GUILTY UK - Lindsay Birbeck, 47, teaching asst, found deceased, Accrington, 12 Aug 2019 *teen arrested* #5

Cannot speculate reasons why Rocky moved body
Mrs Yip said: “Having killed Lindsay he then set about concealing her body.

“He went home then returned with a rucksack and may have had a saw with him. He had attempted to cut off her leg.

“He must have discovered cutting through a leg was harder than anticipated.

“It is an odd feature of the case the defendant chose to move the body from the Coppice.

“I cannot speculate as to his reasons for doing that. Her body was not found for 12 days.

“I can only imagine the agony of Lindsay’s family and friends during that time.”

Lindsay Birbeck murder retrial: Rocky Price to be sentenced - updates

Mental disorder cannot in any way excuse or explain his action'
The judge said: “The defendant's mental disorder cannot in any way excuse or explain his actions

“I have no doubt he knew what he was doing and knew it was terribly wrong.

“The stalking of the other woman also demonstrates this did not arise out of a sudden loss of control or heat of the moment. He persisted with his plan to target a lone woman.

“It shows he had the capacity to plan and reason.

“The teachers said he was far better at practical tasks and he used that to set about concealing body.”

I hope she gives a serious amount of time. Although, he does have mental issues, with a very low IQ and autism. So he does have some explanations, that many young killers do not have.

Neither of those are just reasons to kill.

I have spoken to friends with ASD about this case and they are as equally outraged at what he did.

Last edited:
He has difficulties which reduce his capacity for empathy however it cannot excuse or explain his actions - I have no doubt he knew what he was doing when he killed her and that killing her was terribly wrong.

"This was a premeditated attack - he persisted in a plan to target a lone woman.

"He used his practical aptitude to set about concealing the body.

Live: Rocky Price to be sentenced for Lindsay Birbeck murder

Price poses 'very real risk to members of the public'
Mrs Yip said: “The murder of a stranger in broad daylight with no rational explanation is horrifying to all members of society.

“The random nature of the killing shows the defendant presents a very real risk to members of the public

“There will no doubt be a significant amount of work and full risk assessments before defendant’s potential release.”

The murder of a stranger in broad daylight is horrifying to all right thinking members of society.

"I am encouraged to read of his positive behaviour while in custody but he displayed the same behaviour at his special school with no indication of what was to come.

The law recognises that crimes committed by children should be considered in a different light to those committed by adults

Price 'lay in wait with the intent to kill a passing woman'
Mrs Yip said: “I have no doubt the murder was significantly premediated

“He formed the intent to kill a woman. I find he was deliberately targeting lone woman.

“The attack was swift and brutal.

“I’m sure the defendant lay in wait with the intent to kill a passing woman.

Significant public dismay and concern’
Mrs Yip said the random nature of the attack will cause ‘significant public dismay and concern’

She told the court the ‘huge public response demonstrates the community impact of the crime’

Defence mitigation
Mrs Yip said she will take into account Price’s ‘immaturity’, the challenges he face in custodial setting and no previous conviction.

Last edited:
There is no evidence of a long term plan or the defendant going equipped to kill, but it was to some degree premeditated.

"He was targeting lone women.

"Lindsay was not the first to attract his attention.

"The court cannot be certain of the defendant's motives when burying her body in the cemetery

It would be unrealistic to approach this case as an ordinary murder

"The findings leave me in no doubt this was a deliberate and brutal killing

I take into account his immaturity and the difficulties he will face in a custodial setting

There must be a significant uplift from the starting point

"Rocky Marciano Price, for the murder of Lindsay Birbeck, you will be detained at her majesty's pleasure.

"You will serve a life sentence.

"You will serve a minimum term of 16 years less the 348 days you have already served in custody.

"Only then will the parole board decide if you are eligible for release.

"Upon any release you will be on licence for the rest of your life."

I feel a bit disappointed;was hoping for 20.
On the other hand 16 years might prevent an appeal being successful.

I think that makes sense - if she went too high the Defence might try to reduce it down. I think with 16 yrs they know there is little chance of getting it reduced

He will still only be 32 when he is released - assuming he is of course.

Sorry what??? 16 years?!!!! For killing a woman in broad daylight, for what looks like no reason whatsoever, brutally crushing her neck to the point where the pathologist suspected he has stamped on it... and then casually disposing her body in a wheelie bin & continuing to visit the deposition site repeatedly (or voyeuristically? ) over the following days.

This is one of the most horrendous murders I’ve heard about.

16 years... free to start his life at 31/32. Unbelievable. This country is a *advertiser censored***** joke.

Hi rishtoner.. have u seen the efits of the 2 other men who were involved in sexual assaults of some kind in that area.. do any of them look like him do you think? The one with the glasses has the same mouth but he would have been 13/14 at that time. Someone else posted in here that it was rocky and never admitted to it? What do u think?

I wonder if the victims of these come forward to identify him...? It's all so strange all this.. can't help feel sorry for the lad

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
undefined.value
Back