Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #62

Status
Not open for further replies.
That mask exception for deaf and HOH is a bit different. We either use ASL or lip read. The problem with lip reading is everyone else's mouth is covered. Jmo

Of course! Not wearing a mask doesn’t help the deaf or HOH person at all for lip reading. How strange. As my mother used to say resignedly when something didn’t make sense “There must be a reason.” :rolleyes:

It's up to local leaders to promote the ways to
ameliorate the virus.
- Mandate mask wearing
- hope the population follows along
- implement social distancing
- encourage people to stay home
- start enforcing the social distancing in bars and restaurants. Fl. officials snatched the alcohol licenses of a couple college bars near UCF (Orlando).
Encourage your local leaders to get aggressive.
There is no way to get every single local leader to agree on anything. Mandating mask wearing has already faced court in Wisconsin, and the judge said theycould not be required. Now what?

Michigan designated some nursing homes as "hubs" where these patients are supposed to be taken. Right now Michigan is actually doing pretty well covid wise. There cases are not rising rapidly like in some other states. So I would say she did a good job.
"Whitmer's letter to the GOP lawmakers noted her administration's response included the creation of regional hubs for COVID nursing home patients with specialized staffing and infection control, as well as facility inspections, technical assistance to isolate and prevent the spread of infection and "prioritized" personal protective equipment for staff."
Whitmer won't cooperate with GOP inquiry on virus in nursing homes

Congress is investigating why 41% of COVID-19 deaths in Michigan were elderly citizens from long-term care homes. Whitmer needs to be transparent and provide Congress with the information they have requested if she has nothing to hide.

https://republicans-oversight.house...s/2020/06/Letter-to-MI-Gov-Whitmer-061520.pdf

Michigan designated some nursing homes as "hubs" where these patients are supposed to be taken. Right now Michigan is actually doing pretty well covid wise. There cases are not rising rapidly like in some other states. So I would say she did a good job.
"Whitmer's letter to the GOP lawmakers noted her administration's response included the creation of regional hubs for COVID nursing home patients with specialized staffing and infection control, as well as facility inspections, technical assistance to isolate and prevent the spread of infection and "prioritized" personal protective equipment for staff."
Whitmer won't cooperate with GOP inquiry on virus in nursing homes

Thanks for your thoughtful response: we live in Southeast Michigan: i believe Governor Whitmer has done, overall, a great job here in Michigan. But i have to tell you the conservative right calls her Hitler and other names because she really clamped down when the virus was beginning to really take off in Michigan. There has been a bit of an uptick in the past few days---- We stayed in Florida for a few months longer until Michigan got their cases under control.

I have to wonder.
Am I panicking without cause?
In San Diego, where I live, there have been 396 deaths attributed to COVID-19, in a population of 3.5 million.
That is a very low death rate.
Of course, all deaths matter.
But should 396 deaths shut down the businesses that make San Diego the city that it is?
I say no.
Two weeks ago I drove through downtown San Diego, I witnessed a city that was locked up and boarded up.
3.5 Million people locked down?
For less then 400 deaths?
I may be banned from websleuths for my opinion.
I've been severely warned.
For me. The Biggest threat that the United States, and each of us are facing, is politics.
I find that so unacceptable.

Thanks for your thoughtful response: we live in Southeast Michigan: i believe Governor Whitmer has done, overall, a great job here in Michigan. But i have to tell you the conservative right calls her Hitler and other names because she really clamped down when the virus was beginning to really take off in Michigan. There has been a bit of an uptick in the past few days---- We stayed in Florida for a few months longer until Michigan got their cases under control.
So Florida did a better job handling the virus than Michigan so you stayed there until things got better in Michigan?

I have to wonder.
In San Diego, where I live, there have been 396 deaths attributed to COVID-19, in a population of 3.5 million.
But should 396 deaths shut down the businesses that make San Diego the city that it is?
I say no.
Two weeks ago I drove through downtown San Diego, I witnessed a city that was locked up and boarded up.
For me. The Biggest threat that the United States, and each of us are facing, is politics.
Two words: exponential growth.

I have to wonder.
I say no.

The problem is that the data for Covid deaths, is incomplete. And inconsistent.

In Florida, for example, a "Covid Related Death" has to meet a very narrow criteria.
1. Died in a hospital.
2. Tested positive for Covid-19

So, who is not counted? People who died at a nursing home, or anywhere else. And they are not testing for Covid-19 postmortem.

Those are not included in the data. And we have not been able to find what the "excess death" data set is, to compare these numbers with deaths reported last year.

We don't know if it has been less than 400 deaths. But, I suspect that there is a lot more to this than we are being told.

Shutting down, peeking out and then shutting down again isn't "success." It's denial of the fact that this thing may be with us forever and we will need to learn to live with it. How long can they keep sending out the army after every death or new case? How far will their society fall if the rest of the industrialized world moves forward with coping rather than hiding?

I guess you don't know how well we have been doing. How relatively happy we are.
No masks yet ... ever. No holing up at home either. The initial lockdown just meant we couldn't travel very far (20km range).
There is not one day that I have not - allowably - been out to work, for a walk on the beach, for a walk through a national park, to grab a bite to eat .... since this whole thing started.
I just haven't spoken of this before because so much of the world is hurting.

In addition, Australia's 'AAA' rating has just been extended.

Moody's said on Tuesday night that Australia's AAA stable credit rating reflected the economy's strengths and good governance, including health management, that will support the country's resilience in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

"In Moody's assessment, the resilience of the Australian economy supports a return to positive growth next year, without any significant long-lasting impact on growth potential once the crisis passes."

Nevertheless, Australia is one of only 10 countries to have a AAA rating from all three major rating agencies, joining the likes of Canada, Singapore, Germany and Norway.

Moody's affirms Australia's AAA credit rating

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members