Found Deceased AR - Sydney Sutherland, 25, Jackson Co., went for a jog, 19 Aug 2020 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know why but I’ve just assumed in my mind that QL was probably “farming” in one of the fields SS was running by, rather than being in a vehicle and that maybe he just overpowered her and dragged her out of sight.

I saw this earlier this week and thought those AR towns were familiar. Now after looking at a map I remembered driving through these towns many years ago when I lived in that part of the country.

I'm sick of reading of these stories about women out jogging or bike riding and encountering someone intent on doing them harm. It is becoming entirely too frequent.

Good for your son! I’m a female runner. I took a self defense class. It felt empowering at the time. Unfortunately, I feel like I would need constant refreshers to make it more valuable. I guess I should keep watching YouTube instructional videos.

I hate that we as women, have to worry about things like this. But it is just reality. I think my biggest area of strength is being hyper vigilant of my surroundings. I know the best thing is to run with a buddy, but I’m not the best at sticking to this rule. I have pepper spray (gel), but I’m not the best at carrying that either.

My heart breaks for Sydney and her friends and family. This is tragic.

I usually run with my dog. It’s like running with a loaded gun. She’s savage if any man tries to approach me unless I let her know it’s okay.

But man, it’s a pain because I have to run with a jogging pack with her water, poop bags, ball and ball thrower (it helps distract her if we come across horses, other dogs or runners on a trail), etc. and I hate running with a leash.

But I feel very safe.

I'm so sorry to see this outcome. May Sydney RIP.

I'm very curious as to what else this guy has been up to lately, because there sure seems to be a local pattern.

As women, we should not be frightened to be outside by ourselves. We should not be seen as a target. I resent that I have to be hyper-vigilant with my head on a swivel, just walking outdoors. Being outside should not make you high risk because you are a female. Yet we see this over and over again.
/rant over

MOO

Men have no idea what it’s like.

Maybe not. They were acquaintances at the least. She may have gone with him willingly. No yelling what story he used.

They both graduated from the same high school just four years apart. Around here everyone knows everyone and everything about them. He is a member of a prestigious farm family in Jackson county so I’m sure she felt she could trust him.

...A report came in that a local farmer, Quake Lewellyn, has confessed to police that he hit Sydney Claire Sutherland, resulting in her death and then fled the scene...
Could it be possible that police interrogators were giving QL an out by stating something like, "You know, if it were an accident and you panicked, that is understandable..."

It's like what investigators said to Chris Watts. 'Did you see Shan'ann doing something to the children?" Chris jumped on board with that one. Murderers almost always downplay what they have done.

JMO.

And she lives near there. I would imagine she's comfortable running near her own home and seems to be a normal routine for her. JMO

Yes, not many other options for running trails around Northeast Arkansas. Grubbs is such a small place it is almost unimaginable that anything like this could even happen there (population 353).

Yes, not many other options for running trails around Northeast Arkansas. Grubbs is such a small place it is almost unimaginable that anything like this could even happen there (population 353).
That's definitely a small town. Everyone most likely knows everyone else and feels safe.

Welcome to Websleuths, btw @okitsnikkij

I usually run with my dog. It’s like running with a loaded gun...
Unfortunately, if someone is determined to do harm to you, s/he can overcome just about anything. Case in point, Mandy Stavik was out jogging with her dog and was abducted by a neighbor. Her dog was left behind.

A bakery worker helped cops nab her co-worker as a cold case murder suspect by stealing his discarded Coke can for DNA evidence

I used to be an avid runner (many years ago) and ran by myself morning, noon or night. It's sad that one has to be so cautious these days.

I always remember Hannibal stating in "Silence of the Lambs" to look at the killer's first victim. It is usually someone he sees and covets.

I think that QL probably "coveted" Sydney for quite some time and wished that he could have an attractive girlfriend like her. Since it wasn't going to willingly happen, he took matters into his own hands.

JMO.

How many women have been ambushed, raped, and killed jogging in the last few years?
Should women be warned? We know about this with our interest in crime but many women are completely innocent to the risks. In fact, my son once offered to teach a form of self defense to women and was thoroughly condemned for "putting the burden on the women" rather than just encouraging men not to rape and murder. It has become a delicate topic. What to do???? (My heart breaks for these girls.) The other politically incorrect aspect is so often they fit the bill for a beautiful woman with a beautiful figure....in other words, what a perverted violent male would associate with his own obscene fantasies fueled frequently by *advertiser censored*. I want them to run in burkas. (Covered head to toe.) Again, I get the politically incorrectness of what I am saying, but the mother in me wants to protect them all. Also, so many smart people on this website with knowledge about crime....any ideas on how to protect women going forward without blaming the victims or terrifying all young women jogging????? Thanks, guys.

IMO, often many need to hear the political incorrectness of topics like such.
Thanks for sharing! Much respect

I live in AR a couple of hours from where this happened. I, too, am shocked by his brazenness in participating in the searches. While I have seen it time after time on here I would have never thought that it would happen HERE. But of course, I also never thought this young lady would have lost her life like this either. I’m sure she felt safe in the familiar area close to her home and then this monster came along. I’m having trouble reconciling his evil with the sweet southern people that live here. But, unfortunately evil does walk among us-even in Arkansas. RIP sweet Sydney.
Yes it does, and it’s unfortunate & tragic. I don’t know if it’s reading up on cases on WS or just me paying more attention to the things of this world, but even here in Arkansas there’s no immunity from such evil. And it saddens me that such things happen even in the state I live in. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member