Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staying sane in our new COVID-19 world
(re: How to Stay Sane in an Age of Division - a new book by Elif Shafak )

Some people have become depressed and solemn
Others have become angry and taken to the streets to protest against restrictions or science
Others are in denial that there even is a new virus and are convinced this is a manufactured hoax
Hardliners are more passionate, engaged and involved than many moderates
On social media ... extreme positions are the loudest and most aggressive, and the silent moderate majority is less prominent
One of these comforting lies being told is that we can have our pre-COVID-19 life back for the “acceptable” loss of some old and vulnerable people
Some families and friendships have become split over whether they think more about the collective health of society, or prioritise individual interests

Faced with constant stress and anxiety, she warns that one coping reaction is to become apathetic towards the struggles of others with numbness substituting for empathy.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32345-X/fulltext

Peel’s [Ontario] medical officer of health issued an order Saturday that will see employers fined up to $5,000 a day for failing to act to stop the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace, while also urging them to pay employees who need to book off sick.

“Spread of COVID-19 in workplaces continues to drive rising case counts in Peel. While most workplaces take great care to protect their employees, some employers continue to disregard the safety of their people and as a result, the Peel community,” said Dr. Lawrence Loh.

He added it’s also time for employers to “put people over profit” and pay their employees who are sick, because people going to work sick so they can meet their expenses is driving transmission of the virus.

[...]

Since the beginning of April, Peel Public Health has investigated more than 1,500 potential COVID-19 exposures in workplaces. There were 116 workplace outbreaks between Sept. 1 and Nov. 13.

Outbreaks in Peel have been particularly prevalent in manufacturing and industrial settings, food processing, distribution and transportation.

‘This gives us a bigger stick.’ Peel to fine employers $5,000 a day for failing to act to stop COVID-19 spread

Peel’s [Ontario] medical officer of health issued an order Saturday that will see employers fined up to $5,000 a day for failing to act to stop the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace, while also urging them to pay employees who need to book off sick.

“Spread of COVID-19 in workplaces continues to drive rising case counts in Peel. While most workplaces take great care to protect their employees, some employers continue to disregard the safety of their people and as a result, the Peel community,” said Dr. Lawrence Loh.

He added it’s also time for employers to “put people over profit” and pay their employees who are sick, because people going to work sick so they can meet their expenses is driving transmission of the virus.

[...]

Since the beginning of April, Peel Public Health has investigated more than 1,500 potential COVID-19 exposures in workplaces. There were 116 workplace outbreaks between Sept. 1 and Nov. 13.

Outbreaks in Peel have been particularly prevalent in manufacturing and industrial settings, food processing, distribution and transportation.

‘This gives us a bigger stick.’ Peel to fine employers $5,000 a day for failing to act to stop COVID-19 spread

He's right in that people are working while sick because they need the money to pay their families, but if the Health Minister was really serious about reducing the spread, he'd arrange for those sick workers to stay home and be paid by the government rather than by employers, many of whom are already struggling and close to shutting their doors for good.

Maybe some of the largest employers can afford to pay workers who are not working--for a short time--but many employers are very small; the lady who runs the bakeshop on the corner or the veterinary office with only three workers.

I find recommendations like this to be toothless because they impose an undue burden on small businesses, which are the backbones of most communities. If a government is serious, it takes on the financial burden, otherwise, small businesses will go out of business and that exacerbates the problem.

I think it was missed, yet touched on in Dr. Seheult's video above as to antibodies against the interferons. He spoke of that many that got the vaccine got such??? Can someone listen and see if they heard the same thing?

Yeah, that's always a risk.

Also, leads to.....The the mRNA vaccine or any vaccine will be seen as foreign by the human body, and may create an antibody against such for the future? The only yearly vaccine I know of is the flu vaccine.. and it always changes the target. We know it's because of antigen drift... but egads.... if the vaccines have to have a different target EACH year IIIIIIFFFF needed as the body creates antibodies to the vaccine itself.

This, I will be following VERY closely.

Good! I always appreciate your analyses and consolidation...........

Last edited:
Will they be free? 2 shots are required and price matters.

Dr. John Campbell in the UK is another great Youtube podcaster . He indicates the actual cost of the vaccine to be $19 each. The US government has contracted with Pfizer for the vaccine to be free. But where the actual vaccines will be administered could still charge. He is concerned about profiteering that may play out.

Hold Still - Hold Still Gallery

These are the top 100 UK photos that Katherine has posted about as to COVID impact in the video at
Majesty/Joe Little [URL='https://twitter.com/MajestyMagazine']@MajestyMagazine
The Duchess of Cambridge marks the end of the UK-wide #HoldStill community exhibition with a video message thanking everybody who submitted a portrait to the project. © Kensington Palace https://npg.org.uk/hold-still/ #royal #DuchessofCambridge[/URL]

Thank you so much for finding this and sharing...................

Jodi Doering
@JodiDoering

I have a night off from the hospital. As I’m on my couch with my dog I can’t help but think of the Covid patients the last few days. The ones that stick out are those who still don’t believe the virus is real. The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is going to ruin the USA. All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that “stuff” because they don’t have COViD because it’s not real. Yes. This really happens. And I can’t stop thinking about it. These people really think this isn’t going to happen to them. And then they stop yelling at you when they get intubated. It’s like a ******* horror movie that never ends. There’s no credits that roll. You just go back and do it all over again. Which is what I will do for the next three nights. But tonight. It’s me and Cliff and Oreo ice cream. And how ironic I have on my “home” Hoodie. The South Dakota I love seems far away right now.

I have this fantasy......

deniers will eventually feel shame about how selfish they are; and will feel empathy for our tireless, overworked and abused health care workers.

sighhhh.

Dr. John Campbell in the UK is another great Youtube podcaster . He indicates the actual cost of the vaccine to be $19 each. The US government has contracted with Pfizer for the vaccine to be free. But where the actual vaccines will be administered could still charge. He is concerned about profiteering that may play out.

MOO, may be analagous to the yearly flu vaccines in the US.

If I get done at my docs office, I could be charged extra for the visit and for the injection fee vs. the vaccine itself...etc.

So I always ask doc to give me a script for CVS/Kroger/Publix as that is all in one and covered 100%.

It's a "game" to know how to do it to not have the added fees of the office visit or the added fees if done in a doc office that is NOT done at CVS etc. And yes, I do believe that it will be free as is with Flu vaccines in the near future (I'm on Obamacare, but same ?)

Are algorithms at work?

In my FB feed, I have for months, been seeing so many studies being done for COVID vaccine trials and ads for signing up for.

My thoughts.... nope.

I don't want to go 2 years on a trial where I might be the placebo and not get one that is proven to date. I would prefer to wait to view all.. and to time when I get the one that I want and when I want vs. being excluded from getting such by staying in a trial whereby I could not get, not could I get the potential yearly booster which may be recommended.

We'll see.

He's right in that people are working while sick because they need the money to pay their families, but if the Health Minister was really serious about reducing the spread, he'd arrange for those sick workers to stay home and be paid by the government rather than by employers, many of whom are already struggling and close to shutting their doors for good.

Maybe some of the largest employers can afford to pay workers who are not working--for a short time--but many employers are very small; the lady who runs the bakeshop on the corner or the veterinary office with only three workers.

I find recommendations like this to be toothless because they impose an undue burden on small businesses, which are the backbones of most communities. If a government is serious, it takes on the financial burden, otherwise, small businesses will go out of business and that exacerbates the problem.

Actually, there is a government program available for exactly this purpose. It's called the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit. It provides $1000 for the two week period that a person is self isolating, or sick with Covid. It's not full salary for most people, but it's better than a poke in the eye. Employers can also apply for a 75% salary support, so that would make up the balance.

There is no financial excuse to work when sick.

Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan - Canada.ca

Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) - Canada.ca

State court systems across the country have significantly altered their operations in response to the coronavirus pandemic. Many courts initially limited proceedings to only the most essential and urgent matters, such as arraignments and restraining order hearings. While most jurisdictions are beginning to resume at least some of their normal operations, courts often are still striving to conduct as many proceedings remotely as possible. Jury trials are suspended or limited in some locations, although most states at least have planned strategies for resuming them.

Click on the states in below link to learn more about how each state court system is currently responding to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Court Operations During COVID-19: 50-State Resources

Hold Still - Hold Still Gallery

These are the top 100 UK photos that Katherine has posted about as to COVID impact in the video at
Majesty/Joe Little @MajestyMagazine
The Duchess of Cambridge marks the end of the UK-wide
#HoldStill community exhibition with a video message thanking everybody who submitted a portrait to the project. © Kensington Palace https://npg.org.uk/hold-still/ #royal #DuchessofCambridge

(Thank you for posting this, Dixie. It reminds me very much of a well known photography book called “The Family of Man” that was given to me as a gift by one of my college professors. Maybe some have you have seen it before. One can google some of the photos, if interested.)

—-

Colorado:

Colorado hesitant to issue stay-at-home-order over fear of economic ruin

Colorado coroner warns of uptick in COVID-19 cases | 9news.com
‘Hold onto your butts:’ Colorado coroner has warning amid statewide COVID-19 surge
El Paso County Coroner Dr. Leon Kelly warned of a difficult couple of months in Colorado if COVID-19 trends continue.

““The vast majority of outbreaks at this point or spreading events are those informal gatherings with family, friends, families getting together, neighbors getting together,” Dr. Leon Kelly said.“

COVID-19 outbreak infects hundreds at Colorado jail | 9news.com

“EL PASO COUNTY, Colo. — Authorities at a county jail in Colorado have said 911 of the 1,246 inmates in custody last Sunday tested positive for COVID-19, along with 73 employees.“

—-

COVID in Colorado: Contact tracing lags as cases rise | 9news.com

“JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colorado — Contact tracers can't keep up with the spike in COVID-19 cases in Colorado. They are now less likely to do a detailed retracing of steps and less likely to do it in a timely fashion.

“The requirement at the beginning was contact within 24 hours, which we were very much able to hit and it was a very thorough case investigation. We then had to scale back,” said Christine Billings, Jefferson County's emergency preparedness and response coordinator, who said they're now contacting people up to three days after they've tested positive.

If they can't get to you before then, you won't get a call, just an email or letter in the mail asking contacts to follow isolation instructions and get ahold of them to do additional tracing. Billings said they’ve had a “pretty good response rate” on that mail.“

—-

Nebraska:

“Health care workers in some hard-hit states have taken to social media to issue urgent pleas for new restrictions to slow the spread of the virus and for the public to take precautions more seriously.

In Nebraska, Dr. Dan Johnson, a critical care anesthesiologist with Nebraska Medicine, a major health network in the region, posted on Facebook about the crisislast week, saying that current measures were not enough to stop the high rate of transmission.

The state has seen new virus cases reach an average of 2,033 cases per day, an increase of 99 percent from two weeks earlier. In the state, masks are required at indoor businesseswhere close contact is maintained, and indoor gathering limits are set at 25 percent of capacity. Retail stores, restaurants and bars are still open, as are houses of worship.

“This means that individual citizens and families must take matters into our own hands. Strict adherence to social distancing is essential,” Dr. Johnson wrote. “If things get completely out of control, every family in Nebraska will be affected either by a death or by serious illness.”

On Twitter, Dr. Angela Hewlett, an epidemiologist at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, specifically called on the governor to increase “directed health measures,” noting that the number of hospitalizations in the state was “skyrocketing.”

“Our community and our hospitals are suffering,” she said. “We are not an unlimited resource.””

Doctors Call for More Restrictions and Caution as Virus Surges

Last edited:

If I get done at my docs office, I could be charged extra for the visit and for the injection fee vs. the vaccine itself...etc.

So I always ask doc to give me a script for CVS/Kroger/Publix as that is all in one and covered 100%.

It's a "game" to know how to do it to not have the added fees of the office visit or the added fees if done in a doc office that is NOT done at CVS etc. And yes, I do believe that it will be free as is with Flu vaccines in the near future (I'm on Obamacare, but same ?)

Yes!!! I only learned this this year!
Everyone should know this.....

Thinking about the 1918 Pandemic, I wonder what the chances are/what the percentage is of this virus possibly mutating into a more severe strain at some point in the (near?) future. This is a question I would love to ask Dr. Maria.

Last edited:

In order to get free flu shots, I have to go to the doctors office. If we go to Target, CVS, etc - insurance doesn’t pay for it.

Doctors office told me the antibody test was $80 but my insurance would pay for it so my cost would be zero. That’s good news.
As of last Friday, the quickest appt was Thursday. 6 days. Geez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milkjug