Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long til we get the Supreme Court ruling? Pulling my hair out.

There’s also going to be anti-Trump protestors there, adding to the already large crowd, further fueling the very dangerous situation.

This could be THE super spreading event that....

Praying hard and crossing my fingers this whole event will be be scrapped for the sake of public health and preventing what could turn out to be an absolute catastrophe.

I have such a bad feeling. Please Supreme Court.

I too hope they scrap this absurd event (given the pandemic)- i have a bad feeling though that the judge won't stop it--- first amendment rights and all- you know the right to be a moron and die from being a moron-- that is all of our rights

What explains Ohio's plateau in coronavirus cases despite reopening?

Despite increases in coronavirus cases in several states, Ohio has seen a plateau in new cases and even a decrease in hospitalizations.

Since the beginning of May, Ohio’s seven-day rolling average of new cases each day is down by 85 cases, the number of currently hospitalized patients has been cut by more than half and test results returning positive each day has dropped from 10.7 percent to 3.2 percent.

Also, a smaller percentage of positive cases have resulted in hospitalizations.

"We're not seeing any significant increase or reestablishment of a wave or a peak in Ohio and that’s great," Mark Cameron, an infectious disease researcher and professor in the school of medicine at Case Western Reserve University, told USA Today’s Cincinnati.com. "What that could mean is that people are still generally following the guidelines."

More info at link. Possibilities for plateau.

I too hope they scrap this absurd event (given the pandemic)- i have a bad feeling though that the judge won't stop it--- first amendment rights and all- you know the right to be a moron and die from being a moron-- that is all of our rights
(“The right to be a moron and die from being a moron“ :D ROTF!!)

What explains Ohio's plateau in coronavirus cases despite reopening?

Despite increases in coronavirus cases in several states, Ohio has seen a plateau in new cases and even a decrease in hospitalizations.

Since the beginning of May, Ohio’s seven-day rolling average of new cases each day is down by 85 cases, the number of currently hospitalized patients has been cut by more than half and test results returning positive each day has dropped from 10.7 percent to 3.2 percent.

Also, a smaller percentage of positive cases have resulted in hospitalizations.

"We're not seeing any significant increase or reestablishment of a wave or a peak in Ohio and that’s great," Mark Cameron, an infectious disease researcher and professor in the school of medicine at Case Western Reserve University, told USA Today’s Cincinnati.com. "What that could mean is that people are still generally following the guidelines."

More info at link. Possibilities for plateau.

Additionally from the above link:

“Cameron told the outlet that people should continue to take precautions like social distancing and wearing a face mask.“

Last edited:
'Perfectly Healthy' 16-Year-Old Who Loved Photography and Video Games Died Suddenly from COVID-19

:(
“Because Dawn is a nurse in the nursing home at a continuing care community, the family took more than the usual precautions when the coronavirus started to spread across the United States. After each shift, she’d take off her shoes at the door — where Johnny would disinfect them — and she’d head upstairs to shower. The family cleaned surfaces with disinfectant wipes, wore masks when they had to leave the house and practiced social distancing as much as possible. In fact, Andre was the only family member who did not leave the house at all.”

“Despite an uptick of coronavirus cases in the area and fears the event could be a COVID-19 "super-spreader," many attendees chose to forgo masks and social distancing while in line, where people waited on lawn chairs and with tents.“

On this Juneteenth, the nation wrestles with its past and present

—-

Okla. Supreme Court hearing case requiring COVID-19 measures at Trump rally

“The Oklahoma Supreme Court is expected to hear a case today arguing the president's Tulsa campaign rally scheduled for Saturday should be required to follow COVID-19 prevention measures.”

[...]

The suit notes an "alarming uptick in COVID-19 infections in Tulsa County," and seeks to "protect against a substantial, imminent, and deadly risk to the community."

On Monday, Tulsa County reported an increase rate of COVID-19 cases of more than 16% — its highest rate of new cases since the pandemic started, according to the court filing.

Having an indoor rally under those conditions would constitute a "super-spreader" event in downtown Tulsa, according to the filing.“

[...]

“"This case is not about the president," they wrote. "If ASM Global planned to host an event for Joe Biden, the Oklahoma City Thunder, or Garth Brooks, without following required social distancing protocols, plaintiffs would file the same action seeking the same relief."

They noted ASM Global has cancelled all other mass-gatherings at BOK Center until the end of July.“

[...]

“"Simply put, this Court should order ASM Global to follow the same rules that any other individual or business desiring to host a mass-gathering indoor event in Tulsa County would be required to follow," the attorneys stated in their filing.“

[...]

“Brewster's office said it remains unclear what time the motion will be heard before the court today.“
___

“”We’re in the midst of an alarming explosion of the seven-day average of new cases, and we are asking the Supreme Court to take a look at this issue because we’re concerned about the safety of our beloved city,” DeMuro said.“

Legal challenge seeking to enforce CDC guidelines at Trump rally sent to state Supreme Court

'Biological bomb' ready to blow: Trump defies medical experts pushing MAGA rally as virus cases spike

“A Tulsa lawyer joins The Beat moments after meeting with the Oklahoma Supreme Court, pushing to force CDC safety recommendations for the planned Trump campaign rally. Medical experts warn the rally is “dangerous." As coronavirus cases spike in Oklahoma. But, Trump falsely says it is “dying out.” Oklahoma Emergency Room Doctor Samantha White, a conservative, joins the discussion telling MSNBC Chief Legal Correspondent Ari Melber it’s a “terrible idea’ because coronavirus cases “are up over 100% over the past week.”“

—-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...490308-b197-11ea-a567-6172530208bd_story.html

—-

Conditions are ripe for a toxic Trump campaign rally in Tulsa

“That’s the setting for President Trump’s upcoming indoor rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma on Saturday, which comes after:

Last edited:
'Perfectly Healthy' 16-Year-Old Who Loved Photography and Video Games Died Suddenly from COVID-19

“Because Dawn is a nurse in the nursing home at a continuing care community, the family took more than the usual precautions when the coronavirus started to spread across the United States. After each shift, she’d take off her shoes at the door — where Johnny would disinfect them — and she’d head upstairs to shower. The family cleaned surfaces with disinfectant wipes, wore masks when they had to leave the house and practiced social distancing as much as possible. In fact, Andre was the only family member who did not leave the house at all.”

You really have to wonder how he contracted the virus if he never left the home and it sounds like the family took all precautions. Very sad.

So heartbreaking. My prayers for his family.

You really have to wonder how he contracted the virus if he never left the home and it sounds like the family took all precautions. Very sad.

It seems the virus may have mutated to become more infectious (which is WILD bc it’s already infectious as hell), per a Scripps study, still under peer review iirc. Not saying that’s the reason, just bringing forward:

Jupiter researchers say mutated form of coronavirus is better at infecting cells

Mutation of Coronavirus Is Significantly Increasing Its Ability To Infect

A mutation shows why the coronavirus is such a formidable foe (opinion) - CNN

Mutated coronavirus shows significant boost in infectivity | Scripps Research

“Despite an uptick of coronavirus cases in the area and fears the event could be a COVID-19 "super-spreader," many attendees chose to forgo masks and social distancing while in line, where people waited on lawn chairs and with tents.“

On this Juneteenth, the nation wrestles with its past and present

—-

Okla. Supreme Court hearing case requiring COVID-19 measures at Trump rally

“The Oklahoma Supreme Court is expected to hear a case today arguing the president's Tulsa campaign rally scheduled for Saturday should be required to follow COVID-19 prevention measures.”

[...]

The suit notes an "alarming uptick in COVID-19 infections in Tulsa County," and seeks to "protect against a substantial, imminent, and deadly risk to the community."

On Monday, Tulsa County reported an increase rate of COVID-19 cases of more than 16% — its highest rate of new cases since the pandemic started, according to the court filing.

Having an indoor rally under those conditions would constitute a "super-spreader" event in downtown Tulsa, according to the filing.“

[...]

“"This case is not about the president," they wrote. "If ASM Global planned to host an event for Joe Biden, the Oklahoma City Thunder, or Garth Brooks, without following required social distancing protocols, plaintiffs would file the same action seeking the same relief."

They noted ASM Global has cancelled all other mass-gatherings at BOK Center until the end of July.“

[...]

“"Simply put, this Court should order ASM Global to follow the same rules that any other individual or business desiring to host a mass-gathering indoor event in Tulsa County would be required to follow," the attorneys stated in their filing.“

[...]

“Brewster's office said it remains unclear what time the motion will be heard before the court today.“

___

'Biological bomb' ready to blow: Trump defies medical experts pushing MAGA rally as virus cases spike

—-

Conditions are ripe for a toxic Trump campaign rally in Tulsa

“That’s the setting for President Trump’s upcoming indoor rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma on Saturday, which comes after:

So here is the problem with the rally as I see it. If 20,000 want to risk their health and possibly their life to attend a political rally, go for it. However, those same people will not know they are infected for up to 14 days, going into the same grocery stores, hardware stores, garden nurseries as those of us who do not want to risk life/limb and have gone to much trouble to stay in as much as possible. It becomes a problem when the rally attendees risk the lives of others. And frankly, it pizzes me off. Selfishness to no end! And frankly, it makes voters like myself, who have been undecided, to swing the other way. Just saying.

So here is the problem with the rally as I see it. If 20,000 want to risk their health and possibly their life to attend a political rally, go for it. However, those same people will not know they are infected for up to 14 days, going into the same grocery stores, hardware stores, garden nurseries as those of us who do not want to risk life/limb and have gone to much trouble to stay in as much as possible. It becomes a problem when the rally attendees risk the lives of others. And frankly, it pizzes me off. Selfishness to no end! And frankly, it makes voters like myself, who have been undecided, to swing the other way. Just saying.

Exactly.

“This Supreme Court is now the only institution that stands between Tulsa and a biological bomb.”

Legal challenge seeking to enforce CDC guidelines at Trump rally sent to state Supreme Court

Last edited:
That’s the part that is missing from most articles. If he never left the home - what is a doctors best guess on how he obtained it?

An Amazon package?
Plastic bag from food delivery?
Cardboard cereal box from grocery store?
A family member?

We see these stories and the tragic endings - but what we don’t usually get is how it possibly happened in a household. Maybe some piece of information that could help another family in prevention. JMO

That’s the part that is missing from most articles. If he never left the home - what is a doctors best guess on how he obtained it?

An Amazon package?
A family member?

We see these stories and the tragic endings - but what we don’t usually get is how it possibly happened in a household. Maybe some piece of information that could help another family in prevention. JMO

it'll be something obvious
people deny exposure but there's always an exception if they're honest

An Amazon package?
A family member?

There were other family members who also tested positive. This is a very sad and tragic story, but it has a little thread of something disturbing. The mom, who worked in a nursing home, didn't get tested for Covid, because if she tested positive, she wouldn't be able to visit her sick son.

My heart aches for those who had loved ones in hospital with whom they couldn't visit. I'm sure there was a better way to manage that, although how, I don't know. But being allowed entry to the hospital after refusing to take a Covid test is a problem too. How would it be possible to do any contact tracing? What about tracing back to the nursing home?

It's very sad.

China publishes Beijing coronavirus genome data, officials suggest a European strain

China publishes Beijing coronavirus genome data, officials suggest a European strain

By Roxanne Liu and Ryan Woo
5 hrs ago
BEIJING, June 19 (Reuters) - China has released genome sequencing data for the coronavirus responsible for a recent outbreak in Beijing, with officials saying on Friday it identified a European strain based on preliminary studies.

China, which had been under pressure to make the data public sooner rather than later as COVID-19 cases mount in the country's capital, said it had also submitted the data to the World Health Organization.
"According to preliminary genomic and epidemiological study results, the virus is from Europe, but it is different from the virus currently spreading in Europe," CDC official Zhang Yong was cited as saying in an article published on Friday by the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection on its website.

"It's older than the virus currently spreading in Europe."

An Amazon package?
A family member?

Exactly- there was a breach somewhere: one can only guess- maybe he did leave the house and she didn't know it: maybe on a couple occasions she didn't shower or use strict precautions- none of us know and we never will, but somewhere there had to be a breach: You are right, these articles just don't give full information. It would helpful for the article to go into some depth as to how this young man contracted this fatal disease. That would mean of course the reporter would have to do some digging, which most of them don't do.

Well, one thing we can count on:

If the Supreme Court allows this event to go on, and doesn’t require the implementation of CDC Guidelines, there’s one group that won’t be protesting, those that choose to stay home.

So we may be the last group of non protestors left on the planet lol.

Coronavirus pandemic accelerating with Americas worst, warns WHO

Coronavirus pandemic accelerating with Americas worst, warns WHO

By Stephanie Nebehay and Michael Shields
2 hrs ago
GENEVA (Reuters) - The coronavirus pandemic is accelerating, with Thursday's 150,000 new cases the highest in a single day and nearly half of them in the Americas, the World Health Organization (WHO) said.

"The world is in a new and dangerous phase," Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual briefing from WHO headquarters in Geneva. "The virus is still spreading fast, it is still deadly, and most people are still susceptible."

More than 8.53 million people have been reported infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 453,834 have died, a Reuters tally showed as of 1326 GMT on Friday.

@10ofRods I get irrationally angry at these people that go the wrong way in Walmart. I've got no clue why. Totally middle of the road with me, I use a mask and hand sanitizer. Hand washing. That's it. But these people bearing down on me just drive me nuts. Jmo

Thanks for the laugh! You are expecting people at Walmart to understand abstract concepts? The cognitive process and functioning...really! Look, these folks are doing well to get to the store.

BTW, I am a "Walmart Shopper".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member