OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it ain't far (based on what I saw when I toured the building 2 years ago, perhaps 50 feet or so) from where the stench in the building was reported by a Yelp user way back when.

I did not know this, further supports many of our theories that he is still there and was missed among the construction. I can only imagine how easy it actually would be to miss looking somewhere especially when things are changing daily. Very sad if this is the case.

And it ain't far (based on what I saw when I toured the building 2 years ago, perhaps 50 feet or so) from where the stench in the building was reported by a Yelp user way back when.

Do you really think it is uncommon for a Yelp reviewer to mention a bad smell?

Itsrak may have his own take, but I think it's unusual for a Yelp reviewer to use the word stench.

I just think the fact that a building with a college bar (which sells below average bar food and likely has more than a a few people throw up/week) and a cheap movie theatre that caters to broke college kids that also sells alcohol (when are movie theatres known to be bastions of cleanliness?) smelling bad is par for the course.

Using that as evidence that someone died there in a missing persons case is an enormous stretch and is more than suspect. I've been to nearly every place up and down High St and I couldn't count how many of them I would have said had a "stench". Did none of you drink in college? These places all smell....

I frequented bars multiple times per week in college. Never once would I have said a place had a stench. Faint odor of pee or vomit, sure. But stench? Nope.

A stench is an overwhelming, cannot ignore, smell. But that’s just how I would define it. None of this really means anything because we have no idea what the Yelp reviewer smelled or to what degree it smelled. Another dead end that doesn’t help this case.

I frequented bars multiple times per week in college. Never once would I have said a place had a stench. Faint odor of pee or vomit, sure. But stench? Nope.

A stench is an overwhelming, cannot ignore, smell. But that’s just how I would define it. None of this really means anything because we have no idea what the Yelp reviewer smelled or to what degree it smelled. Another dead end that doesn’t help this case.

I’ve been to a few bars over the years that smelled down right rancid and it could almost always be attributed to that little bar mat area right where the drinks where served. Wasn’t the supposed stench reported at the brand new movie theater. If there was an actual stench I think it would have been investigated by at least the building maintenance people.

I’ve been to a few bars over the years that smelled down right rancid and it could almost always be attributed to that little bar mat area right where the drinks where served. Wasn’t the supposed stench reported at the brand new movie theater. If there was an actual stench I think it would have been investigated by at least the building maintenance people.
Yeah, the reviewer noted the stench at the new theatre. He attributed it to the theatre's food service area. Which is reasonable. And of course that could have been the source of the supposed stench. Or not.....

I have been following Brian's case for a long time. I also follow "Find Brian Shaffer "FB page - it seems like many people on the FB page seem to think he is still alive, including his 2nd cousin. His case truly baffles me. I have no idea what to think.

I saw a video on YT of Alexis, Brian's ex fairly recently. She's married now (husband looks similar to Brian) with kids. Interestingly enough, I felt like in the interview she was plausibly talking about the fact that Brian may still be alive. I think she even says 'maybe he just upped and left' or something of that nature. It was interesting to me anyway, she seemed to at least think there may be a chance he's still out there somewhere.

Another theory which is ENTIRELY MOO:

That night, Brian and Clint want to score some cocaine to make the night a bit more exciting.

Clint arranged the drug deal/pickup and sent Brian to get the cocaine. The drug dealer, as a local, knew about the alleyway/construction zone that leads to the back of Wendys. That's why Brian exited via the construction door underneath the camera, because he didn't want to be seen picking up drugs. The drug dealer also didn't want to enter the complex at the escalators due to police being there. Who knows, the police may have even known who he was due to previous?!

So they agree the drug pickup in an area they know is mostly under construction, therefore off camera and Brian can enter and exit the complex without being seen to be picking up drugs. If the police suspected that of him, he'd have gotten in a whole world of trouble if they searched him.

When Brian didn't return, Clint knows that the drug dealer must've had something to do with it but he won't say. The drug dealer makes threats against his life if he tells the police ANYTHING. That's why he lawyers up and won't take a polygraph. Clint knows that Brian's disappearance is drug related and potentially a drug deal gone wrong.

I am interested to know also, would medical students like Brian and Clint be struck off from their universities for taking drugs? Surely any drug use in their profession would result in serious consequences?

There are no doubt holes that will be picked into with my theory, but the drug dealer could've even lured Brian into his car to get the drugs. Perhaps the dealer wanted more money, perhaps Brian wanted to pay less; but something went wrong and Brian was taken care of.

The dealer could've even told Clint that Brian 'ran his mouth' at him, something Clint would later say about Brian.

All just MOO but that's another theory for me that works.

Another theory which is ENTIRELY MOO:

That night, Brian and Clint want to score some cocaine to make the night a bit more exciting.

Clint arranged the drug deal/pickup and sent Brian to get the cocaine. The drug dealer, as a local, knew about the alleyway/construction zone that leads to the back of Wendys. That's why Brian exited via the construction door underneath the camera, because he didn't want to be seen picking up drugs. The drug dealer also didn't want to enter the complex at the escalators due to police being there. Who knows, the police may have even known who he was due to previous?!

So they agree the drug pickup in an area they know is mostly under construction, therefore off camera and Brian can enter and exit the complex without being seen to be picking up drugs. If the police suspected that of him, he'd have gotten in a whole world of trouble if they searched him.

When Brian didn't return, Clint knows that the drug dealer must've had something to do with it but he won't say. The drug dealer makes threats against his life if he tells the police ANYTHING. That's why he lawyers up and won't take a polygraph. Clint knows that Brian's disappearance is drug related and potentially a drug deal gone wrong.

I am interested to know also, would medical students like Brian and Clint be struck off from their universities for taking drugs? Surely any drug use in their profession would result in serious consequences?

There are no doubt holes that will be picked into with my theory, but the drug dealer could've even lured Brian into his car to get the drugs. Perhaps the dealer wanted more money, perhaps Brian wanted to pay less; but something went wrong and Brian was taken care of.

The dealer could've even told Clint that Brian 'ran his mouth' at him, something Clint would later say about Brian.

All just MOO but that's another theory for me that works.

Interesting theory. Thanks for the write-up!

For clarification, Clint was a PhD candidate, not a medical student.
As for university policies relating to drugs, punishment severity generally depends on where an individual is in his/her career. Obviously any drug infraction is bad and could lead to termination or expulsion, but punishments are generally much worse for medical students than practicing doctors. I'm currently enrolled at a US medical school, and I can tell you that I would 100% be expelled for most drug crimes.

The problem with him walking away from his life and disappearing intentionally is that he would have done it at the end of a night of heavy drinking, managed to elude every camera in the complex — or have the cameras conveniently not work, AND navigate an active construction area (while drunk) and then not be picked up on any of the surrounding cameras in any of the other places nearby or seen by a single person. That’s incredible luck. I can’t accept that a man can voluntarily disappear at the exact same time so many things conveniently fall into place to help his plan along. Saying that he knew someone who worked there who purposely turned off the cameras for him or that he was smuggled out in a guitar case is just absurd to me. Why didn’t he walk away on any other day? How could he know that after drinking all night with Clint he wouldn’t fall asleep on the floor and have to be put in a cab and driven home, thus scuppering his whole plan? Or get into a bar fight and end up dealing with the cops? Why flirt with a girl if you’re planning on disappearing for good 5 mins later?

The problem with him walking away from his life and disappearing intentionally is that he would have done it at the end of a night of heavy drinking, managed to elude every camera in the complex — or have the cameras conveniently not work, AND navigate an active construction area (while drunk) and then not be picked up on any of the surrounding cameras in any of the other places nearby or seen by a single person. That’s incredible luck. I can’t accept that a man can voluntarily disappear at the exact same time so many things conveniently fall into place to help his plan along. Saying that he knew someone who worked there who purposely turned off the cameras for him or that he was smuggled out in a guitar case is just absurd to me. Why didn’t he walk away on any other day? How could he know that after drinking all night with Clint he wouldn’t fall asleep on the floor and have to be put in a cab and driven home, thus scuppering his whole plan? Or get into a bar fight and end up dealing with the cops? Why flirt with a girl if you’re planning on disappearing for good 5 mins later?

Respectfully playing Devil’s advocate:

How do we know he was drinking heavily (I know Clint made this claim but I would argue CCTV footage contradicts this)?

How are we certain he did not take the back way home to his apartment, avoiding busy High St and the cameras? How do we know he didn’t leave the next day after a good night’s sleep?

How do we know he used the construction exit and not another establishment’s exit on the first floor, like Mad Mex, or the UTS emergency exit door that was propped open?

While I do agree with you on this I would also like to point out that although unlikely, it’s not entirely impossible. Jennifer Kesse comes to mind, how that worker appeared on only 1 camera and somehow was hidden by the gate at every frame seems like impossible luck. But yet it happened. Just throwing it out there.

<modsnipped quoted post>
Sorry I meant to say that my problem with him hitch hiking is that it doesn't really seem like a meticulously crafted plan. Hitch hiking is hardly the best way to start a new life. Particularly if there are missing posters of you all over the place. If Brian did intentionally disappear, then in my opinion he'd have planned it for a while and executed it precisely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Respectfully playing Devil’s advocate:

How do we know he was drinking heavily (I know Clint made this claim but I would argue CCTV footage contradicts this)?

How are we certain he did not take the back way home to his apartment, avoiding busy High St and the cameras? How do we know he didn’t leave the next day after a good night’s sleep?

How do we know he used the construction exit and not another establishment’s exit on the first floor, like Mad Mex, or the UTS emergency exit door that was propped open?

Whilst I am not saying Brian isn't alive, surely there's too much luck involved that he got through the UTS fire exit door (or another exit except the construction), then back home or wherever he went without being seen ANYWHERE on CCTV.

Or, was he just planning to disappear regardless and the lack of CCTV a HUGE co-incidence?

Let me use bullet points to put across my point:

• For example, how long did it take LE to establish that he wasn't seen on CCTV again after speaking to the two girls? I assume this would have taken weeks, if not longer.
  • Following from above; Brian wouldn't have waited this period out at his apartment or wherever, until it became a clear fact he wasn't seen again after that CCTV image and then thought 'now is my chance' would he?
  • Following from above, if the act of Brian disappearing was pre-meditated and intentional then he would have left the very next day or ASAP, therefore meaning the lack of CCTV is just a huge co-incidence or entirely deliberate.

So was Brian lucky that he wasn't on CCTV, or did he know for a fact that if he left through his nominated exit; he wouldn't be captured on CCTV and could disappear forever.

Are there any cadaver dogs that are capable of detecting a corpse through concrete? I know that the dogs detect scent particles that travel through the soil, so they might miss a freshly buried corpse (if those scent particles had had time to travel all the way to the surface). Can those scent particles migrate through concrete? That's what I don't know.

Sorry I meant to say that my problem with him hitch hiking is that it doesn't really seem like a meticulously crafted plan. Hitch hiking is hardly the best way to start a new life. Particularly if there are missing posters of you all over the place. If Brian did intentionally disappear, then in my opinion he'd have planned it for a while and executed it precisely.
So a problem with both witnesses. Though two witnesses with the same hitchhiking story is harder to discount than one.
I’m not sure what to think, but if he did hitchhike, maybe it was his way of feeling free. Cutting all ties and didn’t want to be found. There were reportedly some conflicts with his father. That would sure make me rethink my ties with a parent if they were doing what we have been told he was doing.

Also thinking of Into The Wild, a little different in that McCandless did start out with a car and then ended up hitchhiking. Who knows, maybe Brian was inspired by that story. If he had taken his car he would have lost his anonymity and could have been more easily found. Maybe he just said to hell with it.... including, or maybe even especially dad. All just MOO.

If he did hitchhike it sure makes me wonder where he ended up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member