Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Zealand confirms two NEW cases of coronavirus — Daily Mail

“Two new COVID-19 cases end New Zealand's 24 day streak of no new infections.

Both had recently returned from trips to the UK, which has a high infection rate.

Jacinda Ardern had recently announced her country had eradicated the virus.

The country's lockdown restrictions have completely lifted but borders are shut.”

They need to completely seal their borders. None of these exceptions for citizens to go 1,000's of miles just so they can bring back the virus. People can't be trusted.

wow they have not come back in stock in my area for months that I know of but I haven't checked physical stores lately ... have just been watching online
I got 50 medical masks from Walgreen's for $29.99
and three masks from Casetify (I also donated 3), a bathing suit company making masks, for $40 + filters.
They are washable and have a disposable carbon filter and are quite comfy!
Reusable Cloth Mask - Black - CASETiFY
20200615_214431.jpg 20200615_214725.jpg

Last edited:
Mutation in new coronavirus increases chance of infection: study

Mutation in new coronavirus increases chance of infection: study

20 hrs ago
(Reuters) - A specific mutation in the new coronavirus can significantly increase its ability to infect cells, according to a study by U.S. researchers.
The research may explain why early outbreaks in some parts of the world did not end up overwhelming health systems as much as other outbreaks in New York and Italy, according to experts at Scripps Research.

The mutation, named D614G, increased the number of "spikes" on the coronavirus - which is the part that gives it its distinctive shape. Those spikes are what allow the virus to bind to and infect cells.
"The number—or density—of functional spikes on the virus is 4 or 5 times greater due to this mutation," said Hyeryun Choe, one of the senior authors of the study.

The researchers say that it is still unknown whether this small mutation affects the severity of symptoms of infected people, or increases mortality.
Older research has showed that the new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 is mutating and evolving as it adapts to its human hosts. The D614G mutation in particular has been flagged as an urgent concern because it appeared to be emerging as a dominant mutation.

Virus second wave fears likely as authorities identify new symptoms

Virus second wave fears likely as authorities identify new symptoms

Natalie Oliveri
1 hour ago
There are fears Australia could be struck down by a second coronavirus wave after a second Black Lives Matter protester tested positive to COVID-19.

Health authorities have also added a lack of taste and smell to the list of coronavirus symptoms as they make a fresh appeal for people to come forward for testing.
There was "still the potential" for more cases to emerge from the protests in Melbourne on June 6.

"The incubation period generally is between five to seven days, but we do know it can stretch out as far as 10-14," Chief nursing and midwifery officer Alison McMillan told Today.
"Recently we've added the loss of taste and smell to the diagnosis because we can definitely see now in the evidence that some people do - that's the first thing they experience."
This was a worry this would happen and now it has, several times now.

Oh, I had occasion to visit the ER tonight. Screened on arrival. Since I have super fun reasons for needing an ER, I always get express service. My husband got to come sit with me. After his screening he got a name tag that said he was my person. In between remodeling and covid they've cut ER visit times in half. It was always 5-6 hours before. We were out in about 2.5 hours tonight. Jmo
Hope you are ok.

That sounds like an assisting living, not a nursing home? In a regular nursing home, residents don't have apartments. They have rooms, in many nursing homes these rooms are shared.
It is a combination of both. The assisted living is the portion where my Mom lives because she is still able to care for herself in her apartment.

But there is another section that is a nursing home, where people have rooms and nurses attend them to help with daily care.

It’s disheartening. I’m glad to see the majority of the protestors are wearing masks. But it has to be almost everyone to make a difference. And using tear gas against them guarantees spread.

Trump should hold his rally outside, at the least.
Trump Campaign Promises Safety Precautions at Controversial Rally

Trump Campaign Promises Safety Precautions at Controversial Rally

“Before entering each guest will get: temperature check, hand sanitizer [and a] mask,” Parscale tweeted Monday. “There will be precautions for the heat and bottle water as well.”

The announcement comes four days after the campaign was panned for requiring attendees to agree to a liability waiver where they “voluntarily assume all risk related” to virus exposure and agree not to hold Trump’s campaign or the arena liable for infection.

“By clicking register below, you are acknowledging that an inherent risk of exposure to Covid-19 exists in any public place where people are present,” the waiver states.

“Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“

They need to completely seal their borders. None of these exceptions for citizens to go 1,000's of miles just so they can bring back the virus. People can't be trusted.
I think they have sealed their borders but this states the two had recently returned from the UK which seems to indicate they normally live in NZ. They have a lot of NZ'ers returning from overseas. Nurses, for example, and round the world travellers. Just proves that a country cannot say it's over. MOO

Well England is nearly normalcy from today when shops are open and masks needed on Public Transport. I guess we will have to watch how it goes.

Shoppers rush to the High Street as stores reopen

• 19 minutes ago
Related Topics
_112900202_gettyimages-1220042603.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionThere were big queues outside the Nike store in Central London
Demand across England's high streets, retail parks and shopping centres surged on Monday morning as some shops reopened after a three month lockdown.

Research firm Springboard said that footfall, up until midday, was 42% higher than last week, and likely to be even higher by the end of the day.

It came as pent-up demand led to reports of long queues at shops such as Primark, Zara and Sports Direct.

However, the shopper numbers were still far below the same time last year.

All shops in England are now allowed to open, although retailers have had to introduce strict safety measures.

These include plastic screens at the tills and floor markings to keep shoppers two metres (6ft 5ins) apart - measures that are already a regular fixture in supermarkets.

Jaydee Darrock, from Warwickshire, was one of the first inside Primark's Birmingham store after queuing from about 07:00. She described it as "surprisingly calm".

"We thought it would be chaotic, it's not, it's quite nice," she said.

I am a horse racing fan, and today at Ascot in England there are the storied races of Royal Ascot and guess what? the races are being run, but without fans for the first time in its history. The Queen usually attends the Royal Ascot races, but she will not be there. The pagentry of this race is amazing - it has been on television now for a few years and will be on TV again this year. I cannot imagine Royal Ascot with no fans but that is how serious this pandemic is. It just makes me sad.

I am a horse racing fan, and today at Ascot in England there are the storied races of Royal Ascot and guess what? the races are being run, but without fans for the first time in its history. The Queen usually attends the Royal Ascot races, but she will not be there. The pagentry of this race is amazing - it has been on television now for a few years and will be on TV again this year. I cannot imagine Royal Ascot with no fans but that is how serious this pandemic is. It just makes me sad.
I think the public crowd events will likely not return for a while yet unfortunately. Did you see the unique birthday ceremony I posted for the Queen that showed the guards social distancing while she watched clearly delighted. Trooping the colour was cancelled for first time in 98 years I think it said.

MOO

I think the public crowd events will likely not return for a while yet unfortunately. Did you see the unique birthday ceremony I posted for the Queen that showed the guards social distancing while she watched clearly delighted. Trooping the colour was cancelled for first time in 98 years I think it said.

MOO

I did see it and it was great to see her: she looks great as always!!!

MOO
Britain is doing it right. The US? Well, next is the political rally in Tulsa. Masks optional. Social distancing not considered. Then, it's on to Texas, Florida, Arizona and North Carolina. Consider this when sports venues are playing w/o spectators.

Great news - I hadn’t heard of this particular drug before now:

A cheap and widely available drug called dexamethasone can help save the lives of patients who are seriously ill with coronavirus.

UK experts say the low-dose steroid treatment is a major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus.

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.

Life-saving coronavirus drug has been found

Oh, I had occasion to visit the ER tonight. Screened on arrival. Since I have super fun reasons for needing an ER, I always get express service. My husband got to come sit with me. After his screening he got a name tag that said he was my person. In between remodeling and covid they've cut ER visit times in half. It was always 5-6 hours before. We were out in about 2.5 hours tonight. Jmo

I hope you are doing okay.

I hope you are doing okay.
There would be a real argument as to whether signing such a waiver would be enforceable

Colleges and universities are working together with their lobbyist organization in Washington, D.C., to get Congress to pass legislation that would give a liability waiver to all colleges and universities as they reopen this fall, so students, faculty and staff can't sue them if they get infected with COVID-19.

I haven’t seen my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter since early March. We FaceTimed almost everyday up until my daughter had a baby (grandson) on May 20. They are sooo busy now and many sleepless nights. We visited before to see the baby on their patio when my granddaughter was napping. But she’s not napping so much now and we’re trying/hoping that we can visit again with 6ft distance and masks. No touching.
Is this too much to understand for a little one? She’s almost three, actually. Before all this we saw each other at least once a week, if not more, so she knows me and she has always been my lovebug.
We visited for the first time since March with my daughter and family outside. We chose the front yard. Mr Pirate and I sat in chairs on the cement driveway over 6 feet back of the grass. The girls age 2 and 4 had toys, little chairs and snacks on the lawn scattered about. The new baby was in moms arms. Dad and mom played with the kids and kept them happy on the grass while we watched and of course chatted and engaged them. They were told they could only stay on the grass. Having the clear distinction of grass and cement helped. The 2 yr old teased and touched her foot to the cement a few times but mom and dad redirected with toys and a kick ball on the lawn. It was a great visit. That said it was so very hard not to scoop the girls up in a big hug.
I hope you can soon try a social distance visit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member