Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that always came back to me with this case, is when the VI made the below statement. I don't believe it got much attention here and was really discussed. The VI also kind of shut the discussion down as soon as making the statement.

there is a scenario i will not mention again, where robbie helps her disappear.
(From post 171, thread 3.)

While I think it's very unlikely at this point, that BT and RT conspired together for her to disappear (she was alive in this scenario) - it was still an interesting comment for the nephew to make.

IMO
BBM:

My interpretation of our VI's comment was not that he was suggesting that RT and BT conspired together to make her vanish.

It's important to look at the context in which he made that statement.

A poster had suggested in an earlier post that BT wanted to disappear.

I think the VR wanted to refute that notion, so he pointed out that there was another possibility, i.e., that RT "helped" BT disappear.

If you catch my drift.

JMO.

BBM:

My interpretation of our VI's comment was not that he was suggesting that RT and BT conspired together to make her vanish.

It's important to look at the context in which he made that statement.

A poster had suggested in an earlier post that BT wanted to disappear.

I think the VR wanted to refute that notion, so he pointed out that there was another possibility, i.e., that RT "helped" BT disappear.

If you catch my drift.

JMO.
My interpretation was same as yours. And another item that is difficult to forget, is that by RT's own admission, police believed he was showing deception on his lie detector test, and ever since he lawyered up after that, the case has gone nowhere it seems. Imo.

My interpretation was same as yours. And another item that is difficult to forget, is that by RT's own admission, police believed he was showing deception on his lie detector test, and ever since he lawyered up after that, the case has gone nowhere it seems. Imo.
This is a standard police interrogation tactic; a lie detector is an interrogation tool, not a "lie detector". There is no such thing. While it seems cruel, RT was subjected to the standard tactics.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Just some thoughts and speculation here...RT's lie detector results showing deception might have been a direct result of him feeling guilty about his behavior/actions that precipitated BT's unfortunate disappearance. Polygraph examinations seem like a psychological mind cracker tool to me...the examiner's main goal is to build a graph picture indicating deception by asking repetitive albeit differently phrased polygraph questions...imo, the ultimate purpose of lie detector test is to intimidate a possible guilty subject into a confession--the sideline is to clear a suspect. Getting a lawyer after failing a polygraph test seems prudent to me, especially if you are innocent. The FEDERAL PSYCHOPHYSIOLOGICAL DETECTION OF DECEPTION EXAMINER HANDBOOK is an interesting document to read...clearly outlines the examiner's question strategies, along with how to evaluate physiological responses to questions being asked.
https://antipolygraph.org/documents/federal-polygraph-handbook-02-10-2006.pdf

One thing that always came back to me with this case, is when the VI made the below statement. I don't believe it got much attention here and was really discussed. The VI also kind of shut the discussion down as soon as making the statement.

there is a scenario i will not mention again, where robbie helps her disappear.
(From post 171, thread 3.)

While I think it's very unlikely at this point, that BT and RT conspired together for her to disappear (she was alive in this scenario) - it was still an interesting comment for the nephew to make.

IMO
I followed this case closely, but don't remember that comment by her nephew.

By all accounts Barb loved her brother and his family, as well as her husband, son, and grandchildren. What value would conspiring to disappear forever and never be part of her families lives in her last years have? That makes no sense whatsoever, IMO.

I followed this case closely, but don't remember that comment by her nephew.

By all accounts Barb loved her brother and his family, as well as her husband, son, and grandchildren. What value would conspiring to disappear forever and never be part of her families lives in her last years have? That makes no sense whatsoever, IMO.
I agree. Unless I've mixed up details from another case, I believe BT was planning a trip to HK to see her brother that was reportedly on borrowed time and not expected to recover from an illness.

Just some thoughts and speculation here...RT's lie detector results showing deception might have been a direct result of him feeling guilty about his behavior/actions that precipitated BT's unfortunate disappearance. Polygraph examinations seem like a psychological mind cracker tool to me...the examiner's main goal is to build a graph picture indicating deception by asking repetitive albeit differently phrased polygraph questions...imo, the ultimate purpose of lie detector test is to intimidate a possible guilty subject into a confession--the sideline is to clear a suspect. Getting a lawyer after failing a polygraph test seems prudent to me, especially if you are innocent. The FEDERAL PSYCHOPHYSIOLOGICAL DETECTION OF DECEPTION EXAMINER HANDBOOK is an interesting document to read...clearly outlines the examiner's question strategies, along with how to evaluate physiological responses to questions being asked.
Pardon my memory but I only recall RT announcing on ET that he was told he failed his polygraph. I don't know for certain that he hired a lawyer. I think RT's announcement worked in his favor in that he's been silent ever since and not hounded by media. Unless he's innocent and truly trying to clear his name and locate his wife, what more can he say to help himself?

Pardon my memory but I only recall RT announcing on ET that he was told he failed his polygraph. I don't know for certain that he hired a lawyer. I think RT's announcement worked in his favor in that he's been silent ever since and not hounded by media. Unless he's innocent and truly trying to clear his name and locate his wife, what more can he say to help himself?
Yes, I agree...RT keeping completely quiet and off the media's radar seems to have been the correct decision for him...and I don't know for certain he hired a lawyer either, however, it seems to make sense that he did after his statement that his polygraph test showed deception and a lot of people were zeroing in on him as a possible suspect in Barbara's disappearance. Reviewing RT's demeanor during his video taped interviews left me with a mixed bag of feelings and thoughts as to his involvement in Barbara's disappearance...but he must have been in a semi-state of shock--assuming he had nothing to do with what happened to B.

I agree. Unless I've mixed up details from another case, I believe BT was planning a trip to HK to see her brother that was reportedly on borrowed time and not expected to recover from an illness.
yes, that is what I recall too--Barbara was planning a trip HK to stay with her brother for awhile due to his health.

LietKynes, Thank You for your detailed summation of events above. I was one that tried to document the timeline of that morning. "The dog Lexie was dropped off around 8:35 am." Was this stated verbatim the first time in this case? I recall the dog being dropped off right when they opened at 8:00 am. This is a small point, but trying to return home, hook up the 5th wheel and make it to the gas station in Needles for ice at 9:00 am pushed this to around 9:30 making the arrival closer to 10:30...This is NOT a major problem, but I was merely trying to point out that BT was unlikely placed between their home and the gas station that morning.

Hi, TMS !
Good to see you checking in here. :)

IMO, there are gaps in this timeline that are questionable.
I keep going back in my mind to the fifth wheel.

IF they were there at the hiking location until Barbara went "missing" according to RT's version to the relative sometime after 12pm and the 911 call they must have spent some time sitting in it.
IF everything was pristine and no signs of anyone eating or drinking anything, that would be odd.

About the dog, I have a theory based on another member's speculation that makes the dog being dropped off at the kennel significant to how the day unfolded.
I also think the kennel employee was the very last person to see Barbara alive. :(
Speculation : I don't know what happened to her after that.
Imo.

Hi, TMS !
Good to see you checking in here. :)

IMO, there are gaps in this timeline that are questionable.
I keep going back in my mind to the fifth wheel.

IF they were there at the hiking location until Barbara went "missing" according to RT's version to the relative sometime after 12pm and the 911 call they must have spent some time sitting in it.
IF everything was pristine and no signs of anyone eating or drinking anything, that would be odd.

About the dog, I have a theory based on another member's speculation that makes the dog being dropped off at the kennel significant to how the day unfolded.
I also think the kennel employee was the very last person to see Barbara alive. :(
Speculation : I don't know what happened to her after that.
Imo.
Barbara dropping Lexi off at the kennel the morning she and RT went for their drive to go hiking seems to be a point of significance to me for two reasons...the kennel receptionist/animal intake person said Barbara appeared upset having to leave Lexi at the kennel, and people who knew Barbara said she usually took Lexi with her on her motor excursions with RT. Perhaps, there is an explanation why she had to leave Lexi at the kennel that morning that could account for why Barbara was upset. But it wouldn't shed light on how leaving Lexi at the kennel impact the rest of her day with RT...i.e, did Barbara remain unhappy after leaving the kennel, and did not having Lexi make a difference on their hiking plans that day, etc.

Yes, and sadly, we learned that he did pass away. I don't recall how we got that information, does anyone know?

Aug 6, 2019
Lafayette man's mother still missing after hiking in the Mojave Desert with husband
We reached out to Robert to ask him what happened, but he directed us to his lawyer.

"Still frantically working on a way to get information to bring her [Barbara] home," said Robert's attorney, Eric Anderson out of California.

Also see:

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #10
repeating: eric anderson is no longer representing robert thomas, and declined to comment why.

Thanks for loading the handbook! I've always been curious about this.

JMVHO.

Aug 6, 2019
Lafayette man's mother still missing after hiking in the Mojave Desert with husband
We reached out to Robert to ask him what happened, but he directed us to his lawyer.

"Still frantically working on a way to get information to bring her [Barbara] home," said Robert's attorney, Eric Anderson out of California.

Also see:

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #10
repeating: eric anderson is no longer representing robert thomas, and declined to comment why.

RBBM

Wow. IMO, this speaks volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members