GUILTY UK - Lindsay Birbeck, 47, teaching asst, found deceased, Accrington, 12 Aug 2019 *teen arrested* #5

It's on the Preston court room website his name and always has been.

Extremely suprised, how can they find him guilty so quick and unanimously? There wasnt enough found evidence for me.

Glad her family has got justice!

Yes, it's a strange restriction. Anyone can read it as you say at the Court ,but the media are not allowed to reveal it.

Me too Doris, had been holding my breath then burst into tears when the verdict came in. I think I was just so relieved for her poor family that the trial was over and justice was served.

Definitely emotional.

Lindsay was taken in the most dreadful way exactly one year ago and now on this day, of all days, her family and friends have justice.

We are elated and sad at the same time.

I hope they can move forward with peace and find happiness in due course.

RIP Lindsay Birbeck

Last edited:
They have to lift the restriction tomorrow. You can't murder an innocent woman in the woods, on a perfectly normal day and not be named. Autism isn't an excuse for not naming him either. MOO

I think they will. Similar to the Alesha McPhail murder. Aaron Campbell was not quite 17 at the time of his guilty sentence.

Sorry just edited there, getting birthdates mixed up.

Lindsay’s family have paid the following tribute to her: “As a family we are completely devastated that Lindsay has been taken from us so suddenly in such an appalling way.

“However, we do feel some sense of relief that the defendant has been found guilty of murdering Lindsay and that justice has now been served.

“Lindsay went for a walk on a sunny afternoon in August and never came home, it’s unthinkable that something as brutal as this could happen in our close community to someone that was loved so very dearly.

“Our lives have been utterly destroyed by the evil, cowardly behaviour of the defendant and the horrific manner in which she was murdered – it has left a huge void in our lives that will never be filled.

“This callous act has destroyed our lives forever.

“We would like to thank everybody in the community that searched for Lindsay, generously giving up their own time; we can never repay that kindness and we will never forget the compassion that they showed our family at such a difficult time.

“We would also like to thank the police that have worked tirelessly throughout this investigation, the legal team that have supported us and the family liaison officers that have been by our side since Lindsay first went missing.

“Our family now need time to reflect and grieve for Lindsay and try to rebuild our shattered lives.”

Lancashire Constabulary - Teenager convicted of Lindsay Birbeck murder

Defendant to receive life sentence
The Judge has told the 17-year-old convicted of Lindsay’s murder that he will be given a life sentence on Friday.

She said: “You will be sentenced before me on Friday. Mr Fenhalls is going to talk to you about whether you wish to physically come to court.

“Either way you will be sentenced on Friday.

“There is, as you probably know, only one sentence I can impose on you which is effectively a life sentence but I am required to set the minimum term.

“That’s what I will be doing.”

I was not guilty with this, not because I didn’t think he did it, but because I couldn’t rule out beyond reasonable doubt that he wasn’t just an accomplice. But I did turn slightly when following the prosecution summing up, and hearing all the prosecution evidence together. Although it was not enough for me to rule out someone else being involved.

But I trust in the jury’s verdict as they have seen and heard far more than me. Hopefully that brings some comfort to the family, and to the residents of Huncoat and the surrounding areas, of which there have been quite a few on here giving valuable insights.

Will be very interesting to see what sentence he gets. Edit - looks like there is only one sentence possible, which is the correct one.

I actually don't see why he is given a choice as to whether or not he attends for sentencing.

I can see how it is much easier for the police / court etc to have him on video link but I do feel, as a convicted murderer, he should be made to be there.

Police statement
Detective Superintendent Andy Cribbin of Lancashire Police, said: “This is a despicable crime in which a complete stranger, who for reasons known only to himself, attacked and killed Lindsay. He then set about covering his tracks and attempting to conceal Lindsay’s body.

“Our subsequent CCTV enquiries show that the defendant made several trips between an area close to the Coppice and the cemetery in the subsequent days and it is our belief that he even did a dry run to see if he could successfully move Lindsay’s body without being caught.

“Throughout the investigation and trial, the defendant weaved a tale of lies and tried to pass the blame onto an ‘unknown man’, who in reality did not exist. He has shown no remorse whatsoever for his offending and the devastation caused to the lives of Lindsay’s family and friends.

“I have nothing but admiration for Lindsay’s children Sarah and Steven, her family, colleagues and many friends. They have suffered a huge loss and have conducted themselves with dignity from the outset and throughout the trial. I hope this outcome helps them in some way with their grieving.

“I would like to thank the jury for their attention and careful consideration of the facts in delivering this verdict in what was a distressing case for them to hear.

“When Lindsay went missing the outpouring of support from the community of Accrington and elsewhere was gratefully received. For days on end people assisted with searching for Lindsay, assisting the police officers, firefighters and Mounted Rescue colleagues, who were all devastated when our worst fears were realised. Their dedication shows how loved and respected Lindsay was by so many people and it makes it so much harder to understand how her life came to end so tragically. I would like to thank everyone on behalf of Lindsay’s family and the Police for all of their help and well wishes.

“Finally, I would like to thank all of the police staff and officers, the Crown Prosecution Service and prosecution counsel for their tireless work in piecing together what happened to Lindsay and bringing the defendant to justice.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PurplePoloBear
Back