MN - George Floyd, 46, unarmed, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, as I stated, I don't think that there is any justification for the brutality displayed by Chauvin.

Mr. Floyd was definitely a victim in this situation. But, I don't think that we have to cannonize him. Or not acknowledge that he was positive for illegal drugs at the time of his death.

This doesn't negate him. It is a fact. There is a problem, when people don't want to acknowledge a fact, or try to sugar coat it. My own opinion.

I understand and respect what you’re saying @mickey2942 and I know you’re not justifying Mr Floyd’s execution or victim blaming. I don’t think anyone here is canonizing him, or not wanting to acknowledge his drug use and sugar coat it. We all know about his past and present, as we do Ahmed Arbery’s.

I guess what I’m wondering is...once we know this information, at what point does continuing to discuss it tip over into victim blaming or negating and disrespect? Mr Floyd spent time in prison, had meth and fentanyl in his system and passed an alleged counterfeit $20 bill. Mr Arbery walked into a house under construction and once took a gun to a school dance, etc. It really ceases to matter IMO when both men were clearly executed, Mr Arbery undeniably for being black.

It just saddens me and I’d like to think we give all victims dignity and respect in death here on WS, as we would want done for us or a loved one. This is my own opinion...and I don’t want to cause controversy. I just hope we can all give this some thought.
JMO

Houston’s top prosecutor has concluded that a scandal-ridden former Houston police officer likely lied when he arrested George Floyd on a minor drug offense for which Mr. Floyd served time in state jail.
Ogg said Floyd’s case was among the cases that prosecutors were working to clear.

“We even sent Mr. Floyd a notice, but because all we had was his last known address, I don’t believe he ever received it,” Ogg said. “He would’ve been entitled to relief.”

Ogg: Case involving George Floyd was among Goines cases being reviewed by prosecutors

Right. But remember the alleged crime, paying with a counterfeit $20 is a misdemeanor in Minnesota.
I don't think the alleged crime, or the degree of the crime, had anything to do with why he was killed. It wouldn't have mattered if Floyd had passed a counterfeit bill or robbed the store of $5000, the result would have been the same because Chauvin was the one who responded to the call. Chauvin didn't kill him because of the alleged counterfeit bill, he killed him because he's a sadistic bully and he wanted to show his fellow cops and his audience that he could do whatever he wanted and no one could stop him. I bet he enjoyed listening to the crowd begging him to stop. The guy is a little cray cray if you ask me.

Yes, let's look at the criminals who killed Mr. Floyd. I am all for examining every moment of these killers from before, during and after. No argument from me on that account. However, the examination of Mr. Floyd's past or drug/alcohol use/abuse are red herrings in this care. I have never been to prison and haven't taken drugs/alcohol but if you have three men sitting/kneeling on my prone, handcuffed body for 8 minutes and 42 seconds I am sure I would be dead. I may have unidentified heart disease or just old arteries but I am sure if I was the one dead on the ground and the world saw it---I doubt that people would be talking about my lack of criminal history, lack of drug use/drug abuse and my old heart with lots of plaque. Why are people looking at Mr. Floyd rather than doing precisely what you are saying? It is the officers that should be examined. IMO

ETA: IMO
They will be won't they in a court of law?

Thank y0u for your eloquent post @kaen.

It’s fine to look at the actions of the four accused officers. Most of the evidence you mention regarding the officers is not information we are yet privy to here on WS. All we have is the horrifying 8 minute and 46 second video of the execution of George Floyd. Nothing he did leading up to his execution is or will be considered exculpatory evidence in favor of the defendants, n0t even an alleged counterfeit $20 bill.

Another great post @kaen. When someone is a murder victim here on WS, do we normally examine the victim’s past and actions prior to the murder? If there is clearly no aggression by the victim, it’s called victim-blaming, so why is Mr Floyd’s past, drug/alcohol abuse and allegedly passing a $20 counterfeit bill OK? It’s not.

JMO
A murder victim is not usually under arrest at the time but I guess justifiable force and the degree to which Minneapolis PD use it or authorise it will be well examined at court.

Just jumping in. I am trying to find out if it is true that the woman was pregnant regarding the armed robbery George was involved in, if anyone has any information on that.

Does it really make a difference? The drugs found in Mr Floyd’s system did not create the “need” for him to be forcibly subdued with a knee to his neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds...several minutes past his death. As has been stated, his past, his drug use, and allegedly passing a counterfeit $20 bill were not grounds for execution, even if he was found guilty in court.
JMO
I could not agree more and my position is well expressed in previous posts .

As a trained medical professional, a toxicology report triggers the process of understanding the patient's physiological state, not their character. Rarely are we privy to or interested in their background, as it has no bearing on patient care.

That said, GF's autopsy clearly indicates a need for medical attention, not restraint.

Finally, the store clerk assumed GF was drunk, yet there was no alcohol in his system. And the officers only assumed drug use because at that time, there was no evidence. I am not even convinced that his arrest was legal. IMOO, even if he wasn't killed, GF was doomed; hence, the reason for protest.

This is the only pregnant woman I’ve heard /read about:

Officer Tou Thao is a ten year veteran of the force and was sued by a man, LF in 2014 who alleged that Thao “punch[ed], kick[ed] and kn[eed]” the plaintiff “face and body” resulting in “broken teeth as well as other bruising and trauma”. Thao and fellow responding officers are said to have stopped and searched the plaintiff and his pregnant wife without cause.
Thao and the other officers took Ferguson to hospital for medical treatment before leading him to jail wearing only his underwear and t-shirt, despite pleas from hospital staff.
The case was settled out of court.
This is why police officer Derek Chauvin has not been arrested over death of George Floyd

If it's true what the store clerk said, he was given the chance to return the merchandise but refused. I wonder what the store owner would have done differently? I notice his store did not seem to be damaged and he had BLM signs and a memorial up outside the store in a recent photo.
In the video it appeared as if the employee in the white shirt was trying to stop the officers but they pushed him away. I thought it was mentioned that he was the store owner's son but I'm not sure.

The owner is older and may have been able to talk to the officers and intervene. It seemed as if the bystanders were mostly young adults or kids who were helpless to stop them.

If someone more authoritative had been there, they might have listened instead of pushing them violently away, spraying them with pepper spray, and saying, "Don't do drugs, kids!" in the same tone one would say, "Have a nice day, kids!"

But then again, the women who pleaded with them to check his pulse and told them she was a firefighter didn't seem to phase them either. Maybe they thought she was just a kid, too.

I'm sure the owner was horrified when he saw that video. It was after the fact, so maybe that's why he said if he had been there he would have handled it differently.

Last edited:
I don't see the relevance either. George Floyd isn't going to trial for anything. Chauvin is the one going to trial for murder.

I am in 100% agreement that its not relavent to what happened to George and im also 10000% against it. The only reason I came here to ask is ive read the court docs and its not mentioned anywhere and so I believe its just a rumor started by ignorance and am looking for evidence to put it to rest!! Not that it matters I guess but I feel a fierce desire to protect his memory and not let him be slandered with lies trying to make him look worse.

I am in 100% agreement that its not relavent to what happened to George and im also 10000% against it. The only reason I came here to ask is ive read the court docs and its not mentioned anywhere and so I believe its just a rumor started by ignorance and am looking for evidence to put it to rest!! Not that it matters I guess but I feel a fierce desire to protect his memory and not let him be slandered with lies trying to make him look worse.
What court documents? Do you have a link?

Just jumping in. I am trying to find out if it is true that the woman was pregnant regarding the armed robbery George was involved in, if anyone has any information on that.

That claim appears to have no basis in fact.

There is a meme circulating that shows the photo of a horribly beaten woman that claims she was pregnant at the time and the victim of George Floyd. That photo has nothing to do with the 2007 robbery that landed George Floyd in jail. The woman in the photo is the victim of a 2018 rape in Madrid, Spain.

American student attacked and raped in Madrid neighborhood of Aluche

I don’t think DC stands a chance of living outside prison walls for a very, very long time. I’m not so sure about the other 3 officers.
jmo
DC may not stand a chance of surviving inside prison walls either. Prison officials may have to keep him in solitary confinement or isolation to protect him.

Last edited:
The other officers should have their own trials, and get as far away from Chauvin as possible. That would be my strategy.

I don't know what to think of this case. What would be a reasonable settlement offer for the other officers? Is it better for them to settle or keep this case going on and on?

The civil lawsuit against the Minneapolis PD is going to be a blank check. May as well un fund the police department there, this payout is going to be similar to the payout for Justine Damond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname