GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

No idea if this would work, but was thinking about it in the other bizarre double murder..

Let's say familial dna is there because the person had previously been in the house- but wondering if dna PLUS fabric remnants are present, could that prove the person was there when the murders were committed, if the clothing worn on that particular day, prove a match to the fibers at the crime scene?
speculation.
They prob wouldn't be able to prove what the person was wearing on that particular day. And unless a fiber belonging to that person was actually embedded in the wound or on the body, I would think the defence would just say it occurred during their last visit. jmo.

No idea if this would work, but was thinking about it in the other bizarre double murder..

Let's say familial dna is there because the person had previously been in the house- but wondering if dna PLUS fabric remnants are present, could that prove the person was there when the murders were committed, if the clothing worn on that particular day, prove a match to the fibers at the crime scene?
speculation.
Again, I think it would depend if the blood and fibers were located together, mixed or under the deceased body of Mr. D.

I wonder if SS really has something. He could say he does when he actually doesn't. Maybe he's figuring he's scaring the perps. But wouldn't it have been tested by now? And if strong enough, perhaps an arrest?

Instead of blood dna, what about the new advances in hair dna?
Could this be the new technology SS was talking about?

Remarkable research happening on the central coast to fight crime. A lab at University of California Santa Cruz is able to get DNA from rootless hair, and the technology has already been used to crack a major case.

UCSC research new crime fighting tech, help crack major case | Genomics Institute

Scientists proved they can identify criminals using hair left at the scene of a crime

Something I found interesting (to me) as I was sleuthing quite awhile ago. The two male family members had taken over RD's restaurant holdings, I believe long before RD was dead. I'm not sure what exactly they did with that. (???)

They did however, buy into a different franchise, two years prior to the murders - October 30, 2012.

At the time, the agreement was reported in the news to have been a multi-location agreement whereby the brothers agreed to open up two additional franchise locations, on top of the one in 2012, within three years.

So, .... doing the math.... late 2012 is the first franchise.. three years later is late 2015... the clock was ticking. It takes awhile to source a good location, do the due diligence, possibly even build it from new.. and they needed to produce TWO more of them in that time span.

Were there enough resources to adhere to the agreement of two more franchises by the timelines of the agreement, and if not, what would happen then? Nobody knows, except those privy to the details. I would think there would be some kind of substantial financial penalty if the 'multi' part of the agreement failed to be reached, which may reach back into the monetary arrangement made on the first location, ie 3-deal for x-amount, but if you renege on the remaining two, you'll owe THIS much on the 'single' location. It isn't just the franchise fees, it's a huge amount of money that gets laid out to open a food establishment - equipment, permits, inspections, training, staffing. One needs a good heft of cash to make it through until hopeful profitability is established. These are the types of details that I hope SS has followed up on!

Fast forward... the second location opened September 12, 2016. It seems just short of four years after the first one. Although the 3-year timeline was breached (and especially considering there were to have been TWO more within that 3-year timeline), perhaps there was an amenable resolution, if the second was in the works by the 3 year deadline?

For interest, the third location just opened in 2020.
This is a fine analysis deugirtni and imo somewhere on the right track.
Wish there was a way to put a bug in SS's ear.

This is a fine analysis deugirtni and imo somewhere on the right track.
Wish there was a way to put a bug in SS's ear.

'Not sure why but putting a bug in his ear made me think of SS's own words, "...thumb tacks up his butt riding backwards on a bicycle..." :rolleyes:

Openings of note:
Panama City 2012
Destin 2016
Santa Rosa Beach 2019
Were there any others??

I thought so, unless they actually opened four? There seems to be possibly conflicting info?

Published September 4, 2019

New breakfast and lunch spot “rises” on Nine Mile Road

“We totally focus on fresh and quality,” explained Brad Dermond, who owns the Pensacola franchise. “A produce truck pulls in every single day. We don’t have a fryer, a microwave or a heat lamp.”

Dermond and his brother Keith, operate two other locations in Panama City and Destin. Brad stays close to the operation with his wife, Erin, both of whom are not immune to donning an apron to crack eggs and greet customers with their employees.

“We have three kids and all of them are involved in the business,” he said.

First Watch breakfast and lunch spot “rises” on Nine Mile Road Pensacola
-----------
(Interesting that the article was in a 'jersey' publication?)

Anyway, it was said for years that they were to open the third one in Santa Rosa Beach.. but there is a FW in SRB, but at a different address than the one described on nine mile road. I'm not sure if this one's address (1670 E 9 Mile Rd, Pensacola, FL 32514) is also in SRB? It says Pensacola. I don't know my directions around FL well enough to know if this would also be considered SRB? It looks like this location opened in fall 2019.. the first review I found on Yelp was dated September 2, 2019. But the one in SRB was reported to have opened in 2020, but I don't think it was the Dermonds' franchise, but maybe it was? Is anyone else able to find anything?

First Watch now open in Santa Rosa Beach

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by Teresa, Jun 3, 2020.

Your new neighborhood First Watch is now open in Santa Rosa Beach.
Now serving the freshest breakfast, brunch, and lunch daily from 7am to 2:30pm.

---
(227 Dune Lakes Blvd, Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459, United States ??????)

(1670 E 9 Mile Rd, Pensacola, FL 32514, United States ?????????) - Dermonds own
---
Posted May 1, 2019 at 10:13 AM

SANTA ROSA BEACH — A new daytime cafe is coming to Santa Rosa Beach.

First Watch will soon be developed at the corner of U.S. Highway 98 and West Hewett Road. The St. Joe Company, the developer for the project, said the restaurant franchise will be the first in Walton County.

We are very excited to enter the Santa Rosa Beach market,” said Brad Dermond, First Watch franchise owner. “Our philosophy focuses on using the freshest ingredients to create unique menu items served in an inviting atmosphere with a focus on the customer experience.”
Construction is expected to begin this summer. The restaurant, if all goes according to plan, will open in 2020.

Daytime eatery coming to Santa Rosa Beach
---
Is anyone able to find reference to the brothers owning four locations now?

I discovered on my TV how to watch the HLN channel which is often playing that 'Nightmare' series.. if anyone sees or hears of the Dermond episode coming on again, please let me know (with as much notice as possible!)

I thought so, unless they actually opened four? There seems to be possibly conflicting info?

Published September 4, 2019

New breakfast and lunch spot “rises” on Nine Mile Road

“We totally focus on fresh and quality,” explained Brad Dermond, who owns the Pensacola franchise. “A produce truck pulls in every single day. We don’t have a fryer, a microwave or a heat lamp.”

Dermond and his brother Keith, operate two other locations in Panama City and Destin. Brad stays close to the operation with his wife, Erin, both of whom are not immune to donning an apron to crack eggs and greet customers with their employees.

“We have three kids and all of them are involved in the business,” he said.

First Watch breakfast and lunch spot “rises” on Nine Mile Road Pensacola
-----------
(Interesting that the article was in a 'jersey' publication?)

Anyway, it was said for years that they were to open the third one in Santa Rosa Beach.. but there is a FW in SRB, but at a different address than the one described on nine mile road. I'm not sure if this one's address (1670 E 9 Mile Rd, Pensacola, FL 32514) is also in SRB? It says Pensacola. I don't know my directions around FL well enough to know if this would also be considered SRB? It looks like this location opened in fall 2019.. the first review I found on Yelp was dated September 2, 2019. But the one in SRB was reported to have opened in 2020, but I don't think it was the Dermonds' franchise, but maybe it was? Is anyone else able to find anything?

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by Teresa, Jun 3, 2020.

Your new neighborhood First Watch is now open in Santa Rosa Beach.
Now serving the freshest breakfast, brunch, and lunch daily from 7am to 2:30pm.

---
(227 Dune Lakes Blvd, Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459, United States ??????)

(1670 E 9 Mile Rd, Pensacola, FL 32514, United States ?????????) - Dermonds own
---
Posted May 1, 2019 at 10:13 AM

SANTA ROSA BEACH — A new daytime cafe is coming to Santa Rosa Beach.

First Watch will soon be developed at the corner of U.S. Highway 98 and West Hewett Road. The St. Joe Company, the developer for the project, said the restaurant franchise will be the first in Walton County.

We are very excited to enter the Santa Rosa Beach market,” said Brad Dermond, First Watch franchise owner. “Our philosophy focuses on using the freshest ingredients to create unique menu items served in an inviting atmosphere with a focus on the customer experience.”
Construction is expected to begin this summer. The restaurant, if all goes according to plan, will open in 2020.

Daytime eatery coming to Santa Rosa Beach
---
Is anyone able to find reference to the brothers owning four locations now?

Good info!
Hmmm... You've prompted me to do a little more digging.

Dermond family established in restaurant business | 13wmaz.com
''Though Sheriff Howard Sills says they had retired, they earned a living in the fast food business. Records show the Dermonds owned Wendy's and Hardees franchises as recently as the late 1990's.

Two of their sons, Bradley and Keith, followed in their parents footsteps. They own Florida-based Ramsey Development, which operates fast-food restaurants. According to the Florida Secretary of State's Office, the firm employs 700 people and generates more than $14 million in revenue a year.

Previously, the brothers owned and managed Dermond Food Services, a family business that legal documents show dissolved voluntarily in 2001 with all fees paid and no signs of outstanding debt.

Bradley Dermond is also a real-estate agent at Sotheby's International Realty, according to his profile on sothebysrealty.com.''

Random killers, revenge killers, professional killers do not care about keeping the house clean and valuable.

yeah i think this is a good point. there's also the possibility of reducing forensic evidence by keeping the house clean, however in that case i wouldn't expect ANYTHING to be left there at all and obviously we know that's not the case since they kept (returned?) RD to the garage.

Remarkable research happening on the central coast to fight crime. A lab at University of California Santa Cruz is able to get DNA from rootless hair, and the technology has already been used to crack a major case.

UCSC research new crime fighting tech, help crack major case | Genomics Institute

Scientists proved they can identify criminals using hair left at the scene of a crime
Adding this link, which i also posted in the Buckskin Doe thread..
Why This Scientist Keeps Receiving Packages of Serial Killers’ Hair (Published 2019)
Lengthy article..
''Those fortunate enough to have a head of hair generally leave 50 to 100 strands behind on any given day. Those hairs are hardy, capable of withstanding years or even centuries of rain, heat and wind.

The trouble for detectives, or anyone else seeking to figure out whom a strand of hair belonged to, is that unless it contains a root, which only a tiny percentage do, it’s about as helpful as a nearby rock.''

''Until now. Ed Green, a paleogeneticist at the University of California, Santa Cruz known in the scientific community for his work on the Neanderthal genome, has developed a technique that makes it possible to recover and sequence DNA from hair without the root.

And over the past 18 months, he has been quietly cooperating with several law enforcement agencies, using this method to extract genetic profiles from the hairs of killers and victims in long unsolved crimes.

“It was kind of written in stone that you can’t do it, and now he’s doing it,” said Deputy Pete Headley of the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department in California, who was involved in a case in New Hampshire that Dr. Green’s technique helped crack''.

“Criminals think of wearing gloves or wiping down blood,” he said, “but fewer think to shave their head.”

''Though he’s already begun directing some clients to Dr. Green, Mr. Loe, whose company often works with law enforcement, cautioned that as the technique becomes more widely known, it will create new possibilities for surveillance operatives. It would make real a sci-fi future in which evading detection requires carefully sweeping up hair from a room.''

Not tangentially related to the above article, but it did trigger a thought/question about hair. It was reported that hairs from Shirley were found clutched in Russell's hand. Does anyone have any thoughts about why/how this would have occurred?

The only thing that comes to my mind is a scenario in which there are two perpetrators. As one is dragging Russell one way, and the other taking Shirley another way, Russell desperately grabs at Shirley to try to prevent her from being separated from him and manages only to get a handful of hair.

Any other ideas?

Not tangentially related to the above article, but it did trigger a thought/question about hair. It was reported that hairs from Shirley were found clutched in Russell's hand. Does anyone have any thoughts about why/how this would have occurred?

The only thing that comes to my mind is a scenario in which there are two perpetrators. As one is dragging Russell one way, and the other taking Shirley another way, Russell desperately grabs at Shirley to try to prevent her from being separated from him and manages only to get a handful of hair.

Any other ideas?

funny you should bring this up because i was going to ask the same exact question with an additional thought -- could it have been a plant?

because like you, i really only can picture one scenario where Russell tried to stop them from taking Shirley. But if there were 2 perps I'm not sure if RD would even have had a chance to grab her, you know? I would think he would've been too restrained, but i suppose its possible. If he really did grab at her hair, there had to have been quite a struggle then so I'm curious if there were any signs of that such as defensive wounds on his hands or something.

Also makes me wonder though....could her hair have been planted there by the perp(s) as a red herring?

That's a game-changer!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back