GUILTY Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lori Loughlin sentencing: Legal experts still expect star to serve prison time despite coronavirus pandemic

Some excerpts from article, it's a good article:

One thing that seems highly unlikely is the judge letting Loughlin serve her sentence at home. Attorneys for Janavs and Henriquez made that play, citing the pandemic, and Gorton denied them. Instead, he allowed the sentences to be postponed a few months. So while judges have been more lenient allowing white-collar convicts to serve home confinement due to the pandemic, Gorton hasn’t been one of them — thus far.

6e8d4580-580e-11ea-bcff-fe7bef8ec7e5

Loughlin's judge said no to Hot Pocket heiress Michelle Janavs's request to serve her five month sentence at home. She's another rich parent charged in the high-profile and wide-spread scandal. (Photo: AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

“In a case like this — with so much public scrutiny and so much publicity and so many people angry about the disparity of what really rich parents can get for their kids — I honestly do not believe the judge will consider a home confinement,” Megerditchian says.

Speaking about serving prison time amid the pandemic, Lyman, who’s also not associated with the case, notes, that Loughlin faces “a relatively short sentence. In light of COVID-19, the incubation period for new prisoners is 14 days. Meaning they serve in isolation for at least 14 days. After that, she will only have a month and a half of time. I cannot imagine her sentence would be commuted given the time and expense of processing a prisoner in the first place.”

A caveat is if Loughlin has a pre-existing health condition that Janavs and Henriquez do not and her attorneys use that to keep her out of prison.

“Based on the judge’s rulings in denying a house arrest sentence for other defendants, such sentence for Loughlin is unlikely unless her lawyers can differentiate her from the others — possibly highlighting unique health risks or worsening conditions in the prisons,” Molea says.

But it seems more likely Loughlin will do time — as it was a hard-fought case for prosecutors.

“Loughlin’s lawyer [Sean M. Berkowitz of Latham & Watkins] really tried every argument to try to fight this case,” Megerditchian says. “Everything the lawyer tried did not work.

And it’s possible Loughlin could spend Christmas behind bars.

“She will probably be ordered to surrender herself to the Bureau of Prisons in late October or November,” Lyman says. “Loughlin could be in custody throughout the holidays.”

Last edited:
The real affront to me, is that their combined fines, $150,000 for LL, and $250,0000 for GM, are not even close to the $500,000 they paid off Singer. Why haven't they at least been fined what they paid for the bribe? It is not like they are broke.

Lori Loughlin's Husband Mossimo Giannulli Gets 5 Months in College Admissions Scandal

Mossimo Giannulli received a five-month federal prison sentence Friday. As part of his sentence, Giannulli will also pay a $250,000 fine and serve 250 hours of community service.

Giannulli and his attorneys attended court via a Zoom call. Judge Nathaniel Gorton said that he would accept the plea deal.

Loughlin will be sentenced this afternoon.

Gotta love what the judge said (but I wish he could have given him more time):

While sentencing him, Gorton said to Giannulli, “You have plead guilty and now stand convicted motivated by hubris — and that is defined as ‘wanton arrogance resulting from excessive pride.’ That is not something in which I usually am concerned when I have to sentence someone in this courtroom. I see lots of drug dealers, gun runners and people who committed violent crimes who have grown up without role models, sometimes having been abused themselves and living in squalid conditions and did not know better. That’s not so with you, Mr. Giannulli,” who, he said, “did know better.”

He said Giannulli was part of a “breathtaking fraud on our system of education and involved your wife and two daughters in cheating and faking their ways into a prestigious university. You were not stealing bread to feed your family. You have no excuse for your crime.”

From: Lori Loughlin sentencing: Husband Mossimo Giannulli gets 5 months in prison as it's revealed he took infamous rowing pictures

Gotta love what the judge said (but I wish he could have given him more time):

While sentencing him, Gorton said to Giannulli, “You have plead guilty and now stand convicted motivated by hubris — and that is defined as ‘wanton arrogance resulting from excessive pride.’ That is not something in which I usually am concerned when I have to sentence someone in this courtroom. I see lots of drug dealers, gun runners and people who committed violent crimes who have grown up without role models, sometimes having been abused themselves and living in squalid conditions and did not know better. That’s not so with you, Mr. Giannulli,” who, he said, “did know better.”

He said Giannulli was part of a “breathtaking fraud on our system of education and involved your wife and two daughters in cheating and faking their ways into a prestigious university. You were not stealing bread to feed your family. You have no excuse for your crime.”

From: Lori Loughlin sentencing: Husband Mossimo Giannulli gets 5 months in prison as it's revealed he took infamous rowing pictures

Giannulli spoke briefly saying, “I deeply regret the harm that my actions have caused my daughters, my wife and others,” coming off as emotional as he spoke. “I take full responsibility for my conduct. I’m ready to accept the consequences and move forward with the lessons i learned from this experience.”

Earlier, prosecutors talked about Giannulli’s “complete disregard for right and wrong” and allowing “his daughters to become complicit” in the scam by getting them to lie about being coxswain, getting them to pose for fake rowing photos and copying them on emails about the crimes. They spoke about his privilege and entitled attitude as he stormed into his daughter’s high school guidance counselor’s office to intimidate the counselor, who became suspicious.

When Giannulli’s attorney spoke, it was a lot about his modest upbringing and saying his “top priority is his children.” Calling him a “good man who made terrible mistakes,” he said Giannulli wanted his daughters to get into good schools and noted they had good grades and test scores outside of the scandal. The attorney also spoke of the infamous staged rowing photos which showed the girls posing on ERG machines to look like real crew members, acknowledging that Giannulli was the one who snapped the photos.

The attorney said “Moss” deeply regret “bringing his wife into the scheme” and the daughters, who they say have been bullied on social media and in person.

The attorney also said Giannulli and Loughlin have unfairly become the face of the scandal, noting that would be discussed more at Loughlin’s sentence. She faces the judge at 2:30 p.m. ET.

All I hope for is that this pair become aware of their privilege and the gravity of what they have done. I don't think they have yet. Maybe being housed with people who have less than them and their daughters will help them to see that they can do good for others and acknowledge how good they have (had) it. In my book, Felicity Huffman was much more apologetic and sorry for what she had done. I don't think these two have yet fully accepted responsibility for their actions.

All I hope for is that this pair become aware of their privilege and the gravity of what they have done. I don't think they have yet. Maybe being housed with people who have less than them and their daughters will help them to see that they can do good for others and acknowledge how good they have (had) it. In my book, Felicity Huffman was much more apologetic and sorry for what she had done. I don't think these two have yet fully accepted responsibility for their actions.
Not aware. Lori is blaming her husband, all she did is follow his lead, my opinion from this quote in above linked article -

Lori:

" I went along with a plan to give my daughters an unfair advantage in the college-admissions process, and in doing so, I ignored my intuition and allowed myself to be swayed from my moral compass."

yuck
INFORMAL
exclamation

• used to express strong distaste or disgust.

Last edited:
Not aware. Lori is blaming her husband, all she did is follow his lead, my opinion from this quote in above linked article -

Lori:

" I went along with a plan to give my daughters an unfair advantage in the college-admissions process, and in doing so, I ignored my intuition and allowed myself to be swayed from my moral compass."

yuck
INFORMAL
exclamation

• used to express strong distaste or disgust.

Wow

She deserves to never be hired again for that statement.

Accepting no responsibility for fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member