FL FL - Lake City, WhtMale UP6246, 35-50, near I-10 rest area, Nov'78

UPDATE:

Some new information had been released by the Columbia County Sheriffs Office per their Facebook. Apparently the John Doe’s remains had been buried in 3 inches of pine needles and dirt. Also, contrary to some information that was posted, there was no signs of foul play.

It also appears that the traumatic injury to his back was a herniated disc. Interesting stuff!

FROM THE CCSO:

1978 “John Doe” Interstate 10
Columbia County, FL
NAMUS #UP6246
Case # 78111-831

In November of 1978, skeletal remains were discovered behind the rest area on Interstate 10 in Columbia County.

The remains had been located in a wooded area west of the rest area, between several planted pine trees. The remains had been covered with approximately 3 inches of old pine needles and dirt. At the time of their discovery, the remains did not present any evidences as to the cause of death, nor were there any clues as to the identification of the person. Only a portion of a pant leg was located near the remains and not all of the bones were located. It is believed that the individual died within a year of the remains being found.

The remains had been examined by Dr. Williams Maples, an expert in Forensic Anthropology. Dr. Maples and his team were able to determine that the unidentified remains were that of a white male, approximately 5’9” tall, with an age of approximately 35-50 years old. The team determined that this person likely had arthritis and was right handed. The individual also had a former fracture in the pelvic area, herniated disc, healed fracture of the left nasal bone and a probable left foot deformity. Based on an examination of the teeth that were present, it was determined the individual had periodontal disease, but had considerable dental care. The individual also had an atrophy of the mandible or molar area which would give the appearance of a small chin. The cause of death was never determined; however there also was no evidence of foul play.

The FBI lab extracted mitochondrial DNA from the skeletal remains and had a facial reconstruction completed. Additional facial renderings have been completed over the years with the most recent rendering that was completed by artist Anthony Redgrave, a volunteer with the DNA Doe Project and a co-founder of the Trans Doe Task Force.
If anyone has information as to the identification of this individual please contact the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigation Division at (386) 752-7015.

Columbia County Sheriff's Office

Since its been a year, I'd like to provide a small update to Forrest's case:

1.) No information has been obtained as to whether or not Forrest is Donald Thompson, the escaped inmate from the Indiana State Prison system that was mentioned early on this forum. Unfortunately, the lead is dead in the water since I haven't been able to get anyone to message me back. I also insisted to Capt. Dicks at Columbia County Sheriffs Office to reach out to them, but I am unsure if they did.

2.) With that said...A "Jane Doe" that was in the Columbia County Doe's list since 2002 was identified last week as Keith Edward Bamford. Bamford had run away from a mental health facility in Lake City in May of 1996. He was walking toward Starke, Florida (a looooooong walk) and had been seen near Lulu, Florida (about 10 miles from where Keith was staying at). In 2002, a hunter came across partial human remains and investigators believed that the remains were of an African American woman in her 30s or 40s. When I reached out to the CCSO on another case (the Detra McGuire case) last year, I submitted these remains for possible comparison. However....the DNA profile for these remains were found to not have been submitted to NamUs. This was actually revealed to me early last year when I inquired about any updates to my proposed matches to Detra. I guess after my inquiry, the CCSO made the effort to get the remains sent to the lab in Texas and when the results came back, they found out the remains were actually of a white male. You can only guess how they came up with Keith's identification. I followed Keith's missing person case, but not as extensive as I wished I could have. But with that said, due to the recent Identification, Forrest is the only case left in Columbia County's unidentified persons file. I really hope they get an opportunity to use forensic genealogy for his case because I will bet they can find a match that way! It would do me, the community, and especially his advocate Robert Johnson good!

That's all I have for now. Stay tuned should anything come up!

Since its been a year, I'd like to provide a small update to Forrest's case:

1.) No information has been obtained as to whether or not Forrest is Donald Thompson, the escaped inmate from the Indiana State Prison system that was mentioned early on this forum. Unfortunately, the lead is dead in the water since I haven't been able to get anyone to message me back. I also insisted to Capt. Dicks at Columbia County Sheriffs Office to reach out to them, but I am unsure if they did.

2.) With that said...A "Jane Doe" that was in the Columbia County Doe's list since 2002 was identified last week as Keith Edward Bamford. Bamford had run away from a mental health facility in Lake City in May of 1996. He was walking toward Starke, Florida (a looooooong walk) and had been seen near Lulu, Florida (about 10 miles from where Keith was staying at). In 2002, a hunter came across partial human remains and investigators believed that the remains were of an African American woman in her 30s or 40s. When I reached out to the CCSO on another case (the Detra McGuire case) last year, I submitted these remains for possible comparison. However....the DNA profile for these remains were found to not have been submitted to NamUs. This was actually revealed to me early last year when I inquired about any updates to my proposed matches to Detra. I guess after my inquiry, the CCSO made the effort to get the remains sent to the lab in Texas and when the results came back, they found out the remains were actually of a white male. You can only guess how they came up with Keith's identification. I followed Keith's missing person case, but not as extensive as I wished I could have. But with that said, due to the recent Identification, Forrest is the only case left in Columbia County's unidentified persons file. I really hope they get an opportunity to use forensic genealogy for his case because I will bet they can find a match that way! It would do me, the community, and especially his advocate Robert Johnson good!

That's all I have for now. Stay tuned should anything come up!

Missing man's remains identified in Columbia County 24 years after he disappeared
84446baa-aa3d-4836-b8c9-fc7497b3cd67_750x422.png

Great work! TY for staying on top of these cases. I didn't find a thread for Keith so I'll post this article here.

@JasonFutchLakeCityFL Have you looked into the possibility that these remains belong to Clovis Robert Berbari (49) of Roseville, MI? He went missing in the summer of 1977. His NamUs profile, which was created in 2018, states that he has ties to Florida, CA, and Canada. There isn't much information on his profile except 5'8"/185#/salt & pepper hair/brown eyes. I did not find any other MP profiles/threads for him. Here's a pic alongside the composites for Forrest.

21UMFL7_LARGE.jpg
Original
21UMFL_LARGE.jpg

21UMFL8_LARGE.jpg
Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Im confused, how did he die?? Police now say it wasn't homicide? I think it was since the remains were bleached

@JasonFutchLakeCityFL Have you looked into the possibility that these remains belong to Clovis Robert Berbari (49) of Roseville, MI? He went missing in the summer of 1977. His NamUs profile, which was created in 2018, states that he has ties to Florida, CA, and Canada. There isn't much information on his profile except 5'8"/185#/salt & pepper hair/brown eyes. I did not find any other MP profiles/threads for him. Here's a pic alongside the composites for Forrest.

21UMFL7_LARGE.jpg
Original
21UMFL_LARGE.jpg

21UMFL8_LARGE.jpg
Original

@JasonFutchLakeCityFL

Also, Frederick William Mcgary's NamUs profile was created May 2019. He went missing in March 1977 from Louisville, KY. It doesn't state that he has any connection to FL and he's a bit over the estimated height but, imo, he slightly resembles Forrest's composite. I can't find any other MP profiles for him.

I will look more into these profiles! It wouldn’t hurt that’s for sure!

Im confused, how did he die?? Police now say it wasn't homicide? I think it was since the remains were bleached
The cause of death was undetermined because they were not able to find any evidence of foul play. They were able to find some evidence of physical injuries he may have sustained in life like the broken nose and the ankle fracture. I spoke to a former CCSO deputy who worked this case in the 1990s and he told me that he believes the man was a transient who may have been passing through and possibly died in his sleep or from exposure especially if he had died during the winter months. Florida may be known as the Sunshine State; but when it gets cold, it can get cold!

If he did die of natural causes, who bleached his remains??

His hands were also never recovered, I don't think it was a coincidence that both hands were missing.

I wanted to take a minute to share the Facebook on this John Doe. The page has been approved by the Columbia County Sheriffs Office and its investigator, Captain Katina Dicks. The link is www.facebook.com/forrestjohndoe.

I am helping the CCSO reinvigorate this case in hopes that someone may come forward with information pertaining to this case. This is a case of simple identification, as there were no signs of foul play.

I haven't been able to understand, but where did the information about there being signs of foul play at the scene come from?
It was from previous websites that featured Forrest’s case. I think the assumptions were made because of how he was found; but no one took the time to actually call CCSO to ask if that’s what they suspected.

CCSO confirmed in 2019 on their Facebook page that foul play was not suspected. They likely attributed it to some of his older injuries if you are to assume the man was likely a transient.

Since this wasn't a homicide - are there any documents and photos from the case file out there?

Since this wasn't a homicide - are there any documents and photos from the case file out there?

A while back, there was a document floating around from Dr. William Maples of the C.A. Pound Institute detailing his review of the remains. I can't find it anymore. Other than that, nothing really. You would have to put in a request to the sheriff's office for their reports.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back