Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #127

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the April, 2019 PC, Carter never actually stated the parked car from noon to 5pm was believed to be directly connected to the suspect or the crime, although many people assumed it must’ve been because it was mentioned during the same PC as the New Direction.

The actual snip of him speaking has been linked here many times already and sorry, I don’t have it at hand but he asked the driver to please contact the Delphi police dept.

Based on that I’ve always thought this was a person who had provided an earlier tip and LE was having difficulty contacting him or her for some type of follow-up or further information regarding that tip.

It’d be highly unlikely Carter would expect the killer to contact LE.

Revisiting early tips by LE has been mentioned several times and not everyone keeps their contact/registration/DL info up to date or maybe it was recorded incorrectly at the onset. JMO
Yes, in a subsequent interview, ISP Sgt Riley stated they didn't know of a connection between the vehicle and the crime and the occupant(s) may simply be another potential witness.

In doing some internet research today, I was reminded that the reward is close to a quarter of million dollars. Even those who have 401K retirement plans have to save for years to accumulate that much. I can imagine that if there is someone out there that knows or strongly suspects who this killer is, even that amount may not entice them if they are closely related to this killer. But I would think that if a non-family member suspects someone that large of a reward would be an enticement. I know rewards probably don't work in most cases, but in most cases we aren't talking about $250K either. Assuming the one tip isn't buried in the massive amount of tips already received I don't believe there is anyone around this killer who suspects him. He probably hasn't said or done anything that lead anyone to make a connection. If this killer wasn't residing within an hour of Delphi at the time that probably decreases the probability that someone would make a strong enough connection to call in a tip.

I'm thinking this Covid-19 pandemic is working in favor of the killer now. For those who might have some knowledge of the case and come across this guy for the first time - at his work place, in a store, etc. - if he is wearing a mask it might not be so obvious. Plus the mask would distort his voice somewhat. I'll bet this killer embraced the mask wearing and possibly gloves very early on.

Welcome to WS! It's wonderful to hear the opinions about the sketches from someone new, and from an Artist! I've quoted a very early post here, that has the stills that were put out by LE long prior to the new sketch. Some saw these as confusing with explanations that one subject appears to be heavier, with a brown pouch vs. brown hoodie hanging out, a different hat/hair, and older looking. I'd be curious about your observations, comparing these stills. Just offering and looking for personal opinion.

hello and thank you for ur welcome
I am actually quite familiar with the case and the confusion around it
the usual thing for the sketch artist in cases like this would be trying to follow the description from witnesses ..but here you have actual stills which I am sure the artist was also trying to put into the sketch...so it was witnesses vs artist interpretation...which might have caused the uncertainty concerning the first sketch with a clash between the two ...
concerning different stills ....you should take in consideration that its a person in motion so the angle and the light and the posture would play a factor...
personally I do see a hat possibly flab cap or a cap with a hoodie underneath
the face tells me he's on the heavier side...but the clothes might be deceptive concerning his body shape and weight
the general look and body language gives me an age range from the 40s to mid 50s ...perhaps but its all subjective of course
another angle that I have thought about is going back to myself when I was their age
interestingly enough I was way more adventurous and bold than my adult self......I might have come across some creepy guys but I don't think that I ever freaked out ....but I was never completely alone though
when I think of what kind of male would girls of this age consider more likely to be creepy ?
I would say much ( older )... than males closer to their age

Attachments

• 81HNclYCNuL._AC_SS350_.jpg
    81HNclYCNuL._AC_SS350_.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 13
Are sketch artists usually police officers or employed by a government agency? The reason I ask is would the artist(s) who drew the sketches have access to more video than has been released publicly?

Are sketch artists usually police officers or employed by a government agency? The reason I ask is would the artist(s) who drew the sketches have access to more video than has been released publicly?

The person who drew the sketch in current use is in fact a state trooper. His name is Taylor Bryant. I'm not sure if they had him look at more video for the current sketch; it was made just 3 days after the girls were found. We do know IIRC that the first sketch in circulation was a combination of witness and video interpretation and I don't think they've said who created it (it wasn't Trooper Bryant).

Here's a link about Bryant's process: What goes into police sketch? Artist explains process - WISH-TV | Indianapolis News | Indiana Weather | Indiana Traffic

I feel like a defense attorney would tear that "strategy" apart if this ever goes to trial.

It could always be BG in younger age, you know...

There is a certain danger in showing a sketch that would be too much alike LE’s POI, you know? Because even with LE being 99.9% sure, there is still 0.1%. The real margin of error is probably higher.

So showing a “younger” BG, with differently styled hair, etc, would be enough to send the message “we know”, while not drawing the target on the guy’s back.

There is a certain danger in showing a sketch that would be too much alike LE’s POI, you know? Because even with LE being 99.9% sure, there is still 0.1%. The real margin of error is probably higher.

So showing a “younger” BG, with differently styled hair, etc, would be enough to send the message “we know”, while not drawing the target on the guy’s back.

So next PC might we expect sketches released of the suspect as a baby?

They don't put out a sketch when they have a suspect. Law enforcement in the US doesn't operate that way, period. The sketch is proof that they do not have a prime suspect.

hello and thank you for ur welcome
I am actually quite familiar with the case and the confusion around it
the usual thing for the sketch artist in cases like this would be trying to follow the description from witnesses ..but here you have actual stills which I am sure the artist was also trying to put into the sketch...so it was witnesses vs artist interpretation...which might have caused the uncertainty concerning the first sketch with a clash between the two ...
concerning different stills ....you should take in consideration that its a person in motion so the angle and the light and the posture would play a factor...
personally I do see a hat possibly flab cap or a cap with a hoodie underneath
the face tells me he's on the heavier side...but the clothes might be deceptive concerning his body shape and weight
the general look and body language gives me an age range from the 40s to mid 50s ...perhaps but its all subjective of course
another angle that I have thought about is going back to myself when I was their age
interestingly enough I was way more adventurous and bold than my adult self......I might have come across some creepy guys but I don't think that I ever freaked out ....but I was never completely alone though
when I think of what kind of male would girls of this age consider more likely to be creepy ?
I would say much ( older )... than males closer to their age

I have also tried to go back to myself at that age or think of how my kids who are close to that age would act.

I don't think this was a planned meet up. The picture the girls took on the bridge was relaxed and fun and seemed fairly carefree.

Then something happened that was terrifying enough to give them the foresight to start recording. It also seems like they realized the potential danger from a distance if they were able to take the pic of BG on the bridge unless they were already attempting to get away at that point.

Could it be a weapon, did they stumble on something they right away realized they shouldn't have seen?

I don't get the sense BG was trying to lure with something or trick them into trusting him or engaging much at all.

In doing some internet research today, I was reminded that the reward is close to a quarter of million dollars. Even those who have 401K retirement plans have to save for years to accumulate that much. I can imagine that if there is someone out there that knows or strongly suspects who this killer is, even that amount may not entice them if they are closely related to this killer. But I would think that if a non-family member suspects someone that large of a reward would be an enticement. I know rewards probably don't work in most cases, but in most cases we aren't talking about $250K either. Assuming the one tip isn't buried in the massive amount of tips already received I don't believe there is anyone around this killer who suspects him. He probably hasn't said or done anything that lead anyone to make a connection. If this killer wasn't residing within an hour of Delphi at the time that probably decreases the probability that someone would make a strong enough connection to call in a tip.

Good point. Also, if I knew (or strongly suspected I knew) BG, I would be traveling to the police station to report that information. At the very least, I would call that tip line every single day until I got a call back.

Good point. Also, if I knew (or strongly suspected I knew) BG, I would be traveling to the police station to report that information. At the very least, I would call that tip line every single day until I got a call back.

As time passes, I’ve always been hopeful somebody who knows the killer in the Delphi case might resemble how it came to pass Oba Chandler was ID’d as the killer of a mom and 2 daughters in Florida. The tipster first recognized a sketch of him as a prior neighbour who always gave her the creeps.

“But it took (three) years for S’s many tips to reach investigators. The task force looking into the murders was swamped with leads.”

From 2011: ‘Who was going to stop him?’ Those who brought Oba Chandler to justice await his fate.

Last edited:
rsbm

Wasn't this President's Day or Lincoln's Birthday?

My office is in a county courthouse. I work both those days, and Veteran's Day, while technically the Courthouse is closed & most County employees are off.

This could account for BG's scheduling freedom.

jmho ymmv lrr

Public employees in Illinois had the day off.

IIRC, the sketch artist was the same one that made a sketch of a nearby town's POI and they looked almost identical.
That is when I lost interest in the 2nd sketch.
JMO

If BG had had a dog under his jacket, he would have had to support its weight with one hand. He isn't doing that in the video; that proves there is no dog under his coat. Even a small puppy would not stay in the jacket without its weight being supported—not even for one step. It would fall out instantly.

That's why it's not a bag, it's his hand holding up the dog.

IIRC, the sketch artist was the same one that made a sketch of a nearby town's POI and they looked almost identical.
That is when I lost interest in the 2nd sketch.
JMO
As long as you don't know, who the person is behind the sketch #2, you can't know, if the sketch artist was/is wrong or did imprecise work with the poi of another case or the Delphi case. You don't know, what the witness told him. Maybe, it's not his mistake but the mistake of the witness. :)

They don't put out a sketch when they have a suspect. Law enforcement in the US doesn't operate that way, period. The sketch is proof that they do not have a prime suspect.
I don't know, if you are right. How should LE find the one last puzzle piece (at MHB or not at the time in question?), if they don't show his face, at least with a sketch?

I'm tending to B), IMO.

Would Abby/Libby have known shortcuts, because they were local?
Would Abby/Libby have known shortcuts and he followed the girls, when they tried to escape?

I think Libby must have known shortcuts, because she was not new to that side of the bridge. Although Abby lived on that side of the bridge, so, possibly.

I think he used certain shortcuts because he planned it all, you know? And this is what was probably the giveaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther