Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
What leads you to believe it was tossed down a hill? I didn’t get that impression from what Barry said but then again, I’m very visual and have a hard time understanding how something looks by just hearing about it. So I could be off base.
There was confusion, you are correct, and we speculated over this. Even if BM did stage the bike, it’s unlikely he would have leaned it against tree, more likely he would have left it on the edge of the road, visible because he needed her to be found w/ in his alibi time frame. IMO
By same token an unknown person, accident or abductor, wouldn’t walk it down and lean it against tree. My speculation was that neither BM or BG would have propped it up.
It is likely that this was a SAR event, and the person who leaned it against tree, didn’t even consider it to be evidence, they were hopeful SM was close by. It would be easier to spot leaning on tree, than flat on ground.
IMO, It might have had fingerprints on it, so it should have been processed. It’s also possible that whoever did this wore gloves.
The possible reference to condition of bike makes me consider the ambush may have involved the vehicle.
IMO we batted this back and forth, we couldn’t conclude anything, have to wait on
LE.
I just don’t think BG w/ any initials would have leaned it against tree. and I guess I have to add, neither would the dang mountain lion.

Police and FBI wrap up search at property where missing mom Suzanne Morphew's husband worked | Daily Mail Online
can you tell what kind of bike this is? It may have been discussed already - I'm curious.
28619682-8352345-Suzanne_s_husband_Barry_Morphew_52_has_said_he_was_away_on_a_tra-a-7_1590328291811.jpg

Definitely a mountain bike. And a good one. You can tell it’s a mountain bike due to the tires and shocks.

BBM
Alternate theory; those close to the Morphews may be “publicity shy” because they are scared of BM. MOO
I have wondered this as well. I think it happens in a lot of cases where people dont come forward, just in case it turns out that person is innocent. A SM family member said BM controls everything, and my gut says hes controlling what little he can here too. I just hope the Sheriffs Dept has been provided with 100% honesty from all sides. Jmho.

There was confusion, you are correct, and we speculated over this. Even if BM did stage the bike, it’s unlikely he would have leaned it against tree, more likely he would have left it on the edge of the road, visible because he needed her to be found w/ in his alibi time frame. IMO
By same token an unknown person, accident or abductor, wouldn’t walk it down and lean it against tree. My speculation was that neither BM or BG would have propped it up.
It is likely that this was a SAR event, and the person who leaned it against tree, didn’t even consider it to be evidence, they were hopeful SM was close by. It would be easier to spot leaning on tree, than flat on ground.
IMO, It might have had fingerprints on it, so it should have been processed. It’s also possible that whoever did this wore gloves.
The possible reference to condition of bike makes me consider the ambush may have involved the vehicle.
IMO we batted this back and forth, we couldn’t conclude anything, have to wait on
LE.
I just don’t think BG w/ any initials would have leaned it against tree. and I guess I have to add, neither would the dang mountain lion.

That makes sense. The only thing I don’t agree with is that SAR would not think it was evidence and be likely to mishandle it. Because they’re trained and know what to do.

But it’s possible and I totally get your point about that being a stupid way to stage it and thus it was likely found tossed or whatever.

There may still be searches, and we just aren’t aware of them. One of their later press releases mentioned there had been 10 large-scale searches performed. We had no idea about most of those.

We also had no information about WHERE these searches were/are. Could be close to home, could be...hmmm...somewhat closer to a major city in CO? ;)

I have wondered this as well. I think it happens in a lot of cases where people dont come forward, just in case it turns out that person is innocent. A SM family member said BM controls everything, and my gut says hes controlling what little he can here too. I just hope the Sheriffs Dept has been provided with 100% honesty from all sides. Jmho.
Also, SM’s family could be estranged from on another. I grew up in a very tight-knit and loving family, but decades later, we are all estranged from a brother. It would be completely weird/awkward for me to insert myself in a case where he went missing. I don’t know a single thing about his life for the past 15 years, so I would have nothing to offer. It doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t care though.

Right. The timeline shows the reverse, IMO. After extensive searches for nine days, they got a search warrant for the family residence. Four days later (13 days after SM went missing), they excavated his work site.

Their language seemed to change. They’ve never issued anything indicating an unknown abductor took her.

Is it possible that a known abductor took her as at least one poster (@Feistyomi?) seems to believe, and they’re just not coming out with that info because they’re gathering their evidence against that person?

It’s possible. I guess it’s possible that nine days after the searches they obtained evidence of some other person having possibly stalked and/or harmed her.

However, there was enough in the first 9-13 days to obtain probable cause to search locations associated with the husband. And in absence of any evidence about a stalker,
I’m relying on the odds in these cases to guide my suspicions.

It has been my belief all along, that LE would not have focused only on BM, in the beginning. Nevertheless, they WOULD investigate him thoroughly, while ruling out ALL the possibilities. Because he could have hired the abductor. So they HAVE seemed to focused on BM. We’ve just not seen the other focus.
I realize I keep repeating myself, the only real case like this, that I have lived thru was Shari Fay Smith. My memories as Josephine B Public very eerily similar. It became obvious it WAS a kidnapping and her killer phoned the family. He lead them to believe they would get her back alive, after she was dead and buried.
We, the public knew she WAS missing, but we didn’t find out everything until her body was found. Yes there were differences, BG had to use pay phone and that info was publicly announced, ultimately that helped catch him. Be on the lookout, sure, but times have changed, burner phones, or there may be no indication from a kidnapper.
I can’t necessarily explain it, just eerily similar.
LGB, tried to claim insanity at his trial but he still got the DP.
He did appear to be unstable before he was apprehended, and maybe that’s the similarity I’m feeling here. LE did have to walk somewhat of a narrow line, especially when there was that hope Shari was still alive, that is what I’m sensing, LE as well as family and friends trying not to panic someone other than BM.
So I admit that I have had a bias from many threads ago. Once I started in that direction, tho, many of our puzzle pieces have fallen in place for me.
The biggest obstacle IS the slab work, however it is possible someone else was around the slab. most construction companies have long term employees, w/a few temporaries, for bigger jobs. This seems a stretch even to me, so I try not to push it. Possible, not likely, that WILL shock me.
I’m trying not to post as much, so this is lengthy....sorry.

IMO, LE controlling the narrative would make more sense, especially if CBI and FBI are involved. Although, If it WERE BM and the family distrusts him, we’d probably have lots of leaks, hmmmmm!
There is a disconnect here. Suzannes family said they were asked not to do interviews and made a point in saying that they are thankful for the immense work that LE is doing. BM has not had anything nice to say about LE nor did he let LE know that they were putting out a 26 second scripted plea for the return of his wife.

Problem: Four good traffic cameras en route IMO

Crested Butte and Gunnison Colorado Webcams
That's good to know, thanks for that Dave F ..... oooh, while I'm here pounding the keyboard, if SM was in Salida town on Friday do you know where the last camera would be before her home, per chance? Indebted to my/our learned sleuth .... if no idea, no worries :)

Mountain bike for sure. Disc brakes. Color, I'll call it teal, with square tube frame and blue detail at top of black front fork is consistent with some Trek women's mountain bikes. Looks like tires are Maxxis or some other maker that's 6 letters long. I like to bicycle ride, but I'm strictly a road cyclist. Any mountain bikers out there?

Me. But nothing too hardcore!

We also had no information about WHERE these searches were/are. Could be close to home, could be...hmmm...somewhat closer to a major city in CO? ;)

Or, could be in a completely opposite direction from a major city in CO.

BM has placed himself in Denver on Sunday, May 10. Denver is northeast of Salida.

I'm thinking SM may be somewhere southwest of Salida.

"Look over there. Not here."

JMO,

Spontaneous random thought .... as BM was going to Denver on the Sunday, Mothers Day, h'mm, could he have suggested "why don't we celebrate Mother's Day today (Saturday) because I'll be working tomorrow, I'll take you out hiking, we'll make a day of it .... go for a bit of a drive", and went on a trip where only one returned. Pure speculation and hypothetical in the extreme, of course. Mad random thought, and yet ...................
Edit to add: Oooh, just on p.2 reading posts, same idea speculated by Blue Amethyst - yes, the car ... maybe there is an unknown car, so LE would have a lot of CTV to get through to figure things out if that is the case, lot of work

IMO, LE controlling the narrative would make more sense, especially if CBI and FBI are involved. Although, If it WERE BM and the family distrusts him, we’d probably have lots of leaks, hmmmmm!
Feisty..I always seems to be negating your posts but I want to say I do enjoy reading all of your ideas and appreciate your perspective. In the end, I hope you are right.

Last edited:
Yes. I can only speak for myself; it also makes sense that some of the searchers would use bikes themselves. If at that time they suspected a crime, SM's bike wouldn't be mounted out and exposed like that if they wanted to preserve anything.

I think BLM expressed his opinion to TD that he felt LE destroyed evidence in their casual handling and moving of the bike. IMO

I think BLM expressed his opinion to TD that he felt LE destroyed evidence in their casual handling and moving of the bike. IMO

The concept, IMO, of LE handling the bike (& according to a certain person's story the last known activity of the missing person, who's bike that is...) in a 'casual' manner & thereby destroying evidence is preposterous

I'm of the opinion: quite the opposite occurred: they gathered evidence & it was pretty darn convincing considering the direction the case took within hours of the 911 reporting her missing...

They had evidence: evidence that contradicted the story of a woman gone missing on a bike ride

JMO

Spontaneous random thought .... as BM was going to Denver on the Sunday, Mothers Day, h'mm, could he have suggested "why don't we celebrate Mother's Day today (Saturday) because I'll be working tomorrow, I'll take you out hiking, we'll make a day of it .... go for a bit of a drive", and went on a trip where only one returned. Pure speculation and hypothetical in the extreme, of course. Mad random thought, and yet ...................
Edit to add: Oooh, just on p.2 reading posts, same idea speculated by Blue Amethyst - yes, the car ... maybe there is an unknown car, so LE would have a lot of CTV to get through to figure things out if that is the case, lot of work
bbm
Would LE be checking the vehicle rentals in the area ?
So a possible car that seemed out of place ?
This is an open and ongoing investigation so just about any and every movement of BM is or has been scrutinized.

LE haven't moved on from him, either.
To focus on another person might indicate that BM has been cleared and it doesn't look like this has happened.

So, no sidepiece or fellow conspirator ?
Plus as another valuable member put it ; (paraphrased by me) "BM seems like a guy who would prefer to work on his own."

Speculation : Did BM rent a car so as to not have any scent evidence in his or Suzanne's car/truck ?
It wouldn't be unheard of.
Imo.
Tee Stauch used rentals to cover her tracks.
It didn't go so well for her....

It has been my belief all along, that LE would not have focused only on BM, in the beginning. Nevertheless, they WOULD investigate him thoroughly, while ruling out ALL the possibilities. Because he could have hired the abductor. So they HAVE seemed to focused on BM. We’ve just not seen the other focus.
I realize I keep repeating myself, the only real case like this, that I have lived thru was Shari Fay Smith. My memories as Josephine B Public very eerily similar. It became obvious it WAS a kidnapping and her killer phoned the family. He lead them to believe they would get her back alive, after she was dead and buried.
We, the public knew she WAS missing, but we didn’t find out everything until her body was found. Yes there were differences, BG had to use pay phone and that info was publicly announced, ultimately that helped catch him. Be on the lookout, sure, but times have changed, burner phones, or there may be no indication from a kidnapper.
I can’t necessarily explain it, just eerily similar.
LGB, tried to claim insanity at his trial but he still got the DP.
He did appear to be unstable before he was apprehended, and maybe that’s the similarity I’m feeling here. LE did have to walk somewhat of a narrow line, especially when there was that hope Shari was still alive, that is what I’m sensing, LE as well as family and friends trying not to panic someone other than BM.
So I admit that I have had a bias from many threads ago. Once I started in that direction, tho, many of our puzzle pieces have fallen in place for me.
The biggest obstacle IS the slab work, however it is possible someone else was around the slab. most construction companies have long term employees, w/a few temporaries, for bigger jobs. This seems a stretch even to me, so I try not to push it. Possible, not likely, that WILL shock me.
I’m trying not to post as much, so this is lengthy....sorry.

No problem. I can’t always read every post and haven’t read solidly from the beginning so you’re probably repeating for me. I appreciate it. I understand where you’re coming from.

moo
One thing I learned about these investigations is that when a prosecutor in an area has little experience working on NO BODY murder cases,
FBI has a special unit that offers help to the prosecutors and investigators working the case.

I never prosecuted or defended a no-body case, but my belief is that they are indeed difficult to prosecute. The defense attorney has a built-in argument in such cases: Ladies & gentlemen, we don't even have a guarantee that the alleged victim is truly deceased!

Because the burden is on the government to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt, a ready-made argument for the defense is always a tough -- though not insurmountable -- hill for the state to climb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodfish