Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think about this case often and wish for its resolution.

I get the impression that things are afoot—or, perhaps better said “aloft”—behind the scenes.

Unfortunately, this county’s sheriff’s office seems spread increasingly thin these days. I hold out hope, however, that they still have Barbara’s case on their radar.

According to the San Bernadino County Sheriff's dispatch call log, a dead body was found last Saturday morning (10/10/2020) near the intersection of Cedar Canyon Road and Black Canyon Road.
Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 7.51.38 AM.png

Here's a link to that location.
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

I gather that part of Cedar Canyon Road is unpaved, but it sounds like it may be paved at least as far as Black Canyon Road. (Google Street View only goes a short distance along Cedar Canyon, so that doesn't help confirm this.)

The location where the body was found is around 36 miles from the intersection of Kelbaker Road/Essex Road, where the RV was parked and the search conducted.
Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 8.03.50 AM.png

I don't know whether this body has anything to do with Barbara, or even if it has been confirmed as human. Because it sounds like the body was found at/near an intersection, it might be fairly recent. I can't find any media mentions of this, and it doesn't appear to be mentioned in a recent San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department Coroner press release:
Coroner Press Release – San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department

Last edited:
According to the San Bernadino County Sheriff's dispatch call log, a dead body was found last Saturday morning (10/10/2020) near the intersection of Cedar Canyon Road and Black Canyon Road.
View attachment 268090

Here's a link to that location.
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

I gather that part of Cedar Canyon Road is unpaved, but it sounds like it may be paved at least as far as Black Canyon Road. (Google Street View only goes a short distance along Cedar Canyon, so that doesn't help confirm this.)

The location where the body was found is around 36 miles from the intersection of Kelbaker Road/Essex Road, where the RV was parked and the search conducted.
View attachment 268091

I don't know whether this body has anything to do with Barbara, or even if it has been confirmed as human. Because it sounds like the body was found at/near an intersection, it might be fairly recent. I can't find any media mentions of this, and it doesn't appear to be mentioned in a recent San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department Coroner press release:
Coroner Press Release – San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department

Thank you for your post. I continue to think about Barbara, too. Is the information still there at your Coroner Press Release page link, @LAhiker? Somehow, I can’t find it.

ETA: Oh, sorry, I misread your post. You said it was on a dispatch call log. Can you send us the link to that? I’d like to see the page. Thanks, @LAhiker!

Last edited:
Thank you for your post. I continue to think about Barbara, too. Is the information still there at your Coroner Press Release page link, @LAhiker? Somehow, I can’t find it.

Agreed. I was saying that this reported DB (dead body, AFAIK) is not mentioned in the Coroner Press release link, though other deaths before and afterward are mentioned. I don't know why that is. It could be that something was wrong with the initial report, or it could be that the remains are still being examined. Perhaps they're from a long time ago? I don't know, but maybe others here know more about this.

(It also looks like that Coroner Press Release link only shows the results of recent Coroner investigations. There's a note at the bottom of the page saying that archived items aren't available online but must be requested. So I guess we could watch if a report about the 10/10/20 discovery appears at that link soon.)

JMO

Last edited:
I was saying that this reported DB (dead body, AFAIK) is not mentioned in the Coroner Press release link, though other deaths before and afterward are mentioned. I don't know why that is. It could be that something was wrong with the initial report, or it could be that the remains are still being examined. Perhaps they're from a long time ago? I don't know, but maybe others here know more about this.

(It also looks like that Coroner Press Release link only shows the results of recent Coroner investigations. There's a note at the bottom of the page saying that archived items aren't available online but must be requested. So I guess we could watch if a report about the 10/10/20 discovery appears at that link soon.)

JMO

So it looks like the body* has only been mentioned on the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office Dispatch Call Log. Here's the screenshot again -- I realize it looks tiny as a thumbnail:
Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 7.51.38 AM.png

The reason I put it as a screenshot rather than as a link is that AFAIK, you can't link to specific regions ("agencies") within the overall San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office dispatch call log, nor can you link to entries for specific calls. Instead you have to go to the call log as a whole and then select an agency. Here's a link to the call log:
Dispatch Call Log – San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department

Then select "Colorado River" and scroll down. This call is currently on the third page of results but will move further down as more calls are logged. Eventually it will disappear into "not archived online but you can request it" status.

*As far as I know, for the SBCD, DB means "dead body." If it now means something else, I'll have egg on my face and be sorry for bothering y'all. But I'm pretty sure it means "dead body." RTF means "report to follow."

JMO

Last edited:
So it looks like the body* has only been mentioned on the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office Dispatch Call Log. Here's the screenshot again -- I realize it looks tiny as a thumbnail:
View attachment 268097

The reason I put it as a screenshot rather than as a link is that AFAIK, you can't link to specific regions ("agencies") within the overall San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office dispatch call log, nor can you link to entries for specific calls. Instead you have to go to the call log as a whole and then select an agency. Here's a link to the call log:

Then select "Colorado River" and scroll down. This call is currently on the third page of results but will move further down as more calls are logged. Eventually it will disappear into "not archived online but you can request it" status.

*As far as I know, for the SBCD, DB means "dead body." If it now means something else, I'll have egg on my face and be sorry for bothering y'all. But I'm pretty sure it means "dead body." RTF means "report to follow."

JMO
Thanks for your polite patience with me, @LAhiker ! :oops:;)
I see it on the dispatch call log. Great find.
Barbara’s family needs closure. I hope we can see a follow up, the identity of this body they found.

View attachment 268097

JMO

I didn't mean to add to the confusion. Oops. Thanks for finding this!

However, 36 miles is a long way for her to have gotten by herself.

If the remains are hers, I wasn't thinking she got there by herself.

I hope that the coroner releases some info soon or that some journalist can find out more about the 10/10/20 call, such as were the remains definitely human; if so, were they from a man or woman; did they appear to be from a recent death, from one in the past couple of years, or from a death many years ago; could they tell if foul play was involved, etc. Even if the remains have not been identified, it would help to know more about them.

JMO

As we wait for more information to develop regarding the latest remains found in San Bernardino County...this VICE article published in 2017, written by Nile Cappello, provides an interesting crime related overview of the Mohave Desert, and the difficulty in locating someone once they are missing or placed in the California/Arizona/Nevada areas of the desert. There are also a few interesting links in the article for further reading. Still hoping Barbara will be found soon.
Murder in the Mojave: Homicides and Body Dumps in the California Desert

I hope Barbara is found soon, and the cause of her disappearance and possible death are discovered, including who was involved. It has been way too long, IMO, however I trust LE has good intel and are moving right along with their investigation.

Personally speaking, I have always suspected that she could have been abducted (with malice aforethought), held captive, then murdered, with her murderer(s) disposing of her body out there in the desert.

I hope the remains found recently are hers, and LE will be able to catch the person(s) who did this.

Bumping and praying for Barbara to be found soon, and if anyone was involved in her disappearance, that they be brought to justice. She should be walking her dog and reading bedtime stories to her grandchildren, not disappeared from the face of the earth with no trace and no public outcry.

All MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member