ME ME - Thomas Grant Jacoby, 18, sent letter after missing, Millinocket, August 1991

chaddylex

Verified local - Rebecca Stahl case
Reaction score
Thomas Grant Jacoby – The Charley Project
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Details of Disappearance
Jacoby disappeared from his father's Gretna, Pennsylvania home on July 1, 1991. When his father said goodbye to him, he thought he was going to the local high school, where he worked odd jobs. He never returned, however. He had never stayed away from home overnight before without letting his parents know.

The next day, Jacoby's girlfriend got a letter in the mail from him. It had been mailed locally and said in it he wrote that he had been struggling with some things for two years and was leaving, and that probably she would never see him again. He asked her to forward the letter to his father, and apologized for getting her in the middle of the situation.

A few days later, a second letter arrived, this one from Portland, Maine. Jacoby wrote that he'd driven 700 miles to Maine and had camped out overnight where he could hear the loon calls. He said he had "made a mess of things" and added, "I’m not where I want to be yet; I will be in a day or two." He stated that if he ever returned, it would be of his own volition, but he also said that by the time she received the letter he would have been dead for two days. It was signed with his initials "TJ", which Jacoby rarely used.

Jacoby's girlfriend believes the "mess" he referred to was his family; he was distressed that it had broken up. His parents had divorced in 1980. Three days prior to his disappearance his mother, whom he was close to, had moved away to another state. Meanwhile his sister had moved out to attend graduate school, and his high school classmates had all graduated were all going their separate ways attending different colleges or joining the military.

Jacoby's loved ones informed the police in Pennsylvania and Maine about his disappearance, but there was no evidence as to where in Maine he actually was. In November 1991, his car was found abandoned at a public parking area near Millinocket Lake in Millinocket, a small town in central Maine. Authorities determined the vehicle had been parked in the same place since August of that year. Locked inside the glove compartment were Jacoby's wallet and car keys. There was also some loose change, including Canadian money. A backpack, sleeping bag, tent, a second set of car keys, a .38 caliber pistol and Jacoby's ten-speed Shogun bicycle were missing.

Later that month, Jacoby's sleeping bag and tent were found in a trash bin at the Twin Hills picnic area on Milo Road. The find was not reported to police until November 1992, the day after his bicycle was discovered in a remote wooded area between a state road and a private logging road, about a mile north of Millinocket Lake. When the bicycle was located, it appeared to have been thrown up over an embankment, as if hastily abandoned. The pistol has never been recovered.

According to Jacoby's family, he enjoyed outdoor pursuits such as hunting and fishing as well as sports, and was not involved with alcohol or drugs. He had graduated high school that year and had been accepted to Juniata College, where he planned to play football. They were baffled by his sudden departure for Maine and had had no idea he was having any problems. One theory is that he planned to hike the Appalachian Trail, the entrance of which is in Baxter State Park, not far from Millinocket. There were possible sightings of him on the trail, but none were confirmed.

The Millinocket area is frequented by hunters, hikers and fishermen, and as none of them have found Jacoby's body in the intervening years, his family hopes he is still alive. His case remains unsolved.

Thomas Grant Jacoby
jacoby_thomas.jpg
jacoby_thomas2.jpg
jacoby_thomas3.jpg
jacoby_thomas4.jpg

Jacoby, circa 1991

Missing Since: 08/01/1991
Missing From: Millinocket, Maine
Classification: Endangered Missing
Sex: Male
Race: White
Height: 5'10” - 5'11”
Weight: 165 pounds
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Jacoby has a small birthmark above his right eye.

Interesting case. My first thought when looking at his pictures was that he looked a lot older than 18, I wouldn't have thought he was a teenage boy. More like in his mid or late 20s.

It's been almost 30 years now since he went missing. Unfortunately, I think a suicide is very likely here.

Article from 2002: Missing teen still baffles police Man fled from Pa. to Maine in 1991

"Ondeck [Thomas' girlfriend at the time of his disappearance] would like to think Jacoby is still alive. She said he was not involved in drugs or alcohol, and enjoyed the outdoors. After a trip to a park in their home state, Jacoby and Ondeck had agreed that they would meet each other on the same spot eight years from that day. Ondeck said she kept her promise and returned to the park but Jacoby never showed.

“I think he is alive,” Ondeck said. “I’d like to think he’s alive and doing what he wants to be doing.” She said a comment attributed to Jacoby in his high school yearbook seemed odd now. It read that 15 years from now he would be living up north with a pack of wild animals.

Dale Clukey too, believes Jacoby is still alive. He said the area where Jacoby vanished is frequented by hunters, fishermen and hikers. “There’s never been any positive indications of his death,” he said."

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Details of Disappearance
Jacoby disappeared from his father's Gretna, Pennsylvania home on July 1, 1991. When his father said goodbye to him, he thought he was going to the local high school, where he worked odd jobs. He never returned, however. He had never stayed away from home overnight before without letting his parents know.

The next day, Jacoby's girlfriend got a letter in the mail from him. It had been mailed locally and said in it he wrote that he had been struggling with some things for two years and was leaving, and that probably she would never see him again. He asked her to forward the letter to his father, and apologized for getting her in the middle of the situation.

A few days later, a second letter arrived, this one from Portland, Maine. Jacoby wrote that he'd driven 700 miles to Maine and had camped out overnight where he could hear the loon calls. He said he had "made a mess of things" and added, "I’m not where I want to be yet; I will be in a day or two." He stated that if he ever returned, it would be of his own volition, but he also said that by the time she received the letter he would have been dead for two days. It was signed with his initials "TJ", which Jacoby rarely used.

Jacoby's girlfriend believes the "mess" he referred to was his family; he was distressed that it had broken up. His parents had divorced in 1980. Three days prior to his disappearance his mother, whom he was close to, had moved away to another state. Meanwhile his sister had moved out to attend graduate school, and his high school classmates had all graduated were all going their separate ways attending different colleges or joining the military.

Jacoby's loved ones informed the police in Pennsylvania and Maine about his disappearance, but there was no evidence as to where in Maine he actually was. In November 1991, his car was found abandoned at a public parking area near Millinocket Lake in Millinocket, a small town in central Maine. Authorities determined the vehicle had been parked in the same place since August of that year. Locked inside the glove compartment were Jacoby's wallet and car keys. There was also some loose change, including Canadian money. A backpack, sleeping bag, tent, a second set of car keys, a .38 caliber pistol and Jacoby's ten-speed Shogun bicycle were missing.

Later that month, Jacoby's sleeping bag and tent were found in a trash bin at the Twin Hills picnic area on Milo Road. The find was not reported to police until November 1992, the day after his bicycle was discovered in a remote wooded area between a state road and a private logging road, about a mile north of Millinocket Lake. When the bicycle was located, it appeared to have been thrown up over an embankment, as if hastily abandoned. The pistol has never been recovered.

According to Jacoby's family, he enjoyed outdoor pursuits such as hunting and fishing as well as sports, and was not involved with alcohol or drugs. He had graduated high school that year and had been accepted to Juniata College, where he planned to play football. They were baffled by his sudden departure for Maine and had had no idea he was having any problems. One theory is that he planned to hike the Appalachian Trail, the entrance of which is in Baxter State Park, not far from Millinocket. There were possible sightings of him on the trail, but none were confirmed.

The Millinocket area is frequented by hunters, hikers and fishermen, and as none of them have found Jacoby's body in the intervening years, his family hopes he is still alive. His case remains unsolved.

Chaddylex,

Thank you for bringing this case forward. This happened in my home state and I was not aware of it.

Hopefully, since technology has advanced so much since 1991, some answers to Thomas’s disappearance can now be resolved.

Chaddylex,

Thank you for bringing this case forward. This happened in my home state and I was not aware of it.

Hopefully, since technology has advanced so much since 1991, some answers to Thomas’s disappearance can now be resolved.

You're welcome. I just saw his profile come up on my feed in NamUs last week. I looked on The Charley Project to see they had a good bit written about his disappearance. I hope someone can figure out what happened to him.

Thomas Grant Jacoby
  • jacoby_thomas.jpg
  • jacoby_thomas2.jpg
  • jacoby_thomas3.jpg
  • jacoby_thomas4.jpg
Jacoby, circa 1991

• Missing Since08/01/1991
  • Missing FromMillinocket, Maine
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexMale
  • RaceWhite
  • Age18 years old
  • Height and Weight5'10 - 5'11, 165 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Brown hair, brown/hazel eyes. Jacoby has a small birthmark above his right eye.
Details of Disappearance

Investigating Agency
  • South Londonderry Township Police Department 717-838-1376
Source Information

502UMAL - Unidentified Male
502UMAL.jpg
502UMAL1.jpg

Artistic renderings of the victim.

Date of Discovery: December 21, 1991
Location of Discovery: Hendrixville, Dekalb County, Alabama
Estimated Date of Death: August 1991
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Cause of Death: Suicide by hanging

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 18-25 years old
Race: White or White/Native American
Height: 5'11"to 6'1"
Weight: 165-180 lbs.
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. Teeth were in good condition with several fillings. All wisdom teeth were fully erupted.
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Not Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Black Levi 501 jeans (size 33-34), a black button-front shirt, and white LA Gear athletic shoes (size approximately 10 1/2).
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
Hunters discovered the victim's partially decomposed body hanging from a tree in a wooded area in the vicinity of DeKalb County 51 and Alabama 227 near the Etowah County line. The man apparently committed suicide by probably standing on stacked logs and hanging himself from a rope tied to a tree.

502UMAL

The circumstances don't exactly fit but it happened in Aug after the letters stopped. The North Dakota thing doesn't make sense but it looks like this person was running from something. He bought a car in ND in August, checked in a hotel there under an assumed name. In his last letter he said he had 'made a mess of things'. He also said he wasn't wjere he wanted to be yet. Could he have meant he kept traveling?

The Doe Network
1075UMFL.jpg
1075UMFL1.jpg
1075UMFL2.jpg
1075UMFL3.jpg

Artistic rendering of the victim (by Samantha Steinberg)

Unidentified Male
  • Date of Discovery: December 29, 1992
  • Location of Discovery: Silver Springs, Marion County, Florida
  • Estimated Date of Death: 1985 to 1992
  • State of Remains: Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
  • Cause of Death: Suicide by gunshot
Physical Description
** Listed information is approximate
  • Estimated Age: 17-30 years old
  • Race: White
  • Height: 5'7" to 6'2"
  • Weight: 150-180 lbs.
  • Hair Color: Brown
  • Eye Color: Unknown
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Suffered from spina bifida occulta. Thin to medium build.
  • Dentals: Available. He had an overbite.
  • Fingerprints: Not available.
  • DNA: Available.
Clothing & Personal Items
  • Clothing: Docker pants, Hanes underwear (32-inch waist), Levi jacket, two T-shirts (size Medium) - one with a picture of a sailboat with the slogan "Rum Runners Bermuda" and one with "Miami Vice" bearing characters from the T.V. show, and Nike Air sneakers (size 10 or 11).
  • Jewelry: Unknown
  • Additional Personal Items: Sunglasses. A blue nylon Adidas duffel bag with white trim that contained a shaving kit, hairbrush, zippered gun pouch, and roll-on deodorant dated 10 Sep 91. A .38 caliber Charter Arms revolver (serial #7813) with rubber target grips and a barrel stamped "off-duty 38 special."
Case History
The victim's skeletal remains were located at a campsite in the Ocala National Forest 100 yards south of State Road 40 near the Juniper Springs recreation area entrance. Investigators believe he committed suicide by shooting himself in the head.

The Doe Network: 1075UMFL

Now I don't know why he would have ended up in Florida but they had the same type of gun. The deodorant was from Sept 1991 (I know it usually isn't sold for some time accirding to date stamp but still). His tent and sleeping bag was found in the trash in Maine in Nov 1991.

Missing teen still baffles police Man fled from Pa. to Maine in 1991

His family did alot to try and locate him. Can someone submit his case to the Doe Network and NamUs

Just an fyi, this notice has been up on DN for at least a couple of years:
At this time, we are not accepting Missing or Unidentified Persons new case submissions or updates unless they are from law enforcement or family members. We will resume accepting submissions from the general public once we have transferred all of our current cases into our updated format and have completed the backlog of new cases and updates. If you are a member of law enforcement or a family member, please continue to use the form.
BBM
Site Updates

Just an fyi, this notice has been up on DN for at least a couple of years:
At this time, we are not accepting Missing or Unidentified Persons new case submissions or updates unless they are from law enforcement or family members. We will resume accepting submissions from the general public once we have transferred all of our current cases into our updated format and have completed the backlog of new cases and updates. If you are a member of law enforcement or a family member, please continue to use the form.
BBM
Site Updates
Thank you! I was wanting to fill out a pontential match on the Doe Network and I know the missing and unidentified both need NamUS and Doe Network casefiles to fill out.

Thank you! I was wanting to fill out a pontential match on the Doe Network and I know the missing and unidentified both need NamUS and Doe Network casefiles to fill out.

I'm fairly certain that you don't need the NamUs case file numbers/links. There's no asterisk in front of the spaces for NamUs info on the form. But you do need DN numbers/links. The panel will review possible matches for cases on DN even if they are not in NamUs.

Of course, this doesn't help you at all since Thomas isn't on DN.:(
Potential Match Submission To Panel

Timeline and locations:

-Mon, July 1, 1991- disappeared from his father's home- Gretna (according to Charley Project), South Londonberry Township, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania

-Tue, July 2, 1991
- Thomas's girlfriend found a letter that was placed in her mailbox.

-Sat, July 6, 1991- She recieves a second letter postmarked from Maine- Portland, Cumberland county, Maine

-July 1991
- his tent, flashlight, and new LL Bean sleeping bag were found in a trash bin in Twin Hills Picnic Area off Milo Road. (Not reported until November 1992)- Dover-Foxcroft, Piscataquis County, Maine

-Jul/Aug 1991
- A hiker took a picture that Thomas's family identified as him. He was sitting on the edge of Copper Brook (his mother wrote to every hiker that signed the register at Baxter State Park in July and August 1991)- Baxter State Park, Piscataquis County, Maine

-Summer 1991
- A guide from Penobscot found scattered journal entries in an area south of Cooper Brook off the Appalachian Trail. Found near a Cooper Brook lean-to (the guide provided this infomation in November 1993)- TA-R11-WELS, Piscataquis County, Maine

-Sept/Nov 1991
- his car was found at a Spencer Cove parking lot near Millinocket Lake (of note Spencer Cove is not far from Golden road where his bike was found)- Millinocket, Piscataquis County, Maine

-Nov 1992-
his Shogun 10-speed bicycle was found in a remote wooded area near the state highway and Golden road (a private logging road). The area was a mile north of Millnocket lake- Millinocket, Piscataquis County, Maine

Training exercise seeks missing teen

Family seeks man last seen two years ago

Wardens may stage new search in man’s 1991 disappearance

1991 disappearance remains a mystery > Pennsylvania man hasn’t been heard from

Last edited:
Information on the hiker's photo and scattered journal pages.

"Robertson believes her son left his sleeping bag and tent first in Milo, then traveled on to Canada, where he obtained the Canadian money. She believes he then traveled back to Millinocket Lake, where he left his vehicle, and began to walk the Appalachian Trail.

Since then, Robertson has written to every hiker who signed the register at Baxter State Park in July and August 1991 and enclosed a photograph of her son. One hiker provided Robertson with a slide he had taken of a man sitting on the edge of Cooper Brook. The slide was later computer enhanced and enlarged enough for Robertson to make positive identification of her son.

The last clue in his disappearance may be the scattered pages of a journal that a guide from Penobscot found in an area south of Cooper Brook off the Appalachian Trail.

Because she believed her son might take employment with a guide service or hunting camp, Robertson sent letters about her son’s disappearance to Maine guides. But it wasn’t until he read a NEWS account about Jacoby’s disappearance that contained the fact that he was last seen at Cooper Brook, did Wallace Wardell Jr. contact Robertson.

In a letter to Robertson in November of 1993, Wardell said that a couple of years earlier he and others had found pages of a personal journal scattered through the woods, while on an annual fishing trip to Cooper Brook. On this trip, he noticed some papers strewn through the woods near the Cooper Brook lean-to. “They caught my eye because they were writing paper, not the usual litter left by fishermen or hikers. What it turned out to be was someone’s diary (daily log and happenings etc.),” he wrote. He said the men briefly looked at some of the writings and thought it quite peculiar that a hiker would discard his or her diary.

Clukey said if police had known about the journal pages earlier, the site could have been searched and it could have been determined if they were Jacoby’s."

1991 disappearance remains a mystery > Pennsylvania man hasn’t been heard from

Just to clear some things up, I noticed a typo in his Charley profile that it lists his disappearance as 8/1/1991 but it was actually 7/1/1991. (His thread title should be changed to July 1991.) First reading his case I thought the Aug 1st date must have been his last contact made once in Maine but realize now it's a typo.

Another thing is that Millinocket is in Penobscot County, but Millinocket Lake is in Piscataquis County. They are adjacent counties.

I can't find the Twin Hills picnic area where his belongings were found in a trash bin. The only place I could find (so far) along Milo road is Law Farm Nature Trails off Lee Cemetery rd.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back