Found Deceased TX - Maliyah 'Tootie' Bass, 2, Houston, 22 Aug 2020 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem. I hope I didn't make it seem as though I was calling you out on that post. I had hoped you read it somewhere. I still think I read/heard it in an article or in the press conference but apparently I didn't. :confused: Thanks for clarifying! :)

YaYa, I knew you weren't calling me out. I'm glad you did ask for clarification bringing it to my attention.

Anyone who has posted with me for very long knows I wouldn't ever purposefully post misleading information. So I deeply appreciate you giving me a chance to clarify my post.

I, like you, thought I actually did read too LE believed she had been abducted, but all I could find quickly was the post by NM, and my reply.

No matter who did this or whether Tootie was abducted or not her cruel murderer needs to be captured ASAP.

After following these kind of cases for over four decades now I've never become desensitized.

I know I will never be able to comprehend how anyone could look into the innocent eyes of children, and cruelly take their beautiful lives from them. But it does happen as we know all too well, and it seems it's so often now we are here discussing once again another murder case involving precious children.

I truly hope this is not a case where the suspect turns out to be someone Tootie trusted. Although its equally heart crushing if her murderer didn't know her at all or not very well, and she was targeted for evil motives we've seen play out in other cases like Tootie's. Either way, it makes my heart hurt for Tootie.

Has LE said they plan to hold another PC soon? TIA!

Whoever did this is a danger to everyone until caught. I'm sure no one in the community will feel safe until they know he is off the streets for good.

Imo, it takes a high level of diabolical evil to murder a little helpless child then throw her away like she had no human value. :(

Jmho

Foul play. Ugh. I'm still really hoping that this was neglect and/or "went into the house for 5 minutes to fix lunch" as the boyfriend says. That Maliyah's last memories were of playing in the playground. Maybe finding and "trying out" an orange floatie. How close is the Bayou? How plausible is it she could have found her way there on her own?

FWIW, those pictures seems recent and she looks happy and cutely dressed. But agree with other posters - I don't know what to make of the BF interviews.

ETA - your post made me think - do we definitely know it was just a few hours? Anyone else see Maliyah in the playground? Could she have wondered off much earlier? It's a bad day when one is hoping for neglect. Also could she have drowned if she was "on a floatie." Too many unknowns here.
AFAIK we don’t know if anyone else saw her at the playground or when the last time anyone other than family saw her for that matter.

Cupcakes father gave an interview early on and it was incredibly hard to understand too. His wife was also absent a lot of the time. There were a lot of opinions on it re neglect and possible revenge and it turned out to be a snatching of the worst kind.
Hopping back on my fence until more information is out.

Cupcakes father gave an interview early on and it was incredibly hard to understand too. His wife was also absent a lot of the time. There were a lot of opinions on it re neglect and possible revenge and it turned out to be a snatching of the worst kind.
I’m right on the fence with you.

Dbm duplicate post

Last edited:
So, for the purposes of investigation, "concealed" was defined in the article I read as put into water (not necessarily weighed down for example). It's just to make a distinction between that and totally left in plain sight. If she was floating, it was likely going to happen anyway due to body decomposition so thus far it doesn't tell us much about what the perpetrator may have done.

I think we must be missing so much needed verified information to make any sense out of this.

I haven't read the article, but did LE say she was concealed?? I'm so confused.

It makes no sense to say "concealed" and then supposedly found on an orange float. That is the opposite of being concealed imo.

Did LE say they found her body on an orange float? Tia

If not directly said by LE. I wonder if those who recovered her body put her on an orange EMT type of reflective orange float??

I've never heard of another case where a murderer put the victim's body on a float. Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing? TIA

Jmho

I think we must be missing so much needed verified information to make any sense out of this.

I haven't read the article, but did LE say she was concealed?? I'm so confused.

It makes no sense to say "concealed" and then supposedly found on an orange float. That is the opposite of being concealed imo.

Did LE say they found her body on an orange float? Tia

If not directly said by LE. I wonder if those who recovered her body put her on an orange EMT type of reflective orange float??

I've never heard of another case where a murderer put the victim's body on a float. Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing? TIA

Jmho
Placing a body on a float would be a new one for me.

Exactly, and he wasn't the only one by far who has been harshly prejudged, and wrongly accused.

I never consider anyone guilty based solely on how they look or acted when speaking to the press or during any of the time when the suspect was unknown, and hadn't been revealed by an arrest.

So I'm going to wait like I always do for LE to come out, and tell who did this supported by the evidence.

And I do think they will be able to find the killer hopefully soon.

Jmho

Sorry @oceanblueeyes I didn't mean to confuse you. In my original post I was talking about an article I read (it was a study commissioned by the FBI in 2014) that talked about methods of body disposal and what the patterns could mean as relates to offender/victim relationships etc. In that article, it talked about one pathway being a body transported and then "concealed" in water. I clarified that "concealed" in this study was defined as placed into water, it made no distinction between being left in water or weighted down to be hidden in water, for example. Both were considered "concealed" for the purposes of the study. Empirical evidence showed that when a body is transported and concealed (is not left in plain sight, or by the roadside) this is very often, but not always, correlated with an offender who wants to put time and distance between himself and the victim because there is some connection between them that could easily be confirmed (perhaps lives nearby, etc).

Sorry for the confusion, it wasn't an article specifically about Maliyah.

I'm confused. From this Fox26 account, the mother was inside the apartment watching Maliyah from the window. She looked away for a moment and Maliyah was gone.
Mother of missing 2-year-old fearing the worst as a child was found floating in Brays Bayou

KPRC interview with mother's boyfriend, he states that he was sitting inside playing a game and should have been watching her.
‘High probability’ body found in Brays Bayou is that of missing 2-year-old, chief says

In a previous account (I can't remember which local news station), the mother went inside to make lunch for a few minutes.

The separate live interviews with the mother and her boyfriend are very interesting to watch.

I hope I linked and posted this correctly. Please correct if necessary.
Ugh, I hate when the case gets like this with accounts changing. Sometimes it's due to poor reporting and sometimes those being interviewed shift their accounts or remember something new as time goes on. Sigh.

I'm not sure the mother was making a sandwich, only that she was making food for Maliyah and the boyfriend, according to the boyfriend. I think making any kind of food takes longer than 5 minutes - try it. My point is whether the mother was inside cooking or just watching Maliyah from a window IMO it was probably longer. Just an observation on my part.

Saturday morning, Sahara Ervin says her 2-year-old daughter Maliyah Bass was playing at their apartment complex playground as she watched from their window. She says she looked away for a moment, and suddenly her daughter was gone.
Mother of missing 2-year-old fearing the worst as a child was found floating in Brays Bayou

The apartment complex has perimeter fencing at least around the edges that I could see on Google maps so if Maliyah wandered off then she'd have had to navigate a complicated route in order to reach the bayou, either east then due north through a green area or else after crossing a highway. She's two so either would be quite a feat.

If someone abducted her then they'd have to have been watching and waiting for a moment where Maliyah was left unsupervised. So far LE hasn't stated that they've seen her on any video but we know for sure that Maliyah left the complex at some point. I'm sure more video will be looked at.

In the meantime I guess we all hurry up and wait...

Ugh, I hate when the case gets like this with accounts changing. Sometimes it's due to poor reporting and sometimes those being interviewed shift their accounts or remember something new as time goes on. Sigh.

I'm not sure the mother was making a sandwich, only that she was making food for Maliyah and the boyfriend, according to the boyfriend. I think making any kind of food takes longer than 5 minutes - try it. My point is whether the mother was inside cooking or just watching Maliyah from a window IMO it was probably longer. Just an observation on my part.

Saturday morning, Sahara Ervin says her 2-year-old daughter Maliyah Bass was playing at their apartment complex playground as she watched from their window. She says she looked away for a moment, and suddenly her daughter was gone.

The apartment complex has perimeter fencing at least around the edges that I could see on Google maps so if Maliyah wandered off then she'd have had to navigate a complicated route in order to reach the bayou, either east then due north through a green area or else after crossing a highway. She's two so either would be quite a feat.

If someone abducted her then they'd have to have been watching and waiting for a moment where Maliyah was left unsupervised. So far LE hasn't stated that they've seen her on any video but we know for sure that Maliyah left the complex at some point. I'm sure more video will be looked at.

In the meantime I guess we all hurry up and wait...
I think she left in a vehicle...but I'm not sure she was alive at that time
JMO

Good points, @MsMarple

I would add to that if she was abducted and murdered by an acquaintance/stranger, the type of offender who does this to children is always on the lookout for opportunities. So it only takes one moment of inattention. However, leaving Maliyah alone for a few moments could have been a pattern of frequent behavior that an opportunistic offender noted and watched for as well.

Watched videos of boyfriend several times. He speaks of the child numerous times in the past tense. She was smart. She was growing up to be something. Not once does he utter the child's name. Lots of theatrics and sobbing, but no actual tears.

I'm on high alert over here. jmo

I think she left in a vehicle...but I'm not sure she was alive at that time
JMO

Agreed, there is definitely going to be a vehicle involved. Which is good because 1. it gives another location to gather forensic evidence to nail the person responsible for this and 2. Someone took a risk by transporting her. That's more places that they could been seen by witnesses or tracked by cameras/cell phone data.

I hope all those RSO’s in the complex are being thoroughly checked out. They aren’t low risk offenders either. Most are medium and at least one high. That’s super scary.
I'm rather shocked that there aren't regulations / laws preventing so many RSO's to reside in the same complex. That would seem like common sense to me. It creates an environment far to dangerous for the families residing there.

Watched videos of boyfriend several times. He speaks of the child numerous times in the past tense. She was smart. She was growing up to be something. Not once does he utter the child's name. Lots of theatrics and sobbing, but no actual tears.

I'm on high alert over here. jmo

I felt the same.There was no sorrow in his eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley