Found Deceased AR - Sydney Sutherland, 25, Jackson Co., went for a jog, 19 Aug 2020 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. He changed his name. Not sure if it was legally changed or he just goes by a different name now? My understanding is he’s not a Lewellyn by birth, his mom married a Lewellyn.

That makes sense.

“Quake” is such an odd chosen name. I mean he does reside in the new Madrid fault and all but still (Which ummm would be a totally odd namesake if that was his thinking)...anyway I find it very bizarre. JMO

Last edited:
Yes, I’ve been hit by a car. I would think my injuries were pretty typical. Broken and dislocated left shoulder, broken pelvis, lacerations requiring stitches on left elbow and forehead and concussion. Various abrasions...blood soaked hair. Plus, I shattered the windshield. But it was a very small vehicle. Thank goodness, because that’s probably why I lived to tell about it. The accident report said vehicle was moving at a constant speed (speed limit was 40 mph).
Happy you're here with us today, wow :eek:

How many women have been ambushed, raped, and killed jogging in the last few years?
Should women be warned? We know about this with our interest in crime but many women are completely innocent to the risks. In fact, my son once offered to teach a form of self defense to women and was thoroughly condemned for "putting the burden on the women" rather than just encouraging men not to rape and murder. It has become a delicate topic. What to do???? (My heart breaks for these girls.) The other politically incorrect aspect is so often they fit the bill for a beautiful woman with a beautiful figure....in other words, what a perverted violent male would associate with his own obscene fantasies fueled frequently by *advertiser censored*. I want them to run in burkas. (Covered head to toe.) Again, I get the politically incorrectness of what I am saying, but the mother in me wants to protect them all. Also, so many smart people on this website with knowledge about crime....any ideas on how to protect women going forward without blaming the victims or terrifying all young women jogging????? Thanks, guys.
Good for your son! I’m a female runner. I took a self defense class. It felt empowering at the time. Unfortunately, I feel like I would need constant refreshers to make it more valuable. I guess I should keep watching YouTube instructional videos.

I hate that we as women, have to worry about things like this. But it is just reality. I think my biggest area of strength is being hyper vigilant of my surroundings. I know the best thing is to run with a buddy, but I’m not the best at sticking to this rule. I have pepper spray (gel), but I’m not the best at carrying that either.

My heart breaks for Sydney and her friends and family. This is tragic.

It was not Cross Fit. It was an independent local gym.

Thank you ThickBeardedDude. Not meaning to suggest only Crossfit--just wondering if the gym was a connection or a space in which he watched her? Because this seemed to happen after her gym time, which may have been regular and scheduled.

Maybe my bigger question goes to intent and planning--did he watch her and plan it or did they have an interaction earlier that day which put her in his mind or was he just driving by? There are so many questions for me about this.

Happy you're here with us today, wow :eek:
Thanks, Knox. Yes, I was very fortunate. I was with a friend walking along side a coastal highway at the beach, and we were heading to a crosswalk. The light was red. As we were nearing the crosswalk, the driver of a waiting pick up truck waved for us to cross in front of him. We were teenagers and I think it was an impulsive knee jerk reaction to just follow his direction. As we crossed, the light turned green. We never saw the car coming in the next lane beside his truck (that had never been stopped at light).

Moral of the story: always use a crosswalk. And, as nice as you think it is to wave someone one on to cross in front of your vehicle....never do that in a multi lane road where you are not sure what surrounding traffic is doing.

Back to topic: I don’t believe for a minute that SS was hit by QL’s truck.

Thanks, Knox. Yes, I was very fortunate. I was with a friend walking along side a coastal highway at the beach, and we were heading to a crosswalk. The light was red. As we were nearing the crosswalk, the driver of a waiting pick up truck waved for us to cross in front of him. We were teenagers and I think it was an impulsive knee jerk reaction to just follow his direction. As we crossed, the light turned green. We never saw the car coming in the next lane beside his truck (that had never been stopped at light).

Moral of the story: always use a crosswalk. And, as nice as you think it is to wave someone one on to cross in front of your vehicle....never do that in a multi lane road where you are not sure what surrounding traffic is doing.

I too and so glad you are ok. As someone who has not used crosswalks in the past, I am glad you shared your story.

Also, ITA-I don’t believe she was hit by his car. It sounded like he hunted her. Such a loss for two families and that entire small town. This will likely effect the community for years to come.

Maybe my bigger question goes to intent and planning--did he watch her and plan it or did they have an interaction earlier that day which put her in his mind or was he just driving by? There are so many questions for me about this.

Think that predators fantasize about different scenarios in which they might have an opportunity to nab a victim. It’s part of their daily thought process as they drive around town or go about their business. Their eyes are always open looking for opportunistic places, vulnerable people, places where they might take their victims after they get them. I wouldn’t be surprised if this guy carried things in his vehicle like zip ties, duck tape, tarp, mask, or hoodie.

This may be the first time he has ever successfully kidnapped a woman and killed her, maybe not. But I will bet that the other reports of attempted kidnapping‘s are connected to him. If police check with neighboring counties, cities, or places he has lived before, maybe they’ll find more.
MOO

I'm so sorry to see this outcome. May Sydney RIP.

I'm very curious as to what else this guy has been up to lately, because there sure seems to be a local pattern.

As women, we should not be frightened to be outside by ourselves. We should not be seen as a target. I resent that I have to be hyper-vigilant with my head on a swivel, just walking outdoors. Being outside should not make you high risk because you are a female. Yet we see this over and over again.
/rant over

MOO

I'm so sorry to see this outcome. May Sydney RIP.

I'm very curious as to what else this guy has been up to lately, because there sure seems to be a local pattern.

As women, we should not be frightened to be outside by ourselves. We should not be seen as a target. I resent that I have to be hyper-vigilant with my head on a swivel, just walking outdoors. Being outside should not make you high risk because you are a female. Yet we see this over and over again.
/rant over

MOO

I completely agree. My husband about a month back bought me noise canceling ear buds. I was taken back on how much he was excited for me to have them for exercising and the terror I felt when he gave them to me. If you’re not a woman you have no idea how it feels always to have to be on the lookout even in my incredibly safe neighborhood. I’m sure SS felt the same way. It’s an absolute tragedy all the way around.

I do trust this sheriff will explore QLs past behavior. From the press conference, he seemed extremely professional and by the books. For that I am grateful.

With allboys (and hugging allboys). When I was hit by a truck while crossing the street at 15, I was in ICU for weeks. My body was covered in glass and bruises. I had to get so many surgeries and the basal skull fracture had long term effects on my hearing and all the nerves in the right side of my face. If she had been accidentally hit by this truck, her body would tell that story very clearly.

Thank you ThickBeardedDude. Not meaning to suggest only Crossfit--just wondering if the gym was a connection or a space in which he watched her? Because this seemed to happen after her gym time, which may have been regular and scheduled.

There was a post on the Missing FB page from the gym owners. She stated Sydney trained there every Wednesday morning with the same 5 women and also with a woman trainer. So it seems unlikely that he ran into her earlier at this location. Seems he knew her. Possibly knew she ran in her home area. Maybe he was cruising and waiting. Maybe he just happened to pass her by. If she knew him, I don’t suppose it would have been difficult to get her to stop and talk to him. JMO

That makes sense.

“Quake” is such an odd chosen name. I mean he does reside in the new Madrid fault and all but still (Which ummm would be a totally odd namesake if that was his thinking)...anyway I find it very bizarre. JMO
I thought maybe it was a nickname, his beard does remind me of a Quaker in some of his pics.

Wow, that must have been very scary for you, being hit by a truck! Am glad you are here with us.

If Quake (what a name) did hit Sydney chances are there is damage to his vehicle.

But given her size (height and weight) it sounds like he pulled her into his vehicle, SA her then killed her.

What a tragic ending to such a pretty girl, an essential worker!

I hope he receives a maximum sentence in AR.

RIP Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member