Australia- Jack, 15 & Jennifer Edwards, 13, shot dead, West Pennant Hills NSW, July 2018

After her children were shot dead, she turned to Rosie Batty
Lucy Cormack13 December 2018 — 12:00am

‘The mother of two teenage children shot dead in their home by their estranged father had "lost all trust and hope" in police and a family law court system that ultimately failed her, says family violence campaigner and survivor Rosie Batty.’

‘The former Australian of the Year said Ms Edwards had lost all trust and hope, "and had every reason to". "From the initial police response, when she first reached out for help a long time ago...to her experience in the family court system. Those are the things she did share with me, which completely frustrated me," Ms Batty said.

"I really want people to understand [this tragedy] was exacerbated through the family law court system... that's exactly what it was, another example of the system failing.

"I did feel with her a sense of hopelessness...I felt that it would not surprise me if she made that decision...I don't blame her and I understand. I deeply understand."’

Read more at:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/after-her-children-were-shot-dead-their-mother-turned-to-rosie-batty-20181212-p50lvs.html

Last edited:
Women's safety advocates call for stronger family violence protections

‘Women's safety advocates say a range of measures, including technological monitoring and jail time for repeated breaches of intervention orders, should be considered to prevent a repeat of the murder of teenagers Jack and Jennifer Edwards by their father father in July.

The calls were made following news Olga Edwards, 37, the mother of Jack, 15 and Jennifer, 13, was found dead on Wednesday in the Pennant Hills home in which her children were shot dead in July. Financial services worker John Edwards, 56, shot and killed himself after killing his children.’

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/li...ily-violence-protections-20181214-p50mcb.html

The fact the cops dismissed her reports that he was abusive to the kids as "she's trying to preemptively get ahead for the Family Court" disgusts me.

Ms Cooper’s report on Olga’s complaint also noted: “Police do not hold fears of safety and believe this may be a premeditated attempt to influence some future Family Court and divorce proceedings.”

Asked why she had written this, Ms Cooper said: “The delay in reporting the incidents to start with, because they were 12 months prior.”

“She made mention that she was in the process of divorcing. When she didn’t bring the children back I just thought it wasn’t as pressing as she thought it was.”

She agreed her view was based on “nothing more than the fact there were family law proceedings going on”.

Not good enough!

At a hearing on December 22, 2016, Ms Morton advocated for John to be able to continue seeing Jack and Jennifer.

When she met with the children three days before the hearing, neither of them told her they were afraid of their dad, Ms Morton told the inquest on Thursday.

She has no file note of the meeting.

“I can recall that Jack was pretty keen. Jennifer was a bit more ambivalent,” she said.

Counsel assisting the coroner Kate Richardson SC described this as “surprising”.

“The evidence ... is that every other person they spoke to in the process, every therapist, family consultant, there’s at least four or five separate health professionals connected to the family law proceedings, they told their father was violent to them,” Ms Richardson said.

But asked “Are you sure?”, Ms Morton said “Absolutely”.

“I wouldn’t have recommended they spend a couple of hours with him if they had said something to me that had indicated that was not in their best interests,” she said.
Evil John Edwards who killed kids mistreated their pets

At a hearing on December 22, 2016, Ms Morton advocated for John to be able to continue seeing Jack and Jennifer.

When she met with the children three days before the hearing, neither of them told her they were afraid of their dad, Ms Morton told the inquest on Thursday.

She has no file note of the meeting.

“I can recall that Jack was pretty keen. Jennifer was a bit more ambivalent,” she said.

Counsel assisting the coroner Kate Richardson SC described this as “surprising”.

“The evidence ... is that every other person they spoke to in the process, every therapist, family consultant, there’s at least four or five separate health professionals connected to the family law proceedings, they told their father was violent to them,” Ms Richardson said.

But asked “Are you sure?”, Ms Morton said “Absolutely”.

“I wouldn’t have recommended they spend a couple of hours with him if they had said something to me that had indicated that was not in their best interests,” she said.
Evil John Edwards who killed kids mistreated their pets
I dont believe Jack would have been keen to see a father, he was so frightened of that he took a baseball bat to bed with him.
I think this lawyer is very lucky there is no one left alive who can contradict her.
I hope there is a special place in hell for fathers who are prepared to kill their children just to get at their ex partner.

I dont believe Jack would have been keen to see a father, he was so frightened of that he took a baseball bat to bed with him.
I think this lawyer is very lucky there is no one left alive who can contradict her.
I hope there is a special place in hell for fathers who are prepared to kill their children just to get at their ex partner.
And their lawyers who enable them.

I wonder what the statistics are of fathers murdering their families as opposed to mothers.

I guess the inquest will find out what his other families went through.

Abusers are spineless cowards.
I’ve seen it before, they’ll have a bad day at work and not say a thing but take it out on the little lady and the defenceless children.
This bloke is the prime candidate for the fires of hell.

I don’t think the lawyer is being honest. The only way they didn’t tell her the same as everyone else is because she had already made up her mind and they could see it. I mean she was supposed THEIR lawyer, not their father’s lawyer. It was her job to spend time with them and listen to them, knowing her actions could change the direction of their lives. But no, she had already decided what would happen and that’s why she interpreted the file information to support those opinions.

I wonder what the statistics are of fathers murdering their families as opposed to mothers.

Published 8 Feb, 2019
At least one child in Australia is killed by a parent each fortnight, according to a report into filicide released by the Australian Institute of Criminology this week.

Between 2000-01 and 2011-12 there were 238 recorded incidents of filicide in Australia, with 260 offenders involved in these incidents. Males constituted 52 per cent (124) of offenders and females 48 per cent (114).

Why 'rather ordinary' people kill their children

Published 29 Feb, 2020
How many children die from family violence in Australia?

I'll never understand how anyone, especially a parent, can kill a child/children.

I read about this tragic story when it happened but only learned today that the children's mother was found deceased. These sort of stories break my heart and seem to be on the increase. The appalling murder of Hannah Clarke (Baxter) and her 3 children who were all burnt alive by her husband in February shocked me to the core.

Published 8 Feb, 2019
At least one child in Australia is killed by a parent each fortnight, according to a report into filicide released by the Australian Institute of Criminology this week.

Between 2000-01 and 2011-12 there were 238 recorded incidents of filicide in Australia, with 260 offenders involved in these incidents. Males constituted 52 per cent (124) of offenders and females 48 per cent (114).

Why 'rather ordinary' people kill their children

Published 29 Feb, 2020
How many children die from family violence in Australia?

I'll never understand how anyone, especially a parent, can kill a child/children.

I read about this tragic story when it happened but only learned today that the children's mother was found deceased. These sort of stories break my heart and seem to be on the increase. The appalling murder of Hannah Clarke (Baxter) and her 3 children who were all burnt alive by her husband in February shocked me to the core.

I knew that fathers and mothers were equally as likely to kill their children but I do wonder specifically about killing children to get back at the ex. That does seem to be more of a male thing.

I suspect this to be the case, based on this too:
However, within this, females were more likely to be responsible for neglect, whereas male offenders were responsible for physical, emotional and sexual abuse.

In terms of filicide, the recent report found the method of killing varied between genders, with males more likely to use more violent methods.

After shooting dead his two children, John Edwards put a black T-shirt on a wire hanger and hung it off a chest of drawers at the foot of his bed.

Three words were printed on the shirt: “World’s Greatest Daddy.”

The sickening scene was discovered by officers who arrived at John’s Normanhurst home, in Sydney’s northwest, to arrest him for the murders.

They found him lifeless on his bed after taking his own life.

Evil dad’s twisted final act

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back