MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is policy to check the note and inform the person that the money may be counterfeit, and "advise" them to call police, but not to call police and tell the person they have to wait. If the clerk suspects they have been given a counterfeit bill, then yes, they should notify police. Just not call 911 and make the 'customer' wait.

The person with the counterfeit money may well be a victim themselves since they will suffer financial loss, especially if they have recieved large bills.

It's like this at any place of employment where one has to pay money in exchange for something, in the US and in Canada. Imo

nope not where I live in Canada and in at least three companies that I've worked for
anyway, this is O/T

[bbm]

ETA: AliceinPain posted a U.S. link that says: Delay the passer with some excuse, if possible. so it's actually quite similar to our Canadian process

If You Suspect A Counterfeit

so the clerk or whoever instructed him/her could quite possibly have been following protocol

Last edited:
Does the video start when police arrive at the scene?
I haven't seen the video, but I don't want to see only what those with an agenda want us to see.
The video speaks for itself. The officers mocked him as he lay on the ground struggling to breathe, and Chauvin continued to kneel on his neck for nearly three minutes after he was clearly dead.

The Statement of Probable Cause describes what happened before the video starts. Floyd resisted by refusing to get in the car, stating over and over that he couldn't breathe, and falling down on the ground.

The officers already had him handcuffed and inside the car before they pulled him out, threw him on the ground on his stomach, put pressure on his back and kneeled on his neck for over eight minutes, using a maneuver that had been banned.

This was probably posted days ago, but I just stumbled across it. Way to go officer! moo

Matt M. McKnight on Twitter

In that video, the cop who has his knee on the neck lifted it off the guy once, and also was actually actively detaining the protester. Good for the officer for tapping the other cop's knee and moving it, and good for the cop for allowing his knee to be moved. I don't think in that case, the cop meant to kill the person at all, so unlike what happened in Mr. Floyd's case.

We have suspected counterfeit money and a refusal to return the cigarettes after the fake money was recognized. The 911 call describes a drunk and uncontrolled suspect. The suspect was actively resisting being handcuffed and struggled when officers tried to take him to the police car.

That sounds like an intoxicated man broke the law, resisted arrest and died during the ensuing altercation. How is that a reason for people to loot, vandalize and burn their communities? It's unfortunate that he died while resisting arrest, but there were so many ways for this to be avoided. First, don't use counterfeit money. Second, don't be intoxicated in public. Third, don't resist arrest. Fourth, if you rob a store with counterfeit money, don't sit in a car around the corner and wait for police to arrive.

"A report was made on the evening of 25 May, when Mr Floyd bought a pack of cigarettes from Cup Foods, a grocery store. Believing the $20 bill he used to be counterfeit, a store employee reported it to police.

In a call to 911, made at 20:01, the employee told the operator he had demanded the cigarettes back but "he [Floyd] doesn't want to do that", according to a transcript released by authorities.

The employee said the man appeared "drunk" and "not in control of himself", the transcript says.

After approaching the car, one of the officers, Thomas Lane, pulled out his gun and ordered Mr Floyd to show his hands. In an account of the incident, prosecutors do not explain why Mr Lane thought it necessary to draw his gun.

Mr Lane, prosecutors said, "put his hands on Mr Floyd, and pulled him out of the car". Then Mr Floyd "actively resisted being handcuffed".

Once handcuffed, though, Mr Floyd became compliant while Mr Lane explained he was being arrested for "passing counterfeit currency".

It was when officers tried to put Mr Floyd in their squad car that a struggle ensued."​

The last 30 minutes of George Floyd's life

BBM

That sounds like an intoxicated man broke the law, resisted arrest and died during the ensuing altercation. How is that a reason for people to loot, vandalize and burn their communities? It's unfortunate that he died while resisting arrest, but there were so many ways for this to be avoided. First, don't use counterfeit money. Second, don't be intoxicated in public. Third, don't resist arrest. Fourth, if you rob a store with counterfeit money, don't sit in a car around the corner and wait for police to arrive.

I am just curious. In what world do you live where it is ok for someone to be strangled until they die on the street in broad daylight?

I am sorry but in this world you don't hold a man down and choke him to death over a 20.00 bill whether it is fake or real. You don't hold him down and choke him to death even if he was drunk as a skunk on a Saturday night (which we have no proof Mr. Floyd was). And you don't hold him down and choke him to death because he resists being handcuffed after he tells you he is claustrophobic . Whether you wear a uniform or not. Sorry, it was outright murder. There is no way you can justify it.

The whole world has watched a man being choked for almost 9 minutes until he was dead by a police officer in broad daylight with witnesses (including a firefighter) standing there begging them to let him up so he could breathe and to check his pulse.

Video, especially when you have multiple video's, do not lie.

I suggest watching the video again to refresh yourself on just what happened. Right after you sit and stare at your watch for 9 minutes so you realize how horribly long that was for a man being held down and choked to suffer through.

JMO

Union president Kroll wrote letter to the police federation. He states officers fired without due process, no one is looking to Mr. Floyd's "violent" background, and reason for the unrest is that the city did not hire 400 more officers. Not sure where to go with this one.

His letter is embedded in the article.

Former Minneapolis chief shares letter from police union president on George Floyd, calls for his badge

reason for edit: looked for a more MSM source

kaen.... Thnx for this post. I read Kroll’s letter—wow, lots there that doesn’t surprise me. I can see why the former Chief called for his badge IF she goes along with all that impaired police being effective, as in being denied hiring more recruits, etc. Lots to look into, knowing of factors involved in destroying this country which goes way on up the power ladder & deep into all levels of governing.

The family's call for 1st degree murder with this new autopsy seems reasonable to me. The first autopsy makes no sense as it points to no real reason for his death. He may have had BP problems, may have had some heart disease (not uncommon at his age). A combo of factors killed him according to the first report. And, no his larynx wasn't damaged but that doesn't mean that the compression on his neck and weight of three officers on his prone body didn't deprived him of oxygen.....

The family of George Floyd and their lawyers on Monday called for a first-degree murder charge to be filed against ex-Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin, who already faces lesser murder and manslaughter charges, after an independent autopsy found that Floyd died as the result of asphyxiation from sustained pressure on his neck and back.

Floyd’s family and lawyers also called for the three officers who were with Chauvin as he knelt on Floyd’s neck for more than eight minutes should also be criminally charged, although lawyers did not specify what those charges should be.

“They knew that they were applying restraints that could or would cause death,” said Antonio Romanucci, one of the lawyers for Floyd’s family, about the other cops, none of whom has been charged. “They are criminally liable because they knew what they were doing could lead to death.”

“Not only was the knee on George’s neck a cause of his death, but so was the weight of the other two police officers on his back, who not only prevented blood flow into his brain but also air flow into his lungs,”
George Floyd family calls for first-degree murder charges against cop after independent autopsy finds asphyxiation killed him

In that video, the cop who has his knee on the neck lifted it off the guy once, and also was actually actively detaining the protester. Good for the officer for tapping the other cop's knee and moving it, and good for the cop for allowing his knee to be moved. I don't think in that case, the cop meant to kill the person at all, so unlike what happened in Mr. Floyd's case.

What is important is that the cop made an effort to redirect the other officer. Unfortunately, many officers who call out issues or redirect pay a price of being ostracized for speaking out. The blue wall of silence is real and enforced in many departments. It will be the hardest and most daunting aspect of creating change.

Ok, does this then mean the 4 officers can be charged with false arrest?

And, I would hope in light of this information the store owner would update protocol so employees are trained properly on how to report counterfeit currency.

IMO they did not have probable cause to immediately arrest him over the counterfeit bill (if it was in fact counterfeit, we have not heard a determination from the Secret Service as to whether the bill was real or fake). They should have questioned him to:

1. Determine if he knew the bill was counterfeit and
2. Find out where he obtained it.

If he was intoxicated (and as yet we have had no toxicology report to determine if alchocol or drugs was in his blood stream) then a breathalizer should have been offered and if he was intoxicated then they would have probable cause to arrest him for either being drunk in public or DUI.

But I didn't see any of that being done on those videos. So no, IMO they did not have probable cause to immediately drag him out of his vehicle, arrest and handcuff him. And they certainly did not have any right to kill him while bystanders were begging them to let him up so he could breathe. They didn't even try to do CPR to revive him.

As an aside note, people who know they have committed a crime do not sit in their car waiting for police to arrive. Make of that what you will.

JMO

So I heard on a couple news videos last night that Chauvin is on suicide watch (looking for link)

I wonder if he really is, or if they’re just saying that so they can keep him isolated bc they know he’d get attacked in jail.

Or, would they just say they’re protecting him if that were the case? I doubt it, moo.

He won’t last in prison. No wonder he wants to kill himself (if he does). He’s probably trembling thinking about his future.

Last edited:
nope not where I live in Canada and in at least three companies that I've worked for
anyway, this is O/T

[bbm]

ETA: AliceinPain posted a U.S. link that says: Delay the passer with some excuse, if possible. so it's actually quite similar to our Canadian process

If You Suspect A Counterfeit

so the clerk or whoever instructed him/her could quite possibly have been following protocol
IMO this is not O/T as the issue of a counterfeit bill was why the police were called and part of the entire incident leading to the death of Mr. Floyd.

Family autopsy: Floyd asphyxiated by sustained pressure

This is unacceptable. This man was treated terribly by people who are supposed to protect and serve. Mr. Floyd deserved better than this. And the City of Minneapolis deserved better.

The supervision of this officer should also be reviewed, if 18 separate complaints were dismissed previously, that is a problem.

Doesn't this sound more like accidental death while resisting arrest? Floyd resisted when the handcuffs were used and again when police tried to put him in the police car. When that happens, it's much easier for things to go wrong.
It's much easier for things to go wrong when someone presses their knee on your neck for 8 minutes 46 seconds.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner's report released Monday declares the death of George Floyd as a homicide, writing that he died of "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual restraint, and neck compression."
The updated report states that George Floyd died from a loss of blood flow due to compression on his neck while being restrained by Minneapolis police.
Hennepin County Medical Examiner declares George Floyd death homicide

So I heard on a couple news videos last night that Chauvin is on suicide watch (looking for link)

I wonder if he really is, or if they’re just saying that so they can keep him isolated bc they know he’d get attacked in jail.

Or, would they just say they’re protecting him if that were the case? I doubt it, moo.

He won’t last in prison. No wonder he wants to kill himself (if he does). He’s probably trembling thinking about his future.

He should be under suicide watch, and if and when he is deemed not at risk for suicide, he should still be held safely inside.

I don't want to learn about another Epstein situation, nor do I want him murdered or attacked inside even though he appears to have become a murderer himself. I feel this way about all prisoners' safety inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member