Deceased/Not Found MD - Heather Grogg, 33, & Danielle Tyler, 18, Carroll Co, 6 Apr 2020 *arrest*

RSBM

also to add a little bit of Info the probable cause finding is also known as a preliminary hearing, prosecution typicall lay out the evidence so far and case so the defense can cross examine and also bring forth witnesses ect. In these cases, all of those arrested (except ED—??) have had their prelims and the judge found enough cause to send the case for grand jury for indictment.. I would be shocked if any of them get there charges dismissed at this point forward. I hope someone brings charges against ED I’ve said it multiple times- why is she not being held accountable for DTs murder? And HGs?

BBM

Wouldn't charges against ED have to come from Carroll County, MD? I don't know how involved Carroll Co. Sheriff is/has been in the investigation.

Thank you @CuriousQuiet1 and @Mayjunejuly for helping to clarify the legal process in WV. We appreciate your research and contributions!

All my own opinion

BBM

Wouldn't charges against ED have to come from Carroll County, MD? I don't know how involved Carroll Co. Sheriff is/has been in the investigation.

Thank you @CuriousQuiet1 and @Mayjunejuly for helping to clarify the legal process in WV. We appreciate your research and contributions!

All my own opinion
My opinion/interpretation of ED's preliminary hearing was exactly as you say. The judge in WV did not say she was not an accessory, the judge said if she committed a crime it was not in Jefferson County, WV so the court there has no jurisdiction to charge her. The judge said ED's involvement happened in Carroll County so she should be tried there.

...Magistrate Vicki D’Angelo found insufficient probable cause to support two accessory to murder charges filed against Day....

D’Angelo, evaluating West Virginia criminal law, ruled that Day could not be held accountable for accessory to Riddle’s murder because his murder occurred in Jefferson County and not in Carroll County, Maryland, where Day’s Westminster apartment is. Any such charges against Day, if any would be filed, would have to be brought in Carroll County, D’Angelo determined.

My opinion/interpretation of ED's preliminary hearing was exactly as you say. The judge in WV did not say she was not an accessory, the judge said if she committed a crime it was not in Jefferson County, WV so the court there has no jurisdiction to charge her. The judge said ED's involvement happened in Carroll County so she should be tried there.

...Magistrate Vicki D’Angelo found insufficient probable cause to support two accessory to murder charges filed against Day....

D’Angelo, evaluating West Virginia criminal law, ruled that Day could not be held accountable for accessory to Riddle’s murder because his murder occurred in Jefferson County and not in Carroll County, Maryland, where Day’s Westminster apartment is. Any such charges against Day, if any would be filed, would have to be brought in Carroll County, D’Angelo determined.
I hope the wheels of justice are turning in Carroll County. I actually have a lot of faith in the investigators and DA’s office. I welcome opinions from others who know more than me.
I know this is complicated but no one deserves to be brutally murdered...

I hope the wheels of justice are turning in Carroll County. I actually have a lot of faith in the investigators and DA’s office. I welcome opinions from others who know more than me.

I believe there is more to come. Such a complicated case is going to take time to put together.

My own opinion only.

What bothers me is any possible accessory to murder charge in Carroll County for ED requires the police and the DA in Carroll County to commit resources to a murder that happened and was investigated in another state. I'm not sure Carroll County LE will have the money or the manpower to do that, especially given the current climate of economic problems.

MOO, if ED handed out rubber gloves after JR was stabbed I cut her some slack for trying to protect her home and her kids from LE that she sees as a threat. But bringing 2 little kids to a trailer where you know 2 innocent people will be murdered while your kids are there... I can't forgive that. Anybody that makes that kind of a premeditated decision (the trailer was well over an hour drive away) whether on drugs or not should never be given custody of her children again. MOO.

Someone posted here earlier that maybe ED was doing what she could within the framework of living with a drug dealer that she was afraid of and being manipulated by. I have sympathy for that enough to give her leniency, if that is what was happening.

Just read a few things on social media from Danielle’s mom that JS’s gf who knew the murders were gonna take place won’t be charged because she wasn’t present and that there’s no law for that so she is trying to pass “Danielle’s Law”. It would mean that if you know a murder is going to take place and don’t say anything you are just as guilty as the person committing the murder. What happened to guilty by association???

Just read a few things on social media from Danielle’s mom that JS’s gf who knew the murders were gonna take place won’t be charged because she wasn’t present and that there’s no law for that so she is trying to pass “Danielle’s Law”. It would mean that if you know a murder is going to take place and don’t say anything you are just as guilty as the person committing the murder. What happened to guilty by association???
Isn't that "accessory before the fact" which has the same punishment as actually killing someone? From Wikipedia:

"All U.S. jurisdictions have effectively eliminated the distinction between accessories before the fact and principals, either by doing away with the category of "accessory before the fact" entirely or by providing that accessories before the fact are guilty of the same offense as principals... It is now possible to be convicted as an accessory before the fact even though the principal has not been convicted or (in most jurisdictions) even if the principal was acquitted at an earlier trial."

Accessory (legal term) - Wikipedia

BBM

All my own opinion

For the first case of JR- yes charges would need to be brought from CC, MD—

however, she helped lure DT & HG down to WV to be killed. ED presumably knew what was happening, and also brought her kids because they had no one to watch them since they were going to kill HG... the fact she walked the kids into the bathroom, closed the door and turned on a faucet - not once calling anyone to help the girls-she knew her husband was killing DT- so I believe there’s enough probable cause to charge her as an accessory in that case. They just arraigned DS on the DT murder so maybe we will see some charges on her going forward I hope so.

Merrell coaxed Heather into sex as a distraction and then had one of his buddies shoot her? These guys are straight up savage and need to be put down like any other rabid animal.
Yup he coerced her into sex while having his friend kill her. Savage is an understatement to these monsters actions. Because keep in mind MM led DT on for a full month, saying they were dating- DT was under the impression SHE was MMS “gf” when in reality, DT was one of many girls MM slept with in order to get something from. He also was dating AB and she knew he was intimate with DT as DT was with MM @ the St Pattys day party at Her home (ABs home) and then when MM is heading the plan to kill DT and HG for being a witness, he has AB doing dirty work using her home ect and all the while he’s having sex with HG in order to distract her- he’s a fuc**** monster! Don’t get me wrong AB is no good either but MM is another level of evil .

Yup he coerced her into sex while having his friend kill her. Savage is an understatement to these monsters actions. Because keep in mind MM led DT on for a full month, saying they were dating- DT was under the impression SHE was MMS “gf” when in reality, DT was one of many girls MM slept with in order to get something from. He also was dating AB and she knew he was intimate with DT as DT was with MM @ the St Pattys day party at Her home (ABs home) and then when MM is heading the plan to kill DT and HG for being a witness, he has AB doing dirty work using her home ect and all the while he’s having sex with HG in order to distract her- he’s a fuc**** monster! Don’t get me wrong AB is no good either but MM is another level of evil .
Ugh... these people really are subhuman.

My heart hurts thinking about all of the victims in this case, but it hurts especially hard for DT. She was just so young and naive, and life dealt her the crappiest hand when it placed her in the path of a guy who embodies the worst of humanity. I feel so terrible for that poor, sweet grandma of hers.

Ugh... these people really are subhuman.

My heart hurts thinking about all of the victims in this case, but it hurts especially hard for DT. She was just so young and naive, and life dealt her the crappiest hand when it placed her in the path of a guy who embodies the worst of humanity. I feel so terrible for that poor, sweet grandma of hers.

your right, she was barely an adult, @ 18 years old and STILL A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT her life was cut short, before she has any chance at making whatever she wanted out of her self, it’s said she wanted to be a videographer & that she’s super talented, it’s truly not fair that MM had no regard for any human life, and same with DS ERD JS JB AB NB- none of them had any regard for anyone but themselves. I bet AB even encouraged the murder of DT, I’m sure in her Sicko mind she was jealous of the young and pretty DT... it’s sickening I hope none of those people are ever released from prison and they live everyday in mental anguish over what they did too 3 innocent lives and a whole community that are sucked by the fact these people are part of our community.

I think MM is quite a manipulator - he convinced all the players to implicate themselves in horrendous, unnecessary crimes to satisfy his own ego, to prove himself to be gangster. He misled Dani and led her to her execution, all the while shacked up with another woman. He apparently still isn't talking about where Dani and Heather's remains are, maybe hoping for a deal?

I wouldn't be surprised if he/his attorney tried to turn this all back on the others, or maybe an insanity plea? Whatever it takes to get as little blame as possible. I hope the Prosecutor can, at the very least, put MM away for life plus, so he can never hurt another human being or their family. You are right, Curious Q, he surely will cause serious harm again.

All my own opinion only

the prosecutor has the ability to bring murder 1 charges against MM in the JR murder- it will depend on their ability to clearly explain the situation and also depend on the jury- I would be simply shocked to see MM get out of this without a life sentence- it’s parole we must worry about he must be convicted of 1 st degree murder not 2nd otherwise parole applies in WV- only way to keep MM in for life would be a first degree murder or conspiracy to first degree murder charge. I would think from all I’ve read and the information on the prosecutor I looked up that we don’t have to worry about MM being found guilty- the Jefferson county prosecutor is out for MMS head and he has a good track record of guilty sentences (meaning he’s a capable in his job) I would be more worried about ERD- without charging her as accessory or conspiracy in the DT HG murders she will be free, she still is free and I haven’t seen any cases against her. Sadly I don’t have access to all the information the court and prosecutor has but I can’t figure out why she wasn’t arrested in Berkeley county? She was a clear accessory at the LEAST.

From your last link --

The sheriff’s office has also filed a criminal complaint for Emily Rose Day of Westminster, Maryland. Police have charged her with allegedly being an accessory before and after the fact, involving the murder of Riddle.

April Lynn Braner, 37, of Burnside Drive, Falling Waters, has been charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy in the deaths of the witnesses.

If this information is correct, I'm happy to hear it.

From your last link --

The sheriff’s office has also filed a criminal complaint for Emily Rose Day of Westminster, Maryland. Police have charged her with allegedly being an accessory before and after the fact, involving the murder of Riddle.

April Lynn Braner, 37, of Burnside Drive, Falling Waters, has been charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy in the deaths of the witnesses.

If this information is correct, I'm happy to hear it.

So, it looks like a criminal complaint against ERD was filed in WVA, not Maryland?

The article at that 3rd link states: "At the state level, additional charges have been filed at this point in these murder cases."

From what I found in WVA legal procedures, a complaint is filed, the magistrate determines probable cause, charges are filed and a warrant will be served.

"Rule 3. Complaint

The complaint shall be presented to and sworn or affirmed before a magistrate in the county where the offense is alleged to have occurred. Unless otherwise provided by statute, the presentation and oath or affirmation shall be made by a prosecuting attorney or a law enforcement officer showing reason to have reliable information and belief. If from the facts stated in the complaint the magistrate finds probable cause, the complaint becomes the charging instrument initiating a criminal proceeding.

Rule 4. Arrest warrant or summons upon complaint
  1. Issuance. — If it appears from the complaint, or from an affidavit or affidavits filed with the complaint, that there is probable cause to believe that an offense has been committed and that the defendant has committed it, a warrant for the arrest of the defendant shall issue to any officer authorized by law to execute it. ..."
http://www.courtswv.gov/legal-community/court-rules/Magistrate/mag-criminal.html#rule3

Any of the legal eagles on here want to confirm, correct or add to my assumption?

Just my opinion

RSBM
Are these new charges against ERD in Berkeley County or is the reporter just listing the accessory charges against ERD that were already dropped in Jefferson County?

I don't know - it's confusing. This article, Four indicted on murder, kidnapping charges in federal court , claims "At the state level, additional charges have been filed at this point in these murder cases" then goes on to say "Police have charged her [ERD] with allegedly being an accessory before and after the fact, involving the murder of Riddle." I thought it meant new charges, but you have a good point @CuriousQuiet1. Maybe it's referring to the charges from April.

There is no mention of charges for ERD being filed in Berkley Co. that I see ...

Just my opinion.

I hope not. These were heinous crimes and no one should get away with them.
There is so much evidence and I am sure they are ratting out on each other.
They should never see the light of day again. None of them!
MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa