Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Ohio, political rallies (of either party) and peaceful protests are exempt from the Governor's and Director of Public Health's orders, based on the First Amendment. Governor DeWine still advocates for wearing masks and social distancing at these events, but they are exempt from laws requiring them, although recommended.

So far there seems to have been nothing done to legally stop them. Check out Minden, NV. Definitely against the law. Nothing done about it. What about the NJ fundraiser? Governor said he's investigating the legality. Will something be done? IMO unless LE is involved nothing is going to happen.

Trump rallies thousands of supporters at indoor rally in defiance of state COVID-19 health rules
I don't think local LE can stop them. They just steamroll over everybody. One would think individuals would have the sense to not participate, but apparently not. They just keep spreading the covid. Boggles the mind.

I don't think local LE can stop them. They just steamroll over everybody. One would think individuals would have the sense to not participate, but apparently not. They just keep spreading the covid. Boggles the mind.
The individuals catching and spreading Covid in the UK ATM appear to be students. I found some links earlier and will add.

About 40 universities report coronavirus cases

Nearly 4,000 students have Covid: 70 Durham University undergraduates are latest to test positive | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
I was thinking more that it would be almost like fondly remembering the disease that killed them and so many people and sort of like making it into a joke.

Yeah, I have to agree. Who wants a coin of remembrance from the government that killed them? That is a whole other level of twisted.

Last edited:
Nobel Prize in Medicine Awarded to Scientists Who Discovered Hepatitis C Virus

Interesting that Remdesivir, one of only a handful of treatments with emergency authorization from the Food and Drug Administration to treat severely sick Covid-19 patients, was originally developed as an antiviral against the hepatitis C virus.

Mr. Alter and Mr. Rice are now working on coronavirus research, while Mr. Houghton is trying to develop a hepatitis C vaccine.

I think it is a good way to remember a loved one who has passed this year too, whether from Covid or other circumstances. They are obviously popular.
Looking at it would remind me of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and masks in the year 2020 because that's what the ornament is. I remember the stories of friends and people on WS sharing the lengths they went to, to get those items, and the alternatives they had planned.

Way to go NZ! This is how it's done.

Covid 19 coronavirus: No active cases in community; 3 new cases at the border

All Covid-19 patients in the community have now recovered, the Ministry of Health says.

There are no active community cases - welcome news as Auckland prepares to move to alert level 1 tonight.

There are three new cases of Covid-19 today in managed isolation today.

The first two cases reported today arrived from Ethiopia via Dubai on September 23. They have been in managed isolation at the Ibis in Hamilton and tested positive at routine testing around day 12 of their stay.

The third case reported today arrived from Dubai on September 29. They have been staying in managed isolation at the Four Points Hotel and have been transferred to the Auckland quarantine facility upon returning a positive test result.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that zero active cases in the community was "another milestone" for New Zealand.

"I think we have been through enough to acknowledge we will go through different periods during this pandemic. This is a positive one to acknowledge."

Health Minister Chris Hipkins said no active cases in the community was a "big milestone".

I was thinking more that it would be almost like fondly remembering the disease that killed them and so many people and sort of like making it into a joke.

It must be a matter of perspective.

It's not intended to remind people of the disease. It's intended to remind people of things like growing lettuce in their gardens to use in case they couldn't buy toilet paper and sharing tips on how to make your own sanitizer or masks.

The individuals catching and spreading Covid in the UK ATM appear to be students. I found some links earlier and will add.

About 40 universities report coronavirus cases

Nearly 4,000 students have Covid: 70 Durham University undergraduates are latest to test positive | Daily Mail Online
We are not talking about students in the UK. We are talking about thousands of people in the US getting together for unnecessary political rallies in the US. It's a whole other level of unnecessary super spreader events, not uni students partying.

It must be a matter of perspective.

It's not intended to remind people of the disease. It's intended to remind people of things like growing lettuce in their gardens to use in case they couldn't buy toilet paper and sharing tips on how to make your own sanitizer or masks.
Lettuce?

Looked it up...Wow, really is a thing!

IMG_6467.jpg

Is Lettuce the New Toilet Paper? 16 Million New Gardeners Create Shortages

It is not the governments that have killed them but a pandemic. Do we blame governments for flu and Ebola deaths for example? The drugs that have been developed (by governments) have already cut the death rates enormously. The vaccines will save even more lives.
<modsnip> Humanity has known for decades how to prevent the spread of contagious disease. Our particular government (US) has chosen not to implement those measures, and here we are. 210,000 dead from a preventable contagion. Make no mistake, the spread of infectious disease is entirely preventable when you follow the science. Other governments around the world have contained this disease by following the science. We have chosen otherwise. And is shows. There is no excuse for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, but it is our government killing us. Humanity has known for decades how to prevent the spread of contagious disease. Our particular government (US) has chosen not to implement those measures, and here we are. 210,000 dead from a preventable contagion. Make no mistake, the spread of infectious disease is entirely preventable when you follow the science. Other governments around the world have contained this disease by following the science. We have chosen otherwise. And is shows. There is no excuse for this.
Over 80k deaths were preventable - I agree. But the rest weren't. Why aren't flu deaths preventable too? Noone gives a fig about them and more children die of flu than coronavirus. (See link below) Also, how do you account for the enormous differences between the individual states death rates?

DeSantis Says COVID Is a Lower Risk for School-Aged Kids Than Flu

Last edited:
Yes, lettuce. Right here on this very forum at the beginning.

Wouldn't you prefer a nice already-extant oak, etc.?

As for the "commemorative" ideas, they've been invoked before. I distinctly remember reading the story on SM of someone who said their school district decided to do the senior pictures even though the seniors hadn't been in school... so they got appointments, and went to the school. The photographer at this session, asked one of the participants (and, I assume, more than one), did they want an alternate extra photograph of the kid wearing their mask. Partly, of course, this choice is because that's what photographers do - bring and invoke oh-so-"wacky" props like my company always did at its holiday party; so people shouldn't have been surprised.

I bet upon the contrary that some were surprised to be asked this question; and that some didn't much like it either. For me, it would be like rubbing the fact that I had been done out of all my senior year festivities in my face to have to look at the cursed thing; but I bet some people did take him up on it regardless. I quite enjoyed the teeny masked green Easter Peeps that someone on the Net photoshopped this year, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther