Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not where I live. It is the 25-40’ish range not wearing mask ...but many others buying into the covid conspiracy theories, which IMO is moronic.

It's been over a month and a half since I've seen anyone indoors without a mask. I've seen mask-wearing pull their masks off after leaving stores and walking to their cars, however.

Quite honestly, what I would like for the health care workers is for them all to be THANKED for the huge service they are giving in every country.
Instead of petty and unfair insinuations being thrown around about them, to great crowds of people, being televised to an entire country and around the world.

Do people think this doesn't hurt these workers deeply? I would bet it does. As if they don't have enough on their plate already. SMDH

Eg: today (BBM)

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt has thanked health care workers across the country as Australia achieves a day with no locally acquired cases for the first time in nearly five months.

Australia records first day without locally acquired COVID case since June

Last edited:
It's not a matter of doctors "making up treatments." It's a matter of health facilities and services being able to charge Medicare 20% more than the normal cost of care if the person is diagnosed with covid.

That's not in question. That's a simple fact and you can download the Medicare Policy here.

This is where the "conspiracy theory" started.

With the CARES Act.

The fees set for treating patients with COVID reflect the higher cost of treatment and care. Medicare payments are often lower than the hospital's actual costs, which would be unsustainable during a pandemic, so a fee increase was called for. That does not support the accusation that doctors are falsifying medicare claims.

https://www.aha.org/system/files/2018-01/factsheet-hospital-billing-explained-9-2017.pdf

It's not a matter of doctors "making up treatments." It's a matter of health facilities and services being able to charge Medicare 20% more than the normal cost of care if the person is diagnosed with covid.

That's not in question. That's a simple fact and you can download the Medicare Policy here.

With the CARES Act.

All I’ve heard throughout this pandemic from experts though is that deaths are likely underreported, not overreported.

Excess COVID death study: 75K more died in US than previously recorded

And we know how Trumps words will be taken by his supporters because anyone on social media sees it everyday. They take those words and plaster them all over FB and twitter in the form of “covid deaths are FAKE NEWS” or the like, and the result is the same as it’s been throughout - many people not taking this virus seriously.

And the numbers rise and the deaths rise.

Words matter.

All I’ve heard throughout this pandemic from experts though is that deaths are likely underreported, not overreported.

And we know how Trumps words will be taken by his supporters because anyone on social media sees it everyday. They take those words and plaster them all over FB and twitter in the form of “covid deaths are FAKE NEWS” or the like, and the result is the same as it’s been throughout - many people not taking this virus seriously.

Words matter.

The deaths may well be under-reported, but that doesn't change the fact that "presumable" deaths have been added that did not test positive for the virus and other deaths are being counted as covid deaths when the patient tested positive but the virus might only have been a contributing factor.

Those facts have nothing to do with some people spreading false news or not understanding what's happening.

But, likewise, there's no reason to pretend those things are not happening when they are.

The fees set for treating patients with COVID reflect the higher cost of treatment and care. Medicare payments are often lower than the hospital's actual costs, which would be unsustainable during a pandemic, so a fee increase was called for. That does not support the accusation that doctors are falsifying medicare claims.

https://www.aha.org/system/files/2018-01/factsheet-hospital-billing-explained-9-2017.pdf

Hospitals charge Medicare for the fees associated with the patient's care -- and that's typical for all patients/treatments.

Then, on top of the actual cost of care, the facilities are receiving an additional 20%. I linked the actual Medicare policy that spells it out.

Why do we have people who are playing politics on both sides?

Only the facts matter.

Words matter.

I agree with this, but I don't think we have to push a false narrative just to "counter" those who think covid is a conspiracy.

With the CARES Act.

Perhaps people should read the policy more carefully ... starting with those who are espousing all of the 'false' covid deaths for 'extra' payments.

"CMS may conduct postpayment medical review to confirm the presence of a positive COVID-19 laboratory test and, if no such test is contained in the medical record, the additional payment resulting from the 20 percent increase in the MS-DRG relative weight will be recouped."

I agree with this, but I don't think we have to push a false narrative just to "counter" those who think covid is a conspiracy.

But isn’t the false narrative the implication that doctors all across America are falsifying records for financial gain? Yet that’s what was said at the rally and people are going to take that and run with it, once again downplaying this virus while numbers rise and rise and rise and rise and rise. I’m just an outside observer but this seems to me to be a big and ongoing problem in the USA. The messaging from the top is really shocking to me.

There's nothing going on that's shady, whatsoever. But he wants to discourage people from believing their doctors and the diagnoses given by doctors.

I will say that I had older relatives who went into the same "doctors are in a conspiracy to take our money" system of ideas.

If you think about it, it's very similar to ideas held by certain organizations who brand themselves as religions and anti-medicine. Why it has appeal with a broad audience, I do not know, except that my family members who went that direction were all people without insurance, with no real means of obtaining medical services, etc. They were not educated people, either.
Of course medicare is paying more for Covid patients, as well they should, considering the complexity of their care. But to say that doctors and hospitals are inflating the number of Covid cases they treat just so they can get more money? That assertion is evil and I see it all.the.time on FB comments on news articles. These are the same people who have minimized the severity of the coronavirus from the beginning...and guess who that includes?! :mad:
IMO MOO JMO

Great post Lilibet--- reality is always a good thing. This pernicious message from the president is so dangerous---

But isn’t the false narrative the implication that doctors all across America are falsifying records for financial gain? Yet that’s what was said at the rally and people are going to take that and run with it, once again downplaying this virus while numbers rise and rise and rise and rise and rise. I’m just an outside observer but this seems to me to be a big and ongoing problem in the USA. The messaging from the top is really shocking to me.

Shocking and very very dangerous

Nearly 150 COVID-19 Cases Now Linked to Fitchburg Church, Officials Report
More at link
A church in Central Massachusetts that shut down in-person services earlier this week after a couple dozen people tested positive for COVID-19 has now been connected to nearly 150 confirmed cases, according to the local board of health.

Officials have traced the source of a rising outbreak to services held at Crossroads Community Church in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, on or around Sunday, Oct. 18.

As of midday Monday, 28 coronavirus cases had already been linked to the church ⁠— and that number has grown significantly over the course of the week, rising to 35 Tuesday and nearly 150 by 3 p.m. Saturday.

https://www.masslive.com/worcester/...h-may-not-bring-relief-until-end-of-2021.html

COVID-19–Associated Hospitalizations Among Health Care ...
COVID-19–Associated Hospitalizations Among Health Care Personnel — COVID-NET, 13 States, March 1–May 31, 2020 | MMWR

Many nurses were hospitalized with Covid early in the pandemic
More at link
Since the beginning of the pandemic, 189,011 health careworkers in the U.S. have been diagnosed with Covid-19, and 767 have died.

The new report from the CDC zeroes in on a subset of those infections: health care workers who were sick enough to be hospitalized. The analysis is not a comprehensive look at national data; rather, it is based on 13 states for which such data was available from the first three months of the outbreak in the U.S.

"Without PPE, you lose to this virus:" Stockpiling orders have nursing homes scrambling
More at link
Nursing homes, small physician offices and rural clinics are being left behind in the rush for N95 masks and other protective gear, exposing some of the country’s most vulnerable populations and their caregivers to COVID-19 while larger, wealthier health care facilities build equipment stockpiles.

Minority US coronavirus contact tracers build trust in diverse cities
More at link
Kakoz is among a growing legion of ethnically and racially diverse contact tracers hired by local health departments to help immigrants, refugees and minorities protect themselves during a pandemic that has disproportionately affected people of color. One call at a time from Southern California to Tennessee, the contract tracers are trying to build confidence in America's public health system.

Countries that are now in lockdown, or imminently will be ...

Ireland
Wales
France
Germany
Greece
Belgium
England
Austria
Portugal
Scotland (sort of - tier system)
Slovakia (sort of - tighter restrictions, do not travel)

After a summer of eased coronavirus restrictions, Europe braces for a winter of tragedy
Slovakia urges citizens to postpone all trips abroad - Kafkadesk
Watch: UK PM announces second lockdown as country hits 1m cases
Covid in Scotland: What are the new lockdown rules?

I admire places whether it's a school, a community, a state, or a country, that take action to nip upticks in cases in the bud
I think that's so wise and foreward thinking

I don't like things that are left to fester

(And at my age, things that increase safety or wellbeing, are almost sexy;))

My view/thoughts

But even if there WAS some dodgy financial thing going on, wouldn’t Trump, as President, be able to stop that from happening? Who is he suggesting is paying this money to doctors?

I just don’t get it.

The more I think about your statements, the more I "hear ya"....
I remember just how compassionate Boris was, and how grateful he was for the NHS for his care when he was so sick. I really felt more for him as a person, when hearing his graces and gratitude.

We just get numb over here.... calling out China, the scientists, the WHO, the CDC, the Mayors, School Boards--it is just the way it is.

My biggest worry is the building PTSD that is swelling within our medical community. The front line medical workers should be honored, listened to, and protected. I think we are going to be losing many of our front line workers. There are so many stories of this at local levels all over the country. They are just so burnt out.....

Thanks, this has increased my knowledge of some basics. I had never considered that those "beak shaped" masks gave more surface area for the wearer to breathe. I have seen some on videos in places and thought they were so strange looking as I have never seen one where I live. Now I understand the design! Appreciate the link to educate! It's amazing what each of us bring to this thread to continue to build on the knowledge in our thread to educate others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA