Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we need to have any fear of SM not having a group of longtime friends that she kept in contact with. I made a MSM media post very early about a group of SM's HS friends that were the first to start the yellow and teal-colored ribbons around her hometown that was recently copied in Salida by women unknown to SM.

I also recall that the woman that caused a melt down on social media and WS for erroneously claiming SM was killed in her basement and an arrest made -- she also cited attending a candlelight vigil with a large group of SM's HS friends shortly after she was first reported missing. Reportedly, both SM & BM never missed their class reunions and were thought of as the golden couple.
We have heard about friends back in IN but have we heard about any new ones she’s made in CO?

I agree. In a real abduction, I find it hard to think an abductor would take the time to remove her helmet at that point, so my concern would also be on that area in case a struggle happened there first. BM was confident that whatever happened it was where the bike was found. So assuming the item(s) were tossed after the bike was ditched, I am curious why the 200 mile radius search was west of the bike, when the item(s) were (according to BM in the video) found east of the bike. I personally would be just as sure that she, or more items, were not 200 miles east, as I was west of the bike. Thats just me, and of course, my opinion.
Reading this made me think of another possibility, something that can and does happen in cases of DV. What if there was an event at home, huge argument over “something.” SM grabs her car keys in an attempt to leave. BM overpowers her, hurts her and takes away her keys. Angry and afraid, SM finds an opportunity to get out of the house and begins running away from the home. BM discovers she’s left and goes after her with his truck, and he confronts her on the road. A scuffle ensues, something gets dropped, he forces her into the truck or somehow convinces her to get in of her own volition. She’s threatened assault charges against him. Seeing he cannot convince her of his remorse, and thinking she will in fact shame him publicly by having assault charges filed against him, WHAT CAN HE DO to prevent this??

At this point, he either drives her home and kills her, disposes of her and then plants the bike and begins the “bike ride” narrative, OR he takes her somewhere else. Early on in the case, a woman reported seeing someone who she said was yelling she’s being abducted. Why she didn’t report this immediately, is mind boggling. Could it have been BM “abducting” SM taking her to her likely place of death??

In my mind, this scenario would explain a few things. LE’s silence for one, especially regarding the item that was found 500 M from the home.

ALL MOO, JMHT and all that!

Reading this made me think of another possibility, something that can and does happen in cases of DV. What if there was an event at home, huge argument over “something.” SM grabs her car keys in an attempt to leave. BM overpowers her, hurts her and takes away her keys. Angry and afraid, SM finds an opportunity to get out of the house and begins running away from the home. BM discovers she’s left and goes after her with his truck, and he confronts her on the road. A scuffle ensues, something gets dropped, he forces her into the truck or somehow convinces her to get in of her own volition. She’s threatened assault charges against him. Seeing he cannot convince her of his remorse, and thinking she will in fact shame him publicly by having assault charges filed against him, WHAT CAN HE DO to prevent this??

At this point, he either drives her home and kills her, disposes of her and then plants the bike and begins the “bike ride” narrative, OR he takes her somewhere else. Early on in the case, a woman reported seeing someone who she said was yelling she’s being abducted. Why she didn’t report this immediately, is mind boggling. Could it have been BM “abducting” SM taking her to her likely place of death??

In my mind, this scenario would explain a few things. LE’s silence for one, especially regarding the item that was found 500 M from the home.

ALL MOO, JMHT and all that!
IIRC, The lady that reported this said it occurred at a Walmart parking lot? I’m pretty sure LE checked all the surrounding surveillance cameras. I’m thinking either it was unrelated to the case or it was a troll.

IIRC, The lady that reported this said it occurred at a Walmart parking lot? I’m pretty sure LE checked all the surrounding surveillance cameras. I’m thinking either it was unrelated to the case or it was a troll.
Thanks for clearing that up :). Everyone, disregard that part of the post.

Regardless, I still think the scenario is a “possibility” and may explain the item found a few days later close to the home.

Hypothetical-if you believe that the bike was staged, do you believe that the personal item/s were staged as well? And what came first-bike or item/s?
I think it’s a possibility that the item was inadvertently dropped while SM was in a scuffle with BM and he was unaware of it, therefore, NOT staged. The bike was staged after SM “disappeared.”

Last edited:
Why would a “stranger” feel the need to stage the bike? Unless, you feel, the stranger was not a stranger to BM.
I agree, not likely but would make some sense if abductor confronts SM on her bike and has a pick up truck. Grabs her, drives down the road and tosses bike to throw off authorities from the initial scene.

As a rule of thumb, I'd agree. They are the thin blue line that separates civilization from chaos. In my professional experience over 18 years as a prosecutor & defense attorney, I've really only encountered 3 police officers who I'd classify as nasty human beings; I've been blessed to get to know hundreds of others who serve their communities with honor and bravery.

One thing that cop TV shows get incorrect is the "negative" relationship between officers and defense attorneys. First, a good chunk of us defense attorneys used to be prosecutors, so we often have known certain officers for years and have even had trials where they were our witnesses; that shared experience builds trust. Second, the good officers know that we're just doing our job and that there is no personal animus when we cross-examine them. Finally -- and I think officers know this because of their involvement in the court system -- officers know that if they were ever disciplined, charged, served with a divorce petition, or sued, they would want counsel to fight for them and land hard blows in court.

There are "bad" people in every profession, and like everywhere, it's just those very, very few that tend to stick in most people's minds to color their perception of an entire profession, calling, trade, etc.

I always think how great it is for attorneys to have worked on both sides - it doesn't matter which one you start out on and end up on; I think it provides a unique and irreplaceable knowledge and talent. What an intense study of human nature from both sides.

It also amazes me how shortsighted some people can be to complain in broad generalities about law enforcement and defense attorneys until they need one.

BBM:

If I had to guess, I think SM's cell phone was most likely left at the house.

If something actually happened to SM before Sunday, May 10th, then how/where/when to dispose of the cell phone on Sunday without implicating himself in the process would have posed a huge problem for the person responsible.

JMO.

There is no reason why the cell phone would have been disposed of, in any scenario. SM rode her bike in an area where there is NO cellular coverage. Carrying a phone would have been extra useless weight.
IF her cell phone is missing, that would tend to be a suspicious clue.

While on the subject of cell phones, there are ONLY two towers that have any coverage on the eastern slope of Monarch Pass. While some seemingly knowledgeable commentators in past Colorado cases have touted that cell phone tracking is infallible..........it is not when there are less than three "pinged" towers. The tower only records the line of sight distance to where the phone is located, at the time of the ping. That becomes an arc of a circle with the center of the circle being the tower, the arc being at the consistent distance from the tower, and the length of the arc being limited by the practical width of the cell. Unless two towers are equal distance from the phone within half of 35 ft, there are going to be two places where two arcs intersect. which could be a very small distance between, or as much as 33-34 miles apart in open country. However, when a third tower is pinged, there is only going to be one place where the three arcs intersect, if the phone is not moving within the coverage. I'm sure all of this is clear as mud to many people, but in practical example, the entire path of KK with Kelsey Berreth's phone and her own, driving more than thirty miles of Interstate highway, taking the turnoff to a deep canyon, taking a little used side road and parking while she tossed personal items into the canyon was traceable by LE; but when PF LE theorized that was driving with that same victim's phone two days earlier, and KK was with him, the three phones could have been together of could have been 30 miles apart. For LE, it only made sense when combined with other evidence to make one of the two locations a logical match to witness testimony, and thus eliminate the other. One Monarch Pass, however, there is only one main road and very narrow cell coverage from the Verizon tower which is in a parallel line to the general path of that road up the east slope. The distance from the tower to the phone is going to fall on the road, which would retain an accuracy circle of 5 meters, or about the width of the two traffic lanes. Bottom line: LE surely has been able to track the movements of SM's phone to and from her home in an automobile for the previous week, but not on her bicycle or on foot. LE would not be able to determine of her phone was "staged" within 2000 feet of her house unless the phone got very near Hwy 50.
As I stated in previous posts, BLM's entire trip to Denver, his movements in that city, and his drive back should have all been verified by now, using cell phone data and traffic cam video. IMO

LE has not refuted the possibility of the bike being staged either. And that would have been very simple for them to do, if that’s what they believe.
LE would never confirm or deny this, IMO. However, the fact that they no longer mention a bike ride at all in their press releases (which are few and far between) could be a clue :)
ETA: MOO

Last edited:
They have to find out who took her and where she is. It must be frustrating for LE, CBI and FBI. Pray she is okay.

True about the extra weight/extra item to carry, but maybe she knew that the GPS also works by connecting via satellites as well as cell towers. She might also be able to use it to text for help (or communicate with daughters while they're on the road to visit her) and would take it anyway. I would, but I'm an extra cautious person.

I'm sure there are people who bravely go solo without any way to communicate with anyone; let alone call for help if needed for injury, bike breakdown or getting lost, but it's hard for me to imagine a mother on Mother's Day going completely vulnerable.

I bolded that part because I didn't know it before last week and selfishly, I feel better knowing this for myself and my family.

LE has not refuted the possibility of the bike being staged either. And that would have been very simple for them to do, if that’s what they believe.
IMO LE only has only shared specific information during the May 15th press conference, after the last search when the last personal item was found.

I think something cause them to shift their investigation after this event. They have been mum ever since and not shared anything with the general public (except in the neighborhood canvass, if they did in fact share anything with those interviewed).

I do not think they will share anything else with us until there is an arrest or SM is found. MOO

Last edited:
Hypothetical-if you believe that the bike was staged, do you believe that the personal item/s were staged as well? And what came first-bike or item/s?

MOO

If the bike was staged, IMO it was dumped Sat night (or overnight), personal items dumped next under cover of darkness, and perp headed out of town on highway 50. Personal items were found a bit west of intersection of 50 and 225 per LE. Chaffee County Sheriff's Office

Someone could’ve dumped the personal items and headed farther west via 50, or dumped them west as a diversion and headed back East via 50 (toward Denver).

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members