Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be extreme IMO for a well person to a) decide to leave their partner by disappearing in a dramatic fashion, thin air and on foot with no possessions and b) not to let their parents know they are safe to prevent them from suffering, particularly with a media storm. However minimal their normal contact may be (and we have no idea either way on that).

I absolutely agree, and highly unlikely to have happened in this case based on all I have read, particularly the BBC article they did.

It would be extreme IMO for a well person to a) decide to leave their partner by disappearing in a dramatic fashion, thin air and on foot with no possessions and b) not to let their parents know they are safe to prevent them from suffering, particularly with a media storm. However minimal their normal contact may be (and we have no idea either way on that).

I agree ofc we dont "know" Esther, or Dan, or any of the people we talk about here on WS, as a rule anyway.

We form opinions based on what we read, see, watch, research and deduce. I personally take social media with a pinch of salt. People show what they want you to see.

JMO

I once believed as you did...but this was the first crack in that belief. This healthy much loved couple disappeared for months...as their terrified families appealed for information and hired divers to search the Chicago river. The couple was supposedly just driving home from announcing their engagement to his grandparents....and their car was found, broken into...but they had disappeared with supposedly no money or resources.

WHEATON COUPLE SAY THEY DID IT ALL FOR LOVE

Loving close families...both students at a religious a university. Three months later, they finally relieve their families of their agony...

“The question nagging family members, friends and police has been why the couple, both of them religious and family-oriented, would run away and why it took so long for them to let everybody know they were alive. The letter Tuesday and interviews on Wednesday with a Tribune reporter in San Diego gave some insight.”

Carolyn said that when they left they had figured they would never come back. But when they began to have second thoughts, she said, the possibility of contacting their families was complicated by the unanticipated and intense publicity surrounding their disappearance.”

It’s my opinion that one cannot get a true sense of the “happiness” or contentment of anyone’s life by reading their social media. This would be especially true in situations where the marketing of products...books in this case...are part of the “package” and a-positive message of a joyful lifestyle is a selling point for those books.

Years ago, I read a book...”Exit the Rainmaker” about a very successful college President who ditched wife, job, lifestyle and disappeared. No one saw it coming. He had come to believe that a complete break was the only way to break free of a life that he had come to feel was a set of shackles...to people and responsibilities that emotionally overwhelmed him.

This is most likely an accident. It could be foul play. Or it could be something else. No way to tell from social media what the state of her relationship with her partner actually was. She has spent a month alone...involved in mostly solitary activities. This disappearance happens right before she has promised to return. Her phone appears to have been turned off.

Remember the case on here of the “runaway bride?” Or the young girl who walked away from her family at the airport and was assumed by many to be abducted? Sometimes, an individual needs a break from their life and does not expect it to blow up into a huge media event.
I don't understand your point. Are you telling other people to stop looking or caring about what happened to Esther?

I don't understand your point. Are you telling other people to stop looking or caring about what happened to Esther?

No, of course not. I’m simply stating that there is another option, in addition to accidental death (because time is not on the side of survival) , or abduction with possible foul play.

Why would a discussion of that option somehow indicate “not caring?” It’s one of the options that could mean she is alive and healthy and not suffering or afraid.

The article I posted is one example where GOOD and caring humans made decisions or felt compelled to take actions without regard for all the consequences those actions could cause. And then, becoming media sensations compounded the ability to easily reverse course.

I believe the official search is on hold, but of course, people should keep looking for her. But too much time has gone by for a happy result if she is somewhere off the trail. But her partner and her loved ones need answers, so even that unhappy result is preferable. By all means, I hope every lead is followed, every search continues.

But personally, I’d like to come here one day soon, and find she has returned, healthy and unscathed.

I’ve been following this and don’t have much to add, other than that I think an accident is the most likely probability unfortunately.

The witnesses who passed her on the trail corroborate her husband’s report of her being where she said she was during their last call, as far as I can see.

I do wonder how widely the story has been covered in Spanish media. If it’s not been a major story, it’s possible the hiker who gave her a lift on the 19th may not even know she’s missing or that he’s being looked for.

Hi Sjm,

Can confirm that there has been extensive media coverage in Spain and France.

Last edited:
Satchie, thanks for this. I had assumed people went up one side of the mountain and down the other. So, on the "loop" that Esther is said to have been walking, climbing Sauvegarde would be like an added extra thing to do while she was passing? Rather than an essential part of it?

It depends on her intention. The full loop would have included lakes area.

Absolutely, there is not much fresh stuff you can take with you that doesn't get mulched up in your rucksack. Maybe apples would survive.
IF she did something like this (and I'm leaning towards it being an accident), she might have gone off with someone, maybe the chap with the car. Maybe her post about him giving her the lift was a tease. That would explain why she didn't take her car. That said, she seemed a very emotionally aware person, and I can't see her putting her family through that kind of torture. It would be very cruel.

I agree that this is most likely either a tragic accident or foul play. I hope she is found either way soon for the sake of her loved ones! Of course, she could also be alive and well somewhere, which is obviously the best outcome!

I once believed as you did...but this was the first crack in that belief. This healthy much loved couple disappeared for months...as their terrified families appealed for information and hired divers to search the Chicago river. The couple was supposedly just driving home from announcing their engagement to his grandparents....and their car was found, broken into...but they had disappeared with supposedly no money or resources.

Loving close families...both students at a religious a university. Three months later, they finally relieve their families of their agony...

“The question nagging family members, friends and police has been why the couple, both of them religious and family-oriented, would run away and why it took so long for them to let everybody know they were alive. The letter Tuesday and interviews on Wednesday with a Tribune reporter in San Diego gave some insight.”

Carolyn said that when they left they had figured they would never come back. But when they began to have second thoughts, she said, the possibility of contacting their families was complicated by the unanticipated and intense publicity surrounding their disappearance.”

So, what happened? Why is this significent in another case? in another part of the world? Why the comparison?

Last edited:
Well, yes.

But obviously you disagree. Maybe tell us why.

yes what? it looks like Esther? I don't disagree - if you look at the post I was replying to, that person thinks it looks like some random guy wearing red

yes what? it looks like Esther? I don't disagree - if you look at the post I was replying to, that person thinks it looks like some random guy wearing red

As mentioned, it was the third photo that is the presumed man in red. The first two photos are Esther. Are we all looking at the same photo?

I would love to read that story, but am not finding it at the link. I know it somehow spans Wheaton and San Diego, and the woman's name is Carolyn, they're at an unnamed religious university - would love to have their story in my files!

It’s my opinion that one cannot get a true sense of the “happiness” or contentment of anyone’s life by reading their social media. This would be especially true in situations where the marketing of products...books in this case...are part of the “package” and a-positive message of a joyful lifestyle is a selling point for those books.

Years ago, I read a book...”Exit the Rainmaker” about a very successful college President who ditched wife, job, lifestyle and disappeared. No one saw it coming. He had come to believe that a complete break was the only way to break free of a life that he had come to feel was a set of shackles...to people and responsibilities that emotionally overwhelmed him.

This is most likely an accident. It could be foul play. Or it could be something else. No way to tell from social media what the state of her relationship with her partner actually was. She has spent a month alone...involved in mostly solitary activities. This disappearance happens right before she has promised to return. Her phone appears to have been turned off.

Remember the case on here of the “runaway bride?” Or the young girl who walked away from her family at the airport and was assumed by many to be abducted? Sometimes, an individual needs a break from their life and does not expect it to blow up into a huge media event.

It took me a couple of thoughtful passes through what you wrote, but I do get you. There are elements of this case that make it more possible that this is a voluntarily missing adult (I sure hope so). The indeterminate itinerary, the (possible) rehiking of the same area, the kind of just "hanging out" vibe one can get from what we do know.

Local rangers/SAR are pulling back, as well. But they do not seem to be convinced that she died due to wilderness misadventure, so you are right to propose another theory. There are several, but I hate to think it was foul play at this point.

Very illuminating article 5 Dec by The Chronicle:

They've tracked all the animals and the BF.
The only grey area is the Captain's rationale that she could not have been kidnapped by a human on the mountain. His reasons are too flimsy. But the search dogs would have found something if she was, surely.
Her aunt believes she was kidnapped but isn't specifying where. Perhaps Esther was abducted in the town after all?

1. French police captain says:
"It's impossible to be kidnapped on the mountain. You’re not going to hide her in a rucksack. There would have to be a camping car or something."

2. He confirmed that Esther’s partner of 18 years Dan, 38, is not a suspect - adding that his “movements are covered”.

3. Captain Bordinaro ruled out another theory that Esther was attacked by a bear, saying all the creatures on the mountain are tracked.
(What does this mean? Do they have 24/7 cameras on them? But either way, if mauled/attacked there would be evidence the dogs could detect.)

Very interesting that they've chipped all the animals or use some surveillance technique to track them.

4. Locals say there is a risk Esther may have fallen into an icy pool in a mountain crevice given the amount of deep pools in the area.

(Then the search parties must have looked at the pools first surely?)

Aunt of missing hiker Esther Dingley fears she may have been kidnapped

I searched for info about Luchon as that is the "commune" the investigating police belong to.
Chiffres délinquance Bagneres de Luchon (31110)

These are the 2014 crime stats for the area but it's in French and I'm a bit rusty. If anyone is fluent in French please correct me if I have misinterpreted the stats.

Basically the category "Vols et Degradations" is the sexual crime category. It comprises 65.1% of all crimes in the area. That's a lot! More than any other type of crime... lots of perverts in the area proportionate to population.

I was thinking about the intense Covid lockdown and what effects it might have on locals.

And I read on here about an old case in which a psychopath farmer switched the signpost so female hikers ended up at his farm.

Severe Lockdown effects?:

- a deviant local man with less access to hookers?

- frustration/aggression has built up in a mentally ill man?

- the economy must be suffering greatly in Luchon. Did someone rob Esther for $$$?

Luchon is famous for "wellness and spa" tourism. So that's how they make a living.

But with lockdown there are zero tourists. Is money the cause of someone harming Esther?

* I searched Google News for any recent rape cases in Luchon. A 60yr old pedophile from Luchon was just caught (Dec 2) raping 3 boys in Nepal. Not the kind of case I was looking for but it lends credence to the assault stats for the area.
French paedophile caught in act with three boys

Last edited:
Absolutely, there is not much fresh stuff you can take with you that doesn't get mulched up in your rucksack. Maybe apples would survive.
I don't carry it because it's heavy, bulky, and comparatively low in calories, not because it's mushy. For sweet, chocolate would be a better choice!

Now that I think of it, ED could have had an accident while trying to filter water (f she used a filter, as I hoped she did). No doubt the water source in the refuge was shut off for the winter, so she'd have to get it from a lake or something. Some of the very light filters require you to fill a thick plastic "bag". If you stretched over a water source to fill it, you could easily end up in the drink. At night? Oolala!

I would love to read that story, but am not finding it at the link. I know it somehow spans Wheaton and San Diego, and the woman's name is Carolyn, they're at an unnamed religious university - would love to have their story in my files!
I understood Wheaton is the religious university, and not the Wheaton in Boston. It's in the midwest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member