Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to counter speculate a bit. A 3-4 day trip to a location at least 7 hours away (Idaho, with one restroom break) is unlikely. I speculate the daughters were gone from earlier in the week, probably the previous weekend.
bbm
Snipped for focus.

Yes, it's possible they were away for the entire week.
As it was a long distance to travel.
I keep thinking ID is at least 14 hours one way from Salida, CO ?
Or not ?
If you're right and it was 7 hours than maybe they flew ?

So then who was the last person to see or speak with Suzanne and when ?
Imo.

And if BM wasn't the author of that message to the church in IN, telling them SM's bike was crashed, then who was it?
Who else would send their old church a message asking for prayer?
Who would know that her bike was found "crashed" and how would they know that?
Did the same person contact the person in charge of the prayer chain at the new church?

At first I didn't think it was BM that sent the message because the article says “Barry is just beside himself and so are the rest of us because they can’t find her,” the message, sent on May 11, reads in part." ‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

Those first few days, it was TN doing all the speaking, so I thought maybe it was him that sent this message but it sort of doesn't make sense he'd contact their old church in a previous state where they lived.

Ellen Killoran wrote this article and I don't think she's a member here, but @leighEg is, so maybe we can ask her to ask EK to join us :cool:

Maybe her daughters. I assume they went to church, too, and know that people there would want to know and hope to help.

JMO After 21 days, chances of finding her there are slim, evidence also, but just in case...plenty to see saw about, this isn’t much of a wobble......and if BM has really been looking here, he may feel nothing leftto find...

You may well be right about the probabilities. However, bear in mind that he made it clear that there were locations still not searched and also made a point of saying at the beginning of the interview that despite all their searching, "we're gonna miss stuff", or something to that effect. The point is, no matter how low the likelihood of finding her, he doesn't even mention her. Instead he talks about things, or words to that effect. I think that is so telling.

You may well be right about the probabilities. However, bear in mind that he made it clear that there were locations still not searched and also made a point of saying at the beginning of the interview that despite all their searching, "we're gonna miss stuff", or something to that effect. The point is, no matter how low the likelihood of finding her, he doesn't even mention her. Instead he talks about things, or words to that effect. I think that is so telling.
And “chilling.”

BM certainly tops the list of who LE will be looking at. But he’s not necessarily the primary or only connection to that searched riverside property. It would be slack of us to ignore other reasons for LE’s interest IMO. No formal permits were issued to BM to conduct work there, he was presumably at that riverside site as a subcontractor along with a crew of some sort (we can assume he has a crew because he said words to this effect relating to his Denver Mother’s Day job).

And nor is BM the primary connection to County Rd 240 near Maysville which had rangers stationed there from 3am when media visited and questioned what what going on.

So LE may well be interested in people close to BM and not just him. We’ve got to keep an open mind here. If for one moment we assume BM is completely in the clear, it’s possible that any number of individuals knew he was going to be in Denver on Mother’s Day weekend, that his daughters were interstate, and that SM would be home alone. It would be as simple as BM saying to a co-worker or friend, for example: “I’m heading to Denver early Sunday morning, we really have to get this job ready for an early start Monday, I feel a bit stink doing this on Mothers Day and leaving Suzanne home by herself while the girls are away, but she doesn’t want to come. I’ll head back Sunday night once the crew are setup and will see you on Monday at the riverside place for the concrete pour,” or whatever.

This creates opportunity for a related third party to be involved. Yes, it’s not the number one likelihood, but who knows what sort of characters BM works with, or what (indirect) interest in or (direct) connection to his wife a related third party may have.

Just a couple of minor things.

If someone else's DNA (other than Morphew) is found on the bike, then that should lead directly to a close associate of BM's, because someone had to know what you state (that BM and the daughters were out of town - so they seized opportunity).

That particular someone either attacked Suzanne on her bike ride, or in her home. How did s/he do this without leaving touch DNA? I'm guessing that if any non-familial DNA is found in the house that friends of BM's and SM's will be asked for a swab.

But what if no stranger DNA is found on the bike or in the house/garage? Well, then, of course LE would look at all the DNA found in BM's truck. What if still no stranger DNA?

There's just no way that this mystery assailant who is known to the family would leave absolutely no evidence of any kind. Footprint, tire tread, cell phone (because yes, LE can find out who was in a particular area on a particular date if they are using a cell phone - not sure if they can use GPS without the phone, but BM's associates would all be asked for their phone data, I'd imagine - so that they could "help find Suzanne.")

Those who refused and.or lawyered up would certainly remain on LE's radar. For years and years.

If an investigation turns up no evidence whatsoever of one of BM's friends/associates being involved, what then?

BM came home to this. IMO someone grabbed her wrestled the bike away from her and threw it down the ravine. My heart goes out to him and his daughters. 3 1/2 weeks and you have both LE and FBI there. :confused: If they had believed in the husband in the first place, like I do , maybe she would have been found.

I’m firmly on the fence here. Can you share any actual evidence that SM was abducted by another party OR there is evidence that LE isn’t pursuing possibilities besides the husband?

Is it not possible that while police has BM firmly in their sights, they are also looking at other possibilities?

I freely declare that I misspeak a lot and it's much worse when I'm tired, anxious or stressed, so I try not to read too much into some comments people make under extreme stress. Stress to know your wife is missing and you weren't there, stress knowing people suspect you, stress feeling helpless. Assuming he's uninvolved in her disappearance and assuming the area was searched thoroughly, to me that does leave only abduction and there's more than one reason to abduct someone. The other option would be that she disappeared because she wanted to, but I don't believe she'd do that to her children especially on Mother's Day.

I can easily understand misspeaking 400 deployments while meaning 4 deployments or 400 days, or 4 tours, 200sqmi vs 200mi radius, etc. I understood him using the word 'abducted' in relation to a possible animal attack, too. Could also be hyperbole out of exhaustion and helplessness.

Stress can also bring out the (inadvertent) truth in some people, so oh, well – tough to know sometimes.

He doesn't know what happened to her; that's why he talks of bike accident mountain lion, car accident and human abduction. If she was (abducted) by mountain lion, there would be some kind of indication even after a rain. Was it a heavy or light rainfall makes a difference. I read that dogs can still follow scent after rain unless it's a super soaker. Scents need moisture to survive. And depending on length of time the person passed through affects scent, too. I'm not sure why he'd hesitate or change the subject when asked when she was last seen.

Maybe her daughters. I assume they went to church, too, and know that people there would want to know and hope to help.

How then, do the daughters know about the bike being found crashed? As far as we know, only BM came home on Sunday. The daughters planned to come home, but there is no story about them arriving. In fact, Fire Chief says they are elsewhere when he gives his first interview to MSM.

We now have confirmation of BM arriving home on Sunday night, but nothing about the daughters, so let's not speculate any further than we have to. Even if the daughters contacted the church, they would have had to contact someone in Mayville to find out about the crashed bike.

Right?

Just a couple of minor things.

If someone else's DNA (other than Morphew) is found on the bike, then that should lead directly to a close associate of BM's, because someone had to know what you state (that BM and the daughters were out of town - so they seized opportunity).

That particular someone either attacked Suzanne on her bike ride, or in her home. How did s/he do this without leaving touch DNA? I'm guessing that if any non-familial DNA is found in the house that friends of BM's and SM's will be asked for a swab.

But what if no stranger DNA is found on the bike or in the house/garage? Well, then, of course LE would look at all the DNA found in BM's truck. What if still no stranger DNA?

There's just no way that this mystery assailant who is known to the family would leave absolutely no evidence of any kind. Footprint, tire tread, cell phone (because yes, LE can find out who was in a particular area on a particular date if they are using a cell phone - not sure if they can use GPS without the phone, but BM's associates would all be asked for their phone data, I'd imagine - so that they could "help find Suzanne.")

Those who refused and.or lawyered up would certainly remain on LE's radar. For years and years.

If an investigation turns up no evidence whatsoever of one of BM's friends/associates being involved, what then?

Precisely. And we don’t know what DNA was in the house or on whatever items LE may have removed. There’s no way they are telling us that stuff at this point. If it’s a close friend or colleague it might not be surprising to find evidence of them being inside the house on occasion (but what may be interesting is if DNA or prints were found in a part of the house you wouldn’t ordinarily expect a visitor to be in e.g. bedsheets or a patch of carpet in the master bedroom). And hypothetically it could even be someone SM invited into the house, not necessarily for the first time either, without BM’s knowledge. That person could’ve known SM’s bike routine and could’ve done exactly what we’re all inferring BM may have done. We just aren’t privy to that sort of info yet.

Re the bike, there was wild social media speculation I read in many places regarding the bike being wiped completely clean of fingerprints when it was found - i.e. not even SM’s. That’s complete speculation because the persons saying it didn’t verify themselves, but what if it isn’t? All I’m saying is we can’t rule things out and focus solely on one individual when we just don’t know.

All speculation. All MOO. But just trying to think outside the box we all seem to be in here with this case.

We know for certain the Ms were currently sharing a home right? Not to throw a monkey wrench but it just hit me. We know for sure that BM left from the family home for his trip? “The girls need you”. It sounds unlike what a spouse would say.

I just watch the video of Tyson Draper showing the creek near SM house. There is a possibility she may have had an accident and fell into the creek and got swept away. The water does look very fast flowing and there are a lot of rocks, I hope they have looked into this possibility too. I have known of many instances where people have been swept away by small creeks especially after heavy rains but they have always been found. Sometimes, bodies get caught up between rocks which makes it difficult for searchers. I just want her to be found.

How then, do the daughters know about the bike being found crashed? As far as we know, only BM came home on Sunday. The daughters planned to come home, but there is no story about them arriving. In fact, Fire Chief says they are elsewhere when he gives his first interview to MSM.

We now have confirmation of BM arriving home on Sunday night, but nothing about the daughters, so let's not speculate any further than we have to. Even if the daughters contacted the church, they would have had to contact someone in Mayville to find out about the crashed bike.

Right?
Exactly we just don’t know what we don’t know IMO
But... we experienced sleuthers know the odds and many may have independently formed opinions as to what Might have happened - most of which may not be shared yet - so we wait... and hope MSM figures out what questions they should be asking and what research they should be doing in the meantime -without Hurting the criminal investigation that is, without a doubt, occurring now
IMO

Right?

Relax. I answered a question here and we are here to speculate - that's what we do here. I've seen wilder things postulated here. Someone asked a question and I gave an answer that's a real life possibility. No sleuthing involved - it's a possibility as much as others.

To answer your question "how would they know..." family do talk to each other and they're not little kidlets - they'd want to know as much as possible. It would odd to assume they weren't told anything and at that time, there'd be so much anxiety that any number of things could have come up in the conversations.

ETA: So, not the daughters because now I see that BM was referred to by name in the email the only person I ever heard speak about themselves in the third person was 'Jimmy' on Seinfeld.

Last edited:
I’m firmly on the fence here. Can you share any actual evidence that SM was abducted by another party OR there is evidence that LE isn’t pursuing possibilities besides the husband?

Is it not possible that while police has BM firmly in their sights, they are also looking at other possibilities?
My evidence, that utube video. He obviously is upset with LE and he does not sound one iota suspicious to me. I hope the sheriff is looking elsewhere. He sure was gung ho on the husband.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993