Found Deceased PA - Linda Stoltzfoos, 18, Bird-in-Hand, Lancaster County, 21 June 2020 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://nypost.com/2020/06/24/searc...stoltzfoos-who-vanished-after-church-service/

SABBM:

A search is underway Wednesday for a missing Amish woman who disappeared after attending a church service in Pennsylvania, police said.

“Trained search personnel are utilizing dogs, horses, ATV equipment and drones to supplement the expanding search area,” police said in a statement. “Detectives are actively following up all leads and interviewing family members and friends for information.”

Investigators are “still attempting to figure out what may have happened” to Stoltzfoos, while not ruling out foul play, Lt. Matthew Hess told LancasterOnline.com.

“We are investigating all angles of this incident,” Hess told the outlet.

“There is no reason for us to believe that she wanted to just leave,” Hess told NBC News.

Based on the descriptions of her, coupled with LE's statement that there's no reason for them to believe that she wanted to leave, I think it's pretty safe to conclude that she not voluntarily missing.

Leaving that off the table, here are the remaining possibilities:
  • Medical Emergency/Incapacitation
  • Accident/Misadventure
  • Stranger Abduction
  • Foul Play by Person(s) Known to LS
  • Self-Harm
Can anyone think of any other potential scenarios?

JMO.

Last edited:
BIRD IN HAND, Pa. —

UPDATE: The East Lampeter Township Police Department is asking the FBI and Pennsylvania State Police for help and additional resources in the search for a missing Amish woman.

POLICE LOOKING FOR MISSING 18-year-old last seen in Bird in Hand

The FBI and Pennsylvania State Police have been called to help in the search for Linda Stoltzfoos, who hasn't been seen since Sunday.

I think it would be a mistake to rule out a voluntarily missing scenario.
Isn't the youth group something of a date-night in their culture? That's what struck me as odd when the parents didn't raise alarm until the next day. Was there a suitor, welcomed or otherwise?

“She was a sweet quiet girl who would never put herself in a troublesome situation,” one family friend said. “We are shocked—her even leaving without informing anybody where she was going is out of character. This is all out of character.”

On Wednesday, the FBI joined the search, allowing authorities to use “more tools” in addition to dogs, horses, ATV equipment, and drones. East Lampeter Township detectives are interviewing family members and friends for further information about Stoltzfoos.

While foul play has not been ruled out, police are “still attempting to figure out what may have happened” and are investigating “all angles” of the incident,” East Lampeter Township police said.

“There is no reason for us to believe that she wanted to just leave,” a spokesperson said. “She did not indicate to anyone that she wanted to leave or take a trip. From what we understand, just running off without telling anyone would be very out of character for Linda.”

Missing Amish Teen Went to Church on Sunday—and Never Came Home

I think it would be a mistake to rule out a voluntarily missing scenario.
Isn't the youth group something of a date-night in their culture? That's what struck me as odd when the parents didn't raise alarm until the next day. Was there a suitor, welcomed or otherwise?

There would be absolutely no reason for her to hide or not tell her parents she was going somewhere she is at the age where it is encouraged for her to explore the English world and make sure she wants to be baptized Amish. She would not be judged for that, it's a long running Amish tradition, and over 90% of the kids chose to be baptized Amish after their Rumspringa time ends.
The Amish also do not come to authorities until after they exhausted all of their resources, so raising the alarm the next day is VERY quick. They can't check her social media, they can't GPS track a phone, there is no quick way to make a post on Facebook and have everyone she knows seeing it. They quite literally have to travel around/call and hope someone answers and it passes around that way. After they confirmed she wasn't at an event or with someone authorities would have been contacted.
Voluntarily missing in my opinion has about a .00001% chance of being the reason. I wish I could say more but rumors are not allowed here for a VERY good reason.

Following.
What an odd case.
My first guess is that she left voluntarily to flee her culture and expectations.
Maybe there was a suitor, and she wanted to get away ?
Which would mean she's safe, just hiding.
Imo.
BBM:

Normally, that would be my first thought, too, given her age.

The descriptions of her personality really don't seem to jibe with her having voluntarily taken off, though.
It sounds like it would be completely out of character for her.

Which is really unfortunate, because that would definitely be the best-case scenario.

JMO.

Back to the Facebook post that I shared that was deleted. Police are looking for any suspicious activity, including suspicious vehicles...
Sounds more probable of a potential abduction IMO
from your link - they are asking for help- from the FBI
UPDATE: The East Lampeter Township Police Department is asking the FBI and Pennsylvania State Police for help and additional resources in the search for a missing Amish woman.

Linda Stoltzfoos, 18, was last seen on Sunday at church. She never returned to her home on Beechdale Road. Police say she could be at risk for harm or injury.

Does anyone local know how tall the crops are? Also, I think I have an address for Linda's house. Am I allowed to post that or just a general area? I found it on the Bird-In-Hand Pa. online phone book so IMO it is accurate.

Good afternoon WSers. Just found this thread and caught up. The FBI being asked to come in throws this in a different direction doesn’t it?

I just do not at all think this is a case of voluntarily missing - pure gut check on that, nothing based in fact. I’d like to know this:

Church services took place, and depending on COVID, there may or may not have been a lunch following. If Linda made bars for her (evening) youth group, were no family back at the home say after a presumed lunch and before she would have left home again for the evening youth group?

what I’m trying to ask is wouldn’t anyone have found it odd they didn’t see Linda at the family home between church services and youth group?
Praying for Linda’s safe return home

Keeping open minded. Not sure if anyone remembers this case of 2 amish sisters kidnapped:

New York couple sentenced for kidnapping Amish sisters - CNN
Yes I sure do remember that. I wasn't able to follow it very much when it was going on though because I was actually on vacation in Pa. Amish country. I'm pretty sure I have been on the same road Linda lives on because it is near the bakery I went to according to the map I was looking at.

Knowing I have driven those same roads and knowing that the roads and fields seem to go on forever and then looking at the map of the area that they are searching just feels like a nightmare for searchers.

so many nooks & crannies. Sooooo much land to cover. Without pings & cctv, it truly is like a needle in a haystack.

Just want to comment on the "voluntarily missing" angle. Others have done a terrific job of describing rumspringa. I just want to add that while the majority of young Amish may decide to become baptized and remain in the Amish community, there are those that do choose to leave it behind. It is NOT their way to call the police when that happens. They do not report a missing or runaway child. They work through their own channels, if at all.

Just want to comment on the "voluntarily missing" angle. Others have done a terrific job of describing rumspringa. I just want to add that while the majority of young Amish may decide to become baptized and remain in the Amish community, there are those that do choose to leave it behind. It is NOT their way to call the police when that happens. They do not report a missing or runaway child. They work through their own channels, if at all.
Agreed, there is no way the search would be this big or the FBI would be involved if it was Rumspringa. There is more to the story then is being shared I’m sure. They are probably on to something but can’t release info to the public yet.

Does anyone local know how tall the crops are? Also, I think I have an address for Linda's house. Am I allowed to post that or just a general area? I found it on the Bird-In-Hand Pa. online phone book so IMO it is accurate.

Depends what the crop is, but the tall crops like corn, not very high yet the saying is Knee high by the fourth of July and its about on target for that where I am which is about 20-30 mins from Lancaster. So it's probably mid calf at the moment. HOWEVER with hormones, etc. it varies.

The only possible semi-voluntary situation I can imagine is if she were groomed like a younger child based on her (possible) naïveté. She leaves with someone and finds herself in a situation she couldn't have imagined. Personally I am hoping for this as it could mean that she's alive but unable to contact family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa