Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #62

Status
Not open for further replies.
crazy how much of a set back victoria australia has had
i think we are heading back into lockdown
30~ infections per day atm, those numbers not seen here since early april

The whole country is behind you. I think Victoria will get a grip on this relatively soon.

Mr Andrews said the testing blitz would target suburbs where there was a "community transmission challenge".
"We have ambulances and other vans that will literally be at the end of people's streets," he said.
"So, they will be invited to come and get a test, and they'll only have to travel 50 metres or 100m in order to complete that test."
The Premier said a team of 800 health workers would aim to reach 10,000 people a day in those 10 suburbs.
"That is about 100,000 tests," Mr Andrews said.

Mr Andrews said the premiers of New South Wales, Tasmania, South Australia and Queensland had agreed to lend Victoria some of their lab capacity in order to process the extra swabs.
The Premier said the massive boost to testing capacity was unprecedented.
"This suburban testing blitz is all about finding all of those people who have this virus, then having them quarantined in their home, with appropriate support, it's about bringing further stability to these numbers," he said.

Victorian coronavirus cases rise by 33, testing blitz to target 10 hotspot suburbs

There's obviously a weekly cycle of reporting deaths. It's easier to see here:

View attachment 252450

United States Coronavirus: 2,424,493 Cases and 123,476 Deaths - Worldometer

Taking 2 individual days for comparison is statistically misleading. Otherwise I could just take Sunday's total of 267, compare it yesterday's 863 and claim deaths have increased by over 300% in the last 3 days.

I have no idea what the blue tick is for on his twitter profile, but if he's supposed to be a journalist he should be ashamed of himself.

But that's my guess as to why it's not getting more MSM coverage (it's not true).
He was comparing April 21st to June 20th. that is not a 2 day comparison.

He was comparing the nations highest one day death total, 2,693 on April 21st, to our recent Total of 267. That is a comparison of 2 months span of time, not 2 days.

...the 2 day thing was just him noting that the low total stayed for two days in a row. He wasn't comparing those two days with each other.

Washington State: Starting Friday, June 26, masks will be mandatory in public, indoors and out when it’s impossible to maintain 6 feet of physical distance from others:

Inslee said that any style of face covering is acceptable.

"Any covering that will cover the nose and mouth will do in this case," he said at a press conference on Tuesday. "What you choose is your choice. We're just appreciative if everyone could think of this as the new part of etiquette in our state."

Inslee said the masks were necessary to mandate because coronavirus has continued to spread as the state reopens.

While Inslee cited the outbreak in Yakima County, which has run out of hospital beds for COVID-19 patients, he said that the spread of coronavirus continues throughout all parts of Washington state.

Exceptions to the mask rule include those who have health issues impacted by face coverings, those who are deaf or hard of hearing and children under the age of 5, and when it's impractical, such as when eating in public. Children aged 2 or under should not wear a face mask.
Washington state requires face masks in public starting Friday

My county, Jefferson, plans to move to Phase 3 on June 29, congintent upon one more meeting to go over any final recommendations before sending it to the State.
https://www.co.jefferson.wa.us/DocumentCenter/View/9995/Community-Situation-Report-6-22-20?bidId=

Shutting the stable door comes to mind. Washington state had the very first case reported in the USA by WHO six months ago.

The whole country is behind you. I think Victoria will get a grip on this relatively soon.

Mr Andrews said the testing blitz would target suburbs where there was a "community transmission challenge".
"We have ambulances and other vans that will literally be at the end of people's streets," he said.
"So, they will be invited to come and get a test, and they'll only have to travel 50 metres or 100m in order to complete that test."
The Premier said a team of 800 health workers would aim to reach 10,000 people a day in those 10 suburbs.
"That is about 100,000 tests," Mr Andrews said.

Mr Andrews said the premiers of New South Wales, Tasmania, South Australia and Queensland had agreed to lend Victoria some of their lab capacity in order to process the extra swabs.
The Premier said the massive boost to testing capacity was unprecedented.
"This suburban testing blitz is all about finding all of those people who have this virus, then having them quarantined in their home, with appropriate support, it's about bringing further stability to these numbers," he said.

Victorian coronavirus cases rise by 33, testing blitz to target 10 hotspot suburbs
Could you explain your hotel quarantine system? Is that for people from abroad or from other territories?

Could you explain your hotel quarantine system? Is that for people from abroad or from other territories?

The hotel quarantine is for people coming home from overseas. 14-days in a hotel. A specifically designated hotel.
(Having said that, my son in law caught the last plane out of New Zealand back in March, and was allowed to 14-day-quarantine at home in isolation. With police coming by every now and then to make sure he was there. But I guess NZ is considered a safe zone.)

So far, the state govts are paying for the hotel rooms. If a person is from a certain state (say, South Australia) then when they are quarantining in Victoria or NSW - having just landed - the South Australian govt pays for their room.

Last edited:
Calling in the army after the first death in a month (in his 80's)? Strikes me as totally unsustainable. The more I look at the "success stories," the less "successful" they look.
We have the Army here in Wales helping out driving ambulances. It seems to be normal in an emergency like this pandemic. With Covid they have to clean down the ambulance and change in between trips so everything takes twice as long, so they need more teams.

Here's a link before someone asks.

Soldiers take the wheel at Welsh Ambulance Service

He was comparing April 21st to June 20th. that is not a 2 day comparison.

He was comparing the nations highest one day death total, 2,693 on April 21st, to our recent Total of 267. That is a comparison of 2 months span of time, not 2 days.

...the 2 day thing was just him noting that the low total stayed for two days in a row. He wasn't comparing those two days with each other.
Sorry, but it is a 2 day comparison, April 21st and June 20th are 2 days.

It specifically ignores the 2 months worth of data in between to give a dishonest impression. Another poster has also tried explaining, hopefully this may make more sense if you missed it.

The problem with this is they've used the highest of high days against the lowest of low days.

If we compare with the other way round, using similar dates:

On April 26th 1,158 people died of the coronavirus. Yesterday 863 died.

A drop of about 20% in the same time frame. Neither my statement, nor the one you quoted, is accurate because the numbers have been picked to reflect best/worst scenarios. The average weekly number IS dropping but certainly not that fast, therefore it wasn't widely reported because it is not true.

I'm a product of this advice handed down by Grandmoms and Great-grandmoms that taught us to dab mucus membranes inside the nostrils with salt water every cold and flu season. I'd say our effective rate to not pass on a virus to family members was more than double the published rate. Mom always knows best!

Could SALT WATER fight Covid-19? Sottish scientists begin gargling trial | Daily Mail Online

June 25, 2020

Professor Aziz Sheikh, director of Edinburgh University’s Usher Institute, said: 'We are now moving to trial our salt water intervention in those with suspected or confirmed Covid-19, and hope it will prove to be a useful measure to reduce the impact and spread of the infection.

HOW COULD GARGLING SALT WATER TREAT THE CORONAVIRUS?
Researchers at Edinburgh University trialled saltwater gargling and 'nasal irrigation' in a trial on people with upper respiratory tract infections, otherwise known as coughs and colds, and found it reduced their symptoms and the length of their illness.

Their study, published in the journal Scientific Reports last year, found 93 per cent of people said gargling reduced their symptoms, their illnesses lasted two days less, on average, and they were 35 per cent less likely to pass it on to a family member.

Scientists hope the cheap, simple therapy could have similar benefits for people with the coronavirus, reducing the severity of their cough and preventing the illness from worsening.

Explaining how the salt could achieve this effect, the study said direct contact with salt may have a toxic effect on the viruses themselves and damage or kill them.

It may also stimulate 'innate immune mechanisms' inside cells in the airways, they suggested, effectively boosting the body's own ability to fight off infection.

Salt may also be soaked up and used by the body's cells to create a chemical called hypochlorous acid which is found in bleach and known to kill viruses, the researchers said.

Long-term COVID warning: ICU doctor reports having coronavirus symptoms for three months

An intensive care doctor is warning people of the frightening effects of "long-term COVID" ahead of lockdown lifting - as he is still suffering symptoms three months on.

Dr Jake Suett, 31, was helping Britain tackle coronavirus for only a week before he developed symptoms on 20 March.

The ICU doctor, who works for the NHS in Norfolk, had no underlying health conditions and went to the gym four or five times a week.

But what first appeared to be tiredness and a sore throat soon turned into a fever, dry cough and shortness of breath.

Twelve weeks on, he is still suffering chest pain, breathlessness, blurred vision, memory loss, a high temperature, concentration problems - and is unable to work.

He told Sky News: "I still get out of breath doing the washing up or walking around the house.

"I spent three days just gasping for breath in bed, I really thought I was going to die, it was very distressing.

"Things have improved since then, but not much and only very, very slowly. I've had gastrointestinal symptoms and shooting pains in my hands and feet too."

More details at link.

Nurses at Brigham and Women’s say they’re being forced into unsafe, cramped shuttles on their way to work

Massachusetts more at link
BOSTON (WHDH) - Healthcare workers at Brigham and Women’s Hospital say they are fed up with being jammed onto crowded shuttles sitting shoulder to shoulder for rides lasting up to 20 minutes. They say it is unsafe in these uncertain times.

The nurses say they have brought these complaints to management several times but that they refuse to implement the 50 percent capacity that the nurses are asking for.”I am not going to put myself at risk, and out of principle, I am not getting on that shuttle.

Sorry, but it is a 2 day comparison, April 21st and June 20th are 2 days.

It specifically ignores the 2 months worth of data in between to give a dishonest impression. Another poster has also tried explaining, hopefully this may make more sense if you missed it.
I don't think this is about making sense but is media making a point, which is normal to do because, for example, when we recently had only 38 deaths (15 June), media made a big point of saying it was the lowest since UK lockdown began on 23 March. Which it was. I think the point of the US article was similar. (Unless I missed the point of the article). Normally media makes a big thing of this, like the next big thing will be when we both have zero daily deaths. I am basing this on reporting of Italy and Spain daily deaths also. And this is MOO.

US records highest one-day total in coronavirus cases since April

US records highest one-day total in coronavirus cases since April

Amanda Holpuch in New York, Maanvi Singh in Oakland and agencies

2 hrs ago
The US has recorded a one-day total of 34,700 new COVID-19 cases, the highest level since late April, when the number peaked at 36,400, according to the count kept by Johns Hopkins University.

A coronavirus resurgence is wiping out two months of progress in the US and sending infections to dire new levels in southern and western states.

Administrators and health experts warned on Wednesday that politicians and a public that, in many cases, is tired of being cooped up are letting a disaster unfold.

Related: Texas COVID-19 cases hit all-time daily high as Houston hospitals near capacity

While newly-confirmed infections have been declining steadily in early hot spots such as New York and New Jersey, several other states set single-day records this week, including Arizona, California, Mississippi, Nevada, Texas and Oklahoma.
So is this inaccurate also, for media to pick a one day total and compare it to the highest ever previously or is it just stating the obvious? Was it because more tests were done or is it really wiping out two months of progress and cases are rising?

I'm a product of this advice handed down by Grandmoms and Great-grandmoms that taught us to dab mucus membranes inside the nostrils with salt water every cold and flu season. I'd say our effective rate to not pass on a virus to family members was more than double the published rate. Mom always knows best!

Could SALT WATER fight Covid-19? Sottish scientists begin gargling trial | Daily Mail Online

June 25, 2020

Professor Aziz Sheikh, director of Edinburgh University’s Usher Institute, said: 'We are now moving to trial our salt water intervention in those with suspected or confirmed Covid-19, and hope it will prove to be a useful measure to reduce the impact and spread of the infection.

HOW COULD GARGLING SALT WATER TREAT THE CORONAVIRUS?
Researchers at Edinburgh University trialled saltwater gargling and 'nasal irrigation' in a trial on people with upper respiratory tract infections, otherwise known as coughs and colds, and found it reduced their symptoms and the length of their illness.

Their study, published in the journal Scientific Reports last year, found 93 per cent of people said gargling reduced their symptoms, their illnesses lasted two days less, on average, and they were 35 per cent less likely to pass it on to a family member.

Scientists hope the cheap, simple therapy could have similar benefits for people with the coronavirus, reducing the severity of their cough and preventing the illness from worsening.

Explaining how the salt could achieve this effect, the study said direct contact with salt may have a toxic effect on the viruses themselves and damage or kill them.

It may also stimulate 'innate immune mechanisms' inside cells in the airways, they suggested, effectively boosting the body's own ability to fight off infection.

Salt may also be soaked up and used by the body's cells to create a chemical called hypochlorous acid which is found in bleach and known to kill viruses, the researchers said.
I am going to get a nasal spray for use too. But this sounds like good advice.

... Governor Cuomo is one of the few who waited until the time was right. Hopefully they can keep it under control there. I am going to use them and a couple of other improved states as my guide going forward.

What worked for our area is that the governors of NY, NJ and CT (and even parts of eastern PA and Delaware) agreed together to control Covid by implementing the same restrictions. Back in mid-March they required that masks be worn at all times, and still do to this day, they also closed restaurants, bars, playgrounds, beaches, hiking trails - anywhere people would congregate - even if wearing a mask.

A governor cannot leave the decision up to each city or county, if they do, there is no way to contain the virus, people will cross borders.

These states with rapid increase need to be shut down entirely, otherwise the virus will just continue to spread.

Last edited:
All the media outlets are reporting this.

Anti lockdown party in Brixton, many police hurt.

Violence at street party in Brixton leaves more than 20 police injured

More than 20 police officers were injured in south London overnight after attempts to break up a street party triggered violent clashes, which have been widely condemned.

Videos of the incident shared on social media showed police vehicles being smashed and officers chased during skirmishes with a large crowd near the Angell Town estate in Brixton.

The Metropolitan police said 22 officers were injured, including two who required hospital treatment. Some police vehicles were damaged.

One clip showed bottles being thrown at officers as they were chased from the area, while in another a partygoer could be seen bleeding from the face.

Police were called to the scene on Wednesday night after reports of a “large unlicensed music event” in Cecilia Road. When police tried to encourage the crowd to leave, a group became hostile towards officers, the Met said.

The home secretary, Priti Patel, described the clashes as “utterly vile scenes” and said she would be speaking to the Met police commissioner, Dame Cressida Dick.

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, tweeted that “violence against the police will not be tolerated”. He added: “Large gatherings during #COVID19 are deeply irresponsible and risk others’ lives.”

Four people are in custody after arrests were made for assault and public order offences.

Police commander Colin Wingrove said: “Our role is to protect the public and ensure guidelines are adhered to in order to prevent the spread of Covid-19, protecting the NHS and save lives.

“Our officers work incredibly hard to engage and explain the public health message and regulations to prevent such gatherings occurring. Last night we received numerous concerns from residents complaining about a large gathering, noise, anti-social behaviour and violence and officers responded to those concerns.

“These gatherings are unlawful, as well as posing a risk to public health and against coronavirus restrictions. The violence shown towards officers is totally unacceptable and we will not tolerate it in any form.”

This is a live Guardian link.

UK politics live: more than 20 police officers injured at illegal music event in Brixton

1h ago 10:22

It’s not just Brixton where there were large gatherings last night after the hottest day of the year so far.

There were reports on hundreds of young people congregating on the seafront in Hove, East Sussex, where police were called after “pockets” of violence broke out.

One witness said the teenagers should have finished their GCSEs and had their prom on Wednesday if it wasn’t for the coronavirus lockdown.

Jo Shiner(@T_CCJoShiner)
Shocking behaviour impacting upon everyone trying to be responsible in challenging times. @sussex_police will take positive action but I would urge young people to think about their behaviour. A criminal record will not help you get a job in the future. Well done @BtonHovePolicehttps://t.co/kNISAgILiV

June 25, 2020
Large groups were also pictured gathering in the Yorkshire spa town of Harrogate in breach of the coronavirus regulations.

roger hattam(@rogerhattam)
Ok. Night after night we have unofficial #harrogate #COVID festival with apparently no interest from @NYorksPolice nor @Harrogatebc nor media ? @thestrayferret@yorkshirepost @Harrogate_News@HgateAdvertiserpic.twitter.com/dsdtrQwBX8

June 24, 2020
There was also trouble on Exmouth beachin Devon, where hundreds of people gathered before police were called to a “large group of people fighting”.

And this was the scene at the Meadows park in Edinburgh on Wednesday night. One residents said the park looked “like a nightclub” as youngsters gathered to enjoy the warm weather. The crime writer Ian Rankin photographed the rubbish left behind this morning.

Ms Marchmont(@lucynorris1)
I thought I was used to seeing the Meadows busy on a summer evening, but it’s like a big nightclub tonight! pic.twitter.com/jtBuB00DAM

June 24, 2020

Oh dear.

Best laid plans of mice and men......

There was maybe 10 people on my normally empty beach yesterday at 8 pm. A couple fishing, a family surfing and another couple with dogs. Normally empty as it is only accessable on foot.

Last edited:
All the media outlets are reporting this.

Anti lockdown party in Brixton, many police hurt.

Violence at street party in Brixton leaves more than 20 police injured

More than 20 police officers were injured in south London overnight after attempts to break up a street party triggered violent clashes, which have been widely condemned.

Videos of the incident shared on social media showed police vehicles being smashed and officers chased during skirmishes with a large crowd near the Angell Town estate in Brixton.

The Metropolitan police said 22 officers were injured, including two who required hospital treatment. Some police vehicles were damaged.

One clip showed bottles being thrown at officers as they were chased from the area, while in another a partygoer could be seen bleeding from the face.

Police were called to the scene on Wednesday night after reports of a “large unlicensed music event” in Cecilia Road. When police tried to encourage the crowd to leave, a group became hostile towards officers, the Met said.

The home secretary, Priti Patel, described the clashes as “utterly vile scenes” and said she would be speaking to the Met police commissioner, Dame Cressida Dick.

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, tweeted that “violence against the police will not be tolerated”. He added: “Large gatherings during #COVID19 are deeply irresponsible and risk others’ lives.”

Four people are in custody after arrests were made for assault and public order offences.

Police commander Colin Wingrove said: “Our role is to protect the public and ensure guidelines are adhered to in order to prevent the spread of Covid-19, protecting the NHS and save lives.

“Our officers work incredibly hard to engage and explain the public health message and regulations to prevent such gatherings occurring. Last night we received numerous concerns from residents complaining about a large gathering, noise, anti-social behaviour and violence and officers responded to those concerns.

“These gatherings are unlawful, as well as posing a risk to public health and against coronavirus restrictions. The violence shown towards officers is totally unacceptable and we will not tolerate it in any form.”

This is a live Guardian link.

UK politics live: more than 20 police officers injured at illegal music event in Brixton

1h ago 10:22

It’s not just Brixton where there were large gatherings last night after the hottest day of the year so far.

There were reports on hundreds of young people congregating on the seafront in Hove, East Sussex, where police were called after “pockets” of violence broke out.

One witness said the teenagers should have finished their GCSEs and had their prom on Wednesday if it wasn’t for the coronavirus lockdown.

Jo Shiner(@T_CCJoShiner)
Shocking behaviour impacting upon everyone trying to be responsible in challenging times. @sussex_police will take positive action but I would urge young people to think about their behaviour. A criminal record will not help you get a job in the future. Well done @BtonHovePolicehttps://t.co/kNISAgILiV

June 25, 2020
Large groups were also pictured gathering in the Yorkshire spa town of Harrogate in breach of the coronavirus regulations.

roger hattam(@rogerhattam)
Ok. Night after night we have unofficial #harrogate #COVID festival with apparently no interest from @NYorksPolice nor @Harrogatebc nor media ? @thestrayferret@yorkshirepost @Harrogate_News@HgateAdvertiserpic.twitter.com/dsdtrQwBX8

June 24, 2020
There was also trouble on Exmouth beachin Devon, where hundreds of people gathered before police were called to a “large group of people fighting”.

And this was the scene at the Meadows park in Edinburgh on Wednesday night. One residents said the park looked “like a nightclub” as youngsters gathered to enjoy the warm weather. The crime writer Ian Rankin photographed the rubbish left behind this morning.

Ms Marchmont(@lucynorris1)
I thought I was used to seeing the Meadows busy on a summer evening, but it’s like a big nightclub tonight! pic.twitter.com/jtBuB00DAM

June 24, 2020
:eek:

Did any of them think, even for a second, that they could be responsible for spreading Covid?! :mad:

New data hub shows up-to-date breakdown of Covid-19 cases by county

Ireland

A NEW INTERACTIVE Covid-19 data hub has been launched, bringing all available information on the spread of the virus together in Ireland into one place, including a breakdown and timeline of the virus spread by county.

The data hub uses information provided by the Health Protection Surveillance Centre and the HSE on total deaths and confirmed cases across the country.

It illustrates where the bulk of new cases have been confirmed, in counties like Dublin and Kildare, and those areas where the fewest number of cases have been recorded, in counties such as Kerry.

The hub, which is updated daily, also includes information on the number of people admitted to hospital, as well as the number of admissions to ICU as a result of the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592