NY NY - Colin Gillis, 18, Tupper Lake, 11 March 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Police dig in Edwards on Colin Gillis lead | News, Sports, Jobs - Adirondack Daily Enterprise

Snipped...
...Edwards town Supervisor Jan Lennox said State Police used the town backhoe for digging on Tuesday. He also said State Police had been present two weeks before when machinery on the property was used to dig a 20-to-30-foot circle in the same location.

...St. Lawrence County District Attorney Gary Pasqua declined to say if an arrest has been made but said if one is, law enforcement will notify the media.

Verrrrry interesting, thanks @tarabull for the articles!

I'm not understanding this 'following up on an old lead' stuff.

Was the lead previously followed up on?

If it was credible enough to be followed up on now why wasn't it followed up on previously?

And what's up with the lack of followup articles about the search?

In my opinion, they need more extensive searches using dogs and ground penetrating radar.

Also, I can not seem to find any articles about the fire that previously occurred at the location they searched.

Ugh.

Still hoping for answers.

Justice for Colin!

wow. I've commented on this thread before because I've spent time in Tupper Lake with my parents and their bf's who owned a "camp" there by Higley Flow. It really hits home when Ewards gets mentioned. That's where my mom was born. Some people own camps out at Tupper Lake who do live in Edwards, Gouvernor, Potsdam, etc. It's a weekend, summer retreat. I went to Colin's fb and he has friends on there who are related to me. Talk about small world. I also have people on ancestry who are Gillis. I hope that they find what happened to him soon and that this lead pans out.

Two Tupper Lake men face charges after traffic stop

maybe that one will work @tarabull but I copied the text here too.
Names changed to initials by me.

Two Tupper Lake men were arrested by New York State Police following a traffic stop Sunday night in the village of Tupper Lake.

NT, 31, of Tupper Lake, the vehicle’s operator, faces charges of driving while ability impaired – drugs, while his passenger, JG, 31, of Tupper Lake, faces charges of fifth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, and third-degree criminal possession of a weapon, according to a news release from the state police.

At approximately 8:30 p.m., NT's 2007 Chevrolet Impala was pulled over by New York State Police after the sedan failed to stop at a stop sign at the intersection of Berkeley Road and Underwood Road, according to the release, which states NT refused to submit to a test to determine the drug/alcohol content in his blood.

What about cell phone pings on the evening Colin went missing? We really haven't delved into that.
There can't be that many cell phones pinging at 1:30 am in March in the middle of the Adirondack mountains.

I think there is a good chance Colin's cell battery died so it would not be pingable but what about other peoples phones, perhaps phones that were traveling towards, let's say, Edwards?

I am by no means a ping expert but I know we have them here on WS so I would love to hear their thoughts on what towers would be in play? How would the fact that reception is so poor affect the pings?

I would hope they would look into cell phone pings of people of interest. Also cell phone records of phone calls possibly made by people of interest around the time Colin went missing.

I would hope so too but in the beginning of this case they were really focused on Colin being lost in the woods so while I am sure they would have pinged his phone/looked into records would they have pinged/looked into records of others?

Justice For Colin!

I

I have also scoured the internet for news of the fire. Here is the closest, maybe, thing I could find.

Weird that the recent articles about the search in Edwards all mention the fire at the farm, yet there is not a single article (that we can find) about said fire.

Weird that the recent articles about the search in Edwards all mention the fire at the farm, yet there is not a single article (that we can find) about said fire.

I guess we all did the same search. It's not really surprising ... small towns in the "north country" don't have their own newspapers. The few newspapers left in the region might have a police blotter with mention of a fire but not all are online. If it's a fire of a vacant home, that's not really considered newsworthy. A barn fire where animals perish ... now that's newsworthy. And maybe just depending on what else is happening (other, more dramatic stories get featured). It's just how it is up here it seems. I'm checking constantly for an update on the current excavation but so far nothing has been reported.

Hi all. I was also trying to find a connection and using public records available online, I think I found that connection. I Google searched for Edwards NY tax map and clicked on the result for Tax maps - St Lawrence County ... then I chose the County Web Mapping Portal, then selected St Lawrence County ... in the upper left search bar I started typing Edwards-Russell Rd and a few options show up (I clicked on the one in Edwards NY) ... you can add aerial imagery by choosing the Basemap Gallery button (upper right) and select Imagery with Labels ... if my research is correct, I believe the Old Noble farm is the first parcel you see on the left side (northwest really) of County Rd 24 (just outside of the village) with the large barn just before it. Click anywhere on the parcel to see the owner on record. And that's the great thing about tax maps! I think the satellite imaging is old, before the farmhouse burned down. I may not be correct but based on my crazy, hard to describe research and subsequently finding what appears to be a familial relation to certain individuals that we all know the names of ... it confirms some of what has been publicly speculated about on other forums. Sorry if I'm being too vague here and hope this helps. I know I've been silent for years here but I keep following this thread closely and appreciate very much the diligence of everyone on here ... thank you.

@SunsetGirl

Thank you for going down that rabbit hole to find a connection! I appreciate that you have to be vague here due to no officially named suspects.

I found this The Edwards History and Genealogy Center ... Down On The Farm about the town/farm but I did not find any info that was useful to us here, maybe one of you can glean more info then I did.

I have been wondering: how did LE got a search warrant for the farm? They had to have one, right?

Also, did LE ask the media not to follow up on the search? Not one single follow up on the results of the search seems odd to me?

I guess we all did the same search. It's not really surprising ... small towns in the "north country" don't have their own newspapers. The few newspapers left in the region might have a police blotter with mention of a fire but not all are online. If it's a fire of a vacant home, that's not really considered newsworthy

I take this back. After looking at photos on realtor.com of the farmhouse and considering the history, this seems like it would have been newsworthy, even if it wasn't lived in. There is a police blotter archive at NorthCountryNow.com that appears to include the town of Edwards but I haven't found any mention of the fire yet. I guess it probably doesn't matter.

I'm wondering if the sudden sharp increase of Covid these past few weeks has affected the excavation itself or news reporting? You would think if anything was found it would be all over the local news. Maybe you are right and the media has been instructed to keep this quiet for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member