites can just plaster your private financial info like how much you paid for your house on the Internet?! It sure doesn’t help if you are trying to SELL your house anyone can look up what you paid, what you owe etc. but it sure must be helpful when negotiating to buy a house!

Does anyone know for sure if recent-model year vehicles have built-in tracking? When I purchased a 2015 vehicle, I was told that the satellite connection only occurred if I hit the red call button. Over the years there were rumors that many recent-model vehicles do have “computer tracking” but my understanding is that it’s only is recoverable a few seconds before a crash.

Any experts out there?
Not an expert, but interested too.
Your Vehicle Black Box: A 'Witness' Against You In Court

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> ... People disappearing into thin air or being murdered are significant problems. We'd be a pretty weird species if some of us didn't notice and ponder what was up. Just watching the birds in our yard get all interested when someone's baby falls out of the nest too soon, makes me think it's a pretty widespread pattern (and these birds aren't even of the same species and some of them are interested for nefarious reasons - just like humans).

Suzanne's case got lots of traction because we all like to think that fairly well-off, attractive people with the means to have lovely vacations don't just disappear into thin air on Mother's Day. Since she's also a mother who has posted many pictures of herself and her daughters, the case was perfectly timed to grab attention.

But the lack of facts is not unusual at all. It's too early for LE to tip its hand. They need to find Suzanne.

Where could she be?
My mind keeps wandering back to something I've read and something I feel when I personalize questions like yours. What would I do.... what would you do to hide a body in order to feel "safe" about doing something so risky?

Where have killers hidden bodies and what do many who are trained in such things have to say about that subject? One possible answer is: The disposal place is known to the killer as a result of their own personal history and current knowledge of the place they choose. They've been there before and the place holds some meaning for them.

And, they wouldn't have to transport a poor victim out into the woods or worry about evidence left behind in houses or in vehicles, etc. They could simply suggest a day trip where the poor, unsuspecting victim might be happy to get out of the house for a day and go do something adventurous. ...Maybe even go someplace where they've enjoyed themselves in the past, too.

When hunters, hikers, bikers and adventurers go to wilderness spots, they don't always follow the beaten paths.

This comment is not meant to point at any specific person. It's a generalization and could easily be incorrect.

JMO and speculation

It sure would. This is one of those cases where the only developments will be huge developments; they’ll come out of nowhere.

I get the impression that we’re going to be waiting a while.

I think you mentioned this in an earlier post—that this case is gonna take awhile. I’m curious how you can tell? What makes you think this will be a long-haul situation? You’re always so spot-on...

I think you mentioned this in an earlier post—that this case is gonna take awhile. I’m curious how you can tell? What makes you think this will be a long-haul situation? You’re always so spot-on...
It comes down to the lack of a body. Things moved quickly in the Kelsey Berreth case, as there was a cooperating witness.

In the Gannon Stauch case, the suspect was an evidence manufacturing machine.

Unless there is a cooperating witness, or Suzanne’s body is found, I don’t have a great deal of hope that things will move as quickly as those cases.

Of course we don’t know the evidence, but even if it is very strong there won’t be a rush. The bar is higher when there is no body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shhhhtheresrabbits