Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning sunshines! Lucky # 13 thread...I’ve got some catching up to do! I was also wondering about those unpaid taxes. Maybe they were in over their heads after buying the Colorado house. Perhaps BM thought Suzanne was not going to beat cancer again and he was planning on waiting and paying taxes out of her life insurance money? Financial stress can cause a lot of tension. I wonder if they both did the finances or if BM took care of everything. Maybe Suzanne was having second thoughts about the move and wanted to go back to Indiana? IMO something happened to cause a violent argument. Speculating SM told Barry she wasn’t happy there or she found out about something...debt she didn’t know about or possibly an affair? Maybe Suzanne suspected something and showed up unexpectedly in Denver? I wish we knew if LE was searching in Denver?

In the Diemel case, the wife of one of the missing brothers petitioned the judge to appoint her as a special administrator for the brothers' estates, including the management of their livestock business. They lived in WI and the family business was based there.
I believe she had them declared dead in just a month. She had a business to run.

Okay, I see the names on the statement, but I still don’t understand why the owners are listed as BM/SM under Ownership and that their CO address is the one listed for tax statements. If it sold outright without BM/SM financing them or setting up a “lease to own” with or without contingencies in 5/2019 wouldn’t all this be under those names MM/AM?
Note on May 2019 property was transferred from BM/SM to BM/SM.
Plus, why would they NOT pay taxes by due date when there is a 5% penalty if not paid by May 11???
Hamilton County, IN - Property Records

Pursuant to COVID-19, Gov of IN extended the due date of property taxes so they were not due on May 10.

Also, I believe there was a sale last May on a Contract. If the deed was not recorded at the time, the "deeded owner" would still show BM/SM. MOO

Some people cope with grief by throwing themselves into dealing with practical matters.

The two fires in Chaffee County were both grassland fires, IIRC. I've looked it up a couple of times. They were small, put out quickly and not in mountainous terrain. Very easy to search, no hot-burning fuel, Suzanne was still alive (we think) at the time of those fires.

I'm still very curious about the Fire Camp. If it in fact has a wood chipper and a grinder barrel, that's concerning - except that by now, LE must surely have tested those items for human blood and DNA.

Regarding whatever the property transaction is it seems the court would require SM to also have an attorney present to protect her interests/assets and those of her daughters and maybe appoint someone for them? Hopefully whoever signed the waiver was informed properly and is watching over where the proceeds end up. I can’t imagine having to deal with this and not have any answers. Hopefully this is an emergency transaction only and SM’s family will have more time to plan and act before the next hearing.

I don't know how to embed a link, but the property tax extension is explained on Hamilton County's site:

Hamilton County, IN

EBM to add: Late penalties are waived under the executive order.

EBM to add: Typically, the purchaser under a land contract is responsible for taxes during the term of the contract. However, a seller may elect to collect the amount from the buyer and pay it to the county themselves to ensure payment. They don't want to be in a position where they have to foreclose on the land contract, only to find the taxes are also unpaid.

Last edited:
Some people cope with grief by throwing themselves into dealing with practical matters.

The two fires in Chaffee County were both grassland fires, IIRC. I've looked it up a couple of times. They were small, put out quickly and not in mountainous terrain. Very easy to search, no hot-burning fuel, Suzanne was still alive (we think) at the time of those fires.

I'm still very curious about the Fire Camp. If it in fact has a wood chipper and a grinder barrel, that's concerning - except that by now, LE must surely have tested those items for human blood and DNA.
bbm

Possibly they did, hence the search under the concrete slab ? :(

I keep wondering if she was being pressured into selling and she didn’t really want to. And maybe there were subsequent plans for the proceeds that she was objecting to.
Respectfully, I don’t think so. She enthusiastically advertised the house herself on her own Facebook page in May of 2018. I think the house sale arrangement, whatever it is, is coinciding with her disappearance and the Morphews have a contract or agreement to follow through on.

Pursuant to COVID-19, Gov of IN extended the due date of property taxes so they were not due on May 10.

Also, I believe there was a sale last May on a Contract. If the deed was not recorded at the time, the "deeded owner" would still show BM/SM. MOO
Correct. A Contract was done last May but not a normal
purchase Contract. And no one recorded the contract. There was NO DEED because the
sale was not completed, til the contingency was
satisfied. Probably for new financing. The new buyers were young professionals setting up their own business and most likely did not have proper financials to qualify for a new mtge. for a certain period of time. Now they can qualify because they've been in business for a year and probably have adequate income to qualify.

This situation is bringing to mind another case we followed here.. what state was it in? Darn braincells can't recall.

I think it was the "woodchipper" or "burn/cremation for animals" case where the guy went out of state to check on his herd, get payment in arrears, and the guys killed him? Anyway, the wife very quickly went to the courts to take over his business to continue such business and do transactions on his behalf.

It was approved.

Not to be off topic, because for discussion sake I think this is on topic as to how such was done with a "missing person" (perhaps presumed dead at that time, but the wife was NEVER a suspect)

Can anyone recall which case in the last 3 years that was as I remember clearly, but can't recall the name or the state. Case name would help, link to such case at Websleuths even more.

TIA.. all above MOO
Yes, I remember this. The guy and his brother
or helper showed up to check on the cows which weren't paid for. Didn't he come from
another state and went to Texas, where the cows were kept?

Regarding whatever the property transaction is it seems the court would require SM to also have an attorney present to protect her interests/assets and those of her daughters and maybe appoint someone for them? Hopefully whoever signed the waiver was informed properly and is watching over where the proceeds end up. I can’t imagine having to deal with this and not have any answers. Hopefully this is an emergency transaction only and SM’s family will have more time to plan and act before the next hearing.
Good points. It just seems so hasty for the courts to grant a guardianship when it hasn’t been very long and an investigation is ongoing. I am curious what other options they could have had. An extension on the contract? Obviously brokers and principals and others involved want to get it done (understandably) but my opinion is that it’s really soon to take over her affairs. I think it’s gross.

Geez BM moving kinda fast don’t ya think. Poor guy he’s so broken up that after only a month he’s already summed it up she no longer alive and got SM already buried. He must know she’s not coming home. Instead of mourning his wife he’s getting all his finances in order. I think BM is the mountain lion he talks about. Another Scott Peterson. Hmmm I wonder how long it will be before he moves his Girlfriend in the Colorado house. This makes me think of Martin MacNeill who moved in Nanny GF Gypsy Willis after killing his wife. JMO MOO
IF he has a gf let’s hope she is smart enough to RUN for the hills as fast as she can! And what woman would move into the same house and sleep in the same room where their boyfriend possibly killed his wife?! If it doesn’t bother her then they might just be perfect for each other!

In my state if you really need guardianship fast you apply and if the Judge approves, get emergency letters with an expiration date- the letters include what you are allowed to do and in the meantime you work on the requirements for permanent guardianship - Training class, initial guardianship plan, inventory of the Wards’ assets, etc. and since there are no objections and venue does not seem to be an issue yet- he likely will get permanent Letters in September IMO
*i still don’t understand how a resident of CO has a guardianship in a state where it’s just property - waiting to see what happens

I too am waiting to see what happens. I do think the Judge will send this back to Colorado if not on grounds of residency than at least in the best interest of SM. I do sincerely hope she is found before the hearing.

BM has applied for permanent guardianship.... It's right there in the court filing. Therefore, this isn't a temporary role to complete one transaction.

OK -well, I’m still not that alarmed. I’m sure there are many “legal affairs” that BM needs to take care of. We don’t know what is going on. Maybe he is faced with medical bills related to SM health issues. Even with insurance, the medical bills get crazy. If the guy needs money, he has every right to sell his real estate. He is being advised by an attorney to do this and he will be accountable to the court. I know it doesn’t look good but it is an uncomfortable practicality.

Last edited:
Correct. A Contract was done last May but not a normal
purchase Contract. And no one recorded the contract. There was NO DEED because the
sale was not completed, til the contingency was
satisfied. Probably for new financing. The new buyers were young professionals setting up their own business and most likely did not have proper financials to qualify for a new mtge. for a certain period of time. Now they can qualify because they've been in business for a year and probably have adequate income to qualify.
I don't have knowledge of the terms in your post as it violates WS TOS to sleuth non POI's or suspects.

According to public records, a memorandum for the Land Contract was filed and recorded on May 2, 2019. The purpose was to give notice of the existence of the
Land Contract.

IMO, most important here is that BM acted as SM under POA for the memorandum, signed April 26, 2019.

ETA: My point being POA was not a foreign idea to SM/BM.

Last edited:
Follo
Thanks for this.

I'm thinking the neighbour must have been given the keypad code when she went to check. Unless the gates were open.
Thanks its so cool we have a WS member who can actually go there in person! Do you think that was really Barry you saw? Followed by an officer wearing a badge? What could that be about? Why would BM leave CO while his wife is missing? Closing on property sale perhaps? Do you think the officer is there for his “protection”? Weird...

I'm not familiar with the woodchipper case referenced. Nonetheless, there are countless cases of misfortune or where a business owner is incapacitated or dies unexpectedly and the court has to intervene to appoint a conservator to prevent loss and/or legal action against the owner or his estate. It sounds like this may have happened in your woodchipper example.

I believe the difference here and/or what most are reacting to (including our attorneys) is BM's use of the Indiana Probate Court to remedy a very common issue of a partner not being available to close escrow.

By very common, this could be one-party stuck at an airport during a storm, home with the flu, in the hospital giving birth, deployed., etc. The simple remedy is a POA -- which is not foreign to this couple as they've used it more than once before (according to public records).

So to ask us to believe otherwise about BM going to IN Probate is like seeking a patent for a pair of shoes when a pair of flip-flops from the corner store will suffice.

All eyes need to be on the IN court come September. MOO

MOO
So we think he will be free to come and go in September? That is a lot of time for him to hang himself? JMO

I don't have knowledge of the terms in your post as it violates WS TOS to sleuth non POI's or suspects.

According to public records, a memorandum for the Land Contract was filed and recorded on May 2, 2019. The purpose was to give notice of the existence of the
Land Contract.

IMO, most important here is that BM acted as SM under POA for the memorandum, signed April 26, 2019.
JMO
Now that is an interesting tidbit!, POA? didn’t think he had one? Weeble to guilty!

I'm not familiar with the woodchipper case referenced. Nonetheless, there are countless cases of misfortune or where a business owner is incapacitated or dies unexpectedly and the court has to intervene to appoint a conservator to prevent loss and/or legal action against the owner or his estate. It sounds like this may have happened in your woodchipper example.

I believe the difference here and/or what most are reacting to (including our attorneys) is BM's use of the Indiana Probate Court to remedy a very common issue of a partner not being available to close escrow.

By very common, this could be one-party stuck at an airport during a storm, home with the flu, in the hospital giving birth, deployed., etc. The simple remedy is a POA -- which is not foreign to this couple as they've used it more than once before (according to public records).

So to ask us to believe otherwise about BM going to IN Probate is like seeking a patent for a pair of shoes when a pair of flip-flops from the corner store will suffice.

All eyes need to be on the IN court come September. MOO

MOO
I'm not familiar with the wood chipper case either but I recently saw that the man who did this was released early from prison. Not sure if he served 20 years. An awful case. moo

OK -well, I’m still not that alarmed. I’m sure there are many “legal affairs” that BM needs to take care of. We don’t know what is going on. Maybe he is faced with medical bills related to SM health issues. Even with insurance, the medical bills get crazy. If the guy needs money, he has every right to sell his real estate. He is being advised by an attorney to do this and he will be accountable to the court. I know it doesn’t look good but it is an uncomfortable practicality.

It's not HIS property it is JOINT and the Jointee HAS rights even when someone is deceased they still have rights. All I am seeing in IN is a trampling and disregard for the Rights.

Even if documents were signed before/shows intent, we still do not know IF THAT signed document was signed under DURESS. We do not know. All we know what BM is trying to go for.

<modsnip: rude>

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members