TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miller reiterated earlier police statements that there is no indication alcohol or drugs contributed to Landry’s wreck.
Missing Texas State student Jason Landry’s abandoned car did not cause immediate concern; police work to overcome early investigative delays

If there were illegally obtained drugs in his belongings, why would LE state that?

I’m not sure. Even just statistically (setting aside who the driver in this case is) the chances that driving under the influence would be a factor is likely.

IMO, Things that could affect the statement would be 1) if the original statement was made early on, when they might have thought he fled the scene for fear of a DUI and wanted to reassure him to emerge, 2) they were legally prescribed and unopened? 3) they hadn’t checked the backpack (but that seems so unlikely, since it was noted early on that it isn’t uncommon to see temporarily abandoned vehicles in this situation).

:confused:

Last edited:
Miller reiterated earlier police statements that there is no indication alcohol or drugs contributed to Landry’s wreck.

Watched the news report again on the Fox 7 Austin. Backpack was found 100 feet from car with drugs and his wallet inside.
Missing Texas State student Jason Landry’s abandoned car did not cause immediate concern; police work to overcome early investigative delays

If there were illegally obtained drugs in his belongings, why would LE state that?

I have NEVER heard "weed" called a narcotic.
But that's just me and JMO

Agree.

But take note that weed is still illegal in the state of Texas!

The penalty for possession is still surprisingly high; you can land in jail for up to 180 days for possession of less than 2 ounces of the drug. In other words, a small amount of marijuana can cost you six months of your life. It's worth noting that courts rarely sentence anyone to the maximum, but that is cold comfort to anyone arrested under suspicion of possession of marijuana in Texas.

Is Marijuana Possession a Crime in Texas? | What You Need to Know

Live News Stream: Watch FOX 7 Austin

Evidence found steps from wrecked vehicle.

100 feet from his Nissan they found narcotics.

Drugs were found in his black backpack. The bag also had his wallet inside.
wowsers!
We need to figure the nature of the narcotics and the quantity cos this could potentially change everything.
It's really weird, Miller was cited yesterday as re-stating no drugs or alcohol were involved..
now this?
Were TES informed at all?

We don't know if they were "illegal" or a prescription, yet.

You can get a DUI for over-the-counter medication if it impairs driving, so whether drugs found at the scene were legally prescribed wouldn’t preclude them from being a factor in an accident.

If they were prescribed and/or pharmacy-packaged and unopened, then there would be a good circumstantial case that they were not a factor.

My heart is sinking because somehow I knew it was coming, but I was hoping Jason would be found before the world started picking him apart. This news could be the tip of an iceberg or it could be a pain reliever he was prescribed, but now his life will be dissected in every way. I feel for his family, and wish peace for them.
I agree, however, I believe LE/media would state prescription medication as opposed to drugs.

I have NEVER heard "weed" called a narcotic.
But that's just me and JMO
It is, from the word nar'co, meaning to sedate or paralyse.
It gets confusing because US drug classifications are in schedules.

United Nations[edit]
Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, 1961[edit]
The adoption of this Convention is regarded as a milestone in the history of international drug ban. The Single Convention codified all existing multilateral treaties on drug control and extended the existing control systems to include the cultivation of plants that were grown as the raw material of narcotic drugs. The principal objectives of the Convention are to limit the possession, use, trade, distribution, import, export, manufacture and production of drugs exclusively to medical and scientific purposes, and to address drug trafficking through international cooperation to deter and discourage drug traffickers. The Convention also established the International Narcotics Control Board, merging the Permanent Central Board and the Drug Supervisory Board.[8]

The 1961 Convention seeks to control more than 116 drugs that it classifies as narcotic. These include:

• plant-based products such as opium and its derivatives morphine, codeine and heroin (the primary category of drug listed in the Convention);
  • synthetic narcotics such as methadone and pethidine; and
  • cannabis, coca and cocaine.
The Convention divides drugs into four groups, or schedules, in order to enforce a greater or lesser degree of control for the various substances and compounds. Opium smoking and eating, coca leaf chewing, cannabis resin smoking and the non-medical use of cannabis are prohibited. The 1972 Protocol to this Convention calls for increased efforts to prevent illicit production of, traffic in and use of narcotics as defined by the Convention, while highlighting the need to provide treatment and rehabilitation services to drug abusers.[9] Narcotic - Wikipedia

Drug Scheduling
There is a long list of narcotic drugs, I'm assuming it is weed in a small quantity because I am prejudiced in that is what I would expect a young college kid to have.
If going home for the holiday, there would not be a whole point in swallowing a heap of MDMA for a Christmas dinner with sober people.
Ditto cocaine, plates would all be rattling and so would the table..
But what do I know?

wowsers!
We need to figure the nature of the narcotics and the quantity cos this could potentially change everything.
It's really weird, Miller was cited yesterday as re-stating no drugs or alcohol were involved..
now this?
Were TES informed at all?

There is some confusion here. Tim Miller is from TES. Caldwell County Sheriff's Sergeant William Miller has been the spokesperson for the sheriff's department, and he is the one who said alcohol and drugs were not suspected.

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry face hurdles as physical search ends

Live News Stream: Watch FOX 7 Austin

Evidence found steps from wrecked vehicle.

100 feet from his Nissan they found narcotics.

Drugs were found in his black backpack. The bag also had his wallet inside.
Just thinking aloud...

So his wallet was in his backpack which we already knew had been found. I would think in finding the wallet in the backpack, the narcotics would have been found at the same time. So why are they deciding to report on this now vs the same time they reported his wallet being found?
If it were legally prescribed meds, what is the media’s reasoning for reporting it at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim