CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyL

Reaction score
Sydney "Syd" West, who had been living in the San Francisco area since late-August has not been in any contact with family or friends since Sept. 30, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office. Her last known location is in downtown San Francisco near Chrissy Field, close to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Chapel Hill native, UC Berkeley student missing in California

Authorities said West is likely wearing dark shorts, slip-on Vans and has her hair in a ponytail. She stands 5-foot 10-inches tall, weighs 130 pounds and has blue eyes and light brown hair. Authorities believe she may be carrying a black backpack.

The sheriff’s office is asking that anyone who may have had contact with West recently to call investigator Ashley Woodlief at 919-245-2909.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article246216760.html#storylink=cpy

Orange County Sheriff's Office

120813625_2021016151363491_9090159060294437368_n.jpg

120949430_2021015808030192_7496966451113229348_n.jpg
120842875_2021016001363506_3837541745895265318_n.jpg

I wonder where in San Francisco she lives, because that's probably a hassle to go to Berkeley. Is UC Berkeley having in-person classes or are they're doing everything remote?
She probably lives in the dorms since she’s a freshman. I know some of the UC campuses are making the students live there even though they aren’t doing all of their classes in person. If I had to guess she probably took the BART into SF for the day.

Why was she by Chrissy Field and the Golden Gate Bridge? Did she live nearby or go there frequently? And how do they know that was her last location? Is there video?

Very worrisome. 4 Days is a long time.

Why was she by Chrissy Field and the Golden Gate Bridge? Did she live nearby or go there frequently? And how do they know that was her last location? Is there video?

Very worrisome. 4 Days is a long time.
Not a lot of info. out there about those details. A lot of people hang out at that park on the weekends when the weather is nice. I’m guessing they either have video or she was with friends that confirm she was there.

Last edited:
Just for the record and to be precise, Crissy Field is not “in downtown San Francisco.” The North Carolina sheriff is saying that, but I haven’t seen that come from SF LE. There’s a pretty big difference between downtown and a recreation area at the former Army base “The Presidio,’” now a National Park. There is a lot to see and do there as this describes:

With its breathtaking San Francisco Bay views, easy hiking, welcoming beaches and picnic areas, and wild open spaces, Crissy Field is a recreational paradise that has long been discovered by locals. The site has a rich history – first as a home for the Native Ohlone, then as an Army airfield, and later as busy industrial area for the military.

When the post became a national park, the restoration of Crissy Field - led by the National Park Service and Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy - was the first major transformation. Today, nature lovers flock to Crissy Marsh, a birdwatching hot-spot. Locals and visitors alike run, stroll, and cycle along the Bay Trail to the iconic Golden Gate Bridge. And the former airplane hangars and warehouses are home to recreational uses from a rock climbing gym to a trampoline house. History buffs are served up a fascinating story from the past at the Military Intelligence Service Historic Learning Center.

Crissy Field's 100 acres are bookended by two stunning picnic destinations, East Beach and West Bluff. Enjoyed by millions every year, the northern waterfront is the park's "front door," a threshold you will want to cross time and again. Parking is limited, but don't worry – the area is well served by the PresidiGo Shuttle and is best enjoyed on your feet.

Crissy Field | Presidio – San Francisco, CA

I wonder where in San Francisco she lives, because that's probably a hassle to go to Berkeley. Is UC Berkeley having in-person classes or are they're doing everything remote?

It’s confusing because some articles say she was “living in the San Francisco area” which would include Berkeley, and others say she was living in San Francisco. I’m going to figure she was living in the east bay...Berkeley or Oakland...and was on a day trip to S.F.

It’s confusing because some articles say she was “living in the San Francisco area” which would include Berkeley, and others say she was living in San Francisco. I’m going to figure she was living in the east bay...Berkeley or Oakland...and was on a day trip to S.F.

That’s what I’m thinking too. Most freshman live in the dorms. I’m not sure about Berkeley but a lot of the UC’s require it especially if you are from out of state. I’m guessing the police in NC are just referring to Berkeley as SF. I was just in Berkeley 2 weeks ago and it’s close to SF so I can see the confusion.

That’s what I’m thinking too. Most freshman live in the dorms. I’m not sure about Berkeley but a lot of the UC’s require it especially if you are from out of state. I’m guessing the police in NC are just referring to Berkeley as SF. I was just in Berkeley 2 weeks ago and it’s close to SF so I can see the confusion.

I grew up in the Bay Area and so the discrepancy jumped out at me. I don’t like the sound of this disappearance and wonder if she went to SF alone or with friends. I don’t necessarily think it would be unsafe to go alone on BART. Crissy Field doesn’t seem like a dangerous place in terms of accidents. I’m sure they’ve searched potential fall areas.

You’re right that it’s likely she lived in a dorm if she was a freshman.

ARE FRESHMEN REQUIRED TO LIVE ON CAMPUS?
No, there is not a residential requirement, but more than 96 percent of freshmen choose to live on campus.

https://housing.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/pdf/AE_OUA_190130_Yield_HousingFAQs_WEB.pdf

Do we know she's not at UCSF?

Oh - okay, I see that we do.

Most Berkeley freshmen cannot get a dorm but can get housing near the campus.

Perhaps she lived with friends in SF?

I actually first learned of this case because Sydney’s mother is in a FB group I’m in and she posted about her disappearance. I suggested she come here since I know there are resources for families with missing children. Not sure if she will post here or not. Unfortunately she didn’t share any info. other than to link the news article. I’m very concerned for Sydney. I’ve been to Chrissy field and it’s nice with a lot of people around during the day but SF is a big city and there are a lot of areas that aren’t so safe.

I don't know much about San Francisco except of course, admiring the Golden Gate Bridge and unfortunately what it's known for - suicides. I think they've installed prevention barriers now but don't know if they're 100% effective.

I actually first learned of this case because Sydney’s mother is in a FB group I’m in and she posted about her disappearance. I suggested she come here since I know there are resources for families with missing children. Not sure if she will post here or not. Unfortunately she didn’t share any info. other than to link the news article. I’m very concerned for Sydney. I’ve been to Chrissy field and it’s nice with a lot of people around during the day but SF is a big city and there are a lot of areas that aren’t so safe.

if she wants to post inside info, she can get verified as an insider here: Verified Professional and Insider Members

There are trails but I wouldn't call it hiking. There's no where you can be on any trail in SF where there aren't lots of other people.

The whole area around Chrissy Field has its share of homeless, crime and assaults. Assaults on women are a higher proportion of crime than in many cities.

I pray she is all right, but it is very worrying if she's the type that usually checked in with family.

Berkeley itself has its issues, but at least there are always age mates around.

And frankly, my own experiences with the SF police force (as recently as 6 years ago) aren't not positive (their clearance rates of crime are not impressive and it's hard to even get them to take a report...IME).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member