Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Yeah, we find ourselves getting closer and closer together at every gathering. Since we older people are the vulnerable ones, we're like wet blankets for everyone else. There are a number of very paranoid younger people in our family, who have done their level best to protect themselves and others, but they work in higher risk jobs (restaurants, hospitals, clinics, logistics). And the restaurants are in Los Angeles.

We'll have a very small post-Thanksgiving gathering, we hope, with desserts at a local park, socially distanced - 6 of us, total.

If just washing hands and covering our mouths when we sneezed or coughed were enough, we'd be back in classrooms by now. But as we can see, even with masks and social distancing, in college aged populations (and others), classroom contact of just one hour is enough to infect more people (and then more people).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I keep reading - 2 shots to get to that 95%. Side effects considered normal.

I also read that there's immunity after shot 1 - but they want to get us higher in antibodies. One interesting thing is that the 5% of Moderna vaccine patients who did get CoVid had a mild course, which is of course part of the goal (and the effectiveness was not lessened according to age):

Moderna's COVID-19 Vaccine Shines In Clinical Trial

I don't think they have any data on people under 12 or over 90 (the oldest participant I read about was 87), but I believe there were a significant number of over-80's in the various samples.

While Moderna tested on 18 or older, I did also see Pfizer went to include 12 year olds.

The others around the world have younger folks that I found at clinicaltrials.gov. (@10ofRods, if each company doesn't test children and do safety on such deomographic, does that mean they are exluded to getting that vaccine until safety and efficacy trials are done on that population, or can they extrapolate?)
  1. Sinovac is doing ages 3-17 safety and immunogenicity trials
  2. University of Oxford is doing ages 5-12 safety and immunogenicity trials
  3. ETA
  4. I didn't see AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson and just realized I left them off the list

Last edited:
That's what I keep reading - 2 shots to get to that 95%. Side effects considered normal.

I also read that there's immunity after shot 1 - but they want to get us higher in antibodies. One interesting thing is that the 5% of Moderna vaccine patients who did get CoVid had a mild course, which is of course part of the goal (and the effectiveness was not lessened according to age):

Moderna's COVID-19 Vaccine Shines In Clinical Trial

I don't think they have any data on people under 12 or over 90 (the oldest participant I read about was 87), but I believe there were a significant number of over-80's in the various samples.

That is certainly encouraging

JMO, but I think this article is pretty informative in terms of showing a timeline where reductions and closures in key govt areas led to such a disastrous Federal COVID-19 response early 2020. I think it's reasonable to conclude that the current admin made some glaring mistakes with their (mis)management of agencies and funding, while also ignoring the concerns and alarms being sounded by public health officials and medical experts.

A timeline of how years of missteps and budget cuts undermined the Trump administration's preparedness for COVID-19

COVID was first reported in December, 2019. In China. That’s why it’s called COVID-19. NO ONE knew much about it in early 2020. And it’s not like the Chinese were quick to alert the world.

UPDATED NOVEMBER 22, 2020 03:27 AM

Alexa's relatives began asking themselves all of the typical COVID questions before they were to gather for a birthday gathering on Nov. 1, weighing the risk versus reward.

The relatives agreed they were willing to share the story — even if it wasn’t good publicity and could attract judgment — so other people can learn, Alexa said.

“We were scared that my mother, the matriarch of the family, was going to pass,” she said. “So I think that fear in our hearts made us want to put an awareness in the hearts of others.”

OK, first I'll say props to them for coming forward, even though it wasn't good publicity, and could attract judgement, from judgemental people like myself.

But I come back to the very first line. Weighing the Risk vs Reward.

The Reward was being around 10+ people, Socializing, Singing Happy Birthday, and eating Cake. Sounds like fun to me.

The Risk was Death. And suddenly, more specifically, the Death of the family matriarch mentioned in the last sentence.

Somehow I am a bit suspicious that they truly were ALL vigilant through the entire last 9 months, and therefore a little "party" with a few in a safe "circle" would be fine. But that's just me.

Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m, we had 3,401 new "confirmed" cases for a total of 210,061 confirmed cases of which 116,305 are recovering (+573). 33 more were reported to have passed for a total of 2,192. There were 186 hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 1,340 (-76). There are 91,564 active postive cases with a 24 hr. postivity rate of 39.1% according to KWWL.
Here are the daily case group increases (numbers all match today): 0-17: 20,512 (+424); 18-40: 89,019 (1,219); 41-60: 59,831 (+932); 61-80: 31,819 (+662); and 81+: 8,826 (+164). Nov. 22: 3,401 new cases, hospitalizations drop below 1,400
access Daily case updates at 11:00 a.m.
Hospitalization Analysis Current hospital data

Way way back we discussed potential for cross reactivity for Antibodies resulting from MMR vaccinations to be protective.

Today's update focuses on such. And correlation to higher mumps titer to lesser severity of COVID disease.

I wonder how it works for those of us who had the actual mumps disease, not the vaccination.

@doublestop, I'm not @OhioBlues, but here ya go

Not sure if I am allowed to post his YouTube of it (he's not MSM/TOS issue?).. but google for his ORIGINAL these words on YouTube from March 31
"EFT (Tapping) and Constricted Breathing with David Abel. Emotional Freedom Technique"

and he did an updated one at May 16th he posted by searching on YouTube these words for the REAL David Abel channel
"Expand Your Lungs. Virus, Pneumonia, COPD, Asthma

HTH

Thanks, Dixiegirl, those will be helpful!

COVID was first reported in December, 2019. In China. That’s why it’s called COVID-19. NO ONE knew much about it in early 2020. And it’s not like the Chinese were quick to alert the world.

The whole point is that medical experts in epidemiology have been warning about possible global pandemics for the past decade (or even longer). The previous administration had early warning systems in place and strategic agencies formed in order to have a more rapid response after the Ebola scare and SARS and MERS etc. The current admin was debriefed and warned on the subject multiple times prior to the COVID-19 outbreak, but instead of maintaining their vigilance, they chose to disband the NSC directorate for global health and security and bio-defense, reassign the personnel, cut funding to vital programs (like Predict), and also cut funding to the CDC all of which likely had a negative impact on the US' response readiness when COVID-19 eventually reared its ugly head.

It's inexcusable, imo.

And all this activity is going on in Texas??? Why would you be having no problem getting supplies and testing, but Ohio does?

I feel that people have been quite positive about the job DeWine is doing in Ohio?
That’s how we’ve always done things here. Some say it’s like a whole different country. Mystery to me, as I’m a native to the state, it’s all I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member