FL FL - Leila Cavett, 21, of GA (son Kamdyn, 2, found wandering streets), Miramar, 27 July 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those Facebook selling posts sound to me like she was operating a popup yard sale out of the back of her vehicle. Buying stuff around cheap and then selling it at one spot wherever she could get people to let her park free. She might have wanted an SUV for that and then realized the pickup would be even better.

So they’re saying here she lives in Georgia.

Why does Walker County Alabama have jurisdiction then?

I’m all confused.

Is this a reporting error also?

Can somebody please clarify all this? Tia.

In other cases I've followed, the jurisdiction might be either the place she is thought to have gone missing from, or the place where the missing persons report was made--in this case, where the relatives who reported her missing live.

Probably there are three separate but hopefully coordinated investigations going on--the missing persons report in Alabama, her likely disappearance from Georgia, and the one in Miramar where her son was found. It's very confusing but hopefully it's not hindering the search!

I'm sort of assuming that he went missing from a hotel/motel. He was found wearing a t-shirt and a diaper, no shoes. Or would Leila just put him in a car without any shorts/pants or shoes? If she was close to home, sure. But she was far away from home and, if she was doing stuff around Miramar, wouldn't she have him ready to go? I believe Leila must be in a hotel or motel.

Video with sisters.

Per video, “FaceTimed July 17”.

That would have been a Friday.

This also states that she was living in Georgia.

Where in Georgia?

—-

Eta:

Authorities searching for possible mother of boy found in Florida | WKRN News 2
Jul 28, 2020 / 07:14 AM CDT

Now, this says:

“WALKER COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT) — Authorities in Florida are searching for a woman from Alabama in connection to a child found in south Florida.

Detectives are searching for Leila Cavett of Walker County.”

—-

I guess I’ll go with the report from the video featuring her 3 sisters, that she was living in Georgia.

—-

So, is she from Alabama, but living in Georgia? Dawsonville? Atlanta?

—-

Eta: noting “Gainesville”

BBM:
According to google maps it’s a 10hr journey by car from Gainesville GA to Miramar FL (I chose Gainesville based on the FB selling page she was using). I know it isn’t always wise to say “if it were me I would have” as no two people are the same, but I don’t think I’d be making a 20hr round trip without telling anybody, especially with my young son in tow. Was she going somewhere and didn’t want anyone to find out? I’m not implying she was doing anything wrong per se, there could be many reasons why she didn’t want anyone to know. Or maybe quite the opposite as I suggested earlier, maybe SHE never went to FL. JMO.

The family statement regarding not caring what she’s done and just wanting her home seems strange. Wouldn’t “we just want you home” be enough? It tells me they believe that she has been involved in something questionable. Regardless, I hope she is found safe very soon for the sake of this poor little guy.

Last edited:
Well geeeeez, it's not like we here at WS are going to read anything into that statement!

(sarcasm)
I'll go first, what do they think she might have done?

I think she may be referring to something that happened previously in the past. As a poster on here pointed out, they don't seem so close on FB.

Maybe an argument in the past?

MOO

If the truck was driven all the way from the north through Florida turnpike or other major arteries, I would think that they have already picked up her travel up from license plate readers they have in that state (recall the Dan Markel case and the Sievers case too irrc did such). And if through a toll booth, license plate with photo I would expect.

Unless a perp switched the plate, if there is a plate. Nonetheless they’ll be reviewing cameras for the truck. This could take time. A lot of time.

If something nefarious happened and this outstanding tailgate was on the car of suspicion and I thought they were looking for it, I would just take the tailgate off. Lots of trucks run around without a tailgate. And there's tons of white trucks.
jmo

Or painted the tailgate, if it’s not ditched or hidden? Or maybe got a tailgate replacement from a scrapyard? Just some ideas jumping off your post.

—-

Eta / thinking:

She could have left the child with her sisters if she wanted to voluntarily disappear, and would have known for sure he’d be safe. They were close enough to each other that they FaceTimed for an hour on July 17, per the above video.

I don’t think this is voluntary.

Last edited:
Well geeeeez, it's not like we here at WS are going to read anything into that statement!

(sarcasm)
I'll go first, what do they think she might have done?
Reading between the lines (and on LC's facebook pages), I suspect there may have been addiction issues at some time, as well as contact with LE.

Not that it matters in relation to finding Leila, who I feel is endangered at this time. But certain patterns in a person's life can be relevant in terms of trying to locate them when they have gone missing. Her beautiful little guy looks well taken care of, so I can't imagine she has intentionally left him alone.

Reading between the lines (and on LC's facebook pages), I suspect there may have been addiction issues at some time, as well as contact with LE.

Not that it matters in relation to finding Leila, who I feel is endangered at this time. But certain patterns in a person's life can be relevant in terms of trying to locate them when they have gone missing. Her beautiful little guy looks well taken care of, so I can't imagine she has intentionally left him alone.

I do feel this as well. As a mama with a child that suffers from addictions I just feel she has had some struggles. Not saying she still is and I still believe something more sinister happened. Jmo. Feel so sad for her.

Mom of wandering toddler has ties to Walker County
rbbm.
''A woman believed to be the mother of a toddler found wandering outside an apartment complex in Miramar, Florida, on Sunday has ties to Walker County.

Walker County Sheriff's Office Investigator Carl Carpenter said Leila Cavett, 21, has lived in Walker County in the past and currently has a pending court case here but is not considered to be missing from Walker County.

Her Facebook page lists her as living in Atlanta. Court records list her address as Muscle Shoals.

"We don't have any reason to believe that she is anywhere else but southern Florida,"
said Carpenter, the major crimes/missing person investigator at WCSO.

"She's very close to her child from what we understand. I believe whatever the circumstances were in Florida for her child to turn up down there, I don't have any reason not to believe that she is down there, and I have a lot of concern about her if the child was by himself," Carpenter said.''

''The last time Cavett was confirmed to be in Walker County was in October 2019, according to Carpenter.

According to court documents, Cavett was arrested in Cordova on drug charges in September and received two traffic tickets in October. Cavett failed to appear on the traffic violations at a court date in February, which resulted in her driver's license being suspended in March.''

Yes, there is. Seems a straight shot down the road, just 6 mins away driving, 35 mins walking. I always forget how to link maps, sorry.

okay, I asked because a post on a non approved site claims to have seen her at a Walmart with the son and a man on Saturday. MOO. That person claims they informed the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500