Michigan - Coronavirus COVID-19

Petition to limit Michigan governor's emergency powers gains board's OK

...Whitmer has criticized any attempt to limit her powers while she works to combat the COVID-19 public health crisis. The governor has argued that measures she's implemented have helped the state make progress in its fight against the virus.

In the past couple of months, Michigan has gone from third nationally for cases and deaths linked to COVID-19 to 11th for cases and seventh for deaths, according to tracking by Johns Hopkins University.

"Any attempt to strip away the powers of the governor during this crisis is irresponsible, dangerous and foolish," Whitmer said during a press conference last month...

Whitmer: Michigan will 'dial back' reopening if COVID-19 cases increase

Lansing — Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said Tuesday morning that she's "prepared to take heat" again if she imposes new restrictions in reaction to rising COVID-19 cases in Michigan.

"We're going to continue to monitor the numbers," Whitmer said during an interview with CNN's "New Day." "If they keep moving up, we're going to dial back if we have to. And it's the last thing any of us wants.

"I took a lot of heat. When we brought that curve down, we saved thousands of lives," she added at another point in the interview. "I'm prepared to take heat if that's what it's going to take to keep people safe."...

Don’t particularly care for GW but I think l she’s got this right so far. JMO

Some of the Governor's guidelines, rules, and restrictions have been tedious and confusing at times, but overall, I'm pleased that Michigan went from being third in the nation with the number of cases and deaths to our current position of twelfth. At my age (70), I'm not bothered by the changing litany of restrictions, but I'm sure that it can be troublesome for younger people and children. I'm pretty much a homebody in recent years and limit the number of times that I leave the house. I consolidate trips to appointments, market, pharmacy, etc. as possible and did this long before COVID-19.

I can live within the strict guidelines for the duration, but I certainly understand the difficulties that younger people, families, and children are experiencing. I hope and pray that Michigan can continue to make good progress in containing the virus and that we will soon be able to enjoy all that the Great Lakes State offers.

Michigan reports highest single-day count in seven weeks

Michigan reported 10 new coronavirus deaths Wednesday and confirmed 610 new cases — the highest single-day case count in seven weeks.

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services has tracked 66,237 cases of COVID-19 and 6,015 deaths through Wednesday. When probable deaths are included, the total reaches 6,261 deaths.

Wednesday's 610 new cases was the largest single-day case tally since May 20 when the state confirmed 659 cases...

Michigan reported 10 new coronavirus deaths Wednesday and confirmed 610 new cases — the highest single-day case count in seven weeks.

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services has tracked 66,237 cases of COVID-19 and 6,015 deaths through Wednesday. When probable deaths are included, the total reaches 6,261 deaths.

Wednesday's 610 new cases was the largest single-day case tally since May 20 when the state confirmed 659 cases...

I am watching the daily updates with a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. The UP cases are racking up rapidly and, while the numbers are so "low" compared to downstate they are higher than they have been since the safer at home order in March. We had so many days up here with no cases added at all...and now it was seven yesterday added in Marquette County alone. I see that Governor Whitmer is having a presser Thursday morning.... Wondering if things will be dialed back????

I hope businesses don't have to shut down again after so many waited months to reopen. Mandatory masks would be a step in the right direction, but there will always be people who don't/won't wear a mask. Social distancing should not be a problem for anyone and would help contain the spread of COVID-19. If there are closings, I'm guessing it would be hair/nail salons, spas, massage/tattoo studios, etc. where there is close personal contact. Despite the precautions that are in place, maybe indoor dining has led to an uptick in cases. Presser at 11:30.

I hope businesses don't have to shut down again after so many waited months to reopen. Mandatory masks would be a step in the right direction, but there will always be people who don't/won't wear a mask. Social distancing should not be a problem for anyone and would help contain the spread of COVID-19. If there are closings, I'm guessing it would be hair/nail salons, spas, massage/tattoo studios, etc. where there is close personal contact. Despite the precautions that are in place, maybe indoor dining has led to an uptick in cases. Presser at 11:30.

the local news up here reported this morning that she will not be changing the UP coronavirus level so we will stay at level 5. not sure how i feel about this given the increase in cases and that the school opening guidelines contain no required safety measures (only recommended ones) for level 5. I am not overly eager to send my kids back to school to be guinea pigs for level 5 school openings. Nor myself, as I work at the school and I have asthma. I feel for her, as she has an impossible job. At the same time, I am skeptical of her decision. However I will watch the presser and check out the data and withhold judgment.

GW has a press conference at 11:30. I believe she will start shutting us down again. JMO

eta I see @BetteDavisEyes already posted the time. Thanks

I had two appointments this morning and wasn't sure I'd be home in time for the Governor's presser. WDIV usually carries the news conferences on TV, but I'll watch stream if it's not on Channel 4. It's starting now...

Gov. Whitmer threatens stricter laws if Michigan residents refuse to ‘mask up’

Whitmer says some residents not taking mask laws seriously

LANSING, Mich. – Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is threatening to impose stricter mask laws amid a spike in coronavirus (COVID-19) cases and mounting evidence that some residents aren’t taking precautions seriously.

“Over the past week, we have seen an uptick in COVID-19 cases in Michigan, and over the holiday weekend, we saw countless Michiganders gathered in large groups to celebrate Fourth of July without a mask,” Whitmer said. “I think a lot of people saw this video footage from Cass County, Diamond Lake. Right now, the law requires that anyone in an enclosed public space has to wear a mask, and that means every store you’re going into. We’re reviewing that requirement and considering whether or not we need to take this a step further, to strengthen compliance, because we cannot let our guard down.”...

Whitmer warns she may toughen mask requirements after COVID-19 cases tick up

Lansing — Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer encouraged residents Thursday to wear masks to stem the spread of COVID-19 and cautioned that the state could make its mask requirements tougher in the near future.

During a press conference in Lansing, as the number of new cases of the virus continues to grow, Whitmer said the state’s current policy requires people to wear face coverings in enclosed public spaces.

“We are reviewing that requirement and considering whether or not we need to take this a step forward to strengthen compliance,” she said.

“If we let our guard down," the governor added, "we could see a rapid increase in cases and deaths in Michigan.”

At a later point, Whitmer said in response to a question that she is looking at taking more steps that would "encourage" better compliance with wearing masks indoors.

She said the "last thing" she wants to do is to be doling out "lots of penalties."...

Michigan Gov. Whitmer signs order requiring masks in indoor, some outdoor public spaces

Order requires business to refuse entry

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has signed a new Executive Order requiring masks in indoor public spaces and crowded outdoor spaces as COVID-19 cases spike in the state.

Executive Order 2020-147 reiterates that individuals are required to wear a face covering whenever they are in an indoor public space. It also requires the use of face coverings in crowded outdoor spaces, where you cannot maintain proper social distancing.

The order requires any business that is open to the public to refuse entry or service to people who refuse to wear a face covering, with limited exceptions...

Whitmer requires masks in crowded outdoor spaces, business enforcement

Michigan Gov. Whitmer signs order requiring masks in indoor, some outdoor public spaces

Order requires business to refuse entry

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has signed a new Executive Order requiring masks in indoor public spaces and crowded outdoor spaces as COVID-19 cases spike in the state.

Executive Order 2020-147 reiterates that individuals are required to wear a face covering whenever they are in an indoor public space. It also requires the use of face coverings in crowded outdoor spaces, where you cannot maintain proper social distancing.

The order requires any business that is open to the public to refuse entry or service to people who refuse to wear a face covering, with limited exceptions...

Whitmer requires masks in crowded outdoor spaces, business enforcement
I wonder if people will comply? I just came back from the small store downtown (and this is a very very small town) and I was the only patron with a mask on.

Several test positive for virus after Torch Lake Fourth of July celebration

Health officials are asking people who celebrated the Fourth of July on the sandbar at Torch Lake in northwest Lower Michigan to self-monitor for COVID-19 after several of the people who partied there tested positive for the coronavirus.

The Health Department of Northwest Michigan issued a press release Friday saying it was informed of the cases by another health department, which was not named. It didn't say how many cases were associated with the Torch Lake festivities.
According to the press release, case investigations of the people who tested positive determined that "numerous individuals" may have been exposed to COVID-19 on the sandbar.

"The positive cases were not able to offer identifying information for all potential contacts and therefore we want to make the public aware that those who attended could be at risk for exposure and additional cases could be seen in the coming days," the press release said...

I wonder if people will comply? I just came back from the small store downtown (and this is a very very small town) and I was the only patron with a mask on.

Some will. Some won't. The mask order will be difficult, if not nearly impossible to enforce. Business owners will not want to risk losing customers because they're not wearing masks. Not to mention, also, that business owners should not be policing who wears or doesn't wear a mask. I'm afraid that the mask order could lead to altercations between business owners and patrons. It won't be pretty :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back