Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my.

All I know is "its too soon" for this, as BM himself recently said.

I'm still hoping she can somehow be found alive still.

Maybe that's what he meant by that remark. That he's still dealing with the disappearance and it's too soon to think about any practicalities.

(I have as yet no opinion as to who might be responsible for her disappearance.)

My worry is that even if they are served and do know, her father is too elderly to respond, perhaps trusts Barry, and Barry knows that. The daughters may similarly simply think it's some minor thing their dad has to do in order to deal with the house in Indiana, or they may be scared. Perhaps they want their father to have more funds, anticipating his legal defense. Perhaps they believe he is innocent and they're upset with the police.

I hope the daughters have some adults in their lives that can give them gentle advice in this situation, but frankly, I think most kids that age would probably fall in line behind Dad. Unless they had some reason to doubt his motives.

JMO
I share your concerns.

If nobody contests it and if SM would not want this or any of her shared property controlled by him at this point until her missing case gets resolved, then it would be very sad if this goes through against her wishes.

Can a member of the general public contest it on her behalf using a reason that we dont know her whereabouts and if she was harmed we dont know who harmed her yet?

I've thought of a couple scenario's of why BM
is doing this. 2 possibilities on the old house in Indiana.
1. They buyers of Indiana house are procuring their own financing/mortgage on the house and want to pay off BM/SM and close out the land contract they used when house was sold to new buyers. I can understand them wanting to do this considering the suspicions of BM being culpable for SM's disappearance.
Things could get very messy if they wait for this to play out.
2. Buyers of Indiana house maybe aren't able to keep up payments on home to be paid to BM/SM- due to Covid many are out of work.
If this is the case, maybe they want to back out of purchasing the house. Maybe BM needs
to file foreclosure on Indiana house to get it back if payments have stopped being made.
More likely it's #1.
I agree number 1 is more likely. Assuming that the buyers are in a lease to own type agreement, their payments may not be enough to cover BM's needs. The buyers of the Indiana house may have been offered a big discount if they would procure their own mortgage. Moomoo

wouldn't it be bizarre if SM was actually found somewhere--incapacitated and/or disabled??? Nothing would surprise me more...

Ahhhh... like they were in this together and it was staged for money? THAT would be crazy, but that is the world we live in. I have a hard time believing she would put her kids through anything though....

JMO
I share your concerns.

If nobody contests it and if SM would not want this or any of her shared property controlled by him at this point until her missing case gets resolved, then it would be very sad if this goes through against her wishes.

Can a member of the general public contest it on her behalf using a reason that we dont know her whereabouts and if she was harmed we dont know who harmed her yet?
I hope FBI looks closely at this and if any shanaigans are up, they would step in. Is that possible? Moo

I wonder if anyone in SM immediate family has been asked to provide a dna sample to have on file - in the event a unknown body is recovered that could be a match to her? That would be a very tough but much needed request of a family member. IMO

if you and your spouse have everything in both of your names, financial accounts, etc. you can freely take and deposit at will. but, if something happens to your spouse and they are disabled, dementia, etc. a POA would allow you to handle financial, auto, real property, etc (whatever specific powers it has) - a medical POA or health care surrogate would handle health related things including HIPPA if well drafted. so in a happy marriage, unless there is a reason to think you may need to act on behalf of your spouse, you may not need them. When our lawyers prepare estate plans they almost always include the POA - just in case. If you and your spouse own a property as husband and wife, both of you need to sign the deed to convey title to your buyer. but if you have a POA you could sign for your spouse. if your spouse is around and incapacitated, you may need to do a guardianship to sell that same property which is expensive. A POA is a cheap insurance document IMO.
does that help?
I'm not a lawyer of course but I do have my own POA because I trust the person I am giving all my authority to.
IMO

Thank you very much. You've given me food for thought.

I do have a health care POA that names spouse and one of the kids. Now that we're getting older maybe we need to think about something more.

I wonder if anyone in SM immediate family has been asked to provide a dna sample to have on file - in the event a unknown body is recovered that could be a match to her? That would be a very tough but much needed request of a family member. IMO

I imagine that the DNA sample was done before they put up her case on Namus. I think that's pretty routine these days.

I appreciate the legal knowledge of those speaking to this recent IN court filing. This is probably a really stupid question (yes, I believe they do exist. lol). Is it possible the husband could be saying - hey my wife is out there alive somewhere and she walked away from her life and I need to move on with our business affairs without her? Could this be a tactic to draw someone out of hiding?

(Again, I believe this poor woman is deceased)

Edited: spelling

Last edited:

JMO
When LE searched their house I would guess they managed to get her hair from a brush that would have a root attached that they would have already. Same for a toothbrush or similar object known that she would use and have her DNA.

They could also Subpeona someone to get DNA if official charges are ever filed and the person somehow objects to giving a sample.

What is interesting about BM being added to the G** page at the 11th hour is that funds MUST be withdrawn in 30 days and we are approaching that date. Donations have dwindled down to nothing at this point, the last being a week ago. When he saw he'd gotten the most he will probably get... his name was put on for a quick cash grab. IMO

I appreciate the legal knowledge of those speaking to this recent IN court filing. This is probably a really stupid question (yes, I believe they do exist. lol). Is it possible the husband could be saying - hey my wife is out there alive somewhere and she walked away from her life and I need to move on with our business affairs without her? Could this be a tactic to draw someone out of hiding?

(Again, I believe this poor women is deceased)
It is possible but I have never heard of a guardianship granted when the Ward is missing - in fact, other than the Michael Chambers case (she had him declared deceased, which is different) I haven't heard of this ever in all my years of following missing persons cases. Even if there is no suspicions regarding the petitioner and the Ward being missing - to take away their rights without access to an examination would set a serious precedent IMO. And frankly, it only really matters if the missing person has assets that the petitioner wants access to. Otherwise, why bother?
Anyone else find any missing persons that had a guardian appointed in their absence? it's a good research project I think.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member