Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Oregon restrictions:

New restrictions in selected counties, including mine (Jackson) in Oregon due to rising cases:
From the link...

The recent increases are not the result of large workplace or school outbreaks, but rather the steady, building impact of people having parties and getting together with friends and neighbors.

Thus, counties with exceptionally high COVID-19 rates will have a two-week “pause” placed on social gatherings, from Nov. 11 through Nov. 25. Businesses in those counties are encouraged to have employees work from home when possible, restaurants and bars are asked to limit dining to outdoor seating or take-out whenever possible, and businesses are asked to cap their total capacity at 50. Visits to long-term care facilities will be paused. People are also asked to limit their private gatherings, too.

<snip>
“The two-week pause is intended to be a wake-up call or a call to action,” said Robb Cowie, spokesman for the Oregon Health Authority.

The new restrictions come into effect once a county has a rate of 200 infections per 100,000 residents for two weeks or more. There are separate metrics for smaller, rural counties. Currently, five counties — Umatilla, Malheur, Marion, Jackson and Multnomah — have crossed the 200-case threshold and will be put under the increased restrictions.

Oregon announces ‘pause’ on social gatherings in 5 counties, increased pandemic restrictions

The new rules include:

• Reducing indoor restaurant capacity to a maximum of 50 people, including both staff and customers, and reducing the size of groups that can be seated together to six people.
  • Reducing capacity at all indoor recreation activities, including gyms and museums to 50 people.
  • Limiting indoor gatherings to single households only, or a maximum of six people.
  • Banning long-term care facility visits that take place indoors.
  • Directing businesses to require employees to work from home as much as possible.
Current rules for faith-based gatherings will not change.

New COVID-19 restrictions ordered in Marion, four other counties

New Oregon restrictions:

New restrictions in selected counties, including mine (Jackson) in Oregon due to rising cases:
From the link...

The recent increases are not the result of large workplace or school outbreaks, but rather the steady, building impact of people having parties and getting together with friends and neighbors.

Thus, counties with exceptionally high COVID-19 rates will have a two-week “pause” placed on social gatherings, from Nov. 11 through Nov. 25. Businesses in those counties are encouraged to have employees work from home when possible, restaurants and bars are asked to limit dining to outdoor seating or take-out whenever possible, and businesses are asked to cap their total capacity at 50. Visits to long-term care facilities will be paused. People are also asked to limit their private gatherings, too.

<snip>
“The two-week pause is intended to be a wake-up call or a call to action,” said Robb Cowie, spokesman for the Oregon Health Authority.

The new restrictions come into effect once a county has a rate of 200 infections per 100,000 residents for two weeks or more. There are separate metrics for smaller, rural counties. Currently, five counties — Umatilla, Malheur, Marion, Jackson and Multnomah — have crossed the 200-case threshold and will be put under the increased restrictions.

Oregon announces ‘pause’ on social gatherings in 5 counties, increased pandemic restrictions

The new rules include:

• Reducing indoor restaurant capacity to a maximum of 50 people, including both staff and customers, and reducing the size of groups that can be seated together to six people.
  • Reducing capacity at all indoor recreation activities, including gyms and museums to 50 people.
  • Limiting indoor gatherings to single households only, or a maximum of six people.
  • Banning long-term care facility visits that take place indoors.
  • Directing businesses to require employees to work from home as much as possible.
Current rules for faith-based gatherings will not change.

New COVID-19 restrictions ordered in Marion, four other counties

The restrictions are scheduled to expire on the 25th which is the day before Thanksgiving.

So people will still gather with family indoors for the Thanksgiving holiday.
Go visit someone in a care facility.
Attend an indoor church event.

The restrictions are scheduled to expire on the 25th which is the day before Thanksgiving.

So people will still gather with family indoors for the Thanksgiving holiday.
Go visit someone in a care facility.
Attend an indoor church event.

Yes, I noticed the problematic expiration date. I’m sure these factors have been carefully considered by her crew. She’s done a good job with our Covid containment IMO. There’s a little bit of hope that she might extend or create more restrictions, but only if things don’t improve. Otherwise it’s back to normal.

“Brown said more restrictions could be coming in two weeks if cases continue rising. State leaders worry if people do not change their behavior, the spread of COVID-19 could grow out of control.”

Speaking as a local, so I won’t go rummaging for links, Governor Brown has faced recall efforts, lawsuits and armed demonstrations at the capitol when she put restrictions in place last spring. Parts of Oregon are militant libertarian or anti-government types. I think she’s caught between a rock and a hard place. The people who are already spreading it aren’t going to comply with the new regulations anyway. If she “cancels” Thanksgiving, she risks antagonizing even these quietly disobedient ones. Add them to the militant militia, Proud Boyz, etc and you have a mess. I think she’s having to walk a fine line, unfortunately. Now matter how hard a Governor tries to manage the pandemic, the citizens can totally mess things up, as has happened here in Oregon.
JMO MOO

CDC Report: Officials Knew Coronavirus Test Was Flawed But Released It Anyway
On Feb. 6, a scientist in a small infectious disease lab on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention campus in Atlanta was putting a coronavirus test kit through its final paces. The lab designed and built the diagnostic test in record time, and the little vials that contained necessary reagents to identify the virus were boxed up and ready to go. But NPR has learned the results of that final quality control test suggested something troubling — it said the kit could fail 33% of the time.
More at link . . . CDC Report: Officials Knew Coronavirus Test Was Flawed But Released It Anyway

CDC Report: Officials Knew Coronavirus Test Was Flawed But Released It Anyway
On Feb. 6, a scientist in a small infectious disease lab on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention campus in Atlanta was putting a coronavirus test kit through its final paces. The lab designed and built the diagnostic test in record time, and the little vials that contained necessary reagents to identify the virus were boxed up and ready to go. But NPR has learned the results of that final quality control test suggested something troubling — it said the kit could fail 33% of the time.
More at link . . . CDC Report: Officials Knew Coronavirus Test Was Flawed But Released It Anyway

I don't get it. Why was there a need to develop a test? A faulty one at that.

Hasn't the rest of the world been using the PCR test? Why couldn't the US use what we all use?

Maybe I am missing something?

Hasn't the rest of the world been using the PCR test? Why couldn't the US use what we all use?

I am going to attempt to answer my own question here, as I have just been looking for an answer.

It seems that WHO had shipped tests out (to 57 countries), China had 5 commercial tests on the market, South Korea had tested 65,000 people. The CDC had designed a faulty test. And bureaucracy would not allow US hospitals and labs to put their own tests together with the known primers.

In principle, many hospital and academic labs around the country have the capability to carry out tests themselves. The PCR reaction uses so-called primers, short stretches of DNA, to find viral sequences. The CDC website posts the primers used in its test, and WHO publicly catalogs other primers and protocols, too. Well-equipped state or local labs can use these—or come up with their own—to produce what are known as a “laboratory-developed tests” for in-house use.

But at the moment, they’re not allowed to do that without FDA approval. When the United States declared the outbreak a public health emergency on 31 January, a bureaucratic process kicked in that requires FDA’s “emergency use approval” for any tests. “The declaration of a public health emergency did exactly what it shouldn’t have. It limited the diagnostic capacity of this country,” Mina says. “It’s insane.”

The United States badly bungled coronavirus testing—but things may soon improve

The irony is it was an American chemist who invented the PCR test. He won the Nobel Prize in the 1990’s for his work and died last year.

Kary Mullis - Wikipedia

The schools here sent out a "matrix" to explain how they determine whether or not to close down the schools. Color coded, red, orange, yellow, green.

It looked like to me, that it was all red in every single area. And, my opinion is that next week, schools are going to shut down here. That "matrix" on the website was just the "alert" for the news next week. Covid rates in Montana are skyrocketing.

That was discussed waaaay back... so IIRC/MOO/IIRC lol

There was/is a rule that for a new disease, it had to be done in the US. Somone else can recall the federal rule we discussed was back on the threads. Researchers at many Universities (e.g. University of Washington I do recall was one) did make their own tests and applied to use, but were not allowed (There was an article someone posted just this week that went into it as the Universities were pizzzzzed... the Vanity Fair article? or ?? article??) And there was also a mentality of control at that time and mistrust of made somewhere else outside of the US. For some reason, the government wanted to do it - and in looking back..............well, less testing is less cases and all that iykwim. The FDA wouldn't approve a non-US import.

IIRC/MOO/IIRC

ETA: I see you answered! Your response is in line with my recollection... yet I recall that it also had to be produced in the USA at the time due to the process ..

I am going to attempt to answer my own question here, as I have just been looking for an answer.

It seems that WHO had shipped tests out (to 57 countries), China had 5 commercial tests on the market, South Korea had tested 65,000 people. The CDC had designed a faulty test. And bureaucracy would not allow US hospitals and labs to put their own tests together with the known primers.

In principle, many hospital and academic labs around the country have the capability to carry out tests themselves. The PCR reaction uses so-called primers, short stretches of DNA, to find viral sequences. The CDC website posts the primers used in its test, and WHO publicly catalogs other primers and protocols, too. Well-equipped state or local labs can use these—or come up with their own—to produce what are known as a “laboratory-developed tests” for in-house use.

But at the moment, they’re not allowed to do that without FDA approval. When the United States declared the outbreak a public health emergency on 31 January, a bureaucratic process kicked in that requires FDA’s “emergency use approval” for any tests. “The declaration of a public health emergency did exactly what it shouldn’t have. It limited the diagnostic capacity of this country,” Mina says. “It’s insane.”

The United States badly bungled coronavirus testing—but things may soon improve

These two families watched loved ones die of coronavirus in overwhelmed Utah hospitals

Oct. 11, Lindsay Wootton said, was among the worst days she’s ever had.

First, she learned her mom, Tracy Larsen, a 56-year-old who worked with special-needs kids in the North Sanpete School District, was going to die after a long battle with the coronavirus. A few minutes later, she learned her grandpa, Bert Porter, would, too.

In the father and daughter’s last phone conversation, Porter explained to Larsen he was dying. She told him that she was, too.

“I’ll look for you in heaven,” Porter told her. He was dead less than an hour later.

These stories of families and their death are so sad. I'm tired of daily lumps in my throat.

For three days in a row, the United States has set world records for numbers of new coronavirus cases.

We are at 132,500+ for today.

worldometers.com/covid

Just as Dr. Fauci and many others predicted. It could go way higher. It's increase by about 10,000 per day right now - but it could become exponential.

Illinois - I just don't know what to say, but if more states go down the road of Illinois, it's a tremendous strain on health resources. Over 10,000 cases in one day there (12.6 million people - this would be like California having more than 30,000 cases!) In fact, if the whole US does what Illinois is doing, we'll get to 240,000 cases a day - or more.

Texas really needs to get a grip (second place in the nation in cases). California is on the rise again. Florida has about twice the cases per capita as California.

Kansas, with only about 3 million people has 4700+ cases. I can't even fathom what this would be like if the whole nation experiences this.

I don't know what to say. I don't think anything will be done. But in a week, we will like have had 1 million new cases. 1 million. Of whom at least 200,000 will need hospitalization and many states already shipping people out of state, deaths per capita on the rise due to lessened care, all but the most serious patients sent home to fend on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member